Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

elections and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Andrew Montague (Dublin NW) has a video on SM and mentions cycling on his leaflets

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

jd wrote: »
    Andrew Montague (Dublin NW) has a video on SM and mentions cycling on his leaflets

And was largely responsible for starting the DublinBikes scheme, IIRC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he was also a founder member of the velvet underground:
    15543270923199973_lg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thud

played 5-aside against Monto years ago..he used to wear a full Ireland kit...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not cycling related (bar that this chap is a keen cyclist), but he's director of the national biodiversity centre, so this is hi area of expertise:

https://twitter.com/LiamLy/status/1224249330112040960

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

SF have a separate biodiversity policy which is quite good. Probably should've put it in the manifesto.

AFAIK, on climate voting record, PBP, SD, Greens and solidarity are joint first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Robbed from the Bike Park Ireland thread in the Mountain Bike subforum but Josepha Madigan was out on the campaign "trail" at the GAP in Glencullen recently. When pushed on the insurance crisis facing outdoor sports/tourism centre's apparently her response was to suggest that those finding difficulty finding insurance cover should find out from similar companies where they have got their current policy:rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/josephamadigan/status/1224242941885067264

cunavalos wrote: »
    her response was to suggest that those finding difficulty finding insurance cover should find out from similar companies where they have got their current policy
    and that she can recommend a good solicitor's firm with experience in dealing with spurious insurance claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭conkennedy

buffalo wrote: »

That he was. It was also a small reasons why many of the tech companies came to Dublin - they're very in favour of their staff commuting by bike - very popular in Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Bus connect came up in conversation with a canvasser and they tried to to tell me about the time they got hit by a cyclist when I talked about how its inadequate for cycling.
    Told them it had nothing to do with anything and I didn't start the conversation by asking if they drove so I could tell them about the time I was hit by a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Shay Brennan, on Twitter at least, gives the impression of being reasonably clued in about transport and cycling, so this might be good:
    https://twitter.com/fiachkelly/status/1224660503936540672

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Shay Brennan, on Twitter at least, gives the impression of being reasonably clued in about transport and cycling, so this might be good:

He does have some good promises on transport but not convinced FF are the team to deliver any of it.
    https://twitter.com/shaybrennan/status/1222863610591969280?s=21

I know exactly what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I find it bizarre that his running mate in that constituency is Deirdre Conroy, who scraped the last seat in Kimmage Rathmines during the local elections on the single issue of opposition to Bus Connects.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I find it bizarre that his running mate in that constituency is Deirdre Conroy, who scraped the last seat in Kimmage Rathmines during the local elections on the single issue of opposition to Bus Connects.

Thanks for the heads up! Read up on that here https://irishcycle.com/2019/06/14/attack-on-public-transport-campaigner-a-step-too-far-in-war-on-busconnects/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

huh, that means he probably called to us too and i missed him. i was hoping to talk to him, had heard he was personally decent but i wanted to give an FGer a few thoughts that have been rattling round in my head.

I met him a few times a long time before he was a TD and he's a decent skin.

Incidentally I knew him through a fellow photography student who was doing a photo project on corruption and had us chuck on suits and pose for pics. As a result, there are photos on a hard drive somewhere of me handing Rock a brown envelope and shaking his hands. I always wondered what would happen if he fell out with the mutual friend and those pics surfaced, though they're very pantomimey.

I admire his stance on expenses and he at least made an effort to sort out the Ticketmaster stuff.
    smacl wrote: »
    Just waiting to see which if any of my local candidates owns up to building the ridiculous new roundabout in Scholarstown which has brought local traffic to a standstill and made an otherwise pleasant cycle far more dodgy. Apparently it is suppose to be a piece of cycling infrastructure too. The lads from "Dumb and Dumber" could have come up with a better design.

Hey, I'm local to you too, but only since mid 2018. What did this junction look like previously? Drive this stretch in the mornings and its a nightmare, thankfully the cycle takes me the opposite direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

How does one upload an image into a post. I go through the motions but when I hit Post, the image isn't there. Do I need special privileges?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

buffalo wrote: »

Correct. Got a **** load of flak for it at the time too but powered on through.

https://irishcycle.com/2019/06/14/attack-on-public-transport-campaigner-a-step-too-far-in-war-on-busconnects/

Great picture in that article. I can count about a dozen or so vehicles in the visible portion of that "bus lane" and only one that might possibly be a minibus (though I think it's a van).

Probably be the same number on the other side if people weren't having to get around the guy parked there. (Edit: ah he's waiting at the pedestrian lights). The blue car seems indecisive over whether to block the bus lane or not. Best to hedge one's bets and straddle both lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I admire his stance on expenses and he at least made an effort to sort out the Ticketmaster stuff.

Not exactly a top priority issue for a national legislator - cost of nice-to-have events, but not really essential services

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Not exactly a top priority issue for a national legislator - cost of nice-to-have events, but not really essential services

Oh I agree entirely, it's just one of those things that was accomplished in a measurable way and it benefited me to some extent.

• Advertisement

How does one upload an image into a post. I go through the motions but when I hit Post, the image isn't there. Do I need special privileges?
    manage attachments > browse > upload

the kicker is that the window which pops up is too narrow to show the 'upload' button - you need to scroll across or enlarge the window to see it.

I'd be tempted to take him up on his offer so he can waste resources on my 11th preference vote.

I understand that he also wrote the first Linux kernel.

https://twitter.com/OConnorOisin/status/1225561490071150594/photo/1

My mam was only telling me the other day this was a thing way back when they used collect my grandparents to go to vote as they lived on the outskirts of town.

One year involved making them wait outside a pub with my grand dad inside :D

My mam was only telling me the other day this was a thing way back when they used collect my grandparents to go to vote as they lived on the outskirts of town.

Sinn Féin have been doing a free taxi service to the ionad votála in my mother-in-law's neighbourhood for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I remember it being a thing back in the 80s and it's still a thing in many places.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Sinn Féin have been doing a free taxi service to the ionad votála in my mother-in-law's neighbourhood for years.

They also do free taxi services to the more remote parts of the Dublin Mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Saw this. Nice and handy reference graph.

• Advertisement

Grassey wrote: »
    Saw this. Nice and handy reference graph.
    It confirms what seemed to be in progress a year or two ago: Greens, SDs and Labour aligning on Green-ish issues. Partly, I presume, so they can form a bloc of a dozen or so seats. Hopefully also because they all think it's the right thing to do.

Advertisement