Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf in Dublin.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dublin72

joyceee84 wrote: »
    Yeah the plan is to cycle and leave my clubs there... Only a 6km cycle from work... There's method to my madness (kinda)

You can hire a locker. Think they might be €50 per year. I don't have one so you will need to check price.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 joyceee84

Dublin72 wrote: »
    You can hire a locker. Think they might be €50 per year. I don't have one so you will need to check price.

Yeah i actually rang and queried that,only 30e for the year which would be a great help!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

joyceee84 wrote:
    Yeah i actually rang and queried that,only 30e for the year which would be a great help!

You'll be nicely warmed up after the cycle up there too.

First Up wrote: »
    You'll be nicely warmed up after the cycle up there too.

Yeah I'd imagine there'll be a fine line between warmed up and dead but I'll give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah I'd imagine there'll be a fine line between warmed up and dead but I'll give it a go!

Stackstown is a great course, I only joined last year. Its quite tough due to hillyness as people have mentioned. I really enjoy the challenge though and now I'm fairly confident hitting balls below and above my feet. I feel like it gives me a good all round game. I haven't played another course in a while though so maybe I'm just talking ****.

I'm a cyclist and live nearby. I've toyed with the idea of cycling up but to be honest it's a very tough cycle, even when you get to the main gate which is a significant climb then you go down hill before a really steep climb to the clubhouse. To give you an idea, in a car it usually needs be done in 2nd gear. I've never cycled it but I have done mountain cycling and I'd imagine it will take considerable effort. I reckon firstly play a round then cycle up there to figure it out if it's for you

• Advertisement

Stackstown is a great course, I only joined last year. Its quite tough due to hillyness as people have mentioned. I really enjoy the challenge though and now I'm fairly confident hitting balls below and above my feet. I feel like it gives me a good all round game. I haven't played another course in a while though so maybe I'm just talking ****.

I'm a cyclist and live nearby. I've toyed with the idea of cycling up but to be honest it's a very tough cycle, even when you get to the main gate which is a significant climb then you go down hill before a really steep climb to the clubhouse. To give you an idea, in a car it usually needs be done in 2nd gear. I've never cycled it but I have done mountain cycling and I'd imagine it will take considerable effort. I reckon firstly play a round then cycle up there to figure it out if it's for you

Awww man , really appreciate the input.. The hillyness of the course is all part of the challenge so I'm cool with that , but that cycle is starting to sound like a stage from the tour de france! My plan is looking less realistic by the minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

The last 1km of that is at 10%

That is 7-10 mins of pain

gypsy79 wrote: »
    The last 1km of that is at 10%

That is 7-10 mins of pain

They definitely didnt put that quote on the course website!

Awww man , really appreciate the input.. The hillyness of the course is all part of the challenge so I'm cool with that , but that cycle is starting to sound like a stage from the tour de france! My plan is looking less realistic by the minute!

Look on the bright side, you will be able to free wheel all the way home....:):):)

Look on the bright side, you will be able to free wheel all the way home....:):):)

Definitely a glass half full kinda person! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

Yeah i was kind of hoping the 0-5 hcap and 30-35 age profile will play to my advantage but rang castle golf club today and they just straight up said no new members passed the 31st of Jan.

Edmondstown's intermediate program is up to 35, so I believe the joining fee would be deferred until at least that age. Lovely course, great membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Edmondstown is a nice course alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

joxer1988 wrote:
    Edmondstown's intermediate program is up to 35, so I believe the joining fee would be deferred until at least that age. Lovely course, great membership.

A better option than Stackstown for several reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

I am a member in Stackstown and I think the course is good and suits your needs from a golf point of view but cycling is an unrealistic option.
    If cycling is the only option I would rule Stackstown out.

srfc d16 wrote: »
    I am a member in Stackstown and I think the course is good and suits your needs from a golf point of view but cycling is an unrealistic option.
    If cycling is the only option I would rule Stackstown out.

Thanks for the reply.. Got out this morning and played the back 9.. Genuinely the warmest welcome I've ever had at a golf course,all the staff and members were so friendly!

The holes i played i really enjoyed , greens were only recently sanded and hollow tined which isn't a fair reflection of them but the facilities and clubhouse are really good.

You weren't lying about the hills though,the bike option is definitely unrealistic!

joxer1988 wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up... Going to give them a call today and see what the scéal is!

So Edmondstown is also not accepting new members... I see a pattern developing!

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

A bit left field but Lisheen Springs in Brittas is on the 65 bus route (although infrequent) great club and a lot of members from Rathfarnham/ Ballinteer area so you could source a lift easily enough .No problem getting on timesheets

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Thanks for the reply.. Got out this morning and played the back 9.. Genuinely the warmest welcome I've ever had at a golf course,all the staff and members were so friendly!

The holes i played i really enjoyed , greens were only recently sanded and hollow tined which isn't a fair reflection of them but the facilities and clubhouse are really good.

You weren't lying about the hills though,the bike option is definitely unrealistic!

The back 9 is a fair bit hillier than the front 9, especially the blue course which is in play at the moment. The thing I like about Stackstown is each hole has it's unique challenges whereas some parkland courses I've played tend be very samey. You're right the greens aren't great at the moment, worst I've seen them since joining last October.

The back 9 is a fair bit hillier than the front 9, especially the blue course which is in play at the moment. The thing I like about Stackstown is each hole has it's unique challenges whereas some parkland courses I've played tend be very samey. You're right the greens aren't great at the moment, worst I've seen them since joining last October.

Yeah the guys I was talking to were saying that too,didn't have time to play the front and to be honest even if i did have the time it was so busy i would have been stuck behind a heap of 3s and 4s.

I quite liked the layout too,i'd imagine after 3 or 4 rounds you can pick out the holes where there are massive shortcuts on the doglegs. Also like the fact there's a few driveable par4s.

As for the greens,i'm sure they'll be grand in no time,a bit of rain and the growth that we'll get in the next few weeks and they'll be smooth enough!

• Advertisement

Played Howth yesterday as it was pretty straightforward to get to via dart and bus.. Was on the first tee within an hour of heading off so pretty manageable,interesting course with great greens,dangerously tight at times though and another hillier than average track!

Has anyone played Carrickmines? Can't find much info on it other than its a parkland 9 hole...

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Played Howth yesterday as it was pretty straightforward to get to via dart and bus.. Was on the first tee within an hour of heading off so pretty manageable,interesting course with great greens,dangerously tight at times though and another hillier than average track!

Has anyone played Carrickmines? Can't find much info on it other than its a parkland 9 hole...

Randomly played it last Sunday. Side of a hill and quite exposed. Most holes run along the hill. Condition wasn't great as they are re doing some tee boxes.

They have 2 sets of tee boxes and some holes change from Par 4-5 or 4-3 depending on loop.

Lovely views and a nice small clubhouse. Have a practice chipping area too.

I get the impression given its exposed location it only ever gets to an 7/8 out of 10 for presentation at best when compared to other Dublin courses

Ronney wrote: »
    Randomly played it last Sunday. Side of a hill and quite exposed. Most holes run along the hill. Condition wasn't great as they are re doing some tee boxes.

They have 2 sets of tee boxes and some holes change from Par 4-5 or 4-3 depending on loop.

Lovely views and a nice small clubhouse. Have a practice chipping area too.

I get the impression given its exposed location it only ever gets to an 7/8 out of 10 for presentation at best when compared to other Dublin courses

Thanks for the info , really appreciate it. Sounds like a bit of a damp squib overall so , the repetitive nature of a 9 hole is always a worry but if its unique or amazingly well kept it can make up for it , but this doesnt sound like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Slightly off topic, but I just got a mail from golfdublin stating that Hollywood Lakes are offering a week of free membership from the 1st-7th April since they have done up the course.

You have to register for it, but it might be worth a look for someone looking at a Dublin club to have a week of unlimited golf & try a place out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Slightly off topic, but I just got a mail from golfdublin stating that Hollywood Lakes are offering a week of free membership from the 1st-7th April since they have done up the course.

You have to register for it, but it might be worth a look for someone looking at a Dublin club to have a week of unlimited golf & try a place out.

Always thought it was a gem of a golf course, just totally wrong side of the city for me. Good tricky greens and great views. Been a while since i played it, would be interested to see what changes they've made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Have you a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Hoboo wrote: »
    Have you a link please?

If you PM me your email address I can forward the mail to you about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I think someone started 2 2 in the WGC event yesterday, a very rare achievement. The commentator mentioned that Paul McGinley did so in Grange golf club. Don't think he mentioned that Grange starts with two par threes!!!

Old course used to start with the 2 par 3s but now the course that is mainly used is par 71. I don't find Stackstown quite as hilly as people make out, 3 bad holes but have only played it really in the summer. It also depends on which 15/16 hole they use if they use the one down to the road then yep it is very hilly. Wicklow I found worse.
    Edmonstown seem to be taking in lots of members in recent years and could be an option. Citywest as well but I don't really like that course. Ballinscorny is another 9 hole course in Rathfarnham but I have never played it.
    If you are young alot of clubs have intermediate options.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think someone started 2 2 in the WGC event yesterday, a very rare achievement. The commentator mentioned that Paul McGinley did so in Grange golf club. Don't think he mentioned that Grange starts with two par threes!!!

I started 2 2 last weekend.
    2nd one was almost a hole in one, 2 inch putt.
    First one was a chunked tee shot followed by a bladed wedge that screamed into the middle of the pin and shot into the cup.

Funny old game.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    I started 2 2 last weekend.
    2nd one was almost a hole in one, 2 inch putt.
    First one was a chunked tee shot followed by a bladed wedge that screamed into the middle of the pin and shot into the cup.

Funny old game.

Great achievement. Hope you were in the two's comp!

Advertisement