Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf in Dublin.

Options
  • 28-01-2019 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi there,first time poster.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for golf clubs around dublin city , preferably a short commute , that are both a good test and open to new members without being extortionate? (I know thats probably going to be a long shot)

I'm a 4 hcapper that is just after moving up and am itching to get back playing in the next few week's!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

What side of the city are you living on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 joyceee84

dar_cool wrote: »
    What side of the city are you living on ?

South... Ballsbridge area...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Have you a car or are you going to be relying on public transport?

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Have you a car or are you going to be relying on public transport?

Ideally public transport..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

joyceee84 wrote:
    Ideally public transport..

Public transport limits you a bit but Bray and Charlesland are accessible or close to bus/train routes.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    Public transport limits you a bit but Bray and Charlesland are accessible or close to bus/train routes.[/quope]

Cheers for that . I'll have a look at them for sure , itching to get out (probably not this week judging by the forecast) 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

joyceee84 wrote: »
    Hi there,first time poster.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for golf clubs around dublin city , preferably a short commute , that are both a good test and open to new members without being extortionate? (I know thats probably going to be a long shot)

I'm a 4 hcapper that is just after moving up and am itching to get back playing in the next few week's!

Cheers!

Luas would get you pretty close to Milltown, but the extortionate bit of your post might be an issue!

GreeBo wrote: »
    Luas would get you pretty close to Milltown, but the extortionate bit of your post might be an issue!

Yeah I've been looking at there , Elm Park and Castle golf clubs websites the last day or so and none of them seem to be on the lookout for members or particularly welcoming to outsiders? Is there a sort of closed shop up here?

joyceee84 wrote:
    Yeah I've been looking at there , Elm Park and Castle golf clubs websites the last day or so and none of them seem to be on the lookout for members or particularly welcoming to outsiders? Is there a sort of closed shop up here?

No, but there's a long waiting list. People put their kids' names down at birth.

No, but there's a long waiting list. People put their kids' names down at birth.

Ah i see..Thats fair enough..Its a pity too as it seems like bar going down to wicklow there isnt much else on the south of the city and the commute north is pretty awkward..

• Advertisement

joyceee84 wrote:
    Ah i see..Thats fair enough..Its a pity too as it seems like bar going down to wicklow there isnt much else on the south of the city and the commute north is pretty awkward..

You are very limited if using public transport. The Stepaside 9 hole is reachable by bus but golf courses don't tend to be very close to the road. If you are prepared to use taxis you have a much wider choice.

You are very limited if using public transport. The Stepaside 9 hole is reachable by bus but golf courses don't tend to be very close to the road. If you are prepared to use taxis you have a much wider choice.

Yeah i know , its definitely not an ideal situation , contemplating leaving my clubs at a club and cycling to it altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

There is a bus route that runs through Grange Castle business park which would get you pretty close to the club I imagine.

Membership won't set you back too much either, but not sure if the course would meet your needs.

Similarly, you could get a luas/69 bus out as far as Saggart which gets you pretty close to the doors on City West.

Again, not too expensive for membership, but might do the job.

Must be a route that gets reasonably close to Edmondstown too

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Ronney

Yea all the clubs round that area (Castle, Milltown, Grange, Elm Park) would have waiting lists of a few years to join. You would also be looking at a joining fee of €10,000 - €20,000. Iy you were a + H/C male or a low single figure female you might find the waiting list a bit shorter if you could add to their senior cup team.

Worth inquiring bout Social/Pavillion membership in the above. You essentially join as just a club house member and pay a guest fee every time you play. Not cheap but probably better than the Huge joining fee.

Not sure how accessible they are for you but you might find something cheaper round Rathfarnam/Stackstown/Edmonstown.

Golfnow have tee times for Clontarf which isnt too far on the Dart.

Weekends would be tricky to get out as most of the above clubs would have large numbers playing in the weekly comps 200+

Do you drive and just dont have a car? if so look at Gocar. Rent for a few hours to go off and play

There is a bus route that runs through Grange Castle business park which would get you pretty close to the club I imagine.

Membership won't set you back too much either, but not sure if the course would meet your needs.

Similarly, you could get a luas/69 bus out as far as Saggart which gets you pretty close to the doors on City West.

Again, not too expensive for membership, but might do the job.

Thanks for that!
    Never even looked at Citywest but if its manageable that could be a decent shout.. Grange looks like an unusual set up with the par being 68 and having the 6 extra holes..

joyceee84 wrote:
    Yeah i know , its definitely not an ideal situation , contemplating leaving my clubs at a club and cycling to it altogether!

Don't think club storage is very widely available. You could find yourself cycling a long way.

Don't think club storage is very widely available. You could find yourself cycling a long way.

Oh really? Back home most places had lockers for them , was always handy.. I'd be a bit of a sight with the bag on my back going across the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Back in the day without a car I remember taking the dart a few times to play in woodbrook. Very doable though iirc was still a fair walk from the station (20-25 minutes). Probably a bus stop closer but carrying clubs on a bus just a step too far for me. Haven’t played it in years but a decent course and fair enough test for a 4 handicapper I would think.

Back in the day without a car I remember taking the dart a few times to play in woodbrook. Very doable though iirc was still a fair walk from the station (20-25 minutes). Probably a bus stop closer but carrying clubs on a bus just a step too far for me. Haven’t played it in years but a decent course and fair enough test for a 4 handicapper I would think.

Pretty sure there's a bus that stops outside Woodbrook. A par 5 walk from there to the clubhouse!

Pretty sure there's a bus that stops outside Woodbrook. A par 5 walk from there to the clubhouse!

Yes I’m sure your right. The 145 goes from city centre on that route I think so that would seem very viable to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Portmarnock Hotel Links is about 20min walk from Dart or €6 in a taxi , there is a few upcoming comps in link below , course is in excellent condition at the moment .

https://www.portmarnock.com/open-events.html

Thats excellent , thanks for that , never heard of Woodbrook to be honest , just took a quick look online and it looks viable and a tough little track!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Thanks for that!
    Never even looked at Citywest but if its manageable that could be a decent shout.. Grange looks like an unusual set up with the par being 68 and having the 6 extra holes..

Think you might have slightly crossed wires on that. Pretty sure City West is par 68/69 (used to be 71/72 but they shortened the course years ago)

Grange Castle is a par 72. There is an extra 7 hole course in the back alright, which are old holes from the course when it was originally opened

londonred wrote: »
    Portmarnock Hotel Links is about 20min walk from Dart or €6 in a taxi , there is a few upcoming comps in link below , course is in excellent condition at the moment .

https://www.portmarnock.com/open-events.html

Looks like great value for sure,could be a bit of a rude awakening for my first round of the year and second in 3 months though!

Think you might have slightly crossed wires on that. Pretty sure City West is par 68/69 (used to be 71/72 but they shortened the course years ago)

Grange Castle is a par 72. There is an extra 7 hole course in the back alright, which are old holes from the course when it was originally opened

You're spot on there , i was looking at "Grange" not "Grange Castle" golf club.. Looks lovely but like alot of them a bit awkward to get to it seems... Might have to put getting a car ahead of membership!

Thats excellent , thanks for that , never heard of Woodbrook to be honest , just took a quick look online and it looks viable and a tough little track!

No worries. It’s a course with a bit of history, having hosted the first irish Open of the modern era, sometime in 1970s. A parkland course with a linksy vibe to a lot of it, can get very windy when you turn onto the stretch of coastal holes, but lovely on a fine day.

Portmarnock links (not same as old portmarnock to be clear) is an excellent shout too.

No worries. It’s a course with a bit of history, having hosted the first irish Open of the modern era, sometime in 1970s. A parkland course with a linksy vibe to a lot of it, can get very windy when you turn onto the stretch of coastal holes, but lovely on a fine day.

Portmarnock links (not same as old portmarnock to be clear) is an excellent shout too.

Yeah both look very appealing... Might do a test run with the carry bag on the bus to woodbrook and see how that goes in the next few days and then chance portmarnock links next week... Thanks again for the info!

Best of luck. Grange Castle is or was a public course I think. Long time since played it but always thought it was very reasonable in terms of cost and quality of course.

It hosted the Irish Open for a few years back in the day!

• Advertisement

It hosted the Irish Open for a few years back in the day!

Yeah I'd say its no picnic when the wind blows even a little!

Advertisement