Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf in Dublin.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,055 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

joyceee84 wrote: »
    You're spot on there , i was looking at "Grange" not "Grange Castle" golf club.. Looks lovely but like alot of them a bit awkward to get to it seems... Might have to put getting a car ahead of membership!

FWIW Grange has gone the other way and is Par 71 with 6 extra holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Clontarf has lockers for clubs. Tight course and been in great nick when I been there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

gypsy79 wrote:
    Clontarf has lockers for clubs. Tight course and been in great nick when I been there

Certainly accessible on public transport - and open for membership. A bit too quirky for my taste but it ticks several boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

If public transport is required courses around Dublin that would come to mind are Elm Park, Killiney, Castle, Grange, Woodbrook, Clontarf, Royal Dublin, Hermitage, Castleknock

bmay529 wrote:
    If public transport is required courses around Dublin that would come to mind are Elm Park, Killiney, Castle, Grange, Woodbrook, Clontarf, Royal Dublin, Hermitage, Castleknock

I think cost and membership availability are also factors for the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 joyceee84

Thanks again for all the advice folks.. Have pretty much narrowed it down to the Rathfarnham area as i'll be working nearby. Does anyone have any thoughts on Grange , Kilmashogue , Stackstown or Castle golf clubs? Course condition and general feel of the places...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dublin72

Thanks again for all the advice folks.. Have pretty much narrowed it down to the Rathfarnham area as i'll be working nearby. Does anyone have any thoughts on Grange , Kilmashogue , Stackstown or Castle golf clubs? Course condition and general feel of the places...

Grange and Castle are two fantastic mature parkland courses always in great condition. I would prefer the Castle but little in it. Both have a hefty joining fee at about €15k. You may have to wait to get in, networking in the bar, interview etc.

I am a member of Stackstown and a really good course always in good condition. Greens are really good, great club atmosphere and inter club comps. A little hilly in parts (9 and 18) but the extent of this is generally overstated. No entrance fee at the moment.

Haven't played Kilmashogue in nearly 20 years so not in a position to comment. Was a nine hole course when I played it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

The general consensus on Stackstown is usually that it's very hilly & you'll have very few flat lies.

Edmondstown is relatively close to those clubs too, so could be worth a look for you. It's a nice little parkland course, but maybe not with the prestige of some of the ones you're looking at above

The general consensus on Stackstown is usually that it's very hilly & you'll have very few flat lies.

Edmondstown is relatively close to those clubs too, so could be worth a look for you. It's a nice little parkland course, but maybe not with the prestige of some of the ones you're looking at above

Edmondstown is a nice track too. Not as good as Grange or Castle but the joining fee is more modest, Maybe €5k ish but you would need to phone to check.
    There is also Rathfarnham close by. Again a good track with 18 holes now. I think there may be an modest entrance fee but you would need to check.

Castle is by far the best of those but almost impossible to get in.

Grange next best but also a long wait.

Edmonstown is the best combination of quality/value/availability of those four but Rathfarnham is worth a look.

I don't like Stackstown at all. Hilly and some downright silly holes. But Harrington learned the game there so what do I know.

• Advertisement

Dublin72 wrote: »
    Grange and Castle are two fantastic mature parkland courses always in great condition. I would prefer the Castle but little in it. Both have a hefty joining fee at about €15k. You may have to wait to get in, networking in the bar, interview etc.

I am a member of Stackstown and a really good course always in good condition. Greens are really good, great club atmosphere and inter club comps. A little hilly in parts (9 and 18) but the extent of this is generally overstated. No entrance fee at the moment.

Haven't played Kilmashogue in nearly 20 years so not in a position to comment. Was a nine hole course when I played it.

Cheer's for that. I'm actually planning on getting out in Stackstown next week to have a look as it seems like really good value for the location and style of course..

What are practice facilities like if you don't mind me asking?

What age group would you be in and would you be playing interclub, junior cup etc?

Makes it easier to join tbh

First Up wrote: »
    Castle is by far the best of those but almost impossible to get in.

Grange next best but also a long wait.

Edmonstown is the best combination of quality/value/availability of those four but Rathfarnham is worth a look.

I don't like Stackstown at all. Hilly and some downright silly holes. But Harrington learned the game there so what do I know.

Appreciate the input , Edmonstown does look like a nice spot but the 5k joining fee is a bit hefty.. Finding it hard to come to terms with the fees up here when you can join the likes of Galway Bay back home for under 1k and with no fee!

GreeBo wrote: »
    What age group would you be in and would you be playing interclub, junior cup etc?

Makes it easier to join tbh

Yeah i was kind of hoping the 0-5 hcap and 30-35 age profile will play to my advantage but rang castle golf club today and they just straight up said no new members passed the 31st of Jan.

Yeah i was kind of hoping the 0-5 hcap and 30-35 age profile will play to my advantage but rang castle golf club today and they just straight up said no new members passed the 31st of Jan.

Yeah you might have just missed the boat tbh.
    Think it's the same story in grange. New pavilions are taken every month though, so that might interest you?
    Limited playing rights but your sub gets taken off your joining fee and you get unlimited access to practice areas and the extra 6 holes when not in play.

Yeah you might have just missed the boat tbh.
    Think it's the same story in grange. New pavilions are taken every month though, so that might interest you?
    Limited playing rights but your sub gets taken off your joining fee and you get unlimited access to practice areas and the extra 6 holes when not in play.

Yeah i'd rather have full playing rights if i can manage it somewhere but if not i suppose its always an option.

joyceee84 wrote:
    Appreciate the input , Edmonstown does look like a nice spot but the 5k joining fee is a bit hefty.. Finding it hard to come to terms with the fees up here when you can join the likes of Galway Bay back home for under 1k and with no fee!

Well you wouldn't be going to Galway Bay by public transport. There's lots of good courses with no joining fee close to Dublin but if you insist on taking the bus you are making it hard for yourself.

Well you wouldn't be going to Galway Bay by public transport. There's lots of good courses with no joining fee close to Dublin but if you insist on taking the bus you are making it hard for yourself.

Fair point. Is there anywhere else i haven't seen mentioned on the southern edge of the city that you would recommend. I'll be based near leopardstown for work and plan on commuting from there in the evenings so thought rathfarnham area was best suited?

joyceee84 wrote:
    Fair point. Is there anywhere else i haven't seen mentioned on the southern edge of the city that you would recommend. I'll be based near leopardstown for work and plan on commuting from there in the evenings so thought rathfarnham area was best suited?

Leapardstown Racecourse.

Yeah i'd rather have full playing rights if i can manage it somewhere but if not i suppose its always an option.

Well i was thinking you could build up to that but still get the benefit of golf/ practice after work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Commentator at WGC just bigged up Grange anyway.

Mushy wrote: »
    Commentator at WGC just bigged up Grange anyway.

Really? Whats the connection?

Really? Whats the connection?

McGinleys home course.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

From memory and it is a long time since I played it there used be shortcuts you could take on a lot of holes when playing Stackstown that reduces the effect of the hills and it might take a couple of rounds to figure them out or play with a member. Castle and grange are good courses but difficult and expensive to get into. Edmonstown is a fine course. Can't comment on the others as I never played them.

Cheer's for that. I'm actually planning on getting out in Stackstown next week to have a look as it seems like really good value for the location and style of course..

What are practice facilities like if you don't mind me asking?

There is a small short practice area beside the car park for chipping, pitching and bunker shots. Putting green beside first tee. Practice net beside Pro-shop. There is another practice area about 5 minutes walk from club house. It's for shots up to about 200 yards. It's a little tight but with your low handicap you wont have to worry about that as you hit them straight!!!! You need to bring your own balls.
    Michael Kavanagh built a state of the art swing studio last year with all the latest technology.
    There is definitely reduced rates for under 35's so age profile is reducing! If you ring the office they will give you details.
    The bar and restaurant was redone last year. You have panoramic views over the city.
    Locker room and showers are very good. There is also a snooker room and a small gym. Some of the gym equipment was a little bit dated when I was last in it a few years back.

Anyway, go up and play it and then you can decide if it's for you.

Its a fair walk from the bus stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

McGinleys home course.

I don't think McGinley was on commentary duties at the time though, was half dozing though so could be off on that. All I remember is saying something bout a lovely par 3, but couldn't remember the hole

Dublin72 wrote: »
    There is a small short practice area beside the car park for chipping, pitching and bunker shots. Putting green beside first tee. Practice net beside Pro-shop. There is another practice area about 5 minutes walk from club house. It's for shots up to about 200 yards. It's a little tight but with your low handicap you wont have to worry about that as you hit them straight!!!! You need to bring your own balls.
    Michael Kavanagh built a state of the art swing studio last year with all the latest technology.
    There is definitely reduced rates for under 35's so age profile is reducing! If you ring the office they will give you details.
    The bar and restaurant was redone last year. You have panoramic views over the city.
    Locker room and showers are very good. There is also a snooker room and a small gym. Some of the gym equipment was a little bit dated when I was last in it a few years back.

Anyway, go up and play it and then you can decide if it's for you.

Cheer's for that level of info , really appreciate it. On paper its ticking most of the boxes so i'll definitely give it a look!

Its a fair walk from the bus stop!

Yeah the plan is to cycle and leave my clubs there... Only a 6km cycle from work... There's method to my madness (kinda)

• Advertisement

Mushy wrote: »
    I don't think McGinley was on commentary duties at the time though, was half dozing though so could be off on that. All I remember is saying something bout a lovely par 3, but couldn't remember the hole

I think someone started 2 2 in the WGC event yesterday, a very rare achievement. The commentator mentioned that Paul McGinley did so in Grange golf club. Don't think he mentioned that Grange starts with two par threes!!!

Advertisement