Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

And on the Pat Kenny show during the week peddling his latest book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

jelutong wrote: »
    And on the Pat Kenny show during the week peddling his latest book.

His latest book ??
    “How to fit a plug, how to wash your clothes”
    Fuc@king lazy publishing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Folks get used to it.

Radio stations all over the world interview authors.

Nothing sinister it's just standard operating procedure.

elperello wrote: »
    Folks get used to it.

Radio stations all over the world interview authors.

Nothing sinister it's just standard operating procedure.

That’s true, of course. But in RTÉ, it’s the same few, mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

On Monday’s show:
    Bryan Turdriddy calls in to discuss the Toy Show - it’s just 8 weeks or so away now.
    Franc joins us to tell us an amusing tale about the time he left a brooch on the train.
    Maura from Love Island tells us about what she’s going to have for dinner tonight.
    Eoin McDermott will tell us all why we should be guilty about being white.
    Dr. Ebun Joseph will also tell us why we should be guilty of being white.
    Joe Duffy joins us to tell us all about a new buke he’s writing about children who died of obscure diseases during the Arms Trial due to a shortage of versatis patches at the time as they all burned in the Noyeks Fire.
    Dermot Bannon will tell us that we need more light and bigger windows in our houses.
    Lottie Ryan will tell us about her incredibly stressful job reading the Daily Mail gossip website and pretending it’s “showbiz-goss” that has been passed onto her directly from her network of A list friends, like Mondo from Fair City.
    And finally, Kat-trinn Thomas will tell us all about the time her mother had a lucky escape on 9/11, having once been in a plane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Ray forgot to mention RTE's fake news...RTE primetime special, mission to prey. Total fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Ray wondering why the ombudsman isn't referred to as the ombudsperson. Tosser

I'm reliving the physical effects of grief here listening to Niamh Fitzpatrick discussing how grief struck her physically when her sister Dara died in the helicopter crash.

This is the best, in-depth, revealing interview I've heard with Niamh Fitzpatrick. Ray's Interest in and background of psychology degree is evident here, to give him his due in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

This is the best, in-depth, revealing interview I've heard with Niamh Fitzpatrick. Ray's Interest in and background of psychology degree is evident here, to give him his due in this instance.

Missed it..

Not sure if this a pisstake?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Ray's Interest in and background of psychology degree is evident here, to give him his due in this instance.

Really?

From his interview with Tommy Tiernan - only 2 weeks ago:

"I studied psychology and, really, it's just putting jargon on common sense," offered D'Arcy.

"And did you finish the course, like?" wondered Tiernan.

"I did, yeah," said D'Arcy. "But, like, I didn't really learn much at all from it."

"Where did you study it?"
    "Trinity College," replied the presenter.

"And then you became a DJ?!" said an exasperated Tiernan.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0914/1164896-tommy-tiernans-cao-got-nothing-applied-for-nothing/

I'm reliving the physical effects of grief here listening to Niamh Fitzpatrick discussing how grief struck her physically when her sister Dara died in the helicopter crash.
    Haven't heard an interview with Niamh since Friday's Late Late Show

• Registered Users Posts: 54,617 ✭✭✭✭walshb

amlinopta wrote: »
    Haven't heard an interview with Niamh since Friday's Late Late Show

Unbelievable..

McAleese on Miriam‘s show yesterday....

Such lazy production values across the various programs in RTE. How many staff working on each of these programs at vast expense to the taxpayer and they can't even co-ordinate to avoid the same guests appearing at the same time. I know it's the way of the world around the time of book launches and no fault of the guests but surely there should be better planning.

Such lazy production values across the various programs in RTE. How many staff working on each of these programs at vast expense to the taxpayer and they can't even co-ordinate to avoid the same guests appearing at the same time. I know it's the way of the world around the time of book launches and no fault of the guests but surely there should be better planning.

No author is going to refuse publicity for their book. A bit like paper doesn’t refuse ink.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I read an article in the indo today or yesterday about her and the way she dealt with the death of Dara. Excellent piece. Can't imagine Darcy interviewing her though. He's a klutz

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Michelle Obama was talking about drone strikes...when they go low we go high...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Ray doesn't want any world leader using the word man in a debate

I read an article in the indo today or yesterday about her and the way she dealt with the death of Dara. Excellent piece. Can't imagine Darcy interviewing her though. He's a klutz

He was surprisingly good. He understands psychology way better than, eg, Duffy does, even though he can have clumsy expressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

its clear that the contestants are googling the answers on the quiz today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

D'Arcy knows it too, he made a couple of digs about it.

I agree with him though, it's pure devious.

Really?

From his interview with Tommy Tiernan - only 2 weeks ago:

"I studied psychology and, really, it's just putting jargon on common sense," offered D'Arcy.

"And did you finish the course, like?" wondered Tiernan.

"I did, yeah," said D'Arcy. "But, like, I didn't really learn much at all from it."

"Where did you study it?"
    "Trinity College," replied the presenter.

"And then you became a DJ?!" said an exasperated Tiernan.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0914/1164896-tommy-tiernans-cao-got-nothing-applied-for-nothing/

Nonetheless it was a fairly emotionally intelligent interview, whatever about the course he studied being any use (I started studying psychology at UCD and gave up because I thought it had absolute rubbish content with almost no substance) he has a little dollop it natural ability in this sphere, though he can be clumsy at times in his expression. The interview was twice as substantial as the Late Late one, where Tubridy just didn't get the same from Niamh as he was relying totally on his cue cards. Ray was at least able to explore down little tangents and get a fuller interview. Niamh is a very good interviewee, so his work was not difficult, but it went to show that Tubridy, by comparison, is pretty much always confines himself to his cue cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Ray wondering why the ombudsman isn't referred to as the ombudsperson. Tosser

With all that male guilt, I often wonder why he is referred to as a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

I did NOT know Ray D'Arcys Today FM clips would be retained/maintained by Today FM; I presumed they'd be wiped as if said broadcaster had never worked there despite said broadcasters, D'Arcy in this case but say, Anton Savage subsequently when he rode the barge/plane up the coast to Sligo etc. doing Trojan work for the station & creating simply brilliant radio.

Often wonder why Rte didn't simply transfer D'Arcy to 2FM from 9-12; I think he's a better fit for that slot than he would've been if he were to replace Tubridy & Claire Byrne currently; it would give 2FM a fillip it badly needs as it lacks leadership/ownership & struggles badly since G.Ryan departed these shores; perhaps I'm looking at that with rose-tinted glasses and am of a certain generation, one that could set your clock/watch by who was on what station & when & for whom changing such habits meant losing listeners.

Yes I get we've lost Gaybo, Gerry & Larry for example but look at Drivetime on Rte Radio 1; the Presenters've changed (I loved Mary Wilson; Cormac & Sarah will take getting used to) but the slot remains the same; Matt on Today FM & Ivan on Newstalks the Hard Shoulder; what the stations have done however is put a title to these shows; that way presenters can be changed but the brand is supposed to remain the same......

For me, in 00s I'd go into work in morning with Ian Dempsey/Morning Ireland; then it'd be Ray til 12, then Ronan Collins/News at 1/Liveline; then Tony & then Last Word/Drivetime & NTs OTB (awful shame they couldn't keep Second Captains team & current cohort together cos there's a helluva workload across the 7 days!) & during 90s with less choice it was MI, Gaybo/Gerry, Liveline, Drivetime with Larry sandwiched in for Golden Hour/Number One at One/Just a Minute Quiz & Dave Fanning in evening along with Gerry Wilson going back a bit further.

I get Derek Mooney was haemorraging listeners in D'Arcys current slot but 2FMs identity has gone down the pan since they lacked an audience puller like Ryan; D'Arcy would've been perfect.....

Anyway his Today FM Clips're here & they're a treasure trove (Niamh Fitzpatrick who's getting quite the ripple of applause in this thread & beyond was Agony Aunt; Murphys Mailbag was another high point, Fix It Friday was a fore-runner to Google/Social Media & highly entertaining; it spawned 2-3 books)

https://www.thejournal.ie/nw-oct-update-5211282-Oct2020/?utm_source=shortlink&fbclid=IwAR0xcQOvfiJPbHZJteNKicy0fD4M6WY7OuokJ1SK4Hy3CnKCW6ZXTzZNfsk

• Registered Users Posts: 17,260 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ray D'Arcy would be better in the graveyard slot where people are having trouble going to sleep whilst pondering the mysteries of life like [insert banal 15 mins of introduction to his radio show, like bird calls, why socks disappear in the washing machine, letters from the one listener to his show, how everyone thinks his show is great according to the latest opinion poll of RTE kitchen staff and so on and so on]

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    I did NOT know Ray D'Arcys Today FM clips would be retained/maintained by Today FM; I presumed they'd be wiped as if said broadcaster had never worked there despite said broadcasters, D'Arcy in this case but say, Anton Savage subsequently when he rode the barge/plane up the coast to Sligo etc. doing Trojan work for the station & creating simply brilliant radio.

Often wonder why Rte didn't simply transfer D'Arcy to 2FM from 9-12; I think he's a better fit for that slot than he would've been if he were to replace Tubridy & Claire Byrne currently; it would give 2FM a fillip it badly needs as it lacks leadership/ownership & struggles badly since G.Ryan departed these shores; perhaps I'm looking at that with rose-tinted glasses and am of a certain generation, one that could set your clock/watch by who was on what station & when & for whom changing such habits meant losing listeners.

Yes I get we've lost Gaybo, Gerry & Larry for example but look at Drivetime on Rte Radio 1; the Presenters've changed (I loved Mary Wilson; Cormac & Sarah will take getting used to) but the slot remains the same; Matt on Today FM & Ivan on Newstalks the Hard Shoulder; what the stations have done however is put a title to these shows; that way presenters can be changed but the brand is supposed to remain the same......

For me, in 00s I'd go into work in morning with Ian Dempsey/Morning Ireland; then it'd be Ray til 12, then Ronan Collins/News at 1/Liveline; then Tony & then Last Word/Drivetime & NTs OTB (awful shame they couldn't keep Second Captains team & current cohort together cos there's a helluva workload across the 7 days!) & during 90s with less choice it was MI, Gaybo/Gerry, Liveline, Drivetime with Larry sandwiched in for Golden Hour/Number One at One/Just a Minute Quiz & Dave Fanning in evening along with Gerry Wilson going back a bit further.

I get Derek Mooney was haemorraging listeners in D'Arcys current slot but 2FMs identity has gone down the pan since they lacked an audience puller like Ryan; D'Arcy would've been perfect.....

Anyway his Today FM Clips're here & they're a treasure trove (Niamh Fitzpatrick who's getting quite the ripple of applause in this thread & beyond was Agony Aunt; Murphys Mailbag was another high point, Fix It Friday was a fore-runner to Google/Social Media & highly entertaining; it spawned 2-3 books)

https://www.thejournal.ie/nw-oct-update-5211282-Oct2020/?utm_source=shortlink&fbclid=IwAR0xcQOvfiJPbHZJteNKicy0fD4M6WY7OuokJ1SK4Hy3CnKCW6ZXTzZNfsk

Those days are long gone. The lad is nearly 60 behaving like he’s nearly 70. He’s like a grumpy semi senile grandpa

Make sure and apologise to him for being white Ray.

Big blow for D'Arcy as the Saturday night slot is given to somebody else.

https://www.thejournal.ie/deirdre-o-kane-rte-talks-funny-saturday-night-show-5223220-Oct2020/

"Comedian Deirdre O'Kane to take on RTÉ Saturday night slot"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭golondrinas

Big blow for D'Arcy as the Saturday night slot is given to somebody else.

https://www.thejournal.ie/deirdre-o-kane-rte-talks-funny-saturday-night-show-5223220-Oct2020/

"Comedian Deirdre O'Kane to take on RTÉ Saturday night slot"

You mean a big blow to the viewing public. For some reason I dislike her voice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Would have enjoyed more of the TOMMY Tiernan show, but maybe it's best for that one to go out on a high. A rarity for rte.

Advertisement