Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ray D'arcy on RTE Radio 1 **Mod Warning post 1** 27th Jan Forward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

sligojoek wrote: »
    "Yer man from Apple. The other guy from Google."

Do a bit of research. Try Google even.

He can't even do the bloody fundamental stuff for a radio show. What does he even do before going on air everyday? Clearly not mapping out what the show will be about.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

patrickc wrote: »
    He's off for the next few weeks and Kathryn is in, he said this week.

She's a bit too happy clappy but fair better than the incumbent dud.

It's funny how the stand-ins are usually better than the anchor - Oliver Callan for Tubridy being another case in point

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

ATC110 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how this person ever got on the radio.

Do RTE have any standards for ability, talent, creativity, flair or presentation style?

On a plus note, the Ray D'Arcy seems good in comparison.

Have you heard Lottie Ryan yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

So
    So far we have Toto at USA 94,
    Your man that runs FB and Google
    and "Michael" James Comey

Can Dee D4 not see these inconsistencies "lazy mistakes" ?

Its time to publicly call him out

So
    So far we have Toto at USA 94,
    Your man that runs FB and Google
    and "Michael" James Comey

Can Dee D4 not see these inconsistencies "lazy mistakes" ?

Its time to publicly call him out

He clearly needs a holiday, that’s all. He’s tired from all that work, and addled with all those knobs and buttons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭golondrinas

This afternoon Darcy had some travelling US chef on talking about Irish food. Naturally, by RTE standards, the interview was filled with the usual mix of fawning, condescension and so forth.

Anyway they talked about fish and Darcy said something along the lines of:

'surprising for an island nation that Irish people seem to kind of hate fish'

There are exceptions of course but generally I'd agree with the lilwhite on this one.

But am I right in believing our distaste of fish is in some way connected with colonialism and the 'fact' the Brits kept us out of fishing? Additionally our fishing fleet - when compared with other European countries - is quite small.

A lot of our best fish is sold in Spain through the Mercadona chain of supermarkets. Much better quality than on offer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

She's a bit too happy clappy but fair better than the incumbent dud.

It's funny how the stand-ins are usually better than the anchor - Oliver Callan for Tubridy being another case in point

Katherine is brilliant, especially when ive been waiting with baited breadth, to hear how her, her daughter and her husband have been getting on since her last broadcast 😬😬😬

Katherine is brilliant, especially when ive been waiting with baited breadth, to hear how her, her daughter and her husband have been getting on since her last broadcast 😬😬😬
    It's probably no accident that she covers the same ground as D'arcy, as does Brenda Donoghue. They've obviously identified a target audience, the demographic that is usually minding kids at 3pm, and they're appealing to that.

When you're a parent, it can be interesting to hear other people's experiences and their kids' stage of development. Not all the time, of course, but we'd be mistaken to think these presenters are just walking into studio and waffling about their kids. The show is obviously somewhat scripted to provide relatable content.

Tubridy does this too, although with a different focus. He seems to write notes on 'relatable' content from his day, because you can often hear him rustling through the pages as he relates it to the listener.

We might not appreciate that, but they only broadcast this material because it works in satisfying their target audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Is Ray D'Arcy a poor man's Sean Moncrief on 3 times the pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

They almost missed their slot with Russell Crowe as he never got their contact details.

I presume when it did start it went off with "how many goals did you score for Bohs?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,095 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Alert...... alert........ Jedward on today’s show......might be time to give the cat’s litter tray a clean and sanitisation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

What? She has a daughter? And is married?

GET UP THE YARD OUT OF DAT !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,676 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Alert...... alert........ Jedward on today’s show......might be time to give the cat’s litter tray a clean and sanitisation.

They were very good

Two genuine good and honest and clean and gentle guys.....

Hearts of gold....

walshb wrote: »
    They were very good

Hearts of gold....

Is this irony? They're as annoying now as ever.

And the previous cookery thing winner...just had to get in he was gay despite it relating to nothing about being a cook

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

They were very good

Hearts of gold....

They've had their 15 minutes of fame imo time to leave the stage nice an all lads that they are

• Registered Users Posts: 54,676 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Is this irony? They're as annoying now as ever.

And the previous cookery thing winner...just had to get in he was gay despite it relating to nothing about being a cook

They don't annoy me, and my points about them stands.

Good people.

my points about them stands.

Likewise

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

What? She has a daughter? And is married?

GET UP THE YARD OUT OF DAT !!!!
    Youd never have known, would ya?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Straight in with a plug for the show and talk about the daughter.

How long before it’s “Ellie@RTE.ie”?

• Advertisement

This is just a twenty minute advertorial for the TV show. At least it saves watching it now.

I think she's likeable and a much better presenter than a hospital radio DJ like the incumbent

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

She admits to not being able to park or reverse the camper van.

If you're not able to handle one of those things you shouldn't be on the road with it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

How long before it’s “Ellie@RTE.ie”?

shes such a grifter, using her child to make money now. Be some craic if the kid gets to her teenage years and resents her mother for plastering her onto national tv with no choice of her own. Or maybe she'll be grateful for a life long career in RTE, time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Ellie this, Ellie that and Ellie the other. Painful. Did “himself” give the staycation a miss? If he had any sense, he stayed at home.

amlinopta wrote: »
    Ellie this, Ellie that and Ellie the other. Painful. Did “himself” give the staycation a miss? If he had any sense, he stayed at home.

Hmm, the sheets were changed before she left, and it was wonderful to climb into a lovely fresh bed last night.........

He obviously went with them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    shes such a grifter, using her child to make money now. Be some craic if the kid gets to her teenage years and resents her mother for plastering her onto national tv with no choice of her own. Or maybe she'll be grateful for a life long career in RTE, time will tell.

I get the vibe that close call thomas is a machine for pitching ideas at rte, operation covid nation and now this tat with ellie. Wel be seeing clips of this when ellie is on the late late in 20 years time as a light hearted look back before she talks about her new rte show. Wheeling close call around the country in a chair or something.

Its youth hostelling with Chris Eubank level we have reached

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

What’s particularly galling for me about Thomas is how she had used her Operation Transformation role to create a lucrative sideline business in that area, with (as far as I am aware) no actual qualifications in that area. This type of thing should be seen as a conflict of interest but of course in RTÉ it’s all fine and dandy - similar to Joe Duffy and his incessant promotion of his bukes.

This latest farce will see her holiday around the country at our expense, and get paid for it, all the while promoting herself! You couldn’t make this crap up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I get the vibe that close call thomas is a machine for pitching ideas at rte, operation covid nation and now this tat with ellie.

yeah she is defintely making hay out of this Covid thing, this being her second program in a matter of months. Clearly has a direct line into who ever in RTE commissions this sh1t
    What’s particularly galling for me about Thomas is how she had used her Operation Transformation role to create a lucrative sideline business in that area, with (as far as I am aware) no actual qualifications in that area. This type of thing should be seen as a conflict of interest but of course in RTÉ it’s all fine and dandy - similar to Joe Duffy and his incessant promotion of his bukes.

This latest farce will see her holiday around the country at our expense, and get paid for it, all the while promoting herself! You couldn’t make this crap up.

yeah sure they are all at it. They use RTE to get their fame and then make money on side projects off the back of that fame. Miriam must have almost weekly cheques coming in the door for the amount of interviews she does for womens magazines, Thomas the same.

It reminds me of that Stuart Lee comedy sketch on Top Gears Richard Hammond who had a crashed a car at 150mph on the show. Hammond went on to write a book about the car crash and did lots of media interviews to make bank. Stuart Lee said that seeing it was the BBC and taxpayer who paid for his car crash they should be the ones to profit off it, not him :D

Starts about 1.00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah she is defintely making hay out of this Covid thing, this being her second program in a matter of months. Clearly has a direct line into who ever in RTE commissions this sh1t

yeah sure they are all at it. They use RTE to get their fame and then make money on side projects off the back of that fame. Miriam must have almost weekly cheques coming in the door for the amount of interviews she does for womens magazines, Thomas the same.

It reminds me of that Stuart Lee comedy sketch on Top Gears Richard Hammond who had a crashed a car at 150mph on the show. Hammond went on to write a book about the car crash and did lots of media interviews to make bank. Stuart Lee said that seeing it was the BBC and taxpayer who paid for his car crash they should be the ones to profit off it, not him :D

Starts about 1.00

The MC gigs at christmas parties and industry award shows are a serious cash cow too

Advertisement