Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenet (Christopher Nolan) *spoilers from post 475*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just in time for the second wave. Still feels way too optimistic to pin a release that soon from this current present. A lot of those named countries are juggling with a return to lockdown, while god knows where the US will be in September. Half the country couldn't be persuaded to lockdown the first time around, never mind a second wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Homelander wrote: »
    To be honest it's far more likely that neither will be remembered much at all.

Dunkirk is a cinematic masterpiece. That won't be forgotten. It'll probably be appreciated more in the future if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

pixelburp wrote: »
    Just in time for the second wave. Still feels way too optimistic to pin a release that soon from this current present. A lot of those named countries are juggling with a return to lockdown, while god knows where the US will be in September. Half the country couldn't be persuaded to lockdown the first time around, never mind a second wave.

What's it to you whether this film makes money or not? I've seen you mentioning it in other threads as well. Expecting a reply along the lines of something something obscene budget.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

think so , i will try and get an extra socially distant 10 am week day showing after a week or 2 of it being out , i didn't like busy cinemas pre-lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What's it to you whether this film makes money or not? I've seen you mentioning it in other threads as well. Expecting a reply along the lines of something something obscene budget.

I never mentioned budget and don't care how much this cost so something something yourself :) I just think it's insane to open any new film in this climate because the world is still spiralling. If I'm a broken record then so what? Didn't think it offended anyone's sensibilities to stress about industries opening prematurely. Push them back to 2021 and stop this hopscotch

The plot thickens , apparently Ireland is not one of the 70 countries

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

peteeeed wrote: »
    The plot thickens , apparently Ireland is not one of the 70 countries
    I see it's not listed but we're possibly lumped under the United Kingdom. Have they explicitly stated not Ireland? It makes no sense not to.

ixoy wrote: »
    I see it's not listed but we're possibly lumped under the United Kingdom. Have they explicitly stated not Ireland? It makes no sense not to.

Entertainment.ie have a story that we are not on the release list for august

Presumably too small a market to be worth distribution? Cos otherwise I'd have thought our stats were better than the UK. Though whether it's related or not, the film industry is a multi billion one across the water so maybe their lobbyists did their job lol

• Advertisement

Presumably too small a market to be worth distribution?
    Well Iceland is included so... I'm presuming for now it's just us being lumped under the UK.

Well Iceland is included so... I'm presuming for now it's just us being lumped under the UK.

Right. Yeah then you're probably right. Man I hope for the day when terraforming is a thing and we can perhaps move the island away from the neighbours, park somewhere else. Sunnier, by someone more continental :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Even with the current circumstances, I’d be amazed if they’d separate out the Irish and UK releases. They’re usually treated as one territory for the purposes of film releases, especially by big studios. I mean, we aren’t on the list... but it would be unprecedented for them to hold off on Ireland when the UK gets the green light.

Remember most other European countries need English language films to be localised and translated. So that’s why they’d often be separated out into each individual country.

Only issue I could see is if more Irish cinemas decide to hold off on reopening. I’d imagine the likes of Cineworld are holding off until they can throw something like Tenet into 90% of their reduced capacity screens, but it’d be wild for them to stay closed if a major new blockbuster is available (and the public health situation is stable).

Wait til Scotland becomes independent and they'll share the frustration of being lumped in as part of the UK region :D Hey, might actually force companies to rebadge these things as something else if there's suddenly 2 English speaking countries in Europe that aren't the UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,169 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

“So, in the interest of being accurate in our reporting, we waited for full confirmation from Warner Bros. on the date”

With all due respect to Entertainment.ie, surely they should have waited for this confirmation before publishing their article about Ireland not being on the list :pac:

The Content Must Flow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Wait til Scotland becomes independent and they'll share the frustration of being lumped in as part of the UK region :D Hey, might actually force companies to rebadge these things as something else if there's suddenly 2 English speaking countries in Europe that aren't the UK.
    Three. Malta, while it has various languages, is English-speaking. I don't know if its cinemas are treated strangely for distribution purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,369 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well, we'll see what happens. But I have a feeling in me waters that we won't be rushing to go back to the cinema in three/four weeks time. Hopefully I'm wrong, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

mikhail wrote: »
    Three. Malta, while it has various languages, is English-speaking. I don't know if its cinemas are treated strangely for distribution purposes.

Maltese is still their primary language, but they are comfortable in English as a former colony. But you always see/hear "UK and Ireland" as a pairing, never "UK and Malta". So it's more than just language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭splashthecash

This film seems very convoluted - still looking forward to seeing it though.

Although I'm not in a place where I would feel comfortable in a theatre for 2-3 hours so I'll need to hold back for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

tickets booked for imax in cork on 26th. seems mad but when you around 7/8 seats around you are blocked off. going to be about 20% full i would say. mad times, anyway cant wait to see it.

IFI reopening on the 26th, with the 70mm print of this as their main event :) Already had tickets booked for 35mm, so guess I’m going to see this twice :pac:

IFI reopening on the 26th, with the 70mm print of this as their main event :) Already had tickets booked for 35mm, so guess I’m going to see this twice :pac:

went to see dunkirk with the 70mm print in the ifi and in the imax at cineworld and the imax was a million times better . love the ifi but not for "big" movies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

peteeeed wrote: »
    went to see dunkirk with the 70mm print in the ifi and in the imax at cineworld and the imax was a million times better . love the ifi but not for "big" movies

I saw Dunkirk in 70mm in IFI and thought it was spectacular. Although I didn't see that one in the Cineworld's "IMAX" to compare, I wasn't left wanting from the IFI.

Goodshape wrote: »
    I saw Dunkirk in 70mm in IFI and thought it was spectacular. Although I didn't see that one in the Cineworld's "IMAX" to compare, I wasn't left wanting from the IFI.

Don’t me wrong it was still great but it just looked like it was made for IMAX

I vastly, vastly prefer the look of real film to digital IMAX, especially for a film shot on film (IMAX or otherwise). I’m not the biggest fan of the Cineworld screen as it all just looks a bit too digitised for my liking.

In order of preference for a film of this ilk: Real 70mm IMAX, standard 70mm, 35mm, digital IMAX, standard digital :)

Cineworld also re-opening on the 26th to show 'Tenet' on multiple screens, including IMAX of course.

I imagine the likes of johnny_ultimate will be particularly pleased to know they've got a 4D showing too :D

Cineworld also re-opening on the 26th to show 'Tenet' on multiple screens, including IMAX of course.

I imagine the likes of johnny_ultimate will be particularly pleased to know they've got a 4D showing too :D

Now that’s one thing I hated , 4d

• Advertisement
Advertisement