Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenet (Christopher Nolan) *spoilers from post 475*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Basq wrote: »
    Entertainment.ie and The Guardian both gave it a
    pretty damn scathing review! 2.5/5 for EI and 2/5 for The Guardian.

This does not bode well!

Interesting that these reviews claim the actors are stifled as I've read the opposite elsewhere. It's hard to take any critic review seriously these days to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Indiewire pretty scathing: "Humorless Disappointment".

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/08/tenet-review-1234581454/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Basq wrote: »
    Entertainment.ie and The Guardian both gave it a
    pretty damn scathing review! 2.5/5 for EI and 2/5 for The Guardian.

This does not bode well!

I'm not surprised by the poor review in The Guardian, The Irish Times gave it 3/5 and Times UK 5/5. All a game of opinions. Haven't read any reviews so far and will try to avoid any more until after I've seen it, always finds it taints my opinion somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Can't take them seriously after their Joker review; the ultimate fence sitting, afraid to commit but still needs to get its digs in, waffle piece.

And there's my cue to unfollow this thread. :P

What's striking about these 3 reviews is that they don't even bother with protecting the plot from spoiling. Art has been truly lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Humourless ?
    Did this chap think it was a comedy ?:confused:

I'm glad it's "humourless" as there aren't enough serious films being made nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭MfMan

In fairness, Donald Clarke in the IT tries to avoid revealing plot details, but his review is really damning with faint praise.
    Told you it would be a dud, with presumably Inception-levels of silliness and confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Guardian reviewer talks about how her review is "heretical", which tells me straight away that she went in to the screening room with an agenda. Ditto for the IndieWire, who calls it "messianic cinema". They're reviewing the hype, not the movie. "It's my job to burst bubbles, right?"

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, this thread has turned into the inevitable review of the reviews, so I'll back out til people have actually seen the thing and it's not a tedious dogpile session.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

As I said earlier in the thread, Nolan is due a critical bashing and it looks he's getting it from some critics on this one. I think he's avoided it to date mainly because each new film until now has represented new territory for him. A different genre, etc. Tenet however is very familiar looking. The pandemic doesn't help. For some of the reviewers this might have been one of the few times they have been in a public place since March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭flasher0030

MfMan wrote: »
    In fairness, Donald Clarke in the IT tries to avoid revealing plot details, but his review is really damning with faint praise.
    Told you it would be a dud, with presumably Inception-levels of silliness and confusion.

Eh?? You haven't even seen the film yet, and you're gloating that it's no good.
    Actually, the film hasn't even been released yet!!! Get down off that high horse of yours.

You're basing your gloating on a couple of critics who may want to just go against the grain for them to have their little voices heard. If you want to devout your opinion based on what other people think, why not take this on board.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tenet-review-a-delightfully-convoluted-masterpiece-lsqx2gp7l

If it's 80% as good as Inception, that's me a happy puppy. Inception is a great movie, with excellent soundtrack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭MfMan

Eh?? You haven't even seen the film yet, and you're gloating that it's no good.
    Actually, the film hasn't even been released yet!!! Get down off that high horse of yours.

You're basing your gloating on a couple of critics who may want to just go against the grain for them to have their little voices heard. If you want to devout your opinion based on what other people think, why not take this on board.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tenet-review-a-delightfully-convoluted-masterpiece-lsqx2gp7l

If it's 80% as good as Inception, that's me a happy puppy. Inception is a great movie, with excellent soundtrack.

I have seen it. I've returned from the future to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Think I was oe of the few who was bored senseless watching Inception. After about 5 minutes I remember thinking "oh they're doing the Star Trek Next Generation episode". The one with Moriarty. A holodeck within a holodeck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

This RTE hack didn't like it I will reserve judgement, only review I'll take seriously is Mark Kermode interested to hear what he thinks of it
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/movie-reviews/2020/0821/1160527-tenet-150-minutes-of-your-time-youll-never-get-back/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Final trailer not a big fan of the song used, not sure why they used it give me Hans soundtrack instead of this autotuned crap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

From what I'm gathering from the reviews, it's Inception without Joseph Gordon Levitt explaining the plot at every turn. If that is the case, it'll be well worth going back to the cinema for this.

reviews mixed but I'll go see it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Final trailer not a big fan of the song used, not sure why they used it give me Hans soundtrack instead of this autotuned crap

The choice of music in that trailer is really appalling.
    Poor enough trailer,the earlier efforts were alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

glasso wrote: »
    reviews mixed but I'll go see it all the same.
    Most reviews I've come across have been very positive. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 80% currently; https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tenet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Booked for Thursday. As of last night, myself amd my wife will be joined by two other people in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The Nal wrote: »
    Think I was oe of the few who was bored senseless watching Inception. After about 5 minutes I remember thinking "oh they're doing the Star Trek Next Generation episode". The one with Moriarty. A holodeck within a holodeck.

SPOILERS!!! Just about to watch that episode :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Trailer looks and sounds like its going to be one of them modern movies where corporations branding will regularly be a plot point and men wil walk around in sharp suits in slow motion with watches all from the same brand.

Probably watch it on the telly one day when theres nothing else on.

Most reviews I've come across have been very positive. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 80% currently; https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/tenet

rotten tomatoes not a great indication imo really

I find metacritic a better measure

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/tenet?ref=hp

71 there currently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

71 there currently

Good shout, Inception and Interstellar both a 74 on Metacritic. Going off that, Tenet is a decent movie indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

71 there currently
    Yeah but 71% on metacritic is still quite decent, especially for a sci-fi film. 13 positive reviews, 5 mixed reviews, 0 negative reviews they've aggregated for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I'm glad of the (inevitable) negative critic input. I find it tempers my expectations to a highly anticipated film, which this certainly is for me.
    Whatever about the timey-wimey cause/effect head-scratching I expect, I will also still expect classy visuals alongside it, and putting it all together again in my head afterwards i.e. classic Nolan. It's looking good for social-distancing in the cinemas, so despite its tent-poler status, getting a ticket for this looks increasing likely.

Yeah but 71% on metacritic is still quite decent, especially for a sci-fi film. 13 positive reviews, 5 mixed reviews, 0 negative reviews they've aggregated for it.

Yes it's still a decent score, just about.

Not sure how 40 is not counted as a negative score though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not sure how 40 is not counted as a negative score though.

I read about this before IIRC. Metacritic weights reviews for different mediums differently. Video game reviews tend to be favourable (because sadly video game criticism is still quite immature and biased towards big releases) so anything below say 70 is considered mediocre... hell, even outright bad in popular opinion.

Whereas since any given film is far more likely to see a fuller range of review scores (because it’s a healthy critical space), they’re more liberal with what is counted as a ‘positive’ review. So basically where a two star review in film criticism is counted as ‘alright / mediocre’, in video games it would be considered a war crime. I’m not even exaggerating here :pac: It’s a strange quirk to be sure, but basically it just reflects the broader range of views that is likely to determine whether a film is deemed a critical success of failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭flasher0030

MfMan wrote: »
    I have seen it. I've returned from the future to tell you.

Sorry, I didn't realise I was dealing with a teen.
    You haven't seen the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,297 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

150 minutes of your life you will never get back is the headline review on the RTE website.

I m not reading any reviews myself other than if I catch a headline.

That headline does stand out that it will either be a love it or hate it film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭BagheeraBlue

memento, the prestige and tdk are masterpieces everything else he's done is meh

Advertisement