Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenet (Christopher Nolan) *spoilers from post 475*

Options

Comments

memento, the prestige and tdk are masterpieces everything else he's done is meh

opinions vary, I think that Dunkirk is his best personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

I've loved everything (yes, everything) Nolan's done up to this point and I'll go and see this on Thursday with an open mind as usual. I certainly won't be letting a few attention seeking reviews influence that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Is it on in cinema only?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

glasso wrote: »

That was a good film. Not too long either.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Treppen wrote: »
    Is it on in cinema only?
    Yes.. probably cinemas only chance to make a solid chunk of change this year.

Though I did read the distributor are looking for a larger chunk of admission tickets than normal - 65% IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Nolan is overrated as a director and a bit of a one hit wonder.

The Dark Knight was a masterpiece but he hasn't made anything approaching the brilliance of that film since.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Big Gerry wrote: »

The Dark Knight was a masterpiece but he hasn't made anything approaching the brilliance of that film since.

He's one of the most consistently excellent film-makers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Inception, you loon!

Dunkirk (and TDKR even more so) left me a bit cold but everything else he's done, i've adored!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

He's one of the most consistently excellent film-makers out there.

All his films since TDK have been a let down for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Chris Nolan's college short film (3 mins), already showing his postmodern style of storytelling; toying with the perceptions of reality and identity by the protagonist(s). The shape of things to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQaNqcKY1Sc&feature=youtu.be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Opinions do vary, I found Dunkirk to be one of his weaker movies. Just left me cold, had no reason to root for any of the characters, even the violence left off. Very well made movie technically for sure.

Can't wait to get back to the cinema, just wish we could get over to the BFI for it (responsibly).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Basq wrote: »
    Inception, you loon!

Dunkirk (and TDKR even more so) left me a bit cold but everything else he's done, i've adored!

Agree. Dunkirk left me cold as well. So does Tom Hardy for some reason, but I seem to be the only one of that opinion.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Opinions do vary, I found Dunkirk to be one of his weaker movies. Just left me cold, had no reason to root for any of the characters, even the violence left off. Very well made movie technically for sure.

Can't wait to get back to the cinema, just wish we could get over to the BFI for it (responsibly).

that's the whole point imo about Dunkirk.

it's about war, not characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The first half of the 2nd Batman movie is great. 2nd half is plopsies. Less said about the third the better.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

corcaigh07 wrote: »

Agreed

As it was essentially three different chapters of the same book, there was no character who intertwined the whole movie, so no real central character to root for.... Leaving the movie visually stunning by emotionally cold.
    Yes it was tense, and harrowing in parts....

But it was more of art gallery experience than a emotionally invested piece

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

Just looking at tickets now - have I left it too late for Cineworld IMAX this week? Can't seem to make any bookings or see availability.

Is there another IMAX screen around? Would love the full experience

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

steve_r wrote: »
    Just looking at tickets now - have I left it too late for Cineworld IMAX this week? Can't seem to make any bookings or see availability.

Go to the IFI. Their 70mm print is closer to the proper IMAX experience than Cineworld’s digital IMAX. The closest actual IMAX screen is in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

Big fan of Nolan in general. Only film I can remember not liking was Interstellar. The visuals were brilliant and some of the ideas were interesting but I felt like it was very condescending and up its own arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

Both Memento and The Prestige were released before TDK. Inception and Interstellar released after TDK.

Nolan is far from a one hit wonder and IMO has directed brilliant movies pre and post TDK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

steve_r wrote: »

It’s not imax and cineworld is a dump imo.

I’d go to omniplex Rathmines, lighthouse or IFI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Gonna see this in 70MM in Barcelona this week !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭micks_address

Gonna see this in 70MM in Barcelona this week !!

Savage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

it's about war, not characters.

A good film needs good characters, I found everyone in Dunkirk to be forgettable. Overall most of Nolans films are brilliant so looking forward to this although I don't think he will ever make a better film than Memento

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Tom Cruise in a Nolan movie would be a bit of a hype singularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Tom giving them a dig out.

Apparently Cruise hired the cinema for a private screening attended by the cast and crew of the latest Mission: Impossible that they are currently filming in London.

All the crew would be quarantined and following Covid protocols so it's not quite the same as if Cruise watched it with Joe Public in a local multiplex, which is what some outlets are spinning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Is Tom the only person in the cinema socially distancing ?
    Seems fairly packed .

Edit :Answered by previous post. Private hiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Apparently Cruise hired the cinema for a private screening attended by the cast and crew of the latest Mission: Impossible that they are currently filming in London.

All the crew would be quarantined and following Covid protocols so it's not quite the same as if Cruise watched it with Joe Public in a local multiplex, which is what some outlets are spinning.

for script rewrites :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Both Memento and The Prestige were released before TDK. Inception and Interstellar released after TDK.

Nolan is far from a one hit wonder and IMO has directed brilliant movies pre and post TDK.

Just watched Batman Begins a few days ago for the first time. It's alright. Passes 2.5 hours but not something to get awful excited about. But one thing that stood out to me - is Scarecrow the silliest type villain in Batman movies. I don't really get the point. Can spray a bit of gas at people. Great. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

150 minutes of your life you will never get back is the headline review on the RTE website.

I m not reading any reviews myself other than if I catch a headline.

That headline does stand out that it will either be a love it or hate it film.

That's fine by me, the one review I read for Interstellar absolutely panned it too and it was easily the best cinema experience I've ever had.

Advertisement