Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Ice Warning for Ireland 29 Jan to 03 Feb 2019 *See Mod Note in OP *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

Snowing heavily now in Cork City and it’s sticking.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

Starting to snow and get white in Virginia currently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Pelting down now in cork city bishopstown area. First time tonight the footpaths and roads are all white. Even the main road is white (I thought it was just salted as I saw the truck going past but..)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

This will be very handy for the next few mornings

https://youtu.be/jWJ3sh1VRlE

And remember the faster the rollercoaster goes further you fly off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Limerick not getting any action. +2c and drizzling wet rain all evening .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

Pelting down now in cork city bishopstown area. First time tonight the footpaths and roads are all wjote. Even the main road is white (I thought it was just salted as I saw the truck goijgnpsst but..)

There was nothing an hour ago and i just looked out the window now after seeing this thread. Holy crap !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Snowing steadily the last while here, a nice blanket forming and the trees are white. Very pretty to look out at.

South Sligo
    90m asl

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 12Z

The LP cluster now tracking a bit further inland Thurs probably bringing precipitation further N, more sea level snow further inland where the freezing levels are better it would seem. Large amount of liquid to fall by Fri. Windy along the S and SW. Upper temps getting quite mixed you would imagine but with pressure so low that -4C or -5C 850 hPa temps could produce wet heavy snow ? Looks like places could experience the whole range from rain to sleet to snow and possibly rain again. Mountains and hills would probably get fairly big accumulations which could last well into the weekend I would think. Some dangerous road conditions no doubt. A great weather event to study and learn from.

Nsdn7Lo.gif

aJuXpUB.gif

miyCrg7.gif

i3jKf4y.png

U6dSMu8.png

iKzx8jQ.png

6wFTsdK.png

WQvUvAN.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Clear, cold night here Laois/Kilkenny border.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,565 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That wind won't do any favors on the coast at all that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Any sign of that blob braking up for the GDA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

cork city
    kXNnEVP.jpg?2

cork city
    kXNnEVP.jpg?2

Blissful

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

That band of precipitation seems like it's taking ages to reach me here in South cavan, only lightish snow starting now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Extraordinary scenes in Cork with heavy snow on going. More than even I had forecast lol. I see the same characters rubbishing our snow chances on Thursday that laughed last night when I said cork would see snow☺

Snowbiee21 wrote: »
    Any sign of that blob braking up for the GDA?

It's weakening but something should make it.

For Dublin it's a double edged sword - it's more difficult for precipitation to reach here - on the other hand it's very cold as the winds are off shore therefore anything that does fall is more likely to settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

This low pressure for Wednesday, Thursday reminds me of 95/96 when the track of a lp slightly turned and tracked up the Irish sea giving a big snow fall for the east

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

Corofin in the Burren Co Clare is flakey...big saucer s

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Snow angel

A good bit here in northwest Sligo. Snow mixed with hail has led to about 1-2cm lying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Can anyone give time approximations? I’ve read about rush hour Dublin potential but I assume that’s evening not morning as this hit sthe south first? Wondering about when it might (emphasis on might I know!) be hitting towards the midlands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Muckka

I wonder will there be a thaw for safe driving in the morning ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Could also having some localized flooding from this as well.

The EURO 4 's take on it.

Plenty of Beefy showers moving inland tonight . Not as much snow as the ECM for Thurs .

prPVcZW.jpg

IQv2UKe.gif

rAlseUG.png

s1uQyM8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Cork Airport (153 m) was reporting a patchy depth of <1 mm at 10 pm. A mere dusting of caster sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

The velux in my bedroom is covered in window frost lines. It’s a shame we probably won’t see much snow here this time (I’m in north county Dublin) but it sure is cold anyway! For those of you lucky enough to be getting the white stuff, keep the pictures coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Cork Airport (153 m) was reporting a patchy depth of <1 mm at 10 pm. A mere dusting of caster sugar.

There were incoming flights diverting to Dublin.

Extraordinary scenes in Cork with heavy snow on going. More than even I had forecast lol. I see the same characters rubbishing our snow chances on Thursday that laughed last night when I said cork would see snow☺

Fair play for sticking to your guns , spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Not a thing here in Waterford and as for Thursday it will be rain all the way.

Band to GDA is slowly dissapating as expected @united road @kermitdefrog

Land track for enhanced showers might be just too long for Dublin tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Snowed for the hour between 10 and 11pm. ....check next update. There's 4cm here

Advertisement