Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beep scheme - anyone joining

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭minerleague

Quick question: got weaning report today ( not in genomic suckler scheme) Is dam replacement index the same as stars for genomic? Or is beef traits added for overall stars? lot of 2 and 3 stars in dam rep index on this form but I'm moving away from milky type cows here.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Why are you moving away from milky type cows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

I got mine too are u am fair confused with it tbh

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Why are you moving away from milky type cows

Find as they get older udder and teats harder for newborn to latch on, also want a calf drinking from all 4 quarters within 2- 3 weeks, ( any longer and cow sometimes gets sore on one or two quarters and mightnt let calf suck. Weaning and drying up also easier ( Almost zero mastitis last few years) May lose a bit of weaning weight but see no difference when cattle go to factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,853 ✭✭✭893bet

Good to see that scheme also being renewed for a third year. Money for Jam this one.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/mcconalogue-to-launch-new-beep-s-in-next-couple-of-weeks/

• Advertisement

893bet wrote: »
    Good to see that scheme also being renewed for a third year. Money for Jam this one.

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/mcconalogue-to-launch-new-beep-s-in-next-couple-of-weeks/

just signed up for this year, did BPS same time, sign of the times but 60 - 70 % of profit for year with a few clicks of keyboard is hard to stomach somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Anybody able to rent scales yet through the co-op? The link for scales rental doesn’t work for me through the ICBF website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Anybody able to rent scales yet through the co-op? The link for scales rental doesn’t work for me through the ICBF website.

Got mine off kerry co op pain on the hole if I can I'll try buy my own this year
    But it should be gone through automatically from coop to icbf mine took 3 days to sort out
    I wrote down every cow calf and weights just in case they were lost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭High bike

Can we weigh Autumn born calves now,and Spring calves again in Sept /Oct or do we have to weigh all together

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

High bike wrote: »
    Can we weigh Autumn born calves now,and Spring calves again in Sept /Oct or do we have to weigh all together

To weigh Autumn born calves now and Spring born calves in the Autumn is ideal.
    As long as you weigh each cow and her unweaned calf on the same day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pure breed

High bike wrote:

We've been weighing the Autumn calves and cows in early summer and the Spring calves and cows late autumn last couple years and its not a issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭amens

I see animal health laboratories are now charging €35 instead of €25 for 2021. How much for the other labs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

amens wrote: »
    I see animal health laboratories are now charging €35 instead of €25 for 2021. How much for the other labs?

Oldcastle were €35

Oldcastle labs are €35 also for now, they’re going to charge the last minute clients more as they don’t want an avalanche of dung at the last minute like last year.
    Their sample bottles are only half the size of last year also.
    Left mine in a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Ye I got that email from Oldcastle as well, I found it was more beneficial to do the samples in September as at least then I knew what the level of fluke was in the cows and what to treat them with prior to weaning.

If a calf dies suddenly a week after being weighed for the scheme, does anyone know if you'll still get paid in this scheme for that cow and calf.
    Found a dead calf unfortunately this morning in the field, in perfect health and suckling last evening at 8pm.

That’s a pity, i can’t see why you wouldn’t get paid for weighing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Alibaba

pure breed wrote: »
    If a calf dies suddenly a week after being weighed for the scheme, does anyone know if you'll still get paid in this scheme for that cow and calf.
    Found a dead calf unfortunately this morning in the field, in perfect health and suckling last evening at 8pm.

Sorry to hear that
    Yes I think you will get paid.
    Just looked at the ts & cs of the beep s 2021.
    I'm not able to share it ( I must learn how to do that ) but.. line 6.16 says..
    ''' An eligible calf shall mean a calf which is alive at the time of weighing ''

tanko wrote:
    That’s a pity, i can’t see why you wouldn’t get paid for weighing him.

Yeah it's just that I was thinking they might needed to a certain age (this calf was only month old) and need to be kept on farm a certain period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭hopeso

pure breed wrote: »

Was he vaccinated for blackleg?

• Advertisement

hopeso wrote:
    Was he vaccinated for blackleg?

No not yet we usually do them at 6 weeks so we suspect that's the cause alright due to being so sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Dropped the samples for fluke in yesterday for testing (Farmlab). Took an hour to gather 10 samples from the cows in the morning, think they knew what I was at!

Results back last night, all negative. Surprised how quickly they tested & sent out

What dosing did you do for Liver and Rumen fluke this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Just took the dung samples this morning and have them posted off. Like all things now a rise in prices.

Will probably go with levafas diamond, haven't used it in the past 4 years. On heavy ground here and the last year's beep dung samples were clear, but cattle killed in February march showed fluke, killed. A winter dose is vital as it's a perfect opportunity to break the fluke cycle. Rotation of produces is key

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Used noromectin injection back in June.

Last year I used Leavas diamond which was very hard on the stock so I wasnt inclined to use it again

Levafas is hard as in it will leave them pebble dashing concrete for a few days as they clean out. But it is a sign of it doing the job found the thrive out of them was very good. The only dose cows get here is the winter dose and the odd 1st Calver a few weeks before breeding. My year and halves got their first dose of the year last week and the next will be housing. Only reason was there was a lot of hooses after the dry spell and the wet start of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

The only downside to Levafas is it only does adult fluke

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

noromectin wont do anything for Rumen Fluke though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We used Zanil a few years ago and at that time it was the only dose that killed rumen fluke.

Advertisement