Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did Gemma O Doherty go batshyt crazy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Crikey I just discovered Alex Jones. He just did a near 5 hour podcast this week with Joe Rogan this week.

Life is short, use your time wisely...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

Did it though? Islam was once at the forefront of scientific advancement. Now it very much is not. And some people have traced the reason for that back to certain Islamic Scholar(s) declaring that mathematics for example - the manipulation of numbers - was the work of the devil.

I don't see any disagreement here. I merely stated a fact of history. It is obvious to all that Islam took an alternative (anti scientific) direction. There is a reason this period is called the Islamic Golden age.. Because it is over and in the past. I am not denying that Christianity followed a similar path.. The regressive form of Catholicism that enveloped Ireland is another example we all know well.

Again however you are making correlation-causation errors here. They were scholars who happened to be Islamic. That does not mean Islam or religion had anything to do with it.

The Islamic system (political and religious) of the time facilitated these innovations both philosophical and technological. It provided the means, funding and encouraged the motivation to do so. So it did have something to do with Islam. It had something to do with the type of Islam which was prevalent and practiced at the time. (at the time being the key term here)
    if a system encourages, facilitates, funds and promotes innovation and that innovation actually takes place then you can reasonably assert that the innovation had something to do with the system.

There were people plucking chickens for centuries who were Christians. That does not mean Christianity promotes or brings anything to chicken plucking.

This is not worth replying to.

You are making - and insisting on doing it multiple times - a leap you simply can not justify. Not only can not - you have not yet attempted to.

I am not making any leaps I would suggest that you are.

Why would I believe otherwise when it was _my point exactly_?

This is exactly my point. You are taking one thing - out of a long list - that has always been a feature of pretty much every society ever - and then acting like that one thing is somehow elevated in import.

I have not elevated anything, merely suggested that the system of Christianity brought its own benifits and advancements. I have not denied that Christianity had been a negative force at times (many times) in society.

Maybe you should not make false assumptions about what I have or have not read - in your attempt to gloss over the fact you are dodging and ignoring my posts?

I apologise for making assumptions about what you have read. I was trying to make a point about the prevalence of war famine etc across cultures.

Life is short, use your time wisely...

Pish to life is short. Name one thing I will ever do that takes longer :)

But seriously - I like online content and podcasts. I split it between content I want to concentrate on and content that is good as background noise while I am working any way.

Joe rogan's show is in the latter. Beats listening to pop music on the radio.

EDIT: But actually yes - I am giving up at 1hr 40m. Every time Rogan asks him something he dodges on another complete tangent. It is unlistenable even as background noise. The man is a crack pot ranter of the most verbose kinda. Kudos to Rogan for if nothing else managing to do it for nearly 5 hours. Whatever else one might think of Rogan - the man has stamina.

you cant claim credit for the church for all the good things that happened and then say they are not responsible for anything negative.

I was not claiming credit for the Church for all the good, I was saying that Christianity (not specifically the Catholic Church) had beneficial aspects as well as negative ones. No one can deny the destructive elements of Christianity throughout history but my point is that one should not deny its positive aspects also.

So what?

You have wilfully misrepresented what I wrote. Which was that theocratic societies (i.e. where conservative religious values rule supreme, with no moderating influence from enlightenment values) are hellish places to live. P.S. You can include Marxism, Maoism, Juche etc. as religions as they have most if not all the characteristics of religions.

I mistook you for another poster there.. Apologies.

The Islamic Golden age (the time of El Andalus for example) was regarded as a time of great learning, philosophical reasoning, and scientific advancement. It was even regarded as somewhat egalitarian. It is not believed to have been a hellish place and it was certainly extremely Theocratic.
    There are almost always exceptions to the rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,662 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Crikey I just discovered Alex Jones. He just did a near 5 hour podcast this week with Joe Rogan this week. I am 80 minutes into it. I have never heard this much crazy talked for this sustained length of time _ever_ in my life. Many of his ideas overlap what is on this thread too. He has basically touched on everything except possibly flat earth - but there is another three and a half hours to go!

Never heard his name before but a quick search shows he was noticed on boards.ie about 10 years ago.

Hes properly crazy. Needs help asap. Very funny though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Dafaq has any of this ****e got to do with Gemma?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭aloneforever99

gman2k wrote: »
    Dafaq has any of this ****e got to do with Gemma?

Back on topic, she appears to be setting up a new political party. 600 members so far.

They have some very reasonable sounding policies about transparency and accountability and then just a sprinkle of crazy dotted here and there in between (anti-vax, end "uncontrolled" immigration, promote pro-life policies - I've no issue with any individual being pro-life but that issue was conclusively decided last year)

https://anti-corruptionireland.com/

She said the website crashed because there were so many people signing up! haha

What a fcuking liar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

The Nal wrote: »
    She said the website crashed because there were so many people signing up! haha

What a fcuking liar.

Why do you think she's lying?

• Advertisement

Because today she posted that 600 people signed up. What kind of website crashes with that volume of traffic?

A few dozen people (which going by the numbers is all it would've been at that time - at best) signing up to a mailing list crashed the server(s).

Bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,353 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The Nal wrote: »
    A few dozen people (which going by the numbers is all it would've been at that time - at best) signing up to a mailing list crashed the server(s).

Bollocks.

Well it could if you were running the website on a Spectrum 48K.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well it could if you were running the website on a Spectrum 48K.
    She wouldn't use one of them. It's got a rainbow on it, so clearly a homosexual computer.
    spectrum_closeup.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Back on topic, she appears to be setting up a new political party. 600 members so far.

They have some very reasonable sounding policies about transparency and accountability and then just a sprinkle of crazy dotted here and there in between (anti-vax, end "uncontrolled" immigration, promote pro-life policies - I've no issue with any individual being pro-life but that issue was conclusively decided last year)

https://anti-corruptionireland.com/

Calling for an end to uncontrolled immigration can be deemed 'crazy' in Ireland.

Yet you will struggle to find a politician in the Conservative or Labour party in Britain who advocates for uncontrolled immigration. They wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, because they know the electorate would lynch them.

Calling for an end to uncontrolled immigration can be deemed 'crazy' in Ireland.

It makes about as much sense as calling for cannabis to be made illegal.

There's no such thing as uncontrolled immigration to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

What's racist about it? It's a play on words, satirical. Like Adolf Hipster.
    A racist joke is generally directed at some person or group.

You're making too much sense in the thread.

That's why your name is being targeted. It's an attempt at deflection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Wow. That list of "policies" is... interesting, I guess, is a word we could use? It's a combination of "We support what's already the law!", stuff that's no-brainer stated policy of pretty much every party (whether or not they implement it when in power is a different story!), and... well, just mad and/or unimplementable stuff such as:

* REPLACE AND DEPOLITICIZE TOP TIERS IN GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS, GARDAI, HSE, RTE, COURTS, TUSLA, OVERSIGHT BODIES AND OTHER STATE AGENCIES - so, sack people without cause?

* STATE CONTROL OF MONEY SUPPLY. What? Leave the euro, like? Our economy is not big enough to avoid the currency being manipulated by individuals, ffs!

* END STATE FUNDING OF NGOS AND DYSFUNCTIONAL CHARITIES. BAN OPEN SOCIETY FOUNDATIONS. So pretty much most large service-providing charities go out of business overnight. (Let's just ignore the Soros dogwhistle).

* TACKLE CAUSES OF DECLINING PUBLIC HEALTH. Well, that'd be anti-vaxxers like you, Gemma...

* END WATER FLUORIDATION. BAN HPV VACCINE. INVESTIGATE LINKS BETWEEN CHILDHOOD DISEASES AND VACCINATIONS. See above, Gemma! I'd rather my loved ones had immunity from the main causes of cervical cancer, TYVM!

* NO 5G. END CONSTRUCTION OF INDUSTRIAL WIND TURBINES. Wait, what?!

It makes about as much sense as calling for cannabis to be made illegal.

There's no such thing as uncontrolled immigration to Ireland.

Not as such, but any gobdaw can get in here as an asylum seeker with a cock and bull story and spin out the appeals process for years on end. At the end there's a good chance they'll be allowed remain on humanitarian grounds anyway, especially if they've conceived a child here...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

But actually yes - I am giving up at 1hr 40m. Every time Rogan asks him something he dodges on another complete tangent. It is unlistenable even as background noise. The man is a crack pot ranter of the most verbose kinda. Kudos to Rogan for if nothing else managing to do it for nearly 5 hours. Whatever else one might think of Rogan - the man has stamina.

Listening to that sort of thing would definitely not be good for my blood pressure.

You'll find that many mentally, ehh, "different" people have amazing stamina and dedication in devoting themselves to the object of their obsession. There's a certain ex-boardsie who runs a political party of sorts (he got 100 votes IIRC) who made something like 30,000 posts here within two years, almost all about politics. After he got banned he turned to facebook and writing 'reports' about JobPath etc. which go into the hundreds of pages. He would never write 200 words on a topic if he could write 20,000. Some of his posts here would fill two screens of solid text. Several years later he's as prolific as ever. It's all he does, he's too busy on his 'political campaigns' to look for a job. Sad really. Doesn't appear to be hitching his wagon to the Gemma train oddly enough, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Wow. That list of "policies" is... interesting, I guess, is a word we could use? It's a combination of "We support what's already the law!", stuff that's no-brainer stated policy of pretty much every party (whether or not they implement it when in power is a different story!), and... well, just mad and/or unimplementable stuff such as:

* REPLACE AND DEPOLITICIZE TOP TIERS IN GOVERNMENT DEPARTMENTS, GARDAI, HSE, RTE, COURTS, TUSLA, OVERSIGHT BODIES AND OTHER STATE AGENCIES - so, sack people without cause?

* STATE CONTROL OF MONEY SUPPLY. What? Leave the euro, like? Our economy is not big enough to avoid the currency being manipulated by individuals, ffs!

* END STATE FUNDING OF NGOS AND DYSFUNCTIONAL CHARITIES. BAN OPEN SOCIETY FOUNDATIONS. So pretty much most large service-providing charities go out of business overnight. (Let's just ignore the Soros dogwhistle).

* TACKLE CAUSES OF DECLINING PUBLIC HEALTH. Well, that'd be anti-vaxxers like you, Gemma...

* END WATER FLUORIDATION. BAN HPV VACCINE. INVESTIGATE LINKS BETWEEN CHILDHOOD DISEASES AND VACCINATIONS. See above, Gemma! I'd rather my loved ones had immunity from the main causes of cervical cancer, TYVM!

* NO 5G. END CONSTRUCTION OF INDUSTRIAL WIND TURBINES. Wait, what?!

Begs the question: Will they outpoll Renua?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Pish to life is short. Name one thing I will ever do that takes longer :)

But seriously - I like online content and podcasts. I split it between content I want to concentrate on and content that is good as background noise while I am working any way.

Joe rogan's show is in the latter. Beats listening to pop music on the radio.

EDIT: But actually yes - I am giving up at 1hr 40m. Every time Rogan asks him something he dodges on another complete tangent. It is unlistenable even as background noise. The man is a crack pot ranter of the most verbose kinda. Kudos to Rogan for if nothing else managing to do it for nearly 5 hours. Whatever else one might think of Rogan - the man has stamina.

...and a mean kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Begs the question: Will they outpoll Renua?

Renua might be veering more and more to the right since all of the original electables left, but at least their policies are ones I can just honestly disagree with, mostly, rather than going "Whoah, that's batsh1t crazy!"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,900 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

She really is crazy. Some of the comments underneath are even worse.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1101532131308814337

john4321 wrote: »
    She really is crazy. Some of the comments underneath are even worse.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1101532131308814337

What's crazy about it?

If the allegation in the link is true (not saying it is) then most rational humans would consider breaking a living baby's neck to be 'crazy'
    It's not as far fetched as you may think.
    Have you heard of Kermit Gosnell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

What's crazy about it?

If the allegation in the link is true (not saying it is) then most rational humans would consider breaking a living baby's neck to be 'crazy'

Kermit Gosnell was convicted and was breaking the law. Gemma is linking to a conspiracy website for 'preppers', people who are preparing for martial law. In other words, Waco types. Nutters.

batgoat wrote: »
    Kermit Gosnell was convicted and was breaking the law. Gemma is linking to a conspiracy website for 'preppers', people who are preparing for martial law. In other words, Waco types. Nutters.

My point is that Gemma linked to a story about a doctor (allegedly) being willing to break a baby's neck.
    There is nothing 'crazy' about objecting to this.

The source of the story does not interest me as we know that this type of thing does indeed happen IE Dr Kermit Gosnell.
    So again there is nothing whatsoever 'crazy' about objecting to the deliberate breaking of a baby's neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,900 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

What's crazy about it?

I won't be debating anything with someone using a username like yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

My point is that Gemma linked to a story about a doctor (allegedly) being willing to break a baby's neck.
    There is nothing 'crazy' about objecting to this.

The source of the story does not interest me as we know that this type of thing does indeed happen IE Dr Kermit Gosnell.
    So again there is nothing whatsoever 'crazy' about objecting to the deliberate breaking of a baby's neck.

Kermit Gosnell was breaking the law. Harold Shipman also existed. Does that make all of medicine bad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Christ she has really jumped the shark

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement