Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethnic Revisionism - Mary: Queen of the Multicultural Scots

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Mate if we’re talking about ‘brainpower’ surely you’d know the distribution of that movie is going to chinese markets?

And? Why do you keep dodging my question. Here I'll simplfy it even more and hopefully you'll get it: let's say there's a movie made about the slave rebellion in Haiti, one of the rebel leaders is portrayed by a white actor for 'diversity'.

Would that be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I haven't seen the Mary film but I have seen The Favourite, race is not a theme of the film and the diverse actors aren't playing named characters nor do they have any lines. The film is far from historically accurate in terms of clothing and actual history so I don't see why shouldnt play it loose with the casting.

Sorry, I was just contrasting Mary with the Favourite. For me, the Favourite did it correctly. They didn't use inaccurate ethnicities to play roles yet they took some liberties with the fashion and used relatively edgy camera shots for the genre.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

And? Why do you keep dodging my question. Here I'll simplfy it even more and hopefully you'll get it: let's say there's a movie made about the slave rebellion in Haiti, one of the rebel leaders is portrayed by a white actor for 'diversity'.

Would that be ok?

Cringe. Your strawman transition is rough man.

Brass tacks: guy gets offended because a movie had brown people

Cringe. Your strawman transition is rough man.

Brass tacks: guy gets offended because a movie had brown people

Why do you keep dodging the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Actually just recently watched a documentary on the American War of Independence - a mixed race woman said she didn't agree with the musical Hamilton deliberately casting black and Latino actors as historical political figures who were white, seeing as black and Latino people of the time could not have hoped to be in such positions.

Hardly a racist take - it's a take I'd share.
    Sardonicat wrote: »
    Really is it any different to having a blonde haired, blue eyed Jesus as we did in years gone by? I'm not sure there has ever been an "ethnically correct" actor cast in that role.
    Well we don't exactly know what Jesus looked like and that depiction of Christ does get questioned. I think he should be depicted as an Arabic looking dude.

• Advertisement

Why do you keep dodging the question?

‘Let me ask you a particularly tailored question to pigeonhole you into mental gymnastics to deflect the bottom line that some guy was pathetic enough to write an entire paragraph cause a brown guy was in a movie’

Cringe.

‘Let me ask you a particularly tailored question to pigeonhole you into mental gymnastics to deflect the bottom line that some guy was pathetic enough to write an entire paragraph cause a brown guy was in a movie’

Cringe.

It was a very simple, fair question. Don't know why you can't just answer it.

It's a movie, a piece of fluff/entertainment.

If you want accuracy, go watch a documentary, or better still read a book.

I obviously don't think as little of movies as you. To label the unbelievable achievements of cinema over the past hundred years as fluff is mind boggling.

Have you even seen 2 Fast, 2 Furious?!?!

It was a very simple, fair question. Don't know why you can't just answer it.

I already did. Its a pretty low IQ method of deflecting questions.

Its called ‘Leading Questions’ and its banned in court because annoying c*nts (lawyers) use it to derail arguments

http://www.trialtheater.com/articles/leadingquestions.htm

I haven't seen the Mary film but I have seen The Favourite, race is not a theme of the film and the diverse actors aren't playing named characters nor do they have any lines. The film is far from historically accurate in terms of clothing and actual history so I don't see why shouldnt play it loose with the casting.
    Well I'd agree there in fairness.

• Advertisement

Cringe.

Me fail English? That's unpossible!

Are you just jealous of people who can write in paragraphs?

Undividual wrote: »
    Me fail English? That's unpossible!

Are you just jealous of people who can write in paragraphs?

Dont need to write paragraphs for my Phd thankfully

Its called ‘Leading Questions’ and its banned in court because annoying c*nts (lawyers) use it to derail arguments

I just want to know your take on white actors playing historical people of colour, or appearing in historical settings that they would not have appeared in.

Why not just give your opinion?

Meta

I obviously don't think as little of movies as you. To label the unbelievable achievements of cinema over the past hundred years as fluff is mind boggling.

Extremely dishonest to dismiss movies as pieces of fluff. That Spielberg eh, with his nonsense auld Schindler's List?

Some movies are pieces of fluff and some are examinations of really important topics and events.

That said though, The Favourite isn't trying to be historically accurate.

I just want to know your take on white actors playing historical people of colour, or appearing in historical settings that they would not have appeared in.

Why not just give your opinion?

My opinion: I really dont care

You: keep pushing the race angle

Me: Keeps pointing out derailment

You: ‘But why wont you get derailed?’ (;

I guess i already have but atleast i pointed it out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

If it's a historical film it should be cast correctly if it's a work of fiction no probs. But if they made a film film say about the rising and some black lads declared the declaration of Independence it's just sjw culture trying to rewrite the past and that's not good for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's entertainment, Hollywood, some names, events, etc have been changed, it's not an entirely factual account and people are whinging about accuracy. If you're looking for facts, look elsewhere, it's that simple. Shakespeare's plays are great art, but they're not factual.

It's always the "I don't care" folk who get intensely involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

IMO it's bad enough that people weren't allowed to rise to positions of power purely because of the colour of their skin without now telling them they can't even pretend to be a person in a position of power for the same reason. Unless it's a true historical drama where race is an important theme or crucial to the story, or you're casting real life people, I don't see the issue. But to limit black people to playing slaves and people in poverty in historical films because they're black doesn't sit right with me.

• Advertisement

Dont need to write paragraphs for my Phd thankfully

:pac::pac::pac:

Check mate.

My opinion: I really dont care

You: keep pushing the race angle

Me: Keeps pointing out derailment

You: ‘But why wont you get derailed?’ (;

I guess i already have but atleast i pointed it out

If you really don't care then that is fine. There was no need to be so defensive or insecure about it. I do think you're out line of for berating the op for starting a very reasonable thread though.

If you really don't care then that is fine. There was no need to be so defensive or insecure about it. I do think you're out line of for berating the op for starting a very reasonable thread though.

Would be boring if everyone held the same views no?

Would be a snowflake echo chamber?

It's entertainment, Hollywood, some names, events, etc have been changed, it's not an entirely factual account and people are whinging about accuracy. If you're looking for facts, look elsewhere, it's that simple. Shakespeare's plays are great art, but they're not factual.
    No if a film about Jimi Hendrix has Bradley Cooper cast in the lead role I won't look elsewhere - I'd question it.

IMO it's bad enough that people weren't allowed to rise to positions of power purely because of the colour of their skin without now telling them they can't even pretend to be a person in a position of power for the same reason. Unless it's a true historical drama where race is an important theme or crucial to the story, or you're casting real life people, I don't see the issue. But to limit black people to playing slaves and people in poverty in historical films because they're black doesn't sit right with me.

Its not for the same reason. To take it to the logical extreme of your argument would be if an actress played a man without any character in the piece commenting on it, or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

With the News Media pretty much cannibalizing itself, entertainment will be next. Token diversity, not so subtle political messages and inaccurate story telling doesn't go unnoticed by regular folk.

Would be boring if everyone held the same views no?

Would be a snowflake echo chamber?

Agreed but no need to call the op 'pathetic'.

Hamilton is about real events and real people, some who had slaves.

To take your example, the equivalent in literary terms would be something like a novel containing a Jewish officer in the SS, where no other character makes mention of his religion/race and he acts as any other officer in the SS would.

Film is uniquely placed for political intervention in this area, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

I really dont care

FYP

Advertisement