Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethnic Revisionism - Mary: Queen of the Multicultural Scots

Options
  • 23-01-2019 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

The WAG and I went to see The Favourite last week and Mary: Queen of the Scots tonight.

Both movies are based in ye olden times. Both were ok (The Favourite was far better IMHO). One thing that stuck out like a sore thumb in M:QotS was the inclusion of black and Asian actors/actresses in prominent roles. The envoy for the British monarch was a black man and her lady in waiting was an Asian woman. Apparently a black actor can play a white historical character though the opposite is problematic.

What was interesting is that these were included without any comment on their race. Effectively, their ethnicities were ignored within the film while simultaneously ignoring the supposed real-life impact such placements would have resulted in. For example, a scene where the black envoy is kissing a white lady in waiting is not commented on for being (what I assume would have been) semi-scandalous at the time.

I don't know if this kind of thing is a response to 'Oscars so White' etc, but it pretty much broke the 4th wall for me. The movie 'A Knights Tale' did something similar but it was much more light-hearted, and thematically it was a timeless story. It seems bizarre to do the same with a historical piece.

'Mary' overall was fairly ideologically inconsistent, with her on the one hand being a devout Catholic and on the other being completely tolerant of a gay man (who wore ladies clothing and had it away with her hubby).

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

It's a retarded concept I agree.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

LOL. Someone actually typed that all out

Reverse snow-flake syndrome.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

I’m semi erect, am I doing this right?

sk8erboii wrote: »

I take it you would have no issue with white actors playing Zulu chiefs or Japanese Emperors? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Undividual

Good "point"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Theres really not much of the old "snowflake" threads in AH these days. Just people offended by everything now.

I take it you would have no issue with white actors playing Zulu chiefs or Japanese Emperors? ;)

? Loved the last samurai tbhfam

I think the best suited actor should play the role. I'm not a fan of white people playing Eqyptians etc.

Cloud Atlas is a good example (or twelve) of where Hollywood gets it badly wrong by assuming that make up can change ethnic appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Yeah fantastic mini-series adaptation of Les Miserables (no singing) on BBC at the moment with Javert, the police inspector played by a black actor, David Oyelowo. He's excellent but doesn't this colour-blind approach lack sense when there are also films revolving around skin colour? A black man would not have been a senior police officer in Paris in the first half of the 19th century.

In The Handmaid's Tale novel also, black people are expelled from Gilead once the regime comes into effect - yet this aspect is disregarded in the television series. It's not a *problem* per se, it's a fictional novel, but it's still not just a vague little detail. Gilead takes the Old Testament literally and black people are The Children of Ham according to some extremely fundamentalist interpretations. I guess maybe it wasn't feasible for such a huge television project to cast absolutely no black people whatsoever.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Theres really not much of the old "snowflake" threads in AH these days. Just people offended by everything now.

Hang on, are you offended by others being offended?

To be clear I'm not offended, just bemused. A perfectly watchable film was made worse by a politically motivated decision.

• Advertisement

? Loved the last samurai tbhfam

Any issue with white actors playing characters in a film set in ancient China?

Yeah fantastic mini-series adaptation of Les Miserables (no singing) on BBC at the moment with Javert, the police inspector played by a black actor, David Oyelowo. He's excellent but doesn't this colour-blind approach lack sense when there are also films revolving around skin colour? A black man would not have been a senior police officer in Paris in the first half of the 19th century.

In The Handmaid's Tale novel also, black people are expelled from Gilead once the regime comes into effect - yet this aspect is disregarded in the television series. It's not a *problem* per se, it's a fictional novel, but it's still not just a vague little detail. Gilead takes the Old Testament literally and black people are The Children of Ham according to some extremely fundamentalist interpretations. I guess maybe it wasn't feasible for such a huge television project to cast absolutely no black people whatsoever.

Make a movie about race: Its SJW pandering
    Make a movie NOT about race: Its SJW pandering

some people should just admit they dont like seeing brown people onscreen

Any issue with white actors playing characters in a film set in ancient China?

What like that matt damon movie?

Who cares legit lol

the real answer is that movies are products that cater to a demographic that is no longer euro-centric. Hence the inclusion of asians and blacks.

I really sincerely do not care

• Registered Users Posts: 23,197 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Undividual wrote: »
    Hang on, are you offended by others being offended?

To be clear I'm not offended, just bemused. A perfectly watchable film was made worse by a politically motivated decision.

Nope just amused.

Thank you. This is my new 'annoyance-fact', to be deployed the next time my GF watches that drivel.

Who cares legit lol

the real answer is that movies are products that cater to a demographic that is no longer euro-centric. Hence the inclusion of asians and blacks.

You're cool!

Who cares legit lol

Fair enough if you don't care but I think it's pretty stupid putting black characters in historical settings in which they would have not existed for the sake of cheap 'diversity'.

I suspect you would care if a white actor portrayed a historical black person...

Make a movie about race: Its SJW pandering
    Make a movie NOT about race: Its SJW pandering

some people should just admit they dont like seeing brown people onscreen
    And then there are others who would question white folks being cast as black historical characters in the very same manner.

Nobody said "make a movie not about race: it's sjw pandering."

And of course there's no issue with "brown" people in film or tv. E.g. Moonlight would be pretty sh1t without "brown" actors.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Nope just amused.

Your amusement offends me!!! WHAT COLOUR ARE YOU!?!?!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Typing isn't that much of an effort for grown ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,772 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's a movie, a piece of fluff/entertainment.

If you want accuracy, go watch a documentary, or better still read a book.

And then there are others who would question white folks being cast as black historical characters in the very same manner.

Nobody said "make a movie not about race: it's sjw pandering."

Nah its a thing. Some people refuse to watch true detective season 3 because the lead actor is black, despite the show not even being concered marginally about that

Bambi wrote: »

It seems like English is the problematic part nowadays.

Nah its a thing. Some people refuse to watch true detective season 3 because the lead actor is black, despite the show not even being concered marginally about that

That's silly but surely you have the brainpower to understand why putting coloured actors into historical dramas for the sake of ' diversity' is equally silly?

Bambi wrote: »

Im so grown up i write paragraphs on boards.ie because i saw a brown guy on the telly :(

Like who? But anyway, I don't see them here so why bring it up?

I'm loving series three of True Detective, and I love that actor in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Really is it any different to having a blonde haired, blue eyed Jesus as we did in years gone by? I'm not sure there has ever been an "ethnically correct" actor cast in that role.

That's silly but surely you have the brainpower to understand why putting coloured actors into historical dramas for the sake of ' diversity' is equally silly?

Mate if we’re talking about ‘brainpower’ surely you’d know the distribution of that movie is going to chinese markets?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I haven't seen the Mary film but I have seen The Favourite, race is not a theme of the film and the diverse actors aren't playing named characters nor do they have any lines. The film is far from historically accurate in terms of clothing and actual history so I don't see why shouldnt play it loose with the casting.

• Advertisement

Im so grown up i write paragraphs on boards.ie because i saw a brown guy on the telly :(

Maybe you'll understand when you're a skater man.

Advertisement