Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethnic Revisionism - Mary: Queen of the Multicultural Scots

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Undividual wrote: »
    The oppressed homosexual accepted only by progressive women, the often violent domination of men as a group over women, the additional difficulties faced by female leaders, slander of a woman's sexual reputation, a father who holds his homosexual son in contempt (or simply hates him) and societal pressure to procreate.

That pretty much describes the 16th century tbh.
    Except for the stirrings of imperialism by Western Europeans as we tried to take over the world the first time. Can't believe they left that out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

There's definitely a risk of this happening. I saw "Stan and Ollie" on Sunday night, a British film produced by BBC Films definitely touting for gongs and set in rural towns in Britain.

There were a number of ethnic minority actors in the cast, but all in minor roles such as cinema ushers, receptionists, etc. Whilst I know that "historically" of course there were black people in the UK in the 1950s, in the context of the narrative and the script I definitely felt the actors had been "shoehorned" in by the filmmakers.

If this becomes a pattern then filmmakers are not acting in accordance with the spirit of the guidelines. They should be generating more quality output as and of itself that gets the best out of such actors.

So you would have preferred if every, single, face you saw was white even though you have acknowledged that not every single person in the UK at the time was white? :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Except for the stirrings of imperialism by Western Europeans as we tried to take over the world the first time. Can't believe they left that out.
    Well hardly for the first time B, so it's a kinda background given, barely worth mentioning. Just that the known world had recently gotten much bigger. Trying to take over the known world is kinda our thing, whether that be financially, militarily or culturally. In our "blood" as it were. You have to go a very long way back where it wasn't.

European folks. Earlier.

Pinky-and-the-Brain.jpg

:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Site Banned Posts: 79 ✭✭Robert Wolfe

Can't wait to see Michael Collins depicted as a transgender African migrant.

Diversity Macht Frei.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    There's definitely a risk of this happening. I saw "Stan and Ollie" on Sunday night, a British film produced by BBC Films definitely touting for gongs and set in rural towns in Britain.

There were a number of ethnic minority actors in the cast, but all in minor roles such as cinema ushers, receptionists, etc. Whilst I know that "historically" of course there were black people in the UK in the 1950s, in the context of the narrative and the script I definitely felt the actors had been "shoehorned" in by the filmmakers.

If this becomes a pattern then filmmakers are not acting in accordance with the spirit of the guidelines. They should be generating more quality output as and of itself that gets the best out of such actors.

So you would have preferred if every, single, face you saw was white even though you have acknowledged that not every single person in the UK at the time was white? :confused:

According to the 1951 UK census, over 10% of the population was not white, which is a significant proportion to warrant the minimal representation afforded to them by Stan & Ollie.

• Advertisement
Advertisement