Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speeding Q&A superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hopefully. Might dissuade you from speeding (or not, you didn't say what speed you thought you were doing), and standing on the brakes at the sight of a speed van 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gaming_needs90

Just got a FCN in the door. Speed van caught me doing 60 in a 50 apparently.

What I am asking for here is nothing to do with the speeding. What I would like to know is if there is a dynamic speed limiter device I could get put into my car? Around town is the worst, the difference in feeling between 50 and 60 is nothing and you have to constantly be watching the dial. If I could just get something that stopped the acceleration at 50/80/100 etc. I know a lot of new cars have it or a version of it. My car has a fixed beeping sound that I could get to 50km but it gets impossibly annoying once you change speed limit and then have to cancel the beeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Killinator

They have a dynamic speed dial that is right infront of you and can be changed to the relevant speed by using just the pressure of your foot!

That's the cheapest and best solution, otherwise you need to fit a cruise control/speed limiter module, which may or may not be available depending on the car in question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Get a mount for your phone, download the Waze app and you can put in a setting for it to do an audible alarm when you are in excess of the limit. You can even set it to only alarm at +5km/h or 10km/h if you want

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Nickindublin

Have gardai cars fixed mounted speed cameras. Passed one of the BMW X5 yesterday on the motorway and thought it flashed when I went by.

No they don't, at least not in the sense you are thinking.

Traffic cars can have ANPR but thats like a dash cam and measures the patrol cars speed and not the other cars in it's view.

None of the speed detecting devices used flash visibally

Cool. I was in the grey area i would say speed wise. Its just i noticed a flash as i passed them. Maybe they had there lights on and that was what i saw in my real view mirror .They were just sitting in it no speed gun sticking out. lol

Probably having a tea or a coffee while they had the opportunity 😛

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jhonsavy

Was driving at uphill, saw the speed van parked just 100m past the speed change sign of 50 from 60. I was driving at 60 road at 67 and started slowing down the moment I saw the van and entered 50 zone at 50. What are the chances ? I already got 1 ticket a year before. Was very cautious but unfortunately looks it happened again 😔

Probably closer to 64/65 in reality so you MAY get lucky.

And not to be too much about it but you weren't being too cautious if you only slowed down as you saw the speed van and not the speed signs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jhonsavy

Thanks. True, I was not too cautious that day, I was in a rush but certainly wouldn’t have continued at the same speed at 50 zone.

My worry is what speed the van would look for. It was inside 50 zone, just less than 100m past the sign change

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Hungry Burger

Do the Garda have to pull you over if they catch you with the speed gun nowadays? Passed one today gunning on the approach to a roundabout but the squad car was parked the wrong way about 150 metres away, he’d never have a hope of catching someone if he had to chase them down and pull over.

They've never 'had to' pull you over, but it's best practice as they can them get details of actual driver as opposed to registered owner.

GENERALLY if you are not pulled by the patrol car then you are in the clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,352 ✭✭✭ofcork

I assume guard Hyundai I40 parked up on left of road at 10 at night isn't using a speed gun no one outside car and car in front of me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭DRedSky

Yesterday I was doing around 62 in a 50 zone and spotted a speed camera parked at side of road in a small village, roughly 100-120 metres away so I immediately panicked and hit the brakes and turned into a housing estate so that I wouldn’t drive past him.

I was traveling TOWARDS the rear of the van where the camera would be at the time. Didn’t get any closer than 100-120 metres of it.

I popped across the road and bought a newspaper and drove home again without going any closer to the van (i had only popped into the village for a paper anyway)

Is it likely that he nabbed me?

Is this serious?

If so you've more to be worried about than speeding if you're reaction is to slam on the breaks and take an immediate turn, maybe stay off the road for other people's safety!

• Advertisement

Sorry i should have mentioned there was nobody behind me and I probably made it all sound more dramatic than it was in fairness but i basically braked and then turned into the estate rather than keep going just in case.

Sounds daft I know but my thinking was it might somehow be better than continuing past the van.

Anyway, my dramatic story telling aside, do you think the distance mentioned above would be sufficient or not to avoid the dreaded letter in the post?

You can easily be picked up at that range so there's a 50/50 chance depending on how quickly you slowed down on spotting it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Lucky there was no one walking across the road you suddenly turned into…if this even happened. Sounds like the tripe of our regular dreamer/wind up merchant.

Cui bono?

Thanks. Guess it’s a long couple weeks wait ahead so. Thanks for the reply, and the info.

Honestly there was actually nothing overly dangerous about it, I just phrased it very poorly and dramatically in my original post.

I hit the brakes yes but I knew there was nobody behind me, and obviously i had slowed down and checked before turning in. It was more a stupid/poorly worded post than a hollywood bit of driving tbh.

It changes from 80 to 50 just there and I was just slower than i should have been to make that change, it was 62 on speedometer when i saw the van, so probably 59 in reality which I realise is 9km faster than i should have been going at that stage.

I’m driving over 20 years and never had points before (until now possibly) so I’m not a reckless driver and I just described the incident more dramatically than it was, which I acknowledged already.

I was just curious to know if i had been in range both for speed detection and also the reg plate photo seeing as i turned off well in advance. Killinator kindly answered and from the sounds of it I may get the letter, sure nobody to blame but myself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,040 ✭✭✭mikeecho

100m you're grand,

Don't worry

Thanks! That’s a big relief to hear, cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

With the speed vans, can they catch you from their front?

I had heard that the camera is only facing out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

If it's a go safe van AFAIK the camera is only at the back, but it can capture both approaching and receding vehicles.

I passed one in the process of being set up yesterday, with traffic cones behind it and the operator carrying a 'metre' stick. If that was any indication of the operational zone it is quite close to the go safe van.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Warbeastrior

I'm in the North West and only ever see Go Safe vans. What other types are there?

Also, do you mean that you have to be quite close to those vans for them to get you?

Advertisement