Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Q&A superthread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wexcap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

I'm on the side that often has to issue tickets 😬

well fair play to ya its a hard enough job to do i respect that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭Damien360

My son was stopped late last night (2/3am) at a checkpoint for drugs and alcohol test at the edge of Newbridge. Passed it seems or I presume he would have been arrested. No issue with his car either. I haven’t seen a roadside drugs test. How long does it take for a result ? Is this normal based on age profile and car profile (teenager in a old Passat) ?

There is a new road side drug test that replaces the big bulky Drager systems the traffic cars carried around. It's now a saliva swab and will show up lines (like a covid test) of certain substances are present.

If your roadside test produces a line (however faint) then you are arrested and brought to station for blood test for a proper specimen.

The roadside test takes 8 minutes.

The reason for doing a test may be many, location, MIT checkpoint, manner of driving, behaviour of driver, etc...

Unfortunately due to the behaviour of many lads in that age bracket and driving similar profile cars it could have been just that (there's a gang in South Kildare who's sole fun is to take chases in mapped VAG diesels/similar and it appears to be a growing trend)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭Damien360

@Killinator thanks for the information

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

The draegar 5000 can take up to 10 minutes, the newer Securetec Drugwipe 6s takes about half that time.

Both are roadside preliminary tests and if positive would lead to arrest and a blood sample being taken at the station for lab analysis.

You wouldn't be allowed drive on if you tested positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭ofcork

Its there nearly every day at the moment since the new layout was opened.

I have a question let's say your coming out of 60km zone and coming into a 100km zone and van is up ahead in the distance are they set up for 100km zone or watching the 60km zone

There's no way for sure of knowing if they are configured for the 60km or 100km sections.

Generally they set up to catch speeders in lower speed zones within those zones but it depends on how far away you are talking about

• Advertisement

I know probably been asked before I assume they work at night just passed a gosafe on Georges quay in cork not sure if parked or working.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yep they do work at night, however you have to be practically beside it for it to catch you if over the limit.

If you slowed down before this you should be fine.

Have never seen a van there before no signs of anything in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭mikeecho

They have spent 22hrs straight on the south mall. 30km

Also on gratten st.. just before the lights for shears st.

South link before junction with boreenmanna Rd.

North link

Actually anywhere in ballincollig is classed as city.

I stopped caring at one point. If you get caught, you're blind or stupid.

But blind people aren't stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SunnyDay43

Was pulled over by a Guard this morning on the motorway. I was speeding quite excessively & deservedly deserve a fine. Very bad on my behalf. Its never something I do & I've never been pulled before nor been through a checkpoint. Driving for four years. To be honest I was shaken by it & I got a well deserved wake up call today.

They weren't stationary but were following behind me. Pulled over for a total of 2 minutes, we spoke for 30 seconds about the speed I was doing & they just looked at my licence handed it back & left. Nothing was said about a fine/summons.

Do you reckon they give me a penalty?

It's unlikely you'll get a speeding fine as the Gardai will have no way to prove speed (dash readout is not calibrated). However they could go the route of a fine for inconsiderate driving of they choose or even send you a summons for careless driving.

It'll be up to their discretion really.

You say it's something you never do but it's hard to believe that the very first time you drove over the limit excessively you happened to be followed by a Garda car.

Just hope you don't get the envelope with the harp on it in the letter box over the next few months 😬

Can the go safe monitor 2 different zones at the one time,one sits at the tunnel in cork most days now in a 60 but just where a 30 road merges?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 -F1-

Im interested in the Go Safe Vans.

What is the range of the of Go Safe Vans for it to pick up your speed.

Some people say its only a few meters , Others say if you can see them, they can measure you. ?

Seems to be just as inconsistent as this thread.

Some say less the 5m others 20m to 30m. And thats 5 years ago.

If there any factual information from a go safe van?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

It doesn't matter how far they can detect the speed. The target has to be set within the range of the camera reading the number plate.

Ah ok so it only takes into account the speed you were travelling at the time that it can read the plate.

Do you know how far out the cameras can read your plates when approaching the back of a GoSafe van?

Post edited by -F1- on

does any one know the range of the go safe vans its hard to get a straight answer on here

It's weird, When I ask that question in my head or out loud or spell it out, it seems like a basic question that has a straight forward answer.

You would think someone knows someone who works for gosafe or the gardai could answer it.

Example out of thin air:

A go safe rader will only log the speed of a vehicle once the camera can read the numberplate.

The average distance the camera within the gosafe can read a number plate is 10m or less.

Therefore if you are within a distance 10m or less and speeding you will be caught.

If you are within the speed limit at that distance, you are fine.

To be fair, that's exactly the information that is in the thread that was linked a few posts above, or is probably in this thread as well if you go back.

It's indeed pretty simple... the camera only detects from the rear of the van, can read multiple lanes simultaneously (both approaching and travelling away from the van), but the range is extremely limited and you need to be practically beside it to be detected.

This should not be confused with Garda patrol units with speedguns however. Those can and do detect at much greater range and will generally pull someone in if they want a word.

It's not an exact science but if you can see the van you are in range, wether or not it is set to capture cars at the furthest range out is another matter.

Our handheld devices have a massive range but it's very hard to hold a laser on a vehicle even if you are able to see it a kilometre away anyway so any captures tend to be withing a few hundred metres at most so we can get a good target of the vehicle.

It is a very simple question indeed but there are reasons that information like that isn't out out, if you knew for example you* could only get pinged at a distance of a 100ft away then you* would most likely speed away and then slam on at 100ft before bombing on again. If you* see a speed van 1km up the Rd (motorway for example) then if you* are not aware of the limit it can ping you* at then you* will drive at the limit or under for that 1km.

*refers to general term and not personally anyone asking

• Registered Users Posts: 3 l_mc

Hi,

If you are approaching a stationary, pulled in garda car from behind, ie approaching the rear of the car, is it capable of detecting your speed?

I saw a little black box shaped thing on the roof and was curious about what it was.

Thanks!

It was most likely an ANPR camera on the rear roof of a Roads Policing patrol car.

They are not used for detecting speeders, more for automatic licence/insurance/tax offences.

Also used in conjunction with front facing camera.

It can be set to record so that in the likes of a pursuit it can record the entire thing or for public order, let's say outside a club, the vehicle can be pointed at the venue and the camera aimed to record possible public order offences.

All patrol vehicles should have them but that would involve resourcing the force properly 🤷

If you were down to 100 or thereabouts as you passed the rear of the van, you should be OK

• Advertisement

You overtook a lorry where you couldn't see a speed van facing towards you on the opposite side of the road ??? Just as well it wasn't an oncoming vehicle!

Advertisement