Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The most racist thing you’ve done,

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

My 5:year old daughter started school & there was 2 Nigerian girls in her class. Every morning they were there together. They are lovely girls & very friendly. I don't think I'm rasict, but I asked my daughter were they twins & she said no, then I said are you sure they are not sisters. She said NO, absolutely disgusted by this. I'll never make presumptions sgain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Gave out birthday party invites to everyone in my son's class except the black kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Gave out birthday party invites to everyone in my son's class except the black kids.
    559.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Probably racist. When I'm waiting on flights in airports I'm always extra worried when I see someone from the middle east or whatever, irrational and silly but I'm usually relieved when theyre not on my flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Most racist thing I've ever done: Being a straight white male.

Thoughts and prayers. The most marginalised in our society

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Not really racist, but when I was a wee chap of three, my mother and I were walking home from... I'm assuming playschool with a black kid I'd befreinded in the class along with his mother. Kennedy, iirc.

Walking along, the two ladies chatting away and suddenly something dawns on me.
    Now, I wasn't much of a talker, at all really, but I'd pipe up every now and then..
    Anyway, without a hint of the "adult" filter, I turned and asked me mate; "Is your daddy brown as well your mammy"?
    And he answered without a hint of "adult" surprise or offence, like I'd only asked him if it was two o clock yet.

My poor ****ing Ma, tho. The ground couldn't have opened up quickly enough for her :o

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Whenever I cook a fry up I always keep the black and white puddings separated on the plate..they are not permitted to mix!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

My wife was at a convenience store in Honolulu.

She was fishing through her purse at the counter without looking up at the cashier.

She remarked that 'Hawaii was full of Asians!! How come there is so many?'

Then she looked up at the cashier. Yep. Asian.

Whites only make up around 15% of Hawaii. Asians about 60%

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I know several people who won't get into taxis with black or asian drivers.

I’m one of those people if I can avoid it. Nothing to do with race though. Reason being that there’s a fair probability that they’re new to the city and won’t know the way and after a few pints I want to get in and give the driver a destination without giving directions of “straight on” at every junction or roundabout.

Now if it’s raining or there are few taxis about I’ll take anything. And I’m aware that it’s possible some foreign drivers have been living in Dublin longer than some native drivers but I also apply the same logic to cars with non Dublin reg plates :)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

Last year I was transiting through Dubai Airport on the way back home, and went to the duty free shop to purchase a couple of mobile phones. Sales girl asks what I'm after whom then refers me on to a different sales assistant, both of them I guess by looking at them were local Arabs. He comes over, and noticing that my overweight pale Irish complexion is melting away even in the air conditioned building, mentions that I'm sweating a fair bit and I reply out of habit "Yeah, I'm sweating like a pi..." I immediately realise what I've just said and can't stop apologising hard enough to the two of them. Thankfully they both just laughed it off and the male assistant in the duty free got everything sorted for me. Both of them couldn't have been nicer, and more than likely have had eejits like myself come out with faux pas before.

I don't reckon muslims have any problems with pigs other than the fact they don't eat them though. It's not as if you had said "I'm sweating like your mom" or like Allah for that matter xD

• Advertisement

I haven't had this problem with my dog, but I know people who aren't rasict, but there dogs are. For some reason if there is a black person approaching they go barking mad at them and nobody else. Does anyone know why this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

jopax wrote: »
    I haven't had this problem with my dog, but I know people who aren't rasict, but there dogs are. For some reason if there is a black person approaching they go barking mad at them and nobody else. Does anyone know why this is?
    dogs sense their unease. folk from countries where dogs are pest carriers or culturally "unclean" will be uneasy around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've been called racist a few times by Nigerians but they were confused with the fact that I wouldn't put up with their rudeness and brashness and they just played the race card. Retail business.

Is not liking travellers racist? I've a gold medal in that so.

Otherwise I treat everyone the same until you wrong me.

dogs sense their unease. folk from countries where dogs are pest carriers or culturally "unclean" will be uneasy around them.

That's very interesting, I suppose they pick up on vibes better than us.thst makes sense, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I was only a young lad maybe still a teenager when I was watching a football game vs Spain at some sort of house party. I'm not Irish btw, just in case you were wondering which game that was.
    It's easily 25 years ago before Spain got any good. People might remember that Spain always had good players, but was actually useless as a team for decades until what? 10 or 15 years ago?

Anyway, some of my friends were concerned about the match and we discussed our team's chances. There was quite a bit of alcohol in play. One of my friends said we could lose this to which I blurted out rather loudly "Ah feck, don't worry, the <derogatory name for Spanish people> are feckin useless, always have been, always will be."

Which was greeted with awkward silence and people looking kinda past me. So I turned around and there were 5 or 6 people standing right behind us, men and women all very Spanish looking (they were), all staring at me, clearly very unimpressed.

To say I was embarrassed is an understatement, I wanted the carpet to gobble me up. Not my proudest moment. They didn't confront me, but we didn't become friends either.

I think its the only time in my life I did something 'racist'. I was so embarrassed by it I still remember it to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Sorry but what's the derogatory term you used for Spanish people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭QuintusFabius

I was at home over the Christmas and having a few pints with my Dad and uncle, we were in a dublin suburb pub and honestly had never seen a black guy there before - but we did that night.
    And I just mentioned how it's the first time I've ever seen a black lad in the pub, and I said back 20 years ago when we first used to drink there you wouldn't see them - and my uncle said , "yeah he'd be out picking cotton"
    Laughed my ass off ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Sorry but what's the derogatory term you used for Spanish people?

Spicks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Spicks?

Something along those lines, quite close actually. Something that only makes sense/context in my home country. Not the worst ever but clearly derogatory or at least disrespectful and I'd rather not repeat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Spicks?

The most racist thing, and/or meta, thing I've done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement