Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hurling League 2019 Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,781 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great win for Waterford and nice too get too a final in Croke Park. I knw a lot of people unhappy with the venue as Thurles would be handier but what can ya do

Limerick looked strong and seemed too get better as the game went on. Dublin had a very good campaign and have the makings of a serious team. Mixed league for Galway but they didn't have the St Thomas players

Sum feck up before the first semi final today as the teams lined up for the anthem too be told over the PA it would actually happen before the 2nd semi lol

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭raindodger

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Great win for Waterford and nice too get too a final in Croke Park. I knw a lot of people unhappy with the venue as Thurles would be handier but what can ya do

Limerick looked strong and seemed too get better as the game went on. Dublin had a very good campaign and have the makings of a serious team. Mixed league for Galway but they didn't have the St Thomas players

Sum feck up before the first semi final today as the teams lined up for the anthem too be told over the PA it would actually happen before the 2nd semi lol

think that was for a minutes silence for county chairmans daughter

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

DuhJerk wrote: »
    Dunno can you shoulder a lad when he's striking the ball? I would say not

You can shoulder a guy when hes striking the ball. Of course you can. It just shows how soft the game is going when people are surprised that Canning didn't get a free . There should be way more shoulders flying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

BloodyBill wrote: »
    You can shoulder a guy when hes striking the ball. Of course you can. It just shows how soft the game is going when people are surprised that Canning didn't get a free . There should be way more shoulders flying in.

He was fouled at least twice immediately prior to that, the second a trip that unbalanced him for the shoulder. Nothing illegal with the shoulder but unsurprisingly the ref missed the earlier indiscretions.

MfMan wrote: »
    He was fouled at least twice immediately prior to that, the second a trip that unbalanced him for the shoulder. Nothing illegal with the shoulder but unsurprisingly the ref missed the earlier indiscretions.

Yeah I think he was fouled before the shoulder tackle. However there was alot let go . Some shocking ref decisions in the LimerickvDublin game aswell. It's like if you go down and appear injured you definitely will get a free...Cannings situation aside proving the rule. Anyway let's bask in the beauty of Morans shoulder.. and hope we see more of it this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

4Ad wrote: »
    He does something filthy in every game.

Gleeson got a sneaky slap in the balls off Canning in the game in Walsh park, none of ye commenting on that. It's only filth if Gleeson does it.
    Golden boy Joe gets another yellow card today but lets all ignore that as well

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patsyrockem

carq wrote: »
    Shoulder of the year!

I would hope that you are not making out that Kevin Moran is the hero of the hour, Joe was trying his up most to drag Galway to the league final and was brave enough to run on and leave himself open to being clocked. As a neutral I hope Joe will be fit enough to get himself right for the championship, please don't make Kevin Moran into some sort of super hero after the incident. Paudie Maher caught him something similar, if the roles were reversed?!!! The best players are always the bravest and the ones that put the body on the line. Joe and Cian Lynch were a joy to watch today, we are privileged to see them in full flow but the joy some people get in seeing them floored is sad. Aussie should be mentioned in the same breadth as those two but unfortunately doesn't carry himself that way.
    Will be a very interesting and intriquing final tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

lads stick to the charter please , it was an ugly game at times but tone down the personal bickering

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

I would hope that you are not making out that Kevin Moran is the hero of the hour, Joe was trying his up most to drag Galway to the league final and was brave enough to run on and leave himself open to being clocked. As a neutral I hope Joe will be fit enough to get himself right for the championship, please don't make Kevin Moran into some sort of super hero after the incident. Paudie Maher caught him something similar, if the roles were reversed?!!! The best players are always the bravest and the ones that put the body on the line. Joe and Cian Lynch were a joy to watch today, we are privileged to see them in full flow but the joy some people get in seeing them floored is sad. Aussie should be mentioned in the same breadth as those two but unfortunately doesn't carry himself that way.

From my perspective ( waterford supporter) it was a fantastic shoulder. Unfortunate that canning got injured but it was perfectly legal and stopped a certain goal at a crucial time of the game. He was the hero of the hour

Nothing better than seeing a guy in full flight get 'clocked' legitimately. It's what separates the game from Hockey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Brilliant piece of defending from Moran with that shoulder. It's very hard to legally stop someone in a goal scoring position like that. Let's hope that Joe is okay because he has been in brilliant form this year so would be awful to see him miss the championship. The way the province is set up now if you get an injury just for a couple of weeks at the wrong time you can miss the whole thing as we learned to our detriment last year. Technically Joe was fouled before the shoulder but if you blew up for that sort of stuff there would be a free every 20 seconds.

You'd wonder with Joe what sort of toll all the games have taken on his body. He reminds me of Johnnie Sexton, every time you look at him hes down nursing some injury or hobbling around. I don't mean in anyway that he is simulating, just that he seems to get hurt or injured a lot easier than most players / himself a few seasons ago.

With regards Gleeson, people on twitter and on here giving him personal abuse would want to cop on. There was no intent whatsoever in that incident yesterday. Trying to create incidents where they don't exist in such a physical game is fairly pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

carter10 wrote:
    Gleeson got a sneaky slap in the balls off Canning in the game in Walsh park, none of ye commenting on that. It's only filth if Gleeson does it. Golden boy Joe gets another yellow card today but lets all ignore that as well

Have you a clip of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭carq

Have you a clip of this?

I think he is confusing the belt in the balls bennett got last week from the Clare player.
    Point stands though, people moaning today were nowhere to be seen last week for a far worse crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

carq wrote:
    I think he is confusing the belt in the balls bennett got last week from the Clare player. Point stands though, people moaning today were nowhere to be seen last week for a far worse crime.

I said previously on the Waterford forum I don't think it was Gleeson that injured the lad. And the force he seemed to go down with was innocuous enough. But. Why? What was he at? There was no melee of players around him to say he was "pushed" onto the player. Gleeson saw a player lying on the ground and decided the best thing he could do was put his two knees down onto him. Doesn't make any sense. Whatever about the level of intent you'd have to wonder why he puts himself in these positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭big_drive

I think Kyle Hayes is struggling a little to find the form of last year.
    Wouldn't say Cian Lynch was that unreal either yesterday , he does fancy stuff that people rave about but he lost a lot of handy ball too yesterday by over elaborating.

Galway have a problrm with settling on a goalie, is Colm Callanan fit or what at moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

M7 road closures this weekend folks. A bridge is being blowed up somewhere near Naas apparently. Detours will be in place. Give yourselves extra time to make the trip, if you get up here that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,928 ✭✭✭threeball

Limerick doing alot of messing with the sliothar in confined areas. That's gonna bite them in the ass when it's championship pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It was looking ominous for Waterford early on and Waterford are still five points down but it could be worse.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It was looking ominous for Waterford early on and Waterford are still five points down but it could be worse.

Waterford are playing well and it ll be a good second half. Limerick are that bit better and theres more goals for them

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭conor05

Waterford are playing well and it ll be a good second half. Limerick are that bit better and theres more goals for them

There is usually goals in Shane Bennett too if he can get half a chance.

But Limerick always have a man available for a handpass outside of a tackle. It’s a huge part of their game.

• Advertisement

Gleeson pretty much anonymous again on the big day.

threeball wrote: »
    Gleeson pretty much anonymous again on the big day.

Not a great second half and the atmosphere was terrible. James Owen was so pedantic it was sad. Why can such an asinine type of ref get these big games. You have to feel a game not choke it at birth by blowing the whistle the whole time. Limerick won at their ease really.
    Dan Morrissey is some player on the ball. His decision making is unrivalled. Kevin Moran was excellent for Waterford but Limerick threatened to over power them throughout. Hegartys skill for a big man is just a joy to watch..Flick ups and disguised hand passes and a one handed point. Very good and they've plenty to work on with the wides. Peter Casey's striking is very hit and miss. Waterford are a work in progress and will improve but they need to.

Not a great second half and the atmosphere was terrible. James Owen was so pedantic it was sad. Why can such an asinine type of ref get these big games. You have to feel a game not choke it at birth by blowing the whistle the whole time. Limerick won at their ease really.
    Dan Morrissey is some player on the ball. His decision making is unrivalled. Kevin Moran was excellent for Waterford but Limerick threatened to over power them throughout. Hegartys skill for a big man is just a joy to watch..Flick ups and disguised hand passes and a one handed point. Very good and they've plenty to work on with the wides. Peter Casey's striking is very hit and miss. Waterford are a work in progress and will improve but they need to.

Waterford never showed up as a team. A few good individual performances but far too many passengers including Gleeson who is having a decent game in maybe one out of 3 or 4 games I see him in.
    Limerick are slick enough but it's not good to watch. They won't care but it's a slippery slope for hurling to go down and we have an awful habit of apeing successful teams in the gaa rather than out thinking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Limerick doing alot of messing with the sliothar in confined areas. That's gonna bite them in the ass when it's championship pace.

I wouldn't put money on that!

Their close ball control and finding the right pass is excellent. Any team that has plans to stop them will have to be much better than they have shown this year or last.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭letsseehere14

Bonniedog wrote:
    Their close ball control and finding the right pass is excellent. Any team that has plans to stop them will have to be much better than they have shown this year or last.

True we have been excellent this league following on from last year. But it appears as though we have been working at a higher intensity than any other team we've played yet this year. Come championship time the other teams will be at that pace too. Then we'll see how well we cope with the up in intensity of our opposition and how this style plays out under greater pressure. We have been closer to full tilt than any other team so far this year.

Great to win a league after such a gap but a trip to Walsh Park will he very tough. A trip to thurles for a 3rd match in 14 days also very difficult. Cork and Clare traditionally don't fear us too. I wouldnt be able to pick the 3 that will get out of Munster. It could be any of the 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

Limerick are slick enough but it's not good to watch. They won't care but it's a slippery slope for hurling to go down and we have an awful habit of apeing successful teams in the gaa rather than out thinking them.

What's not good to watch about it? And can expand on the slippery slope the game is now on because of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I like watching Limerick and even appreciated what they were doing when they beat us last week.

I don't see how anyone can think they are engaged in some innovative negativity! Brennan was on about this last week I think - would rather have sticks poked in ears than listen to him to be honest - but I imagine his target was more Dublin than Limerick.

You would imagine that his own team had been some Corinthian ideal of open gentlemanly play! And no-one detracts from their achievements, Most of them are a lot more pleasant and fair than Garda Brennan :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mucky_Tackies

I'm biased as I'd support limk. I'd be interested in hearing what's so negative tho as I'm not seeing it. if the issue is leaving the top 3rd of the pitch with only two forwards up there, I wouldn't agree it's negative. Giving forwards more space is a positive in my book and Gillane showed exactly why today. At the match you could see his leads and runs off the ball and the way he was found from full or half back line was class to watch.

Beyond that, which would be a difference of opinion, can't see what else is up for debate in terms of us being negative as they even try to play positive in spots they probably shouldnt when flaking it is the easier out option.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

I don't subscribe to this assessment myself but what I've heard people say is that limericks overuse of handpassing the ball through traffic, if adopted by everyone, will ruin the game as a spectacle.

I don't think many teams will be able to do it as well as Limerick. Hidden in the Brennan assessment is a dismissal of Limerick. I think this is utter bs as the fluidity of movement of the Limerick support players is incredible to watch. I've seen them play a few times and it's extremely impressive what they are doing in support runs that often doesn't get used as there are a couple of others moving too. Lynch and O'Donovan have an almost telepathic understanding.

Secondly, everyone else is already doing it anyway but usually messing it up. Even Waterford today looked extremely uncomfortable when feeding the ball out. Shortpassing is part of the game and has been for years, what we see with Limerick is what happens when a team of their immense talents apply it. Possession is everything now and belt balls up and down the pitch is a thing of the past.

I still think this Limerick team is only getting started and if (big if) they can keep their heads screwed on and bring in new blood to keep the rest of the lads honest then I won't be shocked if there's another few all Irelands going to limerick over the next few years.

• Advertisement

I'm biased as I'd support limk. I'd be interested in hearing what's so negative tho as I'm not seeing it. if the issue is leaving the top 3rd of the pitch with only two forwards up there, I wouldn't agree it's negative. Giving forwards more space is a positive in my book and Gillane showed exactly why today. At the match you could see his leads and runs off the ball and the way he was found from full or half back line was class to watch.

Beyond that, which would be a difference of opinion, can't see what else is up for debate in terms of us being negative as they even try to play positive in spots they probably shouldnt when flaking it is the easier out option.

Never accused them of being negative but the constant handpassing between their 21 and 45 isn't particularly appealing. Its starting to resemble football and I don't think that's a good model to follow. More coaches will follow a successful teams strategy just like happened in the football and its ruined the game for years. Anyway, i think they'll be beaten a couple of times before the year is out and that will prevent that happening.

Advertisement