Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

National Hurling League 2019 Discussion

1468910

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Straight promotion and relegation. Carlow came back from something like 8/9 points to beat Offaly so latter are relegated. Wind must have been huge factor in all the midlands games judging by the turnaround.

    We were 12 points down at 1 stage. 11 down at ht 1-11 to 0-3, had a man sent off too after 10 minutes!
    Amazing comeback, to play almost entire game with 14 men away from home and come back from 12 points down is seriously impressive. Of course the wind helped, it was very strong but the fight and spirit the Carlow lads showed was amazing.
    Was huge for us to stay in 1B, as Colm Bonnar said after it would have been impossible to motivate the team for 2A next year and he wouldn't have stayed on.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt


    I'd say limerick will bring a big crowd to the semi in 2 weeks time. If they make it to the final will they get home advantage like kilkenny did last year?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse


    RoyalCelt wrote: »
    I'd say limerick will bring a big crowd to the semi in 2 weeks time. If they make it to the final will they get home advantage like kilkenny did last year?

    What would be the basis for Limerick getting home advantage? Kilkenny got home advantage last year as part of a home/away arrangement they had with their opponents.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog


    Shane Bennett/Jamie Barron ‘side line’ technique......highlights program last night gave particular attention to this......Bennett gave the ball the slightest of touches and ran off with head down Barron came in and picked it up and had a free shot at target which he duly put over the bar....Will this become a regular thing now or will it remain a ‘one off’.....as all coaches/managers will from now on have their players too well aware of it....?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog


    Road-Hog wrote: »
    Shane Bennett/Jamie Barron ‘side line’ technique......highlights program last night gave particular attention to this......Bennett gave the ball the slightest of touches and ran off with head down Barron came in and picked it up and had a free shot at target which he duly put over the bar....Will this become a regular thing now or will it remain a ‘one off’.....as all coaches/managers will from now on have their players too well aware of it....?


    Was that when Waterford were playing against the wind? Firing a sideline Into a gale makes zero sense!

    Saw some reference by Galway people to Waterford's cuteness in line with the elements whereas Galway persisted with long ball.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Was that when Waterford were playing against the wind? Firing a sideline Into a gale makes zero sense!

    Saw some reference by Galway people to Waterford's cuteness in line with the elements whereas Galway persisted with long ball.

    No second half playing with wind


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog


    Must get a look at that.

    Clever tactic but limited life span you would imagine once others are aware of it.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80


    Road-Hog wrote: »
    Shane Bennett/Jamie Barron ‘side line’ technique......highlights program last night gave particular attention to this......Bennett gave the ball the slightest of touches and ran off with head down Barron came in and picked it up and had a free shot at target which he duly put over the bar....Will this become a regular thing now or will it remain a ‘one off’.....as all coaches/managers will from now on have their players too well aware of it....?

    it was illegal as Barron wasn't 13m away when the ball was touched.
    I can see a rule change if it becomes a regular thing


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog


    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    it was illegal as Barron wasn't 13m away when the ball was touched.
    I can see a rule change if it becomes a regular thing

    I take it you had your ‘ruler’ with you at the ground so as to be so sure the 13m wasn’t breached....?


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    Must get a look at that.

    Clever tactic but limited life span you would imagine once others are aware of it.

    On the basis of that incident yesterday, if that was to happen again, cathal mannion would have been free to pick up the ball uncontested. He didn't realise what Waterford were doing (tbf, it's not something you'd automatically think of) but would be wise to it in the future.

    Clever thinking by Waterford, but I'd be very surprised if it becomes a 'thing' as opponents have now been put on guard for it.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11


    Duignan had a right go at Donal Og on Twitter last night, could have put his job in jeopardy.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Mind boggling that the GAA have decided to put every single hurling game against the Rugby.

    You'd want to be crazy to attend the football games given even less is at stake.

    They could have put all the games on at 12pm and let everyone have a realistic chance of seeing the rugby, since Ireland are in theory, in with a shot of winning it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭shockframe


    Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Duignan had a right go at Donal Og on Twitter last night, could have put his job in jeopardy.


    Offaly should be glad that Cusack went against the grain.

    Was a bit harsh that there wasn't anyone from Offaly to debate it but attacking Donal Og is playing the man and not the ball.

    Anytime Offaly has been mentioned the last 10 years the pundits revert straight to cliches of 'oh isnt it sad that Offaly has faded', 'great traditional county', 'great hurling men up there'.

    Sometimes a counter argument is necessary and in this case hammering home a few home truths might be better for them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan




  • Registered Users Posts: 34,018 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour


    I find the offaly fellas to be great Pundits.

    They been critical of Cork too and much I have agreed with, but I find if you say anything negative about Offaly they round up and get personal.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80


    all the ex offaly players are great to preach


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80


    Road-Hog wrote: »
    I take it you had your ‘ruler’ with you at the ground so as to be so sure the 13m wasn’t breached....?

    either enforce the rules, or get rid of the rule book


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83


    That Offaly stuff always wrecked my head. If you want to stay in Leinster, won more games and don't finish bottom. If you want to stay in division 1, win more games and don't finish in the relegation places. And certainly don't throw away a big lead in a relegation playoff.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK


    shockframe wrote: »
    Offaly should be glad that Cusack went against the grain.

    Was a bit harsh that there wasn't anyone from Offaly to debate it but attacking Donal Og is playing the man and not the ball.

    Anytime Offaly has been mentioned the last 10 years the pundits revert straight to cliches of 'oh isnt it sad that Offaly has faded', 'great traditional county', 'great hurling men up there'.

    Sometimes a counter argument is necessary and in this case hammering home a few home truths might be better for them.

    Thought Cusack was being harsh initially, but the more I thought about it, the more he made sense. The graph/analysis that he done on league Sunday last night highlighted what we've known for years. Offaly ate simply not producing underage talent of a required standard to be competitive.

    Until their county board starts putting the work into underage teams in Offaly (large or small pick is irrelevant imo) then they will continue to slide. Carlow have put in work underage - granted they're not going to win Liam McCarthy anytime soon, but they are getting tangeable results. Same with westmeath.

    It's an inditement of successive county boards in offaly that they've let it get to this stage. Quiet frankly, it will probably get worse before it gets better.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog


    Mind boggling that the GAA have decided to put every single hurling game against the Rugby.

    You'd want to be crazy to attend the football games given even less is at stake.

    They could have put all the games on at 12pm and let everyone have a realistic chance of seeing the rugby, since Ireland are in theory, in with a shot of winning it.

    I'd only watch if I thought Wales were going to beat them, personally :)


    I'd say Deighnan was reacting emotionally, as I've heard him make similar criticisms of Offaly himself.

    Must hurt himself and others to see them fall back so far. I remember when we won 21s Leinster final beating them in a brilliant game in packed Parnell in 2006, and it was biggest achievement in Dublin hurling for 40 years.

    Now, no-one including most of the teams in McDonagh and 2A would lose any sleep over facing them. Sad really. Offaly chap of my acquaintance attributes some of it to the success of Birr in the last decade as Birr more or less- a bit like Crossmaglen - ignored the county sides.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83


    Bonniedog wrote: »
    I'd only watch if I thought Wales were going to beat them, personally :)

    Apparently that stops England winning though so you'll end up with happy rugger buggers either way, which is never good.


  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33


    That Offaly stuff always wrecked my head. If you want to stay in Leinster, won more games and don't finish bottom. If you want to stay in division 1, win more games and don't finish in the relegation places. And certainly don't throw away a big lead in a relegation playoff.

    To be fair, like all games yesterday, with the gale force wind it was always going to be a game of two halves. Albeit the fact they played against 14 men for 60 odd minutes is not a great reflection of either the players or the management of seeking the benefit of the numerical advantage.


  • Registered Users Posts: 37,305 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009


    Could be a number of cancellations tomorrow with the weather

    Rumours whatever game/games are postponed will be played on Monday


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3


    PTH2009 wrote: »
    Could be a number of cancellations tomorrow with the weather

    Rumours whatever game/games are postponed will be played on Monday

    Limerick played Clare in the 1/4 final last year on the Monday. That was the famous game that went to a free taking shootout.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog


    No games called off so far it seems.

    Was out with the wolves. Not a hurling day, it can be safely said.


  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭conor05


    I think the ref in this game has made up his mind he is going to give Galway every free going and give Wexford nothing


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83


    conor05 wrote: »
    I think the ref in this game has made up his mind he is going to give Galway every free going and give Wexford nothing

    Are you from Wexford?

    Edit - panic over, he's given Wexford a free just now. Can't believe it's the first they've got after 23 minutes.


  • Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭conor05


    Are you from Wexford?

    Edit - panic over, he's given Wexford a free just now. Can't believe it's the first they've got after 23 minutes.

    What county I am from is irrelevant.

    The second part of your post was relevant, well done!


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Whoevers coaching our forwards needs to be sent packing.

    We're an absolute shambles with the ball, never get balls played to their advantage and when a hard ball is won up there the movement and decision making is dreadful.

    We get caught in 1v1s with plenty of space in our backline then.

    2017 seems a life time away now as we're watching over a year of this crap now.

    Playing a gale for the second week in the first half and still struggling.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83


    conor05 wrote: »
    What county I am from is irrelevant.

    The second part of your post was relevant, well done!

    I'll take that as a yes then. Everyone always thinks that when their own team are playing and it's never true all those times, same as it's not true now.


Advertisement