Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

National Hurling League 2019 Discussion

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I like watching Limerick and even appreciated what they were doing when they beat us last week.

I don't see how anyone can think they are engaged in some innovative negativity! Brennan was on about this last week I think - would rather have sticks poked in ears than listen to him to be honest - but I imagine his target was more Dublin than Limerick.

You would imagine that his own team had been some Corinthian ideal of open gentlemanly play! And no-one detracts from their achievements, Most of them are a lot more pleasant and fair than Garda Brennan :-)

Is this disdain for Brennan based solely on his comments about the Limerick Dublin match or are there examples of previous unpleasantness and unfairness by Brennan behind it?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

threeball wrote: »
    Never accused them of being negative but the constant handpassing between their 21 and 45 isn't particularly appealing. Its starting to resemble football and I don't think that's a good model to follow. More coaches will follow a successful teams strategy just like happened in the football and its ruined the game for years. Anyway, i think they'll be beaten a couple of times before the year is out and that will prevent that happening.

How do you propose getting the ball from your 21 to 45 without handpassing and short stick passes ? They are doing what other teams cant and that's accurate short passes from the back and then accurate long passes to the inside line. Watching them play it out from the back is like poetry in motion. They wont be aped because most teams dont have the backs to touch the quality Limerick have. Casey ,Finn ,English...All 6 of them can play ball. Dan Morrissey is the best half back in Ireland right now. He doesn't make a mistake. Compare him to Paudie Maher who was a fantastic wing man .It's like a professional against an old retired pro now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,234 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Is this disdain for Brennan based solely on his comments about the Limerick Dublin match or are there examples of previous unpleasantness and unfairness by Brennan behind it?

Let's just say it's not the first time that Bonniedog has shown a lot of animosity towards Brennan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Let's just say it's not the first time that Bonniedog has shown a lot of animosity towards Brennan.

Long way to go the season only starting. Lots of experts predicted a 3/4 year dominance when Tipp finally beat kk in 2010 but a year later kk gave them a savage beating in the semi.....and they failed to win another one for 5 years.....talks of LK dominance a little premature yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I don't recall mentioning him before!

I don't like him as a pundit. Nothing personal. Think he is too inclined to be snide and sneering about teams and players. or at least he used to be when he was on Setanta, or was it Sky?

Other former Kilkenny players are excellent observers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭threeball

BloodyBill wrote: »
    How do you propose getting the ball from your 21 to 45 without handpassing and short stick passes ? They are doing what other teams cant and that's accurate short passes from the back and then accurate long passes to the inside line. Watching them play it out from the back is like poetry in motion. They wont be aped because most teams dont have the backs to touch the quality Limerick have. Casey ,Finn ,English...All 6 of them can play ball. Dan Morrissey is the best half back in Ireland right now. He doesn't make a mistake. Compare him to Paudie Maher who was a fantastic wing man .It's like a professional against an old retired pro now.

Amazingly ever other team in history has managed to get from the 21 to the 45 without requiring 8 passes.
    Not everyone had the players to ape Donegal either but that didn't stop them. I for one don't find their style of play particularly interesting to watch. Others I've spoken to feel the same. Not talking away from their players, they have some absolute gems but the style is something I don't want to see replicated by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,184 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Long way to go the season only starting. Lots of experts predicted a 3/4 year dominance when Tipp finally beat kk in 2010 but a year later kk gave them a savage beating in the semi.....and they failed to win another one for 5 years.....talks of LK dominance a little premature yet

The same sort of rubbish about domination was being trotted out wrt Galway last year (not a theory I'd have subscribed to at the time).

The reality is that a lot of teams atm are pretty close in standard. Granted, limerick seem to be going full throttle at the moment, but I'd question if they're as far ahead as they appear ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

RMAOK wrote: »
    The same sort of rubbish about domination was being trotted out wrt Galway last year (not a theory I'd have subscribed to at the time).

The reality is that a lot of teams atm are pretty close in standard. Granted, limerick seem to be going full throttle at the moment, but I'd question if they're as far ahead as they appear ATM.

Here here...!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

RMAOK wrote: »

granted but you have to realize galway only lost the all ireland final by a point , while they were 2nd best all day that day it would have been hard to back against them in the replay if cannings free was scored at the end

limerick have an excellent panel and are a really really good side , but they do struggle against similar types of teams with similar systems , clare in my opinion have an indian sign over them at the moment as they are set up the exact same way as them , strong running game big full froward big half back line ,

one plus against most teams at the moment limerick have is there discipline in the tackle they have it off to a tee and makes there back 6 the strongest in the country going into championship

• Registered Users Posts: 10,873 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

So.....Gillane's goal today or Fennelly's on St.Patrick's Day?

Tough one to separate as they were both amazing, but I would plump for Gillane as the ball was travelling like a bullet, and he was surely unsighted by Noel Connors.

What a skill to see in the game though, no matter how rare an occurrence it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭MfMan

Tough one to separate as they were both amazing, but I would plump for Gillane as the ball was travelling like a bullet, and he was surely unsighted by Noel Connors.

Gillane's - he meant it. Colin Fennelly fell over and the ball hit his hurl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭blue note

granted but you have to realize galway only lost the all ireland final by a point , while they were 2nd best all day that day it would have been hard to back against them in the replay if cannings free was scored at the end

You could make a similar case for Waterford the year before against galway. On a day when everything went over for galway there was only a score in it at the end. As a lot of people say, if Kevin moran had pointed that shot to put us two clear, we could easily have gone on and won it.

The truth is there's very little between about 6 teams. So for that reason I don't see anyone dominating any time soon. And I'd say the odds are that limerick won't win the all Ireland this year. I'd probably have them as favourites though.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

limerick have an excellent panel and are a really really good side , but they do struggle against similar types of teams with similar systems , clare in my opinion have an indian sign over them at the moment as they are set up the exact same way as them , strong running game big full froward big half back line ,

one plus against most teams at the moment limerick have is there discipline in the tackle they have it off to a tee and makes there back 6 the strongest in the country going into championship

Limericks half forwards and half backs are alot bigger than Clares. With Clare it's a derby. Limerick have great respect for Clare having gone to school with many of them in Limerick. Traditionally no matter who's the better team every match is a 50/50. Clare play a slightly less effective type if game but have some great individuals. Theres no comparison with the backs. Limericks are a good deal better. The match in Limerick will be a humdinger again .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,234 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Gillane's was way better. I could envisage Gillane reproducing it in another match whereas Fennelly... his was more of a fluke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭big_drive

Gillane’s by far. A brilliant goal

Advertisement