Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Some Zoe questions

Options

Comments

Yeah good to hold off another while pick up a 40 Kwh Leaf in a few years, hopefully the battery will hold up or maybe a 2nd hand 60 Kwh kona.

Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Yeah good to hold off another while pick up a 40 Kwh Leaf in a few years, hopefully the battery will hold up or maybe a 2nd hand 60 Kwh kona.

Good luck !

thanks .

those kona's do look nice .. as does those e-golfs as well.

400km on one charge that Kona supposed to be isnt it? that's fantastic

thanks .

those kona's do look nice .. as does those e-golfs as well.

400km on one charge that Kona supposed to be isnt it? that's fantastic

I'd say 300 Km would be more realistic 350 may not be so hard and 400 at a stretch. Still a big difference to the 24 Kwh Leaf and 22 Kwh Zoe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Markcheese wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the lease terms are on zoe? Is it indefinite... Or up after 10 years...

They gave me a 5 year interest free credit plan, if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

RangeR wrote: »
    They gave me a 5 year interest free credit plan, if that helps.

Sorry, meant the battery... For some one who went with the separate battery lease...
    (reckon you did well with 5 year interest free finance)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,880 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Markcheese wrote: »
    (reckon you did well with 5 year interest free finance)

Not if he paid full list price for the car. It is extremely overpriced to start with, no wonder they can give a few freebies if you pay full list :p

unkel wrote: »
    Not if he paid full list price for the car. It is extremely overpriced to start with, no wonder they can give a few freebies if you pay full list :p

You pays your money, you takes your choice...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Not only that but removing the 44 Kw charger from the 109 Hp version is shocking.

I've seen the 40 Kwh available for 25K ? that's not too bad but can;t remember what spec, probably 89 Hp basic spec but seen it high as 31K ? Kona 64 Kwh for 40 K ?

Would you buy the Zoe ? though 9k is 9K I suppose if you're on a budget.

Not only that but removing the 44 Kw charger from the 109 Hp version is shocking.

I've seen the 40 Kwh available for 25K ? that's not too bad but can;t remember what spec, probably 89 Hp basic spec but seen it high as 31K ? Kona 64 Kwh for 40 K ?

Would you buy the Zoe ? though 9k is 9K I suppose if you're on a budget.

The pricing seems to be as clear as mud, I'd seen some starting at 25too , but renault. Ie had them starting at 30 something,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

The wife now she decided that she wasnt going to go for an EV anymore and stick with a petrol car because she was 'familiar' with it has been looking at a Clio 2016, €1,000eur more than budget, but anyway its done over 60,000miles and there is no sign of its Timing belt being replaced . That just got me thinking of another silver lining to an Electric Vehicle ownership (on top of other advantages like engine oil change etc) no Timing belt change intervals needed is there? - so thats another plus.

• Advertisement

this is a bit of an eye opener - on Done Deal - its a Zoe 40kw no battery rental but the ad says it has 400km range.

http://tinyurl.com/yyojkef4

Its fitted with 40kw battery .. but I thought only the new 64 Kw electric Kona was the only one in the market that could achieve 400km at the moment?

this is a bit of an eye opener - on Done Deal - its a Zoe 40kw no battery rental but the ad says it has 400km range.

http://tinyurl.com/yyojkef4

Its fitted with 40kw battery .. but I thought only the new 64 Kw electric Kona was the only one in the market that could achieve 400km at the moment?

Yes you're correct, Zoe will probably do 250 Kms average

The Kona 400 average at normal speeds not Leaf or Ioniq speeds. lol

Probably squeeze 450 Km out of the Kona in finer weather, not bad.

Yes you're correct, Zoe will probably do 250 Kms average

The Kona 400 average at normal speeds not Leaf or Ioniq speeds. lol

Probably squeeze 450 Km out of the Kona in finer weather, not bad.

so just a mistake in the wording of the title for the advert then on DD?

so just a mistake in the wording of the title for the advert then on DD?

It's most likely a deliberate attempt to attract unsuspecting potential buyers.

They quote the old NEDC rating and not the more realistic WLTP of 300 Kms but I'd expect 250 Km at any decent speeds, could probably get near 300 on warmer days at slower speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,880 ✭✭✭✭unkel

As I've already told you before, even Renault themselves say the range is 300km in summer and 200km in winter

The price in that ad for a second hand Zoe is ridiculous, you can buy a bigger, faster, far better specced, more reliable and much faster charging Ioniq with a lot more warranty for less money, brand new.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    As I've already told you before, even Renault themselves say the range is 300km in summer and 200km in winter

The price in that ad for a second hand Zoe is ridiculous, you can buy a bigger, faster, far better specced, more reliable and much faster charging Ioniq with a lot more warranty for less money, brand new.

You'd have bought my Ioniq for less than they are asking for that Zoe.
    26k for a Zoe when there's a new one with CCS due and the current one is essentially a MY2012 car with a bigger battery shoved in is madness.

Saw a guy on you tube, doing a lap of the London m25, at 70 miles an hour, at 3 degrees C.
    I think he had about 16 or 17 miles left, after doing 130 miles...
    I'm intrigued to see the new zoe, and what it's spec and price will be.. At the moment it's the only small size electric out there...
    And when I started checking it against the ice cars that my parents are looking at, it's not that much dearer...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭boarduser01

I have a 2016 24kw Leaf, my partner has a 2015 22kw BATTERY OWNED Zoe. So I can compare the two very well. However to answer some of your original questions:

1.) if the batteries end up worn out , or no longer charge/hold charge I presume you get them changed at the renult main dealer but who foots the bill and if the owner pays are they then hugely expensive? - Battery leased get changed at 70%, free of charge, you could get an upgrade to a 40kw for free for a while. Battery owned currently cannot be replaced, this stopped a year or so back, and will change again in the future, but there is a stop on replacing batteries currently, private companies are starting to propose doing this and it will become more common in the future. With regards to the Leaf, batteries can be changed out in the Nissan garages, or privately for much cheaper. One company is also about to do 30kw and 40kw upgrades to the 24kw leaf, that the Nissan garages are not offering.

2.) whats the chances of a used one coming with the 2 Granny cables the 13a 3 pin plug one and the street charging one? - I have read that if you have to buy the 13a plug one it could be 500euro for an official Renault one or around 200euro for a non-official one? You can get Granny cables easily online, and there are plenty of reputable companies in Ireland supplying them. They come in handy very occasionally while out and about, but I have only used the granny cable in my Leaf twice in 3 years, and never used the Zoe one. You are best using the government grant to get a home charger installed. (we have two)

3.) what tyres does the Zoe take are they run of the mill low profile ones , or expensive one just for the Zoe? - they are no more expensive than many ICE cars.

4.) does a spare wheel come in the boot for a Zoe? - no spare wheel, almost no cars are sold these days with spare wheels, it is all the emergency spray can!

5.) Can the air con be turned off in the zoe and just have normal heat/cold coming out of the vents ? Yes can be switched off as can the Leaf.

6.) the brake pads and shoes, do they share with any other Renault (say like Clio) and be got hold of easily enough (even like at hafords or a motor factors) for reasonable prices or are they anything special ? Brake pads due to regenerative braking are not really that important cost wise, in nearly 100,000km in my Leaf and the brake pads look almost new!

The only parts I have had to get are the Air filter (20 euros) every 20,000km, and the tyres at around 60,000km.

7.) the screen panel on the dash, does that have reversing camera and sat nav and is it touchscreen or not. - different cars have different, it depends on the original model/spec. Sat-Nav comes as standard in both, but with the older cars this will be out of date.
    Zoe, the reversing camera was an optional extra, but a standard I think on Leafs.

8.) how do they handle in the snow/ice? do they just handle like other automatics? - Its been years since I have driven an automatic car , but normally in the 5 speed manual ones I select high gear and use the engine as a brake in the snow. How would you work it in the Zoe or is the torque such that they are good in the snow? I have driven through floods that would cut out an ICE car, and driven in snow, as the car is heavier it is somewhat easier in snow! Regenerative braking comes into its own here.

9.) are there any heated seats or heated steering wheel in these Zoe's? - I think the Nissan leaf have them I'm not sure . - -
    - Heated seats optional extras, not on every zoe. Heated seats and heated steering wheel optional on the Leaf as is the upgrade from 3.3 to 6.6kw on-board charger for the type 2 cables. My Leaf has the cold pack and 6.6kw charger, but it is not common to get these, in the Zoe the heated seats are a more recent addition and still costs to get them added on the base model.

10.) if you are driving along and the battery is near to the end do you get an audable alert and if it does be near to empty do they just stop altogether or do they just slow down so you can at least pull over? - Yes you get both audible and visual warning of the low battery in both the Leaf and the Zoe. The Leaf has a guess-o-meter in milage that can vastly under-estimate what range is left. The Zoe bases its range on distance, and takes the general driving style of the previous few days into account in its estimate, but is generally quite accurate in it. Both give a around 10km initial warning that your battery is low, then another at around 5 kms very low battery warning, then if you carry on there is on the leaf a snails pace that kicks in that gives you 1km in which to pull over to a safe location. I have never reached less than 5Km with the Zoe, so not familiar with what happens there!!!! But you get to know your common routes, you get to know how much charge you need, and it is not a worry!

If you drive less than 60km a day and can charge your car overnight at home, then financially the EV is the only logical choice. If you drive further (more than 100km a day) and have to rely on the (currently free to charge) public network regularly, then it probably is still financially a sensible decision, but it will depend at some point on the pricing on the public network.

In the UK the fast chargers are located along the main roads cost still just about less than the cost of petrol. Then adding in the reduced cost in terms of maintenance and repairs, and road tax, then the figures still work out well, but the planning of which chargers and journey times takes a bit more effort in the lower range EV's. Hence why we are about to upgrade from a 22kw to a 40kw Zoe, as we have no ICE car.

I love the comfort of the Leaf, I love the faster charging at 22kw charge points for the Zoe (vs 6.6kw speed with the Leaf it is a big difference). Both cars are great to drive, the Zoe feels more like a traditional little car to drive, like a Ford fiesta, the Leaf feels more like a lovely family size car with comfort and space for passengers in the back.

As for where you live, you are poorly serviced by public charged points in Sligo, the only fast charger is North of Sligo in Grange, the 22kw chargers in Sligo town are often occupied, but you do have two new ones at the Lidl.

There is plenty of mis-information on this thread, but I hope that I have answered some of your questions.

Excellent and exhaustive answers , thank you ever so much for taking the time to write that all out and post it on here boardsuser1 . I bet it will help others as well who are looking and thinking of buying one. You just don't get all these answers like this when you are looking at reviews on the net, they are either biased reviews or don't go into enough detail like you have. Thanks again. My wife went for a Clio 4 in the end, we were so near to buying a used 2014 22kw Zoe and I would have loved it and I still would like to own one, one of these days . In all honesty I think maybe she made the right choice for herself , I sort of said to her that she would have to adapt and wait for car to top up charge when she would be out , but I know how impatient she can be sometimes and if traveling to somewhere don't like hanging around, even if she shops she is normally in and out and no hanging about, so that aspect of things maybe she was better off sticking with petrol car.
    Thanks again for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Does anyone know if there is a company in Ireland upgrading 22kwh Zoe battery packs to the 40kwh packs? If so any idea of price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Renault are currently offering 0% finance in the Zoe I know it's quiet expensive nearly same price as an ioniq and all but wonder if it's a good deal for a 191?

Nolars wrote: »
    Renault are currently offering 0% finance in the Zoe I know it's quiet expensive nearly same price as an ioniq and all but wonder if it's a good deal for a 191?

What price is it coming in at?
    I’m looking at a 22kwh for 9k battery included. Looking to see how much it’d cost to upgrade to 40kwh battery pack.

Renault does not do upgrades on batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

tom1ie wrote:
    What price is it coming in at? I’m looking at a 22kwh for 9k battery included. Looking to see how much it’d cost to upgrade to 40kwh battery pack.

2500 deposit 23300 financed 399pm

Renault does not do upgrades on batteries.

? In Ireland or in general because I’ve seen some articles on upgrading the battery pack in the U.K.

You're talking about going from 22 - 40 Kwh ? I have never heard of Renault anywhere offering upgrades to older 22 Kwh Zoe.

I could be wrong of course even if you could it would not be worth it in my opinion.

You're talking about going from 22 - 40 Kwh ? I have never heard of Renault anywhere offering upgrades to older 22 Kwh Zoe.

I could be wrong of course even if you could it would not be worth it in my opinion.

“For customers that are currently leasing the battery the upgrade will cost 3.500 € and a new leasing contract with higher monthly fees has to be signed, however for those who already own the battery the upgrade will cost 9.900 €.

While the battery upgrades for current ZOE’s owners will start in the second semester this year, there isn’t an official date yet. This uncertainty can be related to the LG Chem battery plant in Poland that will start production also in the second semester.

Renault has a clear interest of delaying the battery upgrades and prioritize the selling of new ZOEs.”

So that’s from an article I read. The ze20 supposedly delivers 100k range in cold weather where the ze40 delivers 250k range in cold weather.
    Although:

Older Zoes using the battery would get a less significant range increase because of various design upgrades.[4] Options to buy the battery would be available,[4] and also revised lease plans.[30]
    So 200k range approx with a battery upgrade. This could make sense to me if I can get the ze20 for 9k and a battery upgrade for a reasonable price.
    I’d still have an ice at home for longer journeys.

So I just got an answer off a certain Renault dealer who said they upgrade ze20 battery packs to ze40 battery packs. It takes an hour to do so labour would cost 107.83 and the battery pack would cost........€13500!! It’s to be financed through Renault bank.
    Forget about that so!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

There should be some deals done soon on Zoe's as the second generation version will be available later in 2019 with a 61kWh battery pack.

• Advertisement

Just wait and buy a 2nd hand leaf 60 Kwh , much better car in my opinion.

Advertisement