Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If your car broke down on the motorway...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

theres not enough education on motorway rules.
    ive seen so many people just pull in to answer the phone/take a leak.
    i know enough to leave the car if theres a breakdown and get well back behind the barrier away from the car. only learned it reading an article in some paper. it needs to be taught, drivers dont know this automatically

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I had an instance where the coolant pump failed in my car heading up to Belfast. Didn't have a coat and it was absolutely bucketing down. Pulled into the hard shoulder and waited a couple of minutes with the hazards on until it cooled a tiny bit so I could get a bit further (was just north of Dundalk) so I could pull I to the large layby near the exit for Jonesboro.
    Was absolutely bricking it while the car was on the hard shoulder and was also staring out at the pouring rain thinking "I'm going to get absolutely soaked to the bone waiting for the guts of an hour to be picked up but I certainly can't stay here..."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1/. Pull into hard shoulder.

2/. Put on hazard lights.

3/. Get away from the car.

4/. Call for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Eh, no - because the evidence presented said that other motorists saw the flashing hazard lights and took evasive action.

Yes but did they mean other motorists at the time the truck driver hit them or other motorists previous to this.

If scenario one then I have my answer and withdraw my comment, If scenario two then my comment still stands

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

redcup342 wrote: »
    If you are in the overtaking lane and d!cks are undertaking you as they do on the M50 then it's quite difficult.

If you're being undertaken on the M50 then you're probably in the wrong lane mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If you're being undertaken on the M50 then you're probably in the wrong lane mate.

TBH I'm guilty of nipping down the inside lane when really I should be in the outside lane. People simply don't use the inside lane of the M50 due to the junctions.

Yeah yeah I know, I'd prefer people be in the correct lane too but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of undertaking does go on, on the M50.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It's a tragic story and the reliance of hazard lights being a safe option has to be looked at.

This is stupid though... I was on the M1 heading North and was overtaken by an estate car ambulance, not a full size one. A mondeo sized estate with flashing blues and a siren. After a few kilometres the car-ambulance was stopped in the over taking lane and everyone overtaking had slowed right down to merge in turn in to the driving lane. Turns out a middle aged couple had assumed the ambulance was a cop car, thought they were being pulled and stopped dead in the overtaking lane. Luckily everyone (except the car that had stopped with the ambulance behind them) was on the ball and traffic had slowed to a walking pace and I witnessed the paramedics roaring at the driver to move on and move the **** on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

TBH I'm guilty of nipping down the inside lane when really I should be in the outside lane. People simply don't use the inside lane of the M50 due to the junctions. Yeah yeah I know, I'd prefer people be in the correct lane too but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of undertaking does go on, on the M50.

I don't think you're guilty of anything. If people are dawdling in the outside lanes and you come upon them in the driving lane then I'd say carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,439 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Miss the bit where they said the car had lost power?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Maybe she did not have time to get out or the road was busy, but should have put on hazard lights all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I don't think you're guilty of anything. If people are dawdling in the outside lanes and you come upon them in the driving lane then I'd say carry on.

i think the poster was saying that the guy being undertaken was in the wrong lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

goat2 wrote: »
    Maybe she did not have time to get out or the road was busy, but should have put on hazard lights all the same.

It was 5am. I'm often on the M50 at that time. There's some traffic on it but it's certainly possible to run across to the hard shoulder.
    It's in the record that she was there for quite a while.

I think the punishment is harsh on the driver.

I haven;t read the whole thread, but didn't a Garda (off duty) get off without punishment when he killed two people who were fighting/lying on the motorway? Surely you could say he wasn't paying attention either. Truck driver has been disproportionately punished in my opinion, and should appeal.

As for whether i'd leave the car or not, if i was in a 'live' lane, then yeah I'd get out and run for it. If i got to the hard shoulder I'd stay in the car, though.

Rear fogs turned on would have helped in this situation too (as from a distance they'd look like brake lights). As others have said, my first call, if i was in a live lane, would be to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

goat2 wrote: »

She did have her Hazards on. If she was in the over taking lane, what was wrong with the central median.

I know hind sight is a wonderful thing, and considering she was ringing her insurance company, was obviously not thinking straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Her vehicle being stopped was impeding the flow of traffic. If it were a motorcyclist that hit her car and was killed she would have been at fault

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Her vehicle being stopped was impeding the flow of traffic. If it were a motorcyclist that hit her car and was killed she would have been at fault

No she wouldn't ,the motorcyclist should be able to stop in the distance he could see to be clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

RustyNut wrote: »
    No she wouldn't ,the motorcyclist should be able to stop in the distance he could see to be clear.

not on a "motorway" where no vehicle should ever be stopped (excluding traffic jams of course)

not on a "motorway" where no vehicle should ever be stopped (excluding traffic jams of course)

there are exceptions and this is one

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

. If i got to the hard shoulder I'd stay in the car, though.
    ai.

And this, kids, is why people end up dead........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

A compitent driver should be expecting the unexpected and always be able to stop in the distance they can see to be clear. Motorway or not.

• Advertisement

absolutely, if I could I'd get the car off the tarmac and on to the grass, and then get out and move away

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

peasant wrote: »
    Btw

If your car engine ever conks out in a really bad spot and you need to move it a few meters to safety, you can get going on the starter motor alone.

Leave it in gear, turn the starter on and immediately press the clutch (letting go of the starter key). This should give you a little push...rinse and repeat until out of danger.
    You could also try to keep the starter turning and modulate the clutch, that should also move you a bit.

Obviously not great for the components involved...but better than getting crushed by a 40 ton truck

Spot on, thats what I was going to suggest. Pity not many know how to do this.
    Anyway new models with press button ignition won`t move. In my view thats a backward step. Moving a car in 3rd gear on the starter motor would have always got you out of a dangerous situation

• Registered Users Posts: 14,557 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sad case sympathies to all concerned.

If you have the misfortune to break down in a driving lane and can't get to the hard shoulder the best thing to do is put on hazards and get out to safety behind the barrier.

The first call should be to the Gardai who will manage the traffic situation to prevent an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭tomoliver

you'd be mad to stay in a parked car on a motorway hard shoulder

you don't know what clown is coming up behind

I'll take my chances. :)

Broke down before on the motorway, slept in the car on the hard shoulder for about 4 hours waiting on assistance. All was well in the world.

Not suggesting you, or anyone else, has to do it, but if I'm in the hard shoulder I'll stay in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Broke down before on the motorway, slept in the car on the hard shoulder for about 4 hours waiting on assistance. All was well in the world.

Not suggesting you, or anyone else, has to do it, but if I'm in the hard shoulder I'll stay in the car.

You obviously place little value on your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,557 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Please people, don't follow this example.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

dudara wrote: »
    I was involved in something similar years ago. My car lost power on the N7 three lane carriageway. I made it to the hard shoulder, but I didn’t get out straight away (I know!) as I was getting stuff sorted. Another driver (an elderly gent who was driving on the hard shoulder) rear-ended me. Thankfully my big car versus his Micra worked in my favour but still very scary.

Staying in a broken down car on a motorway or in a hard shoulder is one of the quickest things you can do to shorten your lifespan.

I understand from the article that the truck driver failed to see the hazards, but it literally only takes one oversight, one mistake and that’s it, game over. I do feel huge sympathy for the truck driver.

What are these people driving in the hard shoulder for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

One recommendation that should have come out of it is the need to have a Hi Viz vest in every car when travelling on a motorway, not saying it would have saved her if she exitted the vehicle but it would have made her much more visible if she had to. I know they are mandatory in France.

And a whistle to attract attention

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

RustyNut wrote: »
    A compitent driver should be expecting the unexpected and always be able to stop in the distance they can see to be clear. Motorway or not.

This is a fallacy, a driver is expected to react to the conditions at a given time, people are not expected to be able to see into the future and react to things that may happen outside of their control which is what causes accidents, drivers can only control what they have control over, this woman did herself no favours but the truck drivers lapse in concentration didn't help matters, she should have got out but that's where her decision making let her down, her reactions to her situation ultimately led to her death, which is sad

Advertisement