Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If your car broke down on the motorway...

Options
  • 18-01-2019 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭

Read this story:
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/suspended-sentence-for-truck-driver-who-caused-motorists-death-in-m50-accident-898455.html

Basically what happened was a persons car broke down on the M50 at 5am on a Wednesday morning.
    The Car broke down on one of the lanes and the driver didn't make it to the hard shoulder.
    The person stayed in their car for approximately 17 minutes attempting to contact their insurance company.
    The hazard lights were turned on but there was torrential rain that morning.
    Other cars avoided the broken down car.
    A truck then hit the car, then another truck hit it. The occupant was died in hospital a few days later.
    The Truck driver of the first truck was sentenced today for dangerous driving.
    1 Year suspended sentence
    Licence suspended for 4 years

If it were me, and it was 5am on the Motorway, I'd have gotten out of the car when a gap appeared an made my way either to the centre divide or the hard shoulder/embankment as soon as the gap appeared.
    There is no way I'd have stayed in the car.

I think the licence suspended for the truck driver is harsh, it's their livelihood that's been taken away and they have no previous convictions and have shown remorse for what happened.
    I think it was very stupid of the person to stay in the Car on a Motorway at that time of the day given the poor visibility.

Would you get out of or stay in the car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

grahambo wrote: »
    Read this story:
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/suspended-sentence-for-truck-driver-who-caused-motorists-death-in-m50-accident-898455.html

Basically what happened was a persons car broke down on the M50 at 5am on a Wednesday morning.
    The Car broke down on one of the lanes and the driver didn't make it to the hard shoulder.
    The person stayed in their car for approximately 17 minutes attempting to contact their insurance company.
    A truck then hit the car, then another truck hit it. The occupant was died in hospital a few days later.

If it were me, and it was 5am on the Motorway, I'd have gotten out of the car when a gap appeared an made my way either to the centre divide or the hard shoulder/embankment as soon as the gap appeared.

I think the licence suspended for the truck driver is harsh, it's their livelihood that's been taken away and they have no previous convictions and have shown remorse for what happened.
    I think it was very stupid of the person to stay in the Car on a Motorway at that time of the day given the poor visibility.

Sounds like a harsh punishment alright, if it was me hazard lights on, Over then if possible behind a barrier on hard shoulder or far enough out of the way and call the emergency services ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Read this story:

Very sad, but you are right, not much the Truck driver(s) could do about it, death of the Woman would have been more than enough punishment.

Don't know if i'd really handle getting out of the car in the pissing rain on the M50 either tbh.

But society needs someone to blame so in this case it's the Truck Driver

But I would be ringing the Gardai not the Insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,499 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I wouldn't even stay in the car on the hard shoulder.

I wouldn't stay in a stationary car on the motorway if at all avoidable.
    Hard shoulder included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Yeh but at least you can get out and over the barrier, if you are in the overtaking lane and d!cks are undertaking you as they do on the M50 then it's quite difficult to pull into the hard should if you are losing power.

Edit:

Imagine running across from the overtaking lane (3 lanes) in the p1ssing rain

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....If it were me, and it was 5am on the Motorway, I'd have gotten out ....
    I'd have gotten out regardless of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

redcup342 wrote: »
    Very sad, but you are right, not much the Truck driver(s) could do about it, death of the Woman would have been more than enough punishment.

Don't know if i'd really handle getting out of the car in the pissing rain on the M50 either tbh.

But society needs someone to blame so in this case it's the Truck Driver

But I would be ringing the Gardai not the Insurance company.

This is the unfortunate but I don't get... I would call the gardai immediately and try get to the side of possible.. What were her insurance company going to do to help... But this would not always be possible I can imagine.... Sad situation.

redcup342 wrote: »
    Very sad, but you are right, not much the Truck driver(s) could do about it....
    Well he admitted in court he wasn't paying attention. Other drivers spotted the hazard lights and acted accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,499 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

One recommendation that should have come out of it is the need to have a Hi Viz vest in every car when travelling on a motorway, not saying it would have saved her if she exitted the vehicle but it would have made her much more visible if she had to. I know they are mandatory in France.

... What were her insurance company going to do to help....
    Presumably her policy included breakdown assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You are told to get out of a car and get to a safe place if at all possible.

Just because one motorist seen it rain and spray can change in seconds.

Why did he admit to careless driving.

I think it's very wrong, the car shouldn't have been there, 1st call in them situations is 999 and state location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

One recommendation that should have come out of it is the need to have a Hi Viz vest in every car when travelling on a motorway, not saying it would have saved her if she exitted the vehicle but it would have made her much more visible if she had to. I know they are mandatory in France.

Don't most new cars come with the safety pack these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Very harsh on the truck driver. As others have said, I would get out even if I was on the hard shoulder. Seems almost vindictive to prosecute the guy for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Read this story:

I think it's very stupid to be giving your opinion on the matter when you

A. Werent there.
    B. Didnt know the person. (I did btw, and she was far from stupid)
    C. Calling a person stupid who has died in tragic circumstances.

For what its worth, you are only supposed to leave the vehicle if it is safe to do so and you can get across the cariageway safely which one would assume she felt she was incapable of doing giving the torrential rain and reduced visibility at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was involved in something similar years ago. My car lost power on the N7 three lane carriageway. I made it to the hard shoulder, but I didn’t get out straight away (I know!) as I was getting stuff sorted. Another driver (an elderly gent who was driving on the hard shoulder) rear-ended me. Thankfully my big car versus his Micra worked in my favour but still very scary.

Staying in a broken down car on a motorway or in a hard shoulder is one of the quickest things you can do to shorten your lifespan.

I understand from the article that the truck driver failed to see the hazards, but it literally only takes one oversight, one mistake and that’s it, game over. I do feel huge sympathy for the truck driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

It is extremely dangerous to be stationary on a motorway and also stopped in the hard shoulder - I see it regularly - people pulled over the hard shoulder to take/make phone calls etc - they dont realise the danger they are putting themselves in at all -

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/suspended-sentence-for-truck-driver-who-caused-the-death-of-young-mother-1.3496298

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It's worth knowing that there's free 24hr rescue on the M50.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think it’s recommnded that you exit the vehicle and wait well behind the barrier until help arrives. I was traveling with a colleague and his car broke down on the M50, and he pulled in on the shoulder and we got out and went about halfway up the embankment thing behind the barrier while we waited for the AA.

That being said, if I broke down in the middle of the M50, I could totally understand how someone would think safest thing to do is wait in the car, as opposed to trying to run across multiple lanes of the motorway. It was scary enough standing beside it while cars and trucks went racing past, the idea of trying to run across would seem like insanity.

allybhoy wrote: »
    ...Calling a person stupid who has died in tragic circumstances.....
    Steady on.

He/she described the action as stupid, not the person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

It was 5am, I imagine she should have been able to get to safety.She should have got out and up the bank and then phoned 999 as she was creating a hazzard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Toots wrote: »
    I think it’s recommnded that you exit the vehicle and wait well behind the barrier until help arrives. I was traveling with a colleague and his car broke down on the M50, and he pulled in on the shoulder and we got out and went about halfway up the embankment thing behind the barrier while we waited for the AA.

That being said, if I broke down in the middle of the M50, I could totally understand how someone would think safest thing to do is wait in the car, as opposed to trying to run across multiple lanes of the motorway. It was scary enough standing beside it while cars and trucks went racing past, the idea of trying to run across would seem like insanity.

At 5am it would be quiet enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Presumably her policy included breakdown assistance.

They weren't going to help her in the middle of the M50. Gardai first.. Then leave as soon as safe to do so.. Then worry about insurance and break down. None of the latter any use if your dead. As unfortunately happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Anyway, it's a tragedy. All I can do is express my condolences to all concerned. We don't always make the right decisons in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The one thing I'd say is that if you see a car in the hard shoulder on most Irish motorways, it's advisable to put your indicator on and move into the overtaking lane to give them plenty of space.

The hard shoulders are pretty tight, it gives them a bit of a less frightening experience and also any traffic behind you will see your indicator and manoeuvre and know to avoid.

Sometimes in the dark it's not even entirely clear if a car's fully in then hard shoulder until you get quite close up, especially where the road's not totally straight. So, I always give them plenty of room.

I'm very aware of doing that after I saw a guy changing a wheel with his human rear end literally out into lane 1 of the M8!

Also if you are stopped in the hard shoulder PUT YOUR HAZARDS ON!
    I've seen cars stopped without them on on a few occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I think she was wrong to stay in the car. It being raining is no excuse. As others mentioned if it was raining it could have been hard to see the car, it also takes a lot more braking power to stop a truck than a car or to slow down and move to the other lane.

Dont think the truck driver should be punished. Its a horrible situation though.

I fair to understand why the car wasnt able to make it to the hard shoulder. If the engine cut out surely you would be able to make it over to the hard shoulder before coming to a stop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Correct, the M50 at that time is somewhat busy but not to the point that there is no gaps or room.

She had 17 minutes to find a chance to leave.

I wonder did any motorist that witnessed the vehicle call 999 as they should have with it obstructing a live lane.

Those sign gantries should have been fitted from day one.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Yes, but it would also have been dark and pissing rain, she might not have felt she could have gotten out of the car and across the road safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Toots wrote: »

In 17 minutes at 5 in the morning I'm sure there was plenty of chances to get out and get to the barrier.

Sitting in a stationary car in the middle of the motorway in the rain was about the worst option to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Out of the car, over the crash barrier, and call the guards. What did they expect the insurance company were going to do.

Really have to feel for the truck driver though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Cartroubles

Am I missing something here? The driver said he wasn't paying attention and failed to avoid the car where other drivers succeeded. He was in the wrong completely. Pay attention when driving, simple.

But no way I'd stay in the car. Drive on the m50 daily, the standard of driving is shocking.

Advertisement