Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPG - Murder on the Canadian Express SIGN UP THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Jesus Christ that's class :)

Fourier we found one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Jacques Lefebvre

Strength [ 8 ] Dexterity [ 8 ] Endurance [ 6 ] Intelligence [ 9 ] Education [ 10 ] Society [ 7 ]

Jacques has deluded himself into thinking he is Hercule Poirot, and so fancies himself as the next great detective. In reality, he is a librarian with a questionable moustache, an array of three-piece suits, a fabulous cane and a completely unnecessary pince-nez.

Medicine
    Investigation
    Computer (Main Skill)
    Engineering

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

That's brilliant Barney :D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭opentarget

Barney92 wrote: »
    Jacques Lefebvre

a questionable moustache, an array of three-piece suits, a fabulous cane and a completely unnecessary pince-nez.

Sounds like half the people I work with :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Okay that's everybody done nicely.

I'll have a few posts tomorrow for some little starting items your characters have (e.g. Strawb will get a pistol, if she wants it).

On Sunday I'll have the opening post and details of how we'll play the game, i.e. when I'll be online to respond etc

And on Monday we start!

• Advertisement

Damn right I want a pistol!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Sean Moore has always considered himself a good guy. But he's a good guy who just does bad things .

A fondness for the ladies, Irish whiskey and the odd rail of cocaine often leads Sean down paths that he doesn't need to go. He sees is as "boys being boys" but sadly, it's been many a year since he could claim being of boy age.

When on the straight and narrow however, Sean is an accomplished jiu jitsu performer. Taking home dozens of medals in competition. Sean took great satisfaction in using technique, resilience and quick wits to overpower stronger opponents and lock in sleeper holds or an armbar. There's a famous clip of Sean choking out a much larger opponent, scanning the crowd , locking eyes with the opponents girlfriend and giving her a cheeky wink and smile.

His work has always remained a mystery. People only know he wears an expensive suit and works "for the government" which involves a lot of time away and travel overseas. Anyone who has seen him on the shooting range knows those talents go beyond natural instincts. He always has the latest babe mobile car in the drive way and is in excellent shape despite rarely seen working out. Never married, Sean has a wide social circle and attends luxury events all over the world with his home littered with keepsakes from every corner of the globe.

A keen sense of adventure and a search for adrenaline has seen Sean sign up for this journey. (And in the back of his mind , he's heard that CANADIAN women are drop dead goegeous) .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭tritium

Alexander Dimitri petrovic was born in a small village near St. Petersburg, and joined the Russian secret service after being approached by representatives during his time in university. Seen as a solid performer rather than a star in his class, his strength was quickly identified as being in the diplomatic side of things, albeit he also had a keen ability to work with electronics and IEDs when needed.

Within active service he was acknowledged as a fine negotiator in his team, but struggled to rise beyond the rank of Captain, hampered by official suspicion of him due to his Jewish immigrant grandparents and his late fathers political activities and associated criminal record.

Well respected within the service, he’d earned the nickname the polar bear from a hostage incident he’d resolved at a research centre near the arctic circle. Unflatteringly his detractors modified this to the failure bear shortly after when another hostage situation went disastrously wrong, leading to the deaths of all hostages and Alexander suffering severe injuries that left him with a pronounced limp.

Embittered by what he saw as political interference leading to the missions failure, Alexander resigned his commission. He left Russia shortly after a prominent Russian official, a man Alexander blamed for his missions failure, was killed in a blast caused by an improvised bomb hidden in his ballpoint pen. While questioned about the murder, ultimately Alexander was released after two Chechen separatists were linked to the crime and killed in a firefight at a local shopping mall. The officers who interrogated Alexander described him as a ‘sound guy’, one beaming as he told how he’d swapped his Mercedes for Alexander’s skoda in a “super deal”

traveling and working freelance for a number of years. His work in Iraq convinced him that both sides were as bad as each other, and he would likely have spent his days as an asset for hire to the highest bidder were it not for the intervention of sister O’Shea of the little sisters of the poor. An unexpected role in helping the kindly old sister negotiate the release of a school full of children held hostage by the Taliban had given Alexander a purpose again, and in recent years he has dedicated his time to more ethical causes.

Somewhat rehabilitated with his former Russian paymasters he is currently considering an offer to return to the service. In the meantime however he travels on the Canadian express to fulfill a debt of honour- to visit the ailing Sister O’Shea in her final days. Either with the grace of god or his own steam he is determined to get there in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Jesus these stories are brilliant. Heta's story will not be as detailed. Lol. Will get something up later maybe. What timeframe are we set in? 20s or present day or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭opentarget

Seriously great cast of characters coming together!
    Really painting a picture.

• Advertisement

Ah man!

Meryl Sidebottom does not know how she ended up in Canada. She woke one day and found herself in a hospital ward. The medical staff there said she was involved in a car accident 3 weeks previously. Her injuries left her with amnesia.

The only things known about her is she has a London accent and is approximately 26 years old. She does not know her real name and was given the name Meryl by the sweet old gift cart lady who visited the hospital ward.

Heta Mari is a dutch lady around the age of 30 (she won't ever confirm her real age). She moved with her family to Indonesia when she was a young girl and grew up surrounded by the exotic which made a huge impact on her. At an early age she became entranced by the Indonesian culture and joined a dance group where she learned the sacred art of Indian dance. She used her skills as a dancer to seduce men and make powerful allies which allowed her the luxury of travelling extensively and living comfortably wherever she went.
    She eventually ended up in Paris where she performed her dance act in local theatres and gained some notoriety for her provocative exotic dancing. A version of the dance of the seven veils was especially popular and she played to packed out houses nightly. Always seeking power however, she used her body and mysterious nature to make powerful friends. Her powers of seduction and keen investigation skills allowed her to get close to important men and steal secrets from them which made her a powerful woman in Paris. This caught the attention of the French authorities who made Heta an offer she couldn't refuse. She's been invited on board the Canadian Express with a mission to seduce an officer and gain what information she can about a new threat to France.

Random rolled items (the roll was weighted a good bit by your skills).

Items:
    Strawberry: Magnum revolver and lockpick
    Molly: Forensics kit and stealth gear (can be a ninja outfit if you want)
    Pter: Daggers and fine wines
    tritium: Repair kit, lockpick and posh evening wear
    quickbeam: Shotgun and bullet proof armour
    Chancer: Silenced pistol and lockpick
    opentarget: Medikit, knuckle dusters
    Barney: High end hacking laptop

sullivlo is Aurora a civilian rather than a spy/cop. Barney is as well, so no problem, it's just to determine the item.

How many fine wines?

Pter wrote: »
    How many fine wines?
    Eight bottles and they are very fine wines, upper crust rare French wines

Oh la la

Any kind of daggers in particular or can I write it into my bio?

It's a "Stealth" dagger as such, in that it doesn't show up on metal detectors. Beyond that it can look as you wish.

Cheers mate (Ozzie slang isn't great in text format)

OF COURSE I WANT A NINJA OUTFIT OMFG. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,421 ✭✭✭tritium

How broadly can I interpret “repair”?:)
    Like a toolkit? Able to modify

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

Fourier wrote: »
    Random rolled items (the roll was weighted a good bit by your skills).

Items:
    Strawberry: Magnum revolver and lockpick
    Molly: Forensics kit and stealth gear (can be a ninja outfit if you want)
    Pter: Daggers and fine wines
    tritium: Repair kit, lockpick and posh evening wear
    quickbeam: Shotgun and bullet proof armour
    Chancer: Silenced pistol and lockpick
    opentarget: Medikit, knuckle dusters
    Barney: High end hacking laptop

sullivlo is Aurora a civilian rather than a spy/cop. Barney is as well, so no problem, it's just to determine the item.

I'd just like to come clean and say I that I hacked into the random roll so I'd end up with a high end laptop to do even more hacking. Hope that's not a problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Otto Hergert was the epitome of a perfect Aryan German. In his looks at least. His ancestry told a different story. His mother Hilda Hergert was the daughter of Franz and Gertrude Hergert. Franz was an early victim of Nazi ruthlessness, being taken away for having critical and outspoken views of the new regime, never to be heard of again. Gertrude and Hilda were no less critical to the new regime, but a lot less vocal, working covertly with the Resistance, doing what little they could on a widow's pension to hide and smuggle Jews and others out of harm's way. Hilda was barely 16 when the war started, but a hardened war veteran of 22 by the time the war ended. She was one of the last to leave East Germany before the border was irrevocably closed for the best part of half a century. Gertrude hadn't made it and she never saw her again.

Otto was born in peace-time, after the war, and was now 62 years old. But he had kept himself fit and healthy in mind and body had could have bested most people half his age. He never knew his father. Hilda would never speak of him, except that a strange, sad smile would come to her face whenever he asked her about him. He heard stories of the exploits during the war and grew determined to continue his family's legacy. He worked as a mild mannered middle-management position in the motor industry, but in his spare time he dedicated to perfecting his skills in order to route out fascist cells and Stasi informers and branding his own form of justice.

With Reunification, he found he could mostly retire from his secret life. It was in one hazy day of madness that he decided to take a holiday, and see for himself the majestic country that he'd only ever seen in movies and read about in books. After a life dedicated to justice he felt he deserved a relaxing journey on the Canadian Express.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

ipanews_a4fdfb90-2c28-4c66-ad50-9b56b2a3e639_embedded165022

Christopher Hemsworthy was always an easy going fella. He has a very jovial character, with his catch phrase being 'im sorry about that mate'.

Hemsworthy was born in Melbourne, to an English teacher mother, and a social-services counsellor father. He is the middle of three boys; his brothers, Lucas (older) and Willy (younger). His maternal grandfather is a Dutch immigrant, his maternal grandmother is of Irish descent, and his other ancestry is English, Scottish, and German. He was raised both in Melbourne and in the Outback in the Northern Territory region of Australia. He has previously stated, "My earliest memories were on the cattle stations up in the Outback, and then we moved back to Melbourne and then back out there and then back again. Certainly most of my childhood was in Melbourne but probably my most vivid memories were up there in Bulman with crocodiles and buffalo. Very different walks of life."

While living in the Outback, company and diversions were hard to come by. He kept boredom at bay by attempting to sate a rapacious appetite for books and learning. He would easily devour a thick stack of books in any given day, storing away random nuggets of knowledge in his mind for future use.

Relatively early on in his adulthood he discovered an aptitude for martial arts, gambling and team sports (where he often found himself chosen as team captain). His natural athleticism seemed boosted by the fact that he looked a lot leaner, fitter and stronger than he may actually have been.

Hemsworthy leveraged his good humour and powers of persuasion to swap an old set crocodile boots he owned for the nicest set of assassin's daggers he had ever seen. Despite being now bootless, he found himself feeling more secure during his travels....one never knows when carousing needs to be backed up with force.

Still in his 30s, he came into some money after successfully winning a high stakes poker tournament in Paris. In a drunken stupor, he accidentally spent the bulk of his winnings on 8 very fine french wines, a case to carry them in, and a cmobination plane/train ticket from Paris to the reaches of Canada.

Having completed the plane leg of the journey, he now finds himself on the Canadian Express.

Didn't get to this tonight, I'll have the opening post and schedule in the morning.

Opening post up now:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109262507

So basically I'll respond to posts in the evening around 6-8pm. This might take the form of individual responses or a single response to a group of people doing the same thing or in the same area. I'll probably do at max between 1-3 responses per person a day, so that the game doesn't move too fast.

Of course if your characters are talking to each other there's no need to wait for me.

If you haven't played an RPG before, most of my posts will consist of dialogue for non-player characters and saying what happens when you do something, i.e. open a door to a new room, etc. Don't worry about it too much, it'll become naturally quickly.

I should say go whenever you want and post whenever you want, those are just the times I'll respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I don't know what to do lol

Waiting for somebody else to post so I know how to do it

• Advertisement

I was waiting for someone to post as I have no idea what I’m meant to say either. Your post is a great help, chancer :D

Advertisement