Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy 2 falls down 110 metre well in Malaga

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Had the child been left alone in it's bedroom for 9 days with no food or water it would be dead by now.
    100m down a well barely big enough to fit in, with no food, water and most likely starved of oxygen, the unfortunate truth is that the child probably died within a day or two at most.

Probably a lot less if he's stuck upside down, the heart is not designed to work against gravity when pumping the blood around the body. Never mind any injuries, lack of oxygen etc.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

This kid has been dead since sunday last week, it's tragic and all but this won't make a difference to the final outcome.

You are well named. If not appreciated in your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭PCros

Just got to keep on hoping I guess...there's been crazier things with people pulled from rubble after earthquakes etc.

Julen.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Probably a lot less if he's stuck upside down, the heart is not designed to work against gravity when pumping the blood around the body. Never mind any injuries, lack of oxygen etc.

I was told today it was feet first he went in, I don't know if there are cavities further down where his position could have changed. If upside down then worse again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This kid has been dead since sunday last week, it's tragic and all but this won't make a difference to the final outcome.

Careful now, you'll get hopped on by the 'thoughts and prayers' brigade.
    MarkR wrote: »
    You are well named. If not appreciated in your time.

Well that didn't take long.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You would have to wonder at this stage, is the effort involved in such a dangerous and expensive recovery operation even justified anymore. The chances of rescue are pretty much nil. Meanwhile many more people are being put at high risk of great harm or even death by going down the hole.

You might think it cold, but the same applies to lost bodies at sea as a result of ships sinking or planes ditching. There is a practical and cost limit on how far it is reasonable to go to recover a body, especially in dangerous circumstances. You could well end up with more people or bodies trapped underground if you persist with such risky business. And in the case of ships, planes, there are many many bodies, which makes the cost-benefit balance more favourable towards continuing a recovery operation longer. With only one body, there is a less favourable balance.

With the Chilean miners it was worthwhile for several reasons. There were many people down there, they were known to be alive and in fairly good shape. The chances of success were relatively high. However in this case, there is one person and there is nothing telling us they are alive. In fact, all the signs point towards the opposite.

Miscalculations can happen, especially when everything is being done in a hurry as there is not the luxury of time to check and recheck things several times. Drills don't always drill straight. Hard strata or obstructions can make the drill go off course.

In the Chilean mine, the lads were relatively safe once the pilot hole was opened which facilitated communication and supplying them with essentials while the main rescue tunnel was opened. Completely different situations when you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I remember reading a story about a cave explorer in Utah who died in such a manner.

He became wedged upside down through a crack and could extract himself. Rescue teams got to him within a couple of hrs but could not release him in time. He died about 30 hrs after getting stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

You would have to wonder at this stage, is the effort involved in such a dangerous and expensive recovery operation even justified anymore. The chances of rescue are pretty much nil. Meanwhile many more people are being put at high risk of great harm or even death by going down the hole.

You might think it cold, but the same applies to lost bodies at sea as a result of ships sinking or planes ditching. There is a practical and cost limit on how far it is reasonable to go to recover a body, especially in dangerous circumstances. You could well end up with more bodies in the ground if you persist with such risky business.

Miscalculations can happen, especially when everything is being done in a hurry as there is not the luxury of time to check and recheck things several times. Drills don't always drill straight. Hard strata or obstructions can make the drill go off course.

I’d wonder that too. Somebody else could get wedged in down there.

Careful now, you'll get hopped on by the 'thoughts and prayers' brigade.

Nah, its just called decency.

You would want your loved one's body back too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

PCros wrote: »

For me, it would depend. If retrieving the body came at the risk of taking another human life, I would say leave it be. At least you’d know where the body was. It’s like bodies being left on Everest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

They'll probably want the body anyways to do a post mortem, to check for example that he wasn't dead before going down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,387 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

PCros wrote: »

The post I quoted did not suggest leaving the body down there.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,528 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

You might think it cold, but the same applies to lost bodies at sea as a result of ships sinking or planes ditching. There is a practical and cost limit on how far it is reasonable to go to recover a body, especially in dangerous circumstances. You could well end up with more people or bodies trapped underground if you persist with such risky business. And in the case of ships, planes, there are many many bodies, which makes the cost-benefit balance more favourable towards continuing a recovery operation longer. With only one body, there is a less favourable balance.

With the Chilean miners it was worthwhile for several reasons. There were many people down there, they were known to be alive and in fairly good shape. The chances of success were relatively high. However in this case, there is one person and there is nothing telling us they are alive. In fact, all the signs point towards the opposite.

In the Chilean mine, the lads were relatively safe once the pilot hole was opened which facilitated communication and supplying them with essentials while the main rescue tunnel was opened. Completely different situations when you look at it.

I’ll be shot for saying this but a PM will be required to decide if he was dead or alive before entering the hole :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭rn

The poor rescuers are having no luck. They are operating under serious time pressure. I'd like to think they are drilling as fast as they can, safely. Obviously there are risks, but I think the professional miners are mitigating those.

It's been a recovery for a while. I think the big factor is here is that it's someones baby child. He needs to be returned to his parents, if at all possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭Spannerplank

Have you thought to call up the rescuers and provide them with the proof you have of the child's death and to tell them to take their time?

While the chances of this child being alive are a snowball in hell, I have no respect for people who state as fact that which has not been irrefutably established as fact. They are the kind of people who are susceptible to formulating a view based on hunches and conjecture and even insist that trying to prove a negative is valid given this lack of evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Have you thought to call up the rescuers and provide them with the proof you have of the child's death and to tell them to take their time?

While the chances of this child being alive are a snowball in hell, I have no respect for people who state as fact that which has not been irrefutably established as fact. They are the kind of people who are susceptible to formulating a view based on hunches and conjecture and even insist that trying to prove a negative is valid given this lack of evidence.

Blind faith is ridiculous at this stage. It’s been almost 9 days. It’s a recovery mission now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Jessica McClure was rescued after two and a third days, but over nine days without hydration for such a little body, it doesn't look good. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Once the body is upside down for any longer than 48 hours it’s up.
    I hope he died on the impact rather than having to suffer for those 9 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Horror film writers couldn't put images like these in your head

Have to stop reading this

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

_Brian wrote: »
    I’ll be shot for saying this but a PM will be required to decide if he was dead or alive before entering the hole :(

That was my thought too :( horrible and all as it is to consider. I'd say the chances of the poor little guy being alive at this stage are virtually non-existent. Especially when you consider they now have to dig another hole. His poor family, they must be in hell right now. Life can be so cruel. I'm watching my two little ones playing on the floor in front of me and if something like that happened to them, I honestly couldn't go on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭rn

I was the same for the first 72 hours, but I've gradually come to terms with it. Especially since I, rightly or wrongly, gave up hope for poor wee fellow.

I just hope the brave rescuers are successful. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

My chest tenses and I find it hard to breathe properly when thinking about this story and how horrible it must be to be stuck hundreds of feet below ground in a tube no wider than your shoulders

Everything about this story is so horrible youd nearly think its not real

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I think the best we can hope for now is that its all a hoax and the wee fellas fine

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What really sends shivers through me is that I see it unlikely that the child died instantly.
    I hope the parents somewhere find the will to carry on.

Blazer wrote: »
    Once the body is upside down for any longer than 48 hours it’s up.
    I hope he died on the impact rather than having to suffer for those 9 days.

Forgive me if I missed it but where did they say he went head first?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Monkeynut wrote: »
    A thought came into my head, that the parents did something to the child then dropped him in. But that's me over thinking this story too much. I check the news each day for the little fella.

If that was the case they would have just reported him missing. Why make up stories about seeing him fall in etc? Furthermore, if he was reported missing it is most unlikely that anyone would dig down looking for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Monkeynut wrote: »
    A thought came into my head, that the parents did something to the child then dropped him in. But that's me over thinking this story too much. I check the news each day for the little fella.

The fact that the bottom of the shaft is so compacted gives me some hope that its a hoax

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

_Brian wrote: »

It's a strange story and I'd say it could get stranger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

You'd have to wonder how a two year old could fall down a whole that size, he'd almost of had to hop with his feet close together and his hands by his side?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I am just astounded that some of the posters on this thread are real people. Some unbelievable nonsense and weirdness in recent pages.

Advertisement