Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy 2 falls down 110 metre well in Malaga

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭rn

I just hope they can recover him safely. Great to hear the vertical tunnel is ready. A very tricky part ahead. Don't envy those guys but I wish them well. They are heroes to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I know this is tinfoil hat territory but I'm not 100% convinced the kid is actualky in the well.

Time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

Would it not be very very hot at that depth?

Quite the opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭bilbot79

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I know this is tinfoil hat territory but I'm not 100% convinced the kid is actualky in the well.

Time will tell.

They found his hair strands in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Time will tell.

To be honest I'm thinking the only slight chance of a happy ending here is if it's all a hoax.

• Advertisement

He's there alright. There's a slight chance they won't find him for a good while yet. But really hoping for a resolution today for all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

They're due to start the horizontal dig at 11am (Irish time)

2 men at a time in a 1m * 1.2m space
    taking turns in teams of 2
    8 in their group

The miners will dig manually this horizontal gallery of about four meters to connect with the well where Julen is , in what they can use about 24 hours. For this, they will carry, among other materials, a compressed air hammer, axes and wood to fasten (prop up) the tunnel they must drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

frash wrote: »

The miners will dig manually this horizontal gallery of about four meters to connect with the well where Julen is , in what they can use about 24 hours. For this, they will carry, among other materials, a compressed air hammer, axes and wood to fasten (prop up) the tunnel they must drill.

Probably a dumb question (as well as a moot point, sadly), but if Julien is alive won't they risk hurting him by drilling into where he's trapped?

Probably a dumb question (as well as a moot point, sadly), but if Julien is alive won't they risk hurting him by drilling into where he's trapped?

Presume when they get to almost 4m then they'll just go gently or something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭malinheader

Time will tell.

I hope you're right. Would be one hoax I would be thankful for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Does anyone else wonder about digging a 25cm diameter hole and seeing if a 2 year old would fit in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

If this is a hoax then the parents are some sick people and they will be in MAJOR trouble. Look at the expense and trauma they'd be after causing to so many? This rescue will cost probably into the millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Does anyone else wonder about digging a 25cm diameter hole and seeing if a 2 year old would fit in it?

Or maybe we'll just chuck a second toddler down the existing hole. See if it's viable. :rolleyes:

If this is a hoax then the parents are some sick people and they will be in MAJOR trouble. Look at the expense and trauma they'd be after causing to so many? This rescue will cost probably into the millions.

Think with respect we should all just keep our thoughts to ourselves until the outcome is known. Hopefully we will find out very soon. One way or another it's going to be a sad outcome

Or maybe we'll just chuck a second toddler down the existing hole. See if it's viable. :rolleyes:

25cm is not much of a diameter for a dressed two year old to fall down.
    It's a simple curiosity and I'm sure one most have contemplated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭pah

Bob Harris wrote: »
    25cm is not much of a diameter for a dressed two year old to fall down.
    It's a simple curiosity and I'm sure one most have contemplated.

This sizing chart for kids tshirts might help your morbid curiosity.

A 25cm diameter means a circumference of almost 80cm. Those measurements attached are closer to circumferences.

:mad:

A miscalculation forces the tunnel to be excavated again to rescue Julen
    The well will be filled with fine earth and the entire hole will be drilled again to widen it

https://www.lavanguardia.com/sucesos/20190122/454259637671/error-calculo-obliga-ensanchar-tunel-rescate-julen.html

The well will be filled with fine earth and the entire hole will be drilled again to widen it

https://www.lavanguardia.com/sucesos/20190122/454259637671/error-calculo-obliga-ensanchar-tunel-rescate-julen.html

Is this for real

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

FFS!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Could they not make it any bigger?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,873 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Ah for crying out loud :(
    I know mistakes happen but the little glimmer of hope that he might be rescued , not recovered , is getting darker with every update .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

spurious wrote: »
    I suppose they have to keep in mind however slim a chance there is that he is alive, there IS a chance and have to move earth etc. carefully. I remember when they were going after Jessica McClure it took days.
    They could hear her though. This poor little guy hasn't been making any noise that I have seen reported, other than initially. His poor father having heard his screams. How terrible, and to have lost another child already. It doesn't bear thinking about.

I’ve just looked this case up to refresh my memory and she was apparently trapped for 58 hours. So, less than three days. I thought it was longer than that. This case doesn’t compare favourably with that one timewise. :(

I’ve just looked this case up to refresh my memory and she was apparently trapped for 58 hours. So, less than three days. I thought it was longer than that. This case doesn’t compare favourably with that one timewise. :(

Also think she wasn't as deep and if I mind right the shaft in which she went down was lined. There is no excuses for mis calculations on a rescue like this. Time is the one thing that determines success or failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Imagine how the poor parents feel hearing that ? It's horrendous

Also think she wasn't as deep and if I mind right the shaft in which she went down was lined. There is no excuses for mis calculations on a rescue like this. Time is the one thing that determines success or failure.

Elon Musk is surprisingly quiet about this rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭PCros

Whoever came up with the wrong calculations must be in bits now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

PCros wrote: »
    Whoever came up with the wrong calculations must be in bits now.

Apparently the drill was prone to hopping a bit as they were drilling so it didn’t give a completely straight line down. That increased the chances of the rescuers getting stuck down there, or not being able to manoeuvre once down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

This kid has been dead since sunday last week, it's tragic and all but this won't make a difference to the final outcome.

• Advertisement

Had the child been left alone in it's bedroom for 9 days with no food or water it would be dead by now.
    100m down a well barely big enough to fit in, with no food, water and most likely starved of oxygen, the unfortunate truth is that the child probably died within a day or two at most.

Advertisement