Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy 2 falls down 110 metre well in Malaga

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

By reporting 'trapped' in hole it gives the impression of the toddler being alive. It should read 'missing'.

The debris blocking the tunnel which they say could have been dislodged by the toddler. Could the people have heard the child crying through this debris I wonder?
    Going back to early reporting they said the child could be heard crying a while before going silent.
    I would imagine the debris could be the reason the child went silent.

Did they mention was the borehole successful at gathering water? I guess it's lucky enough it has been dry the last week. If there were the floods of a few weeks back it would be terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Apologies but I haven't read the entire thread.

Are they even sure that the kid is down the well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭PCros

Going back to early reporting they said the child could be heard crying a while before going silent.
    I would imagine the debris could be the reason the child went silent.

That's true but the child could have stopped at a certain stage and then if he tried to move he could have fallen further bringing more debris with him.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Apologies but I haven't read the entire thread.

Are they even sure that the kid is down the well?

Well they pulled hair up belonging to the child but yes I suppose that could have been thrown down. Hopefully that is not an outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,876 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Has any food or air been put in hole? If he was there surely they would at least be giving him a fighting chance. Could a small air line and liquid line not have been put into this so called void they think he is in

There is a blockage of debris so they cannot pass this.

On the other side of this blockage there is a pocket that they picked up with some radar and they are hoping this pocket has some air and hopefully water.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

PCros wrote: »

On the other side of this blockage there is a pocket that they picked up with some radar and they are hoping this pocket has some air and hopefully water.

Too much water & a 2.5 year old in the dark wouldn't be ideal

He does need some water though if there's any hope but seeing as it's 8 days now I'm not very optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭rn

The big problem here is the sheer depth and the ground make up. It's very difficult to widen or drill parallel tunnel with heavy equipment in a precise way that would prevent a cave in of the original tunnel. Even tiny small stones falling the length of the well would kill the child. It's very unlikely the poor child was alive for very long, but they still need to be careful trying to get him out.

The other aspect is they have to be careful how they dig to protect the rescuers. No point trapping a load more guys down there.

My heart goes out to parents. And I hope the rescuers get a break soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

People need to be aware that this rescue/recovery operation is not simply drilling another well into the ground. People have to enter down into the new hole, a confined space possibly with water or noxious gasses, and then excavate sideways under hundreds of feet of earth and rock to find the boy. It is no easy task and it is quite dangerous for the rescuers involved who are at a significant risk. Therefore things need to be done safely and be well planned. This takes time.

And being realistic about it the chances of the poor boy being rescued alive are exceedingly small at this stage. At this point knowing well that it is 99.9% likely a body recovery exercise, it would be very foolhardy indeed to charge on ahead with such a risky and dangerous mining operation with such a level of pace and bypassing of usual safety and work planning that could be lived with if it were to rescue a person who was known to be still alive. This is almost certainly not the case. It would be most tragic and wasteful of life for others to end up gravely injured or killed because of misjudged rushing and throwing caution to the wind in a body recovery exercise for which, let's be realistic, there is no longer any real need for urgency about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Could they not have tried sucking him up with some sort of equipment? Surely there is something that could have ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

PCros wrote: »

At that depth I'd be concerned about the air down there not having sufficient oxygen and possibly an excess of methane or carbon dioxide. Even if he were alive at the beginning, there is no ventilation or air circulation down there and any oxygen would be consumed resulting in gradual asphyxiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

At that depth I'd be concerned about the air down there not having sufficient oxygen and possibly an excess of methane or carbon dioxide. Even if he were alive at the beginning, there is no ventilation or air circulation down there and any oxygen would be consumed resulting in gradual asphyxiation.

Would it not be very very hot at that depth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Could they not have tried sucking him up with some sort of equipment? Surely there is something that could have ?

You obviously havent read the thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

You obviously havent read the thread :)

This could make my post even more ridiculous but I actually have

I was thinking some sort of mesh down to where the blockage is and such that up

The debris going up through the mesh leaving the child

Then remove mesh and such child up in a humane way

Obviously my thoughts are very rough but I’m sure could be actioned with precision and delicacy

Oh God, I hope if its bad news that it wasn't slow and that it happened as he was falling, it's the stuff of nightmares, poor little baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭pah

I actually have

You haven't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Kinda reminds me of the Nutty Putty case. If you Google image search "nutty putty john Jones" there's a diagram illustrating the scenario; in this case if rescuers had blindly sucked/pulled him out, chances are he wouldn't have survived the injuries caused by the rescuers. Probably similar concerns here.

Kinda reminds me of the Nutty Putty case. If you Google image search "nutty putty john Jones" there's a diagram illustrating the scenario; in this case if rescuers had blindly sucked/pulled him out, chances are he wouldn't have survived the injuries caused by the rescuers. Probably similar concerns here.

Never understood certain death instead of risking him dying of the injuries. Unless he chose it.

People need to be aware that this rescue/recovery operation is not simply drilling another well into the ground. People have to enter down into the new hole, a confined space possibly with water or noxious gasses, and then excavate sideways under hundreds of feet of earth and rock to find the boy. It is no easy task and it is quite dangerous for the rescuers involved who are at a significant risk. Therefore things need to be done safely and be well planned. This takes time.

Well said.

As the inventor of the capsule that was used in the Chilean miners rescue, and which will now be used to transport miners down in Málaga, said today "keep calm, errors underground carry a heavy price". The space they'll be excavating into will be 1 metre wide by 1.2 long. Tight isn't the word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Oh God, I hope if its bad news that it wasn't slow and that it happened as he was falling, it's the stuff of nightmares, poor little baby.

Can't stop thinking about him.Looking at the video posted of the inside of the hole there would be no space to turn around,never mind lie down, and pitch dark as well.Can't imagine a worse torture.
    God help his poor parents-don't even want to try to imagine what they're going through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I remember reading about that. The stuff of nightmares for all involved :(

Never understood certain death instead of risking him dying of the injuries. Unless he chose it.
    What they would have had to do to get him out would have killed him. It was a no win situation.

I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this has already been answered but why on earth was that well not covered up? I hope the council or whatever the equivalent over there is does a complete survey and puts a cover on any other exposed wells. Such a tragic accident that could've been easily avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if this has already been answered but why on earth was that well not covered up? I hope the council or whatever the equivalent over there is does a complete survey and puts a cover on any other exposed wells. Such a tragic accident that could've been easily avoided.

Was on private land belonging to extended family as I understand it and illegally dug.They were gathering for a picnic I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭rn

It's a tragic accident that could so easily have been prevented. The parents will blame themselves forever, however the negligence is on the part of the land owner and the original drilling company. Frightening to think they left such a deep hole in the ground.

Drilling the vertical tunnel is complete. Seems the composition of the terrain became easier to drill in the last stretch tonight. All told, the drilling took 55 hours to get to this point. An engineer onsite (one of 300 people involved) has stated that, while they would've liked to have reached this point before now, the materials / rocks they encountered had proved to be of "extraordinary difficulty."

They're now looking at 12 hours to prep the tunnel for the capsule and what not, after which time the miners can finally get to work. This elite team is expected to require anything up to 24 hrs to excavate the horizontal gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Let's hope he's out soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

I'm really surprised at how under-reported this story is, at least here in Ireland's media.

The latest update I have seen was on spiegel.de just now and they are reporting that on Monday night it was estimated that there are still 32 hours of digging before they reach Julen.

I have a boy myself of a simailar age and cannot stop thinking about this little guy. I'm really hoping that he's still hanging on in there.

I also can't help but notice the use of apparently/seemingly/presumably in relation to the case, but maybe I am misunderstanding a nuance in the translation.

* I just saw another article saying they are hoping to be there early on Tuesday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I think we all know what the outcome is gonna be..
    We don't want to talk about it because it's so sad and terrible.
    God love the poor parents.

I sneak peak this thread maybe every 36hrs,. Praying and hoping for a miracle....

Advertisement