Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Toulouse - RDS - 12th Jan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

The possession/territory time flatters Toulouse.

They must have spent the best part of ten minutes that time trying to get in during the second half and came away with nothing.

Ten minutes is an 8th of the game or 12%. Even if it wasn't quite ten minutes, if you exclude that portion of the game then Leinster were comfortably high 60s possession and territory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭Serbian

Ultimate Rugby has possession and territory stats broken down by half.

470277.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Leinster had lots of possession, but no incision in the first half. Toulouse had very little ball, but were the only team making linebreaks.
    It was only poor decision making that kept Toulouse out of the tries in the first half.
    Once Toulouse started to tire and Leinster had the wind behind them it was a different game

dub_skav wrote: »
    Leinster had lots of possession, but no incision in the first half. Toulouse had very little ball, but were the only team making linebreaks.
    It was only poor decision making that kept Toulouse out of the tries in the first half.
    Once Toulouse started to tire and Leinster had the wind behind them it was a different game

It should be pointed out that it was very similar against Wasps. Leinster were only 7-3 up going into the 39th minute with a nice last minute try.

Wasps were so battered physically from all the defending that they collapsed in the second half and gave up tries left and right.

The exact same thing happened against Toulouse with a weaker Leinster squad. The only real difference is that Toulouse have enough quality and pride to prevent a complete rout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

RCK1 wrote: »
    Yes they were in the supporters club bar after drinking loads of whiskey and high fiving everybody in the room. Fair play to the Toulouse fans, they were great craic. Look forward to the Ireland/France 6N match. The rds was rocking

Brillant win by Leinster, shows what strength in depth Irish rugby has at the moment. I won't like to be Joe trying to pick a squad for the world cup.

I thought you had to be a season ticket holder or associate member to get into members bar?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I thought you had to be a season ticket holder or associate member to get into members bar?

The supporters club bar is the Laighin

I think you are thinking of the blue room

Stheno wrote: »
    The supporters club bar is the Laighin

I think you are thinking of the blue room

Ah right thanks. Do you know how you can get access to that?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah right thanks. Do you know how you can get access to that!

The Laighin? That's open to everyone.

For the blue room you've to buy a separate ticket

Stheno wrote: »
    The Laighin? That's open to everyone.

For the blue room you've to buy a separate ticket

Sorry Blue Room.. Is this via Leinster app?

Sorry Blue Room.. Is this via Leinster app?

Dunno tbh have never gone

• Advertisement

If you're a season ticket holder you'll get an email before every match inviting you to buy a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭durthacht

I wouldn't say Leinster had no incision in the first half. I think they controlled the game even though they were playing against the conditions, and when playing with the conditions in the second half they then opened up. I thought it was a very mature performance with good decision making and good game management.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

durthacht wrote: »
    I wouldn't say Leinster had no incision in the first half. I think they controlled the game even though they were playing against the conditions, and when playing with the conditions in the second half they then opened up. I thought it was a very mature performance with good decision making and good game management.

After a few poor passes they changed the approach too. Nothing too risky until the 2nd half. Think the intercept in Toulouse prayed on the mind a little

Lads, I'm watching it back again on the telly for the first time.

Every player on the field for both sides is a disgrace to rugby compared to Ringrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Despite Leinster having a lot of ball, Toulouse were well into Leinster territory multiple times in the first half and their forwards were making big yards with their carries. Their maul also had us in real trouble. Their pack were winning the majority of collisions.

It wasn't until the sustained period towards the end of the half when Toulouse started to tire that Leinster really found themselves really on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Whisper it very quietly.

whoosh

You obviously think you know something I don't know. If you've heard from a high that he's in for consideration spit it out! Otherwise I would bet my house on Earls starting ahead of Kearney in the 6 nations.

durthacht wrote: »

We didn't have superior decision making but we managed to hold onto the ball for long periods even if we were going nowhere. We managed to clinch 3 tries in second half and that was literally the difference. We weren't superior to Toulouse just clinical when we got chances.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Heymans wrote: »
    You obviously think you know something I don't know. If you've heard from a high that he's in for consideration spit it out! Otherwise I would bet my house on Earls starting ahead of Kearney in the 6 nations.

Stop digging

You missed the joke

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Stop digging

You missed the joke

If that was a joke he has a strange sense of humour

Buer wrote: »
    Despite Leinster having a lot of ball, Toulouse were well into Leinster territory multiple times in the first half and their forwards were making big yards with their carries. Their maul also had us in real trouble. Their pack were winning the majority of collisions.

It wasn't until the sustained period towards the end of the half when Toulouse started to tire that Leinster really found themselves really on top.

I dunno. I felt like Leinster were treating their 22 as the try line and bar one series of sustained pressure on our actual try line I barely remember Toulouse threatening at all.

I could be wrong, had a lot of distractions going on during the game

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Leinster's stength in depth was very visible yesterday.

Nope, I don't think they even had their first maul until after 30minutes. Their forwards absolutely werent making big yards with their carries and thanks to the stats provided, we can see that you were indeed wrong about everything you posted about the first 30.

Leinster dominated possession and territory the most in the first 30 minutes and Toulouse barely had a look in. It became more competitive after 30mins until around the 60min mark.

Not to take away from their great defending, but you certainly weren't watching the match broadcast on TV yesterday!

I can kind of understand the argument that Toulouse were willing collisions.

Having just watched it back there, I don't think Furlong made a single gain line carry. He was constantly met with multiple bodies. James Ryan was a bit better but not his usual carrying self.

Toulouse were actively targeting them but left gaps elsewhere. Between the two of them, they had 27 carries for 25 metres. Well below their average.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They had a maul which walked us back about 15m in our half. I think that was an attack that ended up with them throwing a forward pass on the Leinster 22.

I don't see how anyone could think the game became more competitive between 30 and 60 which is the period when Leinster actually dominated and scored 3 tries. The only period when the game was competitive was the opening half hour.

Possession is a very misleading stat if it doesn't lead to scores or gains. Munster dominated possession when they lost in the Avvia this season, for example but Leinster were the more dangerous side.

Trolling – (verb), as it relates to internet, is the deliberate act, (by a Troll – noun or adjective), of making random unsolicited and/or controversial comments on various internet forums with the intent to provoke an emotional knee jerk reaction from unsuspecting readers to engage in a fight or argument

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Google sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Nope, I don't think they even had their first maul until after 30minutes. Their forwards absolutely werent making big yards with their carries and thanks to the stats provided, we can see that you were indeed wrong about everything you posted about the first 30.

Leinster dominated possession and territory the most in the first 30 minutes and Toulouse barely had a look in. It became more competitive after 30mins until around the 60min mark.

Not to take away from their great defending, but you certainly weren't watching the match broadcast on TV yesterday!

They must have broadcasted a different match on TV than the one that took place in the RDS anyway! :pac:

They had a maul which walked us back about 15m in our half. I think that was an attack that ended up with them throwing a forward pass on the Leinster 22.

I don't see how anyone could think the game became more competitive between 30 and 60 which is the period when Leinster actually dominated and scored 3 tries. The only period when the game was competitive was the opening half hour.

Possession is a very misleading stat if it doesn't lead to scores or gains. Munster dominated possession when they lost in the Avvia this season, for example but Leinster were the more dangerous side.

They were working incredibly hard but they never quite looked like scoring. They actually looked shook coming off at half time, the intensity took them completely by surprise.

The Munster game was probably a blessing in disguise as we were mentally prepared for those early exchanges.

You are right in that they were much more in the game for that opening 30 but Leinster looked confident in their ability to play the 80 at that tempo and Toulouse were struggling with the pace already by that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,320 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You must be the only person who missed this, not even the most ardent Earls fans came back to argue, that at least should have been a clue.

• Advertisement

Trolling – (verb), as it relates to internet, is the deliberate act, (by a Troll – noun or adjective), of making random unsolicited and/or controversial comments on various internet forums with the intent to provoke an emotional knee jerk reaction from unsuspecting readers to engage in a fight or argument

Yes I would say his post was an attempt at trolling not mine. He stated "whisper it quietly" and then cryptically said "whoosh" to cover his blatant attempt at touting Kearney. He said whisper as an attempt to suggest he knew something which other posters didn't know. If it was a joke it was a very dubious one with intent to suggest he knew something which I don't believe was an accident. Blatant attempt at trolling by "joking" that Kearney was better than Earls. Edit trolling is all how you view a persons motives in posting rubbish

Advertisement