Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster v Toulouse - RDS - 12th Jan

Options

Comments

jacothelad wrote: »
    I think the tackler was very lucky not to be yellow carded for his cynical tackle in the air. It should have been a penalty try but it was a sensational finish.

Challenging players in the air - Law 10.4(i)

Play on – Fair challenge with both players in a realistic position to catch the ball. Even if the player(s) land(s) dangerously, play on

Penalty only – Fair challenge with wrong timing - No pulling down

Yellow card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player is pulled down landing on his back or side

Red card – It’s not a fair challenge with no contest, whilst being a reckless or deliberate foul play action and the player lands in a dangerous position

What makes you think it was a yellow card given the laws? It wasn't a fair challenge and there was no contest, but player wasn't pulled down on to back or side.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,244 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Challenging players in the air - Law 10.4(i)

Play on – Fair challenge with both players in a realistic position to catch the ball. Even if the player(s) land(s) dangerously, play on

Penalty only – Fair challenge with wrong timing - No pulling down

Yellow card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player is pulled down landing on his back or side

Red card – It’s not a fair challenge with no contest, whilst being a reckless or deliberate foul play action and the player lands in a dangerous position

What makes you think it was a yellow card given the laws? It wasn't a fair challenge and there was no contest, but player wasn't pulled down on to back or side.

It wasnt a challenge. Ntamack tackled a player who was airborne. He never challenged for the ball. The law needs to be addressed in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    It wasnt a challenge. Ntamack tackled a player who was airborne. He never challenged for the ball. The law needs to be addressed in that regard

The law already covers that. It's a penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Haven't watched the game back, so I won't post-mortem it, but the first thing I will say is I'm delighted that Adam Byrne and Dave Kearney got decisive tries. Byrne must have had a hard year or so dropping down the pecking, but he's bounced back well and had a solid game today. In the other direction Dave must have felt it with injuries and dropping down the pecking order for various reasons, looking at lads he realistically can't hope to supplant, but he pops up today with a superb take and finish. Kudos to both of them.

Great to see both out and playing

Especially Dave who has had such a horrible run since winning the 6 nations and playing every minute. Without injury his caps for ireland and Leinster would have been huge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

The law already covers that. It's a penalty.

So in this instance since it happened in the act of scoring should it not have been a penalty on halfway after Byrne's conversion?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,228 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

crisco10 wrote: »
    So in this instance since it happened in the act of scoring should it not have been a penalty on halfway after Byrne's conversion?

It could have been, probably should have been.

But in the grand scheme of things, no biggie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

sydthebeat wrote: »
    It could have been, probably should have been.

But in the grand scheme of things, no biggie

I think ref was fine. Just curious on the laws...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

crisco10 wrote: »

The tackle took place in open play. Nothing would usually happen in this situation unless the referee thought the challenge itself it was enough to warrant a yellow card. Which would mean it would need to be a dangerous challenge or it'd need to be seen as particularly cynical.

(I don't think either of those things are true, but I think if DK had failed to stay in and it had gone to TMO, a penalty try would have been a likely outcome)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Apart from the bitter cold in the North (Pole) Stand, I really enjoyed the match.

Leinster playing against a stiff breeze probably kept their score down in H1.

The young guns were fearless and a joy to watch. Imagine they will be defending their title in Glasgow in May

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Spot on about Toulouse being gassed by 60 minutes, Venjur. I've seen people talk about Toulouse being a let down yesterday. Did they have their eyes closed for the first 30 minutes when Toulouse looked far more powerful, were making yards at will and Leinster were just about hanging in there?

After about 50 minutes there was a lineout in the Toulouse 22 and their pack were done. 3 or 4 of them were doubled over, hands on knees and sucking air. They went with a monster pack and if Leinster could withstand their onslaught, the game was there for the taking.

Whilst our forward replacements weren't what they might have been, guys like Porter and Tracy still made a big impact with both winning critical penalties at the breakdown. Toulouse just didn't have it in the tank to shift them.

• Advertisement

lbc2019 wrote: »
    Apart from the bitter cold in the North (Pole) Stand, I really enjoyed the match.

Leinster playing against a stiff breeze probably kept their score down in H1.

The young guns were fearless and a joy to watch. Imagine they will be defending their title in Glasgow in May

Hopefully not as the final is in Newcastle

Buer wrote: »

Whilst our forward replacements weren't what they might have been, guys like Porter and Tracy still made a big impact with both winning critical penalties at the breakdown. Toulouse just didn't have it in the tank to shift them.

Both played well but Porter really stood out when he came on. I'm loathe to call him a super sub, I think he's just a very good tight head. His set piece has been dominant and his loose play is as good as anything we've had bar Furlong.

If Furlong wasn't on the scene there would be a LOT more hype about some of the performances Porter has been putting in.

We are very luck considering where things were a few seasons ago.

Both played well but Porter really stood out when he came on. I'm loathe to call him a super sub, I think he's just a very good tight head. His set piece has been dominant and his loose play is as good as anything we've had bar Furlong.

If Furlong wasn't on the scene there would be a LOT more hype about some of the performances Porter has been putting in.

We are very luck considering where things were a few seasons ago.

Marty Moore and Ross? What was the issue with that a few seasons ago

If Moore was not screwed over by irfu we would have some combo with him and furlong

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭dubal

Haven't watched the game back, so I won't post-mortem it, but the first thing I will say is I'm delighted that Adam Byrne and Dave Kearney got decisive tries. Byrne must have had a hard year or so dropping down the pecking, but he's bounced back well and had a solid game today. In the other direction Dave must have felt it with injuries and dropping down the pecking order for various reasons, looking at lads he realistically can't hope to supplant, but he pops up today with a superb take and finish. Kudos to both of them.

Just looked at the video, the way Byrne walked through the fullback to set up the first try was impressive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

I'd be very worried about d kearney weaseling his way back into the team after that try. Schmidt must resist the temptation and not give in to outside pressure (d kearney hype machine)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭dubal

I'd be very worried about d kearney weaseling his way back into the team after that try. Schmidt must resist the temptation and not give in to outside pressure (d kearney hype machine)

He ran some great lines today as well. He had a good game.

Earls will be looking over his shoulder after that Dave Kearney performance, very similar players with Dave winning out in the physicality and speed stakes.

If Ross Byrne gets the nod over Carbery I could see Joe going with a superior aerial athlete like Dave to open up try scoring opportunities from accurate fielding.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Earls will be looking over his shoulder after that Dave Kearney performance, very similar players with Dave winning out in the physicality and speed stakes.

If Ross Byrne gets the nod over Carbery I could see Joe going with a superior aerial athlete like Dave to open up try scoring opportunities from accurate fielding.

I’d say there are people around absolutely killled trying to not reply to this.

I'll be the first to congratulate d kearney on his wonder try but every weasel has his day. I bet his body is covered in fur and he has little weasel toes inside his boots. Nasty boy. He should never be allowed to put on a green jersey ahead of earls or conway.

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That’s enough weasel talk.

• Advertisement

He has terrible tusks, and terrible claws, and terrible teeth in his terrible jaws. He has knobbly knees and turned-out toes, and a poisonous wart at the end of his nose. His eyes are orange, his tongue is black and he has purple prickles all over his back. Oh help! Oh no! It's....Kearno!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

If he's superior speed and physicality and aerially then why isn't he getting picked ahead of Earls? Don't tell me its been injuries.

Kearney has to get a good few of those performances under his belt before getting into the picture. Besides he didn't do anything brilliant aside from the catch - very quiet game

Politics. All politics.

Spot on about Toulouse being gassed by 60 minutes, Venjur. I've seen people talk about Toulouse being a let down yesterday. Did they have their eyes closed for the first 30 minutes when Toulouse looked far more powerful, were making yards at will and Leinster were just about hanging in there?

Unfortunately I can't find the stats, but for the first 30 minutes Toulouse didn't look far more powerful and weren't making yards at will. The first 30 minutes was Leinster uselessly battering against Toulouse, mostly in their half, with zero reffing at the ruck. Toulouse barely looked a threat outside one good scrum.

What you saw in no way meshes with what I saw and I guess until the stats are published, that's it.

Heymans wrote: »
    Kearney has to get a good few of those performances under his pelt before getting into the picture.

Fixed that for you.

Heymans wrote: »
    If he's superior speed and physicality and aerially then why isn't he getting picked ahead of Earls? Don't tell me its been injuries.

Kearney has to get a good few of those performances under his belt before getting into the picture. Besides he didn't do anything brilliant aside from the catch - very quiet game

Whisper it very quietly.

whoosh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

After about 50 minutes there was a lineout in the Toulouse 22 and their pack were done. 3 or 4 of them were doubled over, hands on knees and sucking air. They went with a monster pack and if Leinster could withstand their onslaught, the game was there for the taking.

I'm not sure what you were watching to think that about the first 30 minutes to be honest! Leinster had well over 70% possession and territory and were dominating the game, just not getting on the scoreboard. That's exactly why Toulouse were gassed after 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

salmocab wrote: »
    I’d say there are people around absolutely killled trying to not reply to this.

I see one didn’t even try

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Unfortunately I can't find the stats, but for the first 30 minutes Toulouse didn't look far more powerful and weren't making yards at will. The first 30 minutes was Leinster uselessly battering against Toulouse, mostly in their half, with zero reffing at the ruck. Toulouse barely looked a threat outside one good scrum.

What you saw in no way meshes with what I saw and I guess until the stats are published, that's it.

Yeah agreed. Leinster dominated that entire match. Think it was 70% possession in the first half and probably wasn't far off that in territory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,337 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah agreed. Leinster dominated that entire match. Think it was 70% possession in the first half and probably wasn't far off that in territory.
    There are stats on the EPCR website, although they don't give the first half/second half breakdown. Leinster had 59% territory and 55% possession in the match.

Biggest tackle counts were in the forwards (obviously), although Ross Byrne, ROL and Ringrose had 10, 9, 10 respectively. Jack Conan had 14, JvdF 12, Ruddock 15 (although missed 6 :eek:), Fardy 14 and Ryan 16. The real eyebrow raiser though were the replacements. Ed Byrne and Andrew Porter had 11 each in 20 minutes and James Tracy had 9. They missed 2 between the three of them. :cool:

Advertisement