Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Paul is clearly feeling forced to work so much. If he didn't do it, the guilt would be eating at him. I can see the problem he faces. The reason he doesn't feel guilt with the wife is most likely because he always did that, like it wasn't as if he had a balanced life before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Marengo

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Paul is clearly feeling forced to work so much. If he didn't do it, the guilt would be eating at him. I can see the problem he faces. The reason he doesn't feel guilt with the wife is most likely because he always did that, like it wasn't as if he had a balanced life before.

Paul and Aggie would have been a far better couple for entertainment:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anthonylfc wrote: »
    Carl Henry said on one of their leaders as she lost 2 lbs

you gained 4lbs of muscle this week so thats why its not showing a bigger loss

it is PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to gain that

Based on all of this, here's how fast you can expect to build muscle on average: Average Natural MAN: between 0.25 and 0.5 pounds of muscle per week (or about 1-2 pounds of muscle gained per month). Average Natural WOMAN: between 0.12 – 0.25 pounds of muscle per week (or about 0.5-1 pound of muscle gained per month)

so how is he allowed to spout that bullcrap when he is on national tv

There are bodybuilders on courses of test/hgh that could only hope to gain 3lbs of muscle in a week :D Such nonsense they expect people to believe.

Every time some of them miss a target the "experts" have an excuse, waiting for the week that some of the men have their period and don't lose anything.

For all OT's faults it's positives outweigh the negatives.

It promotes healthy eating, exercise and a healthy lifestyle in general to a large viewership. It has resulted in clubs and organisations all over the country embracing exercise and weight loss programmes, couch to 5K etc for all ages. National and secondary schools have also become involved in activities connected with the programme.

It's easy to laugh at Eddie's psychobabble, some misinformation from Karl, KT's whopping and hollering but in the overall context they're not major flaws.

The show highlights mental health issues and the varied issues in life we all face that can bring us down and lead to unhealthy living. Over all the series, and often within one year we can identify an individual who's personal situation broadly represents our own.

Ok the formula might be a little jaded and need tweaking but the programme is far from being in the bottom half of RTE productions.

You have certain families with a monopoly on cookery programmes, one architect who seems to have a lifelong contract on all programmes relating to building and renovation, 2 sub standard chat shows on Friday and Saturday nights where RTE staff are generally the interviewees, repetitive current affairs programmes etc. DWTS is fine on it's own but too many repeats, a Friday behind the scenes show, all participants interviewed ad nauseum on aforementioned chat shows. Grossly over paid hosts. At least, in general, OT is about ordinary individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Good post Marengo, I'd agree with you that in general there are more positives than negatives about OT. It is a very good use of public broadcasting to get a message across to the population at large about health and well being and to show people who have weight problems that it can be beaten.

The only concern Id have is how does it go for the participants after the show? Its the bit we dont really tend to see or hear about. Many of these people suffer low self esteem and I wonder how the show might effect them psychologically in the long term. You could have people from a few years back and they do the show,lose a couple of stone whilst being the talk of the town. Then when its over they fall off the wagon and re-gain the weight. Their weight problem now is no longer a personal issue but also public one because they have aired it on national tv and the whole community was out for walks with them for the cameras. Maybe Im wrong but I could see scenarios where people who fall off the wagon go deeper into a weight gain spiral because they are embarrassed and feel others are talking about them.

The principle of OT is great and everything. But you'd just wonder when the cameras leave town things might get worse for some of the participants. Its their choice to go public in the first place but I'd doubt any of them really understand the potentual drawbacks further down the road.

Just as an asiide to this it goes the same for anyone participating in any kind of reality tv. I knew a lad who did the Apprentice with Bill Cullen over 10 years ago. He got far but didnt win it but was involved in some controversial moments. As a result he regrets ever doing it as he's now got a face the public have never forgotten. In pubs he gets looks, on the train the same, people stare at him for 20 seconds while checking their mental memory if its yer man from the Apprentice or not. His appearance comes up in job interviews, even the guy who installed insulation in his house recognised him from the show and had comments to make. He's had that for 10+ years now and said if he knew then what he knows now he would never have done the show in the first place.

There's a lot to be said about privacy, having national attention on you isn't all its cracked up to be and when the 15 minutes is over and when the cameras roll out of town you can still face a lifetime of recognition and comments when inside you just want to forget the whole thing ever happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭prunudo

Poor chap, the embarrassment of being associated with Bill Cullen must be horrific.

The follow up has always been poor alright. What support do the individuals receive after..

If I'm being really honest I don't know why you'd go on the show. You're already in bother but having your home community and the nation knowing your intimate feelings etc is too much added pressure! I suppose everyone is different and it's the kickstart some need.

I'd feel very 'naked' in every sense walking to that scales. Having a tummy out etc and being hugged by KT, fit as a fiddle. The optics actually make you look in worse shape than you are on occassion!

Is it courageous, yes in many cases, are some just a bit on the drama queen side and love the attention..yes I think with some, lesser than the former.

I'd never appear at public running, cycling training if I felt out of shape. I'd have done a lot on my own before I'd feel 'presentable'.. just the way I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

When they do show a leader from a previous year I'm always disappointed that they are still quite heavy. It would be more inspiring to see someone who had gone on to reach a healthy BMI and a healthy lifestyle. I suppose they would have a better chance if they got the support and follow up needed.

happyday wrote: »
    When they do show a leader from a previous year I'm always disappointed that they are still quite heavy. It would be more inspiring to see someone who had gone on to reach a healthy BMI and a healthy lifestyle. I suppose they would have a better chance if they got the support and follow up needed.

Very true. Saw one girl out of about 10 participants who was in proper nick, 2-3 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

From last year.
    Davy
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BtqWFAoHAgTfwrx-9NpQdXt9RcP-voKbWNpjbE0/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=10xbthhjdmb1e
    Felicity
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BtJjm_VHMh-/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=9wh00a13ra8z
    Felicity I'm particularly impressed with because I didn't think she did that great on the show itself, but fair play to her she seems to have stuck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I hate Dave McIntyre commenting...."That's BRILLIANTY executed"

Hate his style of commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Did anyone else go and get weighed on Thursday to find out their metabolic age as part of a promotion in pharmacies in conjunction with Tanita and OT?

I went with a friend to get mine done. I'm overweight, bordering on obese and whilst my weight, body fat percentage and BMI were all around what I knew them to be, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my visercal fat was 8.5% and my metabolic age was 5 years younger than my real age. I was expecting both to be much, MUCH higher as I am admittedly very unhealthy and don't do any exercise. I'm all flab and no muscle.

My friend on the other hand would have been an athlete some years back and is still in very good physical shape, extremely muscular and lean. His body fat and visercal fat were very low. Body fat around 10% and visercal fat just 2.9% yet his metabolic age was approx 20 years more than his real age?!

We couldn't make head nor tail of it.

So are these readings a load of bollix not to be taking to seriously or is there any truth or accuracy in them?

TLDR: I'm a fat, lazy, unhealthy slob who doesn't exercise and get a metabolic age 5 years my junior. Friend is a former athlete in good all round shape, lean and muscular and gets a metabolic age nearly 20 years his senior.

Moyglish wrote: »
    Did anyone else go and get weighed on Thursday to find out their metabolic age as part of a promotion in pharmacies in conjunction with Tanita and OT?

I went with a friend to get mine done. I'm overweight, bordering on obese and whilst my weight, body fat percentage and BMI were all around what I knew them to be, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my visercal fat was 8.5% and my metabolic age was 5 years younger than my real age. I was expecting both to be much, MUCH higher as I am admittedly very unhealthy and don't do any exercise. I'm all flab and no muscle.

My friend on the other hand would have been an athlete some years back and is still in very good physical shape, extremely muscular and lean. His body fat and visercal fat were very low. Body fat around 10% and visercal fat just 2.9% yet his metabolic age was approx 20 years more than his real age?!

We couldn't make head nor tail of it.

So are these readings a load of bollix not to be taking to seriously or is there any truth or accuracy in them?

TLDR: I'm a fat, lazy, unhealthy slob who doesn't exercise and get a metabolic age 5 years my junior. Friend is a former athlete in good all round shape, lean and muscular and gets a metabolic age nearly 20 years his senior.

That doesn't make any sense. It really makes me doubt it.

I did it myself and I got 7 years younger than my age, body fat 33.5%, visceral fat 7.2%. I can't understand how they work it out. I just stood on a scales in my bare feet.

flazio wrote: »
    From last year.
    Davy
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BtqWFAoHAgTfwrx-9NpQdXt9RcP-voKbWNpjbE0/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=10xbthhjdmb1e
    Felicity
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BtJjm_VHMh-/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=9wh00a13ra8z
    Felicity I'm particularly impressed with because I didn't think she did that great on the show itself, but fair play to her she seems to have stuck with it.

Felicity looks amazing and lighter than 13 stone. She will get there yet I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Continuity announcer on rte1 just said one leader leaving tomorrow night but no hint of who it is ? Who do ye think it is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

westgolf wrote: »
    Continuity announcer on rte1 just said one leader leaving tomorrow night but no hint of who it is ? Who do ye think it is ?

Heard that too, think she meant the Dancing Prog

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Paul or Cathal?
    Can't see it being one of the girls.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

westgolf wrote: »

Is tomorrow night not the last episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

No, at least one more after tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Paul or Cathal?
    Can't see it being one of the girls.

Paul I'd say - Cathal & Agi seem to be on track again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

Hope they are okay anyway, whichever of them it is.
    I seem to remember a leader having to leave previously due to health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It’s on their Facebook page now. I really hope it’s not Cathal, he needs it more than anyone.

Wonder is he girl from limerick pregnant or something like that?

I don’t think it’s Cathal. I see he was doing a talk in Letterkenny IT. I doubt he’d be doing that if he was leaving it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭prunudo

Who ever it is I hope they're okay. No doubt the producers and experts will put the pressure on saying you're letting down your followers blah blah blah. But they owe the show and nation nothing. Yes they signed up to a reality show but if they are unhappy and want to quit thats nobody else's business but theirs.
    No1 thing is they are okay in their own head and don't let the pressures of doing the show get them down.

Paul I'd say - Cathal & Agi seem to be on track again

It might be a health related issue given Cathal's weight more than any trouble the couple are having between themselves or with the show.

Hope not.

Yes one man had some sort of injury a few years back and couldn't complete the show.

Marengo wrote: »
    It might be a health related issue given Cathal's weight more than any trouble the couple are having between themselves or with the show.

Hope not.

Yes one man had some sort of injury a few years back and couldn't complete the show.

He’s going to have to lose weight otherwise he’s going to die early. What better way than a fully monitored and supported program like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’m thinking it could be Paul, he was on the brink last week. He’s really feeling the pressure. Whoever it is hopefully it’s not due to something serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

I wouldn't be surprised if it's the one from cork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

I hope they are okay. I wouldn't do what they are doing, in a million years so I say fair dues.
    It's not alone the weigh in, but having cameras in your home, and talking about very personal stuff.
    I couldn't.

Advertisement