Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Times Ireland/Sunday Times Ireland

Options

Comments

Beagslife wrote: »
    How would regular users rate this subscription where they are using it as their primary source for Irish news? 
    With the proposed takeover of INM and the ongoing move towards paywalls are you happy with TTI/TSTI?

for €5 a month for 7 days it's good value.

not sure how long that deal will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

How would regular users rate this subscription where they are using it as their primary source for Irish news?
    With the proposed takeover of INM and the ongoing move towards paywalls are you happy with TTI/TSTI?

I find the quality of journalism to be high. Haven't noticed any sensationalism and they cover a wide range of issues. I'd definitely recommend giving it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at just how much value I'm getting from it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The quality if very good. The editorial line is quite different to The Times in UK too, which is very odd, but in a good way I think.

It can be a little hard to find big, non-Irish stories immediately (the site and the app lump all the Irish news first and then everything else comes later, ideally it would be blended in together as needed). For the €5, well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Primary news source for me, + additional benefit of all the supplements.. I’d like more Irish content, but quality of world news and analysis/ commentary is very high and relativelybalanced. There are a few columnists i don’t like, so just skip them. Sports coverage and writing is super. Features, music, film, tv (mostly, see previous requests) and book reviews are all excellent.

App version of the paper is much easier to use and navigate.

Still getting occasional crashes, even after reinstalling (which wiped out out all my saved articles by the way) but overall it’s excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

Excellent value for €5 a month and works very well with the iPad. Quantity and quality of Irish news is decent and it is interesting to get the UK perspective on Brexit-related topics also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

I enjoy it immensely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭Glebee

I find it great. Sunday Times is around 3 euro for the paper addition on its own so 5 euro for a months worth of news is excellent value. I use it mainly for the Saturday and Sunday editions which I really like.

It also has free ebooks and audio books every month that I have actually used.

The tablet application is great as its the same layout as the actual paper.

Not so fond of the phone app or the PC version as its not in paper format.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GiftGrub100

It was good value at €13 per month at €5 per month with a kindle book, audio book and movie rental thrown in, it’s phenomenal value.

We put so little value on newspapers these days with journal, social media etc it’s much better to read actual news and as mentioned the editorial slant on the The Times is slightly different from UK version.

Combine this with Irish Times at 16 per month, two great daily papers for 21 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

I have an Irish Times subscription so was tentative about signing up for The Times.

The quality of the journalism is exceptionally high - noticeably better than the Irish Times. Their investigation work (such as the FAI payments) is to be commended too. There's not enough material for me to give up my IT subscription but I'm delighted to have The Times for quality journalism at a very reasonable price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

It was good value at €13 per month at €5 per month with a kindle book, audio book and movie rental thrown in, it’s phenomenal value.

We put so little value on newspapers these days with journal, social media etc it’s much better to read actual news and as mentioned the editorial slant on the The Times is slightly different from UK version.

Combine this with Irish Times at 16 per month, two great daily papers for 21 per month

I didn't know that there was so many extras with it, well worth a subscription.

Would anyone know if the win club works in Ireland too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The current 16e IT offer (1e for first month) includes a year of the New York Times (after first month) <--app and .com site no NYT epaper

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Seems like this works off Google play credit. Will resub when my month is up next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

sweetie wrote: »
    Seems like this works off Google play credit. Will resub when my month is up next week.

Where do you see the Google play credit option?
    I don't see it.

Where do you see the Google play credit option?
    I don't see it.

I've an active sub until 13th May so I signed out of the app, clicked into start your free trial and G pay with my mobile no. is the default option.

I've an active sub until 13th May so I signed out of the app, clicked into start your free trial and G pay with my mobile no. is the default option.

Thanks, I too have an active sub, but only see PayPal or Card options when I go to change billing information.

Thanks, I too have an active sub, but only see PayPal or Card options when I go to change billing information.

You need to do it through your phone on the app.

You need to do it through your phone on the app.

I did. Maybe that option is only there for New sign ups?

I did. Maybe that option is only there for New sign ups?

yeah, that's why I signed out of the app. I had cancelled my sub but will sub back next week using credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Glebee wrote: »
    I find it great. Sunday Times is around 3 euro for the paper addition on its own so 5 euro for a months worth of news is excellent value. I use it mainly for the Saturday and Sunday editions which I really like.

It also has free ebooks and audio books every month that I have actually used.

The tablet application is great as its the same layout as the actual paper.

Not so fond of the phone app or the PC version as its not in paper format.
    If you could use the tablet app on the phone I would subscribe to this in a heartbeat, I hate the phone app.
    With the size and specs of phones nowadays, tablet apps should be allowed to be used on phones.
    My phone has 4 times the specs of my tablet. I rarely carry my tablet with me.
    Please allow us the tablet layout on phone..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

To use vouchers you need to log in to Rakuten website and redeem points, they go onto your account, and then you can order using voucher points, if you use tv app only you cannot use them.

So pick film - eg this week Crazy Rich Asians, select rent in HD 499 points, so if only subscription from this month not enough, pick say Spitfire which is 399 points and select rent, if you are on website you should see the option of using your points, rent film and you have 48 hours to watch on any device.

So rent and select from logging into website
    Watch on built in tv app or iPad app as long as all signed in with same account details.

On tv app on Panasonic TVs, go to library and the film you rented is there for 48 hours and can be watched more than once.

Not exactly Simples but once you realize you cannot use Points to rent from app and must log into Rakuten.ie it becomes easy, you can also use credit card to pay for films also.

If you skip a monthly view, your points carry over so if you redeem two months points but don’t watch, you have 800 on the account and so on, points can last up to four months.

Sorry to drag up an old topic, but do you need to use a UK Rakuten account? I've an Irish account and it says the voucher can't be redeemed in this country when I try.

• Advertisement

onform wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old topic, but do you need to use a UK Rakuten account? I've an Irish account and it says the voucher can't be redeemed in this country when I try.

No should only need to set up account at

https://rakuten.tv/ie/

You do need to add payment details as well I think (memory not as good as it was)

Redeem voucher every month from Times +

Points roll over if not used.

Go to

To select film and use points not money to pay.

Once done, you can watch through app on tablet/Tv or website, great value way to watch rentals and normally slightly cheaper than SKY.

No should only need to set up account at

You do need to add payment details as well I think (memory not as good as it was)

Redeem voucher every month from Times +

Points roll over if not used.

Go to

To select film and use points not money to pay.

Once done, you can watch through app on tablet/Tv or website, great value way to watch rentals and normally slightly cheaper than SKY.

Thanks, tried to add a payment method (PayPal) but still can't redeem the voucher, says it can't be used in this country. I might just try create a new Rakuten account and see if that works.

Cool, I remember it’s not as user friendly as it should be.

When clicking from

https://www.timesmembership.com/ie/offers/complimentary-film-rentals-each-month-with-times-films

Click redeem

Copy code

Click redeem again

That will bring you to

https://rakuten.tv/ie/points/welcome

After that should be ok

Cool, I remember it’s not as user friendly as it should be.

When clicking from

https://www.timesmembership.com/ie/offers/complimentary-film-rentals-each-month-with-times-films

Click redeem

Copy code

Click redeem again

That will bring you to

https://rakuten.tv/ie/points/welcome

After that should be ok

Thanks a lot, that did the trick. 400 points bagged. The link I had was the UK version of Times plus, hence the error I was getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Anyone know if there are any deals available still with TheTimes Ireland edition?

I have been a member of the Uk one for many years, I originally joined the crossword club for €30 p.a, then they forced people to subscribe to the main paper a few years back @€;10pm and now I see they have doubled the sub to €21 per month.
    Feeling shafted big time, I have never once read the paper in all that time, no disrespect am sure it’s a fine publication I just don’t read newspapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

Anyone know if there are any deals available still with TheTimes Ireland edition?

I have been a member of the Uk one for many years, I originally joined the crossword club for €30 p.a, then they forced people to subscribe to the main paper a few years back @€;10pm and now I see they have doubled the sub to €21 per month.
    Feeling shafted big time, I have never once read the paper in all that time, no disrespect am sure it’s a fine publication I just don’t read newspapers.

The current offer is first month free, then €5 per month thereafter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

shocksy wrote: »

Wow- will cancel the Uk one so And sign up for that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

shocksy wrote: »

Wow- will cancel the Uk one so And sign up for that

Did you not read the very first post on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 caiconafita

You can pay only €2.50 for the next 3 months.

Just to let you subscribers know that I have just called them to cancell my subscription and they offered me to pay €2.50 a month of the next 3 months.
    The phone number is 015360818
    Good luck.

• Advertisement

I re-signed up with payment coming from my three phone credit.

Advertisement