Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Times Ireland/Sunday Times Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

ablelocks wrote: »
    they are - but its only the listings of what's on (in a similar format to an epg that you'd see on your tv)

What's missing from the Sunday Times Culture supplement on the epaper are the reviews, previews and critics choices combined with listings for each day of the upcoming week. These are all available in the physical supplement that comes with the newspaper and as i said above, includes recommendations from Irish channels.

It's actually an excellent feature of the physical supplement in that it allows you to identify programmes of interest so that you can set recording in advance.

It should be included in the epaper supplement.

I signed up last year but to the International version I do get those previews and critics choices. But the Irish news section is way way smaller and obviously doesn't include the irish critics or irish shows/tv/theatre/concerts. I was going to switch to this to get the Irish news but this is making me reconsider.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The weekend editions aren't too bad when it comes to Irish content, but the weekly edition is pretty small, and a subsection within the main paper. But that reflects the print edition I suppose. I would like to see the Culture etc on a Sunday tailored more to Ireland as the print version is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

ablelocks wrote: »
    Birneybau wrote: »
    I thought the t.v. listings were on the app, but only if you're online. Used to be anyway

they are - but its only the listings of what's on (in a similar format to an epg that you'd see on your tv)

What's missing from the Sunday Times Culture supplement on the epaper are the reviews, previews and critics choices combined with listings for each day of the upcoming week. These are all available in the physical supplement that comes with the newspaper and as i said above, includes recommendations from Irish channels.

It's actually an excellent feature of the physical supplement in that it allows you to identify programmes of interest so that you can set recording in advance.

It should be included in the epaper supplement.
    Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭stdidit

Is there any email address for support with your account or just a phone number?

Edit: never mind, I found it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Is it possible to have the app auto save articles to 'my articles'? Eg Clarkson review, music reviews etc.

And is tech review available in the app?

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    Is it possible to have the app auto save articles to 'my articles'? Eg Clarkson review, music reviews etc.

And is tech review available in the app?
    Favourite star on top to save

Thanks but I mean have same journalists regular article in favs each Sunday automatically.

Thanks but I mean have same journalists regular article in favs each Sunday automatically.
    Sorry bud misinterpreted

• Registered Users Posts: 41 roakleyIRL

padyjoe wrote: »
    I'm not getting a free month, weekly payment already taken, signed up on 25th Jan only. Where's the small print?

Hi - if you are a brand new customer you should be getting a month free - if you call the helpline at thetimes.ie/join they will advise.

Hurrache wrote: »
    The weekend editions aren't too bad when it comes to Irish content, but the weekly edition is pretty small, and a subsection within the main paper. But that reflects the print edition I suppose. I would like to see the Culture etc on a Sunday tailored more to Ireland as the print version is.

Hi the main printed paper contains Ireland news on pages 1 to 12 - we also have Irish comment, Irish business and Irish sport - We then take stories of general interest/world news and other comment from our UK writers and mix these in - but the level of Irish news remains relatively high on most days - the idea is to produce a paper that reflects Ireland and the World - which is why we carry a lot of world news from our correspondents. On issues like Brexit - having a team of reporters in the UK really helps us to provide the best information so we often take Brexit pages from our UK edition into our Irish pages as Irish people want to know how Brexit is developing. The tablet is similar to our print edition, but contains a little more UK news. On the website all the Irish content appears in the Ireland tab at the bottom of the website. This tab is then the front page of the smartphone app. At some stage, hopefully very soon, we will be changing to an Irish website that allows us to mix in the UK material in the same way as we do in print and this will allow us to have a nicer experience on the smartphone. As we continue to build a subscription base in Ireland we will continue to invest in Irish journalism and aiim to do more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ablelocks

roakleyIRL wrote: »
    Hi the main printed paper contains Ireland news on pages 1 to 12 - we also have Irish comment, Irish business and Irish sport - We then take stories of general interest/world news and other comment from our UK writers and mix these in - but the level of Irish news remains relatively high on most days - the idea is to produce a paper that reflects Ireland and the World - which is why we carry a lot of world news from our correspondents. On issues like Brexit - having a team of reporters in the UK really helps us to provide the best information so we often take Brexit pages from our UK edition into our Irish pages as Irish people want to know how Brexit is developing. The tablet is similar to our print edition, but contains a little more UK news. On the website all the Irish content appears in the Ireland tab at the bottom of the website. This tab is then the front page of the smartphone app. At some stage, hopefully very soon, we will be changing to an Irish website that allows us to mix in the UK material in the same way as we do in print and this will allow us to have a nicer experience on the smartphone. As we continue to build a subscription base in Ireland we will continue to invest in Irish journalism and aiim to do more.

Aim to fix Sunday’s culture supplement too!

Tried the app on a tablet, says "
    " your current pack does not give you access to this edition."
    I even deleted the app from my phone but get the same message. Presume it works for people with tablets?

BTW The Times & The Sunday Times app isn't compatible so I installed The Times & Sunday Times News.

I even deleted the app from my phone but get the same message. Presume it works for people with tablets?

BTW The Times & The Sunday Times app isn't compatible so I installed The Times & Sunday Times News.

Hi - this sounds like you have downloaded the wrong apps or the UK version of the apps - when you signed up you should have got an email with the links to the exact apps - if you use those links to download the tablet app to tablet and the smartphone app to smartphone app (there are two separate apps) - failing that you need to search for the The Times and the Sunday Times Ireland in the app store for both phone and tablet app.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭tdow

I got a similar message when i tried to install it on my kindle fire. I am guessing it is not available on kindle.

It works fine on my android devices.

roakleyIRL wrote: »
    Hi - this sounds like you have downloaded the wrong apps or the UK version of the apps - when you signed up you should have got an email with the links to the exact apps - if you use those links to download the tablet app to tablet and the smartphone app to smartphone app (there are two separate apps) - failing that you need to search for the The Times and the Sunday Times Ireland in the app store for both phone and tablet app.

Thanks, that was the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

tdow wrote: »
    I got a similar message when i tried to install it on my kindle fire. I am guessing it is not available on kindle.

It works fine on my android devices.

If you've rooted your kindle fire you will be able to get it on your kindle via google store or through the emalled link.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Fann Linn wrote: »
    If you've rooted your kindle fire you will be able to get it on your kindle via google store or through the emalled link.

You don't need to root it to install Google Play.
    Follow these steps https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/get-google-play-on-fire-tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭tdow

Follow these steps https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/get-google-play-on-fire-tablet

Awesome! Was able to install the app from the play store on the kindle and everything is working great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Thanks for this one OP - Can anyone please confirm where these Odeon codes are released and if you can use these once a week every week? Can't seem to find the correct details - Read something about a code being released every Monday (?) - Is this limited? Do you need to be there waiting to grab one before others use them up?!

I think this looks great - One suggestion I'd make for the App Devs is that a smartphone App really does need to allow the User to zoom in on a photo given the limited amount of screen real estate that they are undoubtedly going to be using.

Also given that there's the previous 6 days available in the App - If you "Favourite" an article does it persist or disappear when the edition it originated from is removed from the listing cycle!?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Thanks. That's what I thought was 'rooting'!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

You log into Times.co.uk and go to the Times+ tab.

The subscription offers are here and you click on the Odeon one. The codes are limited, you click in and you are directed to the Odeon booking system. You book the movie and put the code in the promotions box. You can use the offer on Friday, Saturday and Sunday which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Maybe I'm missing something but is is possible to get TV recommendations like in the paper version of the culture section?

digitaldr wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something but is is possible to get TV recommendations like in the paper version of the culture section?

Thought I had that (on demand recommendations) I in mmy phone;didn't seem to appear in tablet though.

Really love it on a tablet, buying one tomorrow (Galaxy tab or Amazon Fire HD)

digitaldr wrote: »

Not yet - i asked a few pages ago and Richie is working flat out on bringing it to the app.

Aren’t you Richie?!!

Edit : until he succeeds, there is a full 7 day TV preview in the Saturday Review section, but this doesn’t cover Irish channels. (Each days previews are repeated then in the daily Times2 section)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Who watches RTE though and what wiuld you be reviewing.

tretorn wrote: »
    Who watches RTE though and what wiuld you be reviewing.

I do. movies particularly, TV series, both domestic and international. Documentaries that don't appear on british tv. music shows. (and it's not just RTE - TG4 and Virgin sometimes have decent programmes too)

not for reviews - for previews - the critics choice in the culture supplement gives you the heads up on what's worth viewing, that's why the culture supplement is so beneficial - set programme to record on a sunday and watch it later. It's in the paper edition, not in the tablet and there's really no reason why.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Can someone tell me how u cancel this subscription please, i never use it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

torrevieja wrote: »
    Can someone tell me how u cancel this subscription please, i never use it

You have to call them, number is on the site I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

sweetie wrote: »
    You have to call them, number is on the site I think.

From the My account section of site:
    If you wish to change your security and log in details, please do so below. If you'd like to make any changes to your profile, and you can't see a way to do it on this page, please call Customer Services on 015360818 phone on 1800949687.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Beagslife

How would regular users rate this subscription where they are using it as their primary source for Irish news? 
    With the proposed takeover of INM and the ongoing move towards paywalls are you happy with TTI/TSTI?

Advertisement