Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    Essentially that’s why I got it. Our park closes at 5pm. Me and the roads aren’t great here to run on. So the bike will fill the void.

I also have dumbbells which are like gold dust here according to the neighbourhood Facebook group.

Have heard similar. Basically all home fitness equipment is hard to get.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I didnt weigh in last week as I was away camping. My trainer wants me to try and do 1.5kg a week but with the bottle neck with work I have no idea how I will burn that many cals, as I am eating so little it will have to be from more exercise.
    End of week 8:
    Week 1: -2.9kg/6.4lbs
    Week 2: -0.7kg/1.5lbs
    Week 3: -2.1kg/4.6lbs
    Week 4: -1.1kg/2.43lbs
    Week 5: -0.5kg/1.1lbs
    Week 6: - 1.2kg/2.65lbs
    Week 7: Holiday I didn't weigh in.
    Week 8: -1.7kg/3.75lb (over 2 weeks)

Cumulative loss: - 10.2kg/22.49lbs over four weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Have heard similar. Basically all home fitness equipment is hard to get.

If want a laugh, go on to adverts and see the prices some people are charging for basic home exercise equipment!! Crazy stuff.

Had a 10k run and another 10k on the exercise bike earlier this morning and just sitting down now to a coffee after a nice hot shower, absolute bliss. That bad week of treats and beers is starting to be made up for. Had a run and a long walk yesterday and really struggled with the run but feeling much better today, amazing what difference a day can make. Gonna chance a trip over to the range at liffey Valley in a bit. Fingers crossed we don't get stopped as its a couple of k outside the 5k limit!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Tut tut DvB, we wouldnt tell anyone :)

Enjoy the time off mate, sounds like you are putting it to good use already.

• Advertisement

Great to see everyones accomplishments :D

Food wise I'm doing very good, but haven't done a tap other than that :o my work hours were a bit insane last week but should be able to settle into a routine now.

Great to see everyones accomplishments :D

Food wise I'm doing very good, but haven't done a tap other than that :o my work hours were a bit insane last week but should be able to settle into a routine now.

Scratch that, I gave into my cravings at tea time. I'll be back on the wagon tomorrow!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've been a disaster lately, and it's showing on the scales... and my waistband! :pac:

McDonalds on Friday for dinner, Indian food the weekend, and Four Star pizza on the bank holiday Monday.

Weighing in tomorrow is going to be good, but I've had my fun, and that's all that matters. :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I've been a disaster lately, and it's showing on the scales... and my waistband! :pac:

McDonalds on Friday for dinner, Indian food the weekend, and Four Star pizza on the bank holiday Monday.

Weighing in tomorrow is going to be good, but I've had my fun, and that's all that matters. :p

Same here. All over the place with my food and I am 8lbs away from my heaviest weight ever.

Lockdown threw me into a spiral again. But this is the time of the year I like to lose weight so I can gain it again at Christmas. I will definitely be a Christmas pudding this year. :O

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

But this is the time of the year I like to lose weight so I can gain it again at Christmas.
    Me too!
    It is going spectacularly well for me. :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »

Just picturing Brendan Grace in Fr. Ted.

I am happy with the way my loss is going for me but not happy with how tired I am. I have about an hour after the little one goes to bed before I am utterly useless. And most of that hour is either eating my dinner or cleaning up. My OH is a saint. Though she keeps saying I am more energetic than when I was 10kg heavier and boozing. I feel wrecked.

I hurt my shoulder/neck benching a bit too much yesterday, struggled to sleep, I have had a few pins and a plate put in it before so not keen to screw it up completely. Took voltarin and a heat pack. I have to play golf today for/after work, I think I will play a few holes and then sit in the buggy. I also have a dad date with my OH's pals husband this pm which is a 10km run. He's a triathlete so so looking forward to ruining his training. I think I may wear my oldest GAA shorts and a saw doctor's tee shirt.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Just picturing Brendan Grace in Fr. Ted.

I am happy with the way my loss is going for me but not happy with how tired I am. I have about an hour after the little one goes to bed before I am utterly useless. And most of that hour is either eating my dinner or cleaning up. My OH is a saint. Though she keeps saying I am more energetic than when I was 10kg heavier and boozing. I feel wrecked.

I hurt my shoulder/neck benching a bit too much yesterday, struggled to sleep, I have had a few pins and a plate put in it before so not keen to screw it up completely. Took voltarin and a heat pack. I have to play golf today for/after work, I think I will play a few holes and then sit in the buggy. I also have a dad date with my OH's pals husband this pm which is a 10km run. He's a triathlete so so looking forward to ruining his training. I think I may wear my oldest GAA shorts and a saw doctor's tee shirt.

Just got my 10k for today done... thats 3 days in a row and my knees are screaming so think ill take tomorrow off to give my joints a rest. Gas thing is that niggly 4 lbs crept back on last week and won't budge a gram so need to get back to the proper diet or I'm doing all this for nothing.

With you on the tiredness though. Had hurling training with the boys last night and it was one of those nights where 1 or 2 of them were really cheeky and I got really angry when they started talking back, which is not like me with the kids, slept badly last night too and thats despite me feeling shattered, so its definitely affecting my mood.

Have mentioned this before in here. I am very cranky and tired when on a calorie deficit. I try to compensate with extra coffee for the tiredness and flowers for the OH for the crankiness :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

5km do so going to jump on the bike now to do a bit. Earning this week off.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Have mentioned this before in here. I am very cranky and tired when on a calorie deficit. I try to compensate with extra coffee for the tiredness and flowers for the OH for the crankiness :D

I do the same except I give my OH chocolates and sweeties :D

I was weighing my dog earlier and so I weighed myself and was shocked that I was down as it was right after I ate dinner. I'll be doing my proper weigh in tomorrow morning so for once I'm excited to get up on the scales :)

^^ Ditto with me. I tend to brew it up, the little one knows what buttons to push. Like when I say I don't do something and she will look at me and do it in slow motion, she's not even 2. I also have very little patience for when I ask for stuff to be done and people say they will do it and then don't, we have four sliding door at the back of the house, each with a blind. I ask for when you open the blinds they are raised up so I can walk through. When the sun is hitting the outside you can't see. So when I open the door I get clotheslined. Which is funny the first time but three months in, not so much. especially if you drop the lamb chops you were cooking on the bbq. That and having four people in the house, a place for all shoes, and keys, yet three of them regularly lose either or, especially when we need to be somewhere.

As you can see I am on the home stretch of the last 4 weeks and the calorie deficit it killing me. I am the grinch!!!! I used to have a heavy bag hanging out the front of our house but my OH wasnt keen on it. I think I may ask Santa for one again.

Had a 3 day weekend and planned 3 x 10km. I played golf day 1, hurt my neck some more. Went out in 30+ degree direct sun for a run nearly passed out at 6km. Did a 10km yesterday to total 0.2kg over three days. ahhhh

Keep at it Jude.

'It's darkest just before the dawn'

My motivational message for the day :)

So I just had a full week off plan and ate all around myself.

I threw in a good bit of exercise each day to limit the damage and I am proud to say I am up 4lbs. I am proud of those 4lbs as I enjoyed each and every one of them.

I am on a VERY strict plan for the next 4 weeks, so I'm hoping to get rid of those 4lbs and a whole pile more.

So I just had a full week off plan and ate all around myself.

I threw in a good bit of exercise each day to limit the damage and I am proud to say I am up 4lbs. I am proud of those 4lbs as I enjoyed each and every one of them.

I am on a VERY strict plan for the next 4 weeks, so I'm hoping to get rid of those 4lbs and a whole pile more.

Yeah, packed on a pound or four in the last week myself, even with plenty of running & cycling done too... I blame the pale ale's!

Like yourself, off the treats & booze until December now to try & get myself back on track. I feel like a bit of a glutton after the weekend in particular so want to start feeling normal ASAP.

4lbs for a weeks fun is a bloody good deal. I would put on half that just thinking about it.

We're in it together for November! I am going to start weighing my portions again from tonight. I have my weekly weigh in tomorrow morning. I was hoping to be under a a certain point by then I think I may be .5kg/1lb off.

• Advertisement

This past week was as tough for me a week 1.

I was craving like a madman and with a lot of work on (and still on) I was a crank. I had a goal set which I scraped in to by 0.1kg so yesterday was tough. Egg white omelet for breakfast, same for lunch, then a tiny prawn/kale/avo/chickpea salad for dinner. I then did an 8km run which was much easier when I was 12kg heavier. I just had no energy.

It was tough not to snack whilst watching the bridge.

End of week 9:
    Week 1: -2.9kg/6.4lbs
    Week 2: -0.7kg/1.5lbs
    Week 3: -2.1kg/4.6lbs
    Week 4: -1.1kg/2.43lbs
    Week 5: -0.5kg/1.1lbs
    Week 6: - 1.2kg/2.65lbs
    Week 7: Holiday I didn't weigh in.
    Week 8: -1.7kg/3.75lb (over 2 weeks)
    Week 9: -1.9kg/4.19lbs

Cumulative loss over 9 weeks: - 12.1kg/26.68lbs over four weeks.

Trainer wants me to lose 4kg more over the next four weeks, I am not sure my heart is in it. I mean I will not binge or booze but the cutting is very tough, if it keeps affecting my mood/productivity I will just lose what I can and not worry about it.

Roll on 01 December when this ends.

A 2 stone loss is impressive jude. FWIW with that kind of calorie deficit the running will be tougher, pretty much for as you described, less fuel = less energy. I had that a few years back when I was shedding weight fast, the exercise got much much harder and took a lot of will power to get through. You do adapt, eventually, but as long as your in calorie deficit its going to be hard to keep it going long term. Sounds like you're doing great though so fair play man.

Cheers DvB. The early mornings training is affecting me, I get to bed early but the OH isn't quite ninja like when she goes to bed so I wake and have broken sleep.

Jaysus Jude that's some going that is some serious weightloss! Well done!

I'm doing a 300,000 step challenge this month, it's just an excuse to get me moving more and I weirdly like going for walks on cold dark nights.

Thankfully there's isn't a whole pile on TV lately so the plan is to go for a walk/jog (depending on how I'm feeling) right after work, have dinner, watch a couple of things on tv and then early to bed.

Going to bed early is really only there to stop the snacking :P

I'm not going to sugar coat it but it has been way tougher than expected. I thought I could tough out the hunger, I was right, but I had no idea that it was going to make me so tired and grumpy. No my OH says she doenst notice and that its just in my head but I notice.

5am starts for gym 3 days a week, 1250 cals a day, only two (that I can remember slippages, not having lean meat and having chicken wings) slippages, got sloppy the last two weeks not weighing my food. I would murder a magners and a bag of chips.

I have a google doc of my weight every day, fitbit steps, exercise taken, food intake (macros grams), supplement info, sleep hours. In the last 30 days I have run about four 5kms, a good few 8kms, and two 10kms. 300k steps is no easy feat. Take really really small steps.

Fair play Jude, that is some good consistent weight loss.

The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter and brighter........it could be Rudolph's red nose :D

If I meet Rudolph I may have venison steaks for dinner.

Jude13 wrote: »
    If I meet Rudolph I may have venison steaks for dinner.

I'm picturing you having a calorie deficient, sun stroke induced vision of a reindeer in the middle of one of your runs :D

Ha, it could be me.

I will add one thing, I have posted too much on this thread already, when I started out I thought I could do to lose 5kg and at a 10kg loss, which was beyond what I thought I could get to, I would be skinny enough almost too skinny.

Bear in mind I'm a chunky guy and the OH likes it so by skinny I mean a chunky skinny. Nowhere near a soccer player skinny. So I have lost 12kg and I am defo not skinny, I can grab a good load of fat around the middle. Its mad how we picture ourselves.

• Advertisement

I haven't posted at all! :o

Really well done Jude! Those are amazing results! :)

I'm all over the place with my food, we had lots of lovely treats at the weekend, and I am still feeling a bit yuck after it. Back on track this week, and will need to keep behaving during the Christmas season :( if our wedding does go ahead in the Spring, I hope to have reached my overall goal, or have almost reached it. Christmas eve and Christmas day will get a free pass though :D

Advertisement