Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Fair play Eskie, an hour of what though?

Jude13 wrote: »
    Fair play Eskie, an hour of what though?

Yesterday was abs and arms :)

Abs are horrible. I need to start doing them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Took a training session last night with the boys u9s & at the start felt fine, halfway through managed to turn awkwardly when stretching for a ball & managed to really hurt that hip that was still a little tender... oh man the pain... think I'll be needing to rest it for a few days at least, but will carry on stretching & staying as mobile as possible. So frustraing when I was meant to be doing a 10k run tonight with the mens senior hurling team.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    Took a training session last night with the boys u9s & at the start felt fine, halfway through managed to turn awkwardly when stretching for a ball & managed to really hurt that hip that was still a little tender... oh man the pain... think I'll be needing to rest it for a few days at least, but will carry on stretching & staying as mobile as possible. So frustraing when I was meant to be doing a 10k run tonight with the mens senior hurling team.

Sorry to hear that mate, resting an injury, especially when you want to be training, is always a pain.

Am a big believer in stretching, did some last night on the floor in front of the TV and the expected DOMS today as nowhere near as bad as I thought they would be.

• Advertisement

A hip injury is hard to rest too, hope you feel better soon DvB!

I have hypermobile joints so I spend a lot of time stretching before and after a workout, and then gentle yoga on rest days.
    I'm glad to say my shoulders only feel a bit twingey when I raise my arms. My "abs" on the other hand are not happy, I don't feel hungry, which is great :D
    I havent checked the programme for today yet, I'll cry if there's anything for core.

Today was mostly a lower body work out, with a bit of core. I didn't cry but came close during up and down planks, I think I hate them more than burpees.

Janey mackers, to hate something more that burpees is some feat. I almost hate the prowler more than burpees. I had it again today and it was puke inducing. Increased weight, ever so slightly on all my lifts. I did a 5 km jog last night to loosen my hip, then some yoga. It was still too sore this morning so we dropped the squats for leg press.

Didnt have time today to have my berry's, which are my carb in the morning, with my shake as I had to leg it to the office to grab some stuff as I have been designated a close contact for someone who may have CV19. She gets her results this evening lets hope its negative.

She gets her results this evening lets hope its negative.

Fingers crossed.

Fingers crossed here too!

The up and down planks kill me, I have no upper body strength.

I weighed myself earlier today, and I'm down 1.7kg, I wasn't expecting much at all so I'm pleasantly surprised.

• Advertisement

Cheers all, her test came back negative so we can go to the office Sunday. Working from home just does not work. Tiny lap top screen, 2 year old downstairs, slow access to the server and a partner (work) who is old school making it very difficult to get what he is meaning unless you are there in person.

That's a great loss Eskie! Smashing it.

Cheers all, her test came back negative so we can go to the office Sunday. Working from home just does not work. Tiny lap top screen, 2 year old downstairs, slow access to the server and a partner (work) who is old school making it very difficult to get what he is meaning unless you are there in person.

That's a great loss Eskie! Smashing it.

Good to hear Jude.

I know working from home isn't all it's cracked up to be for some people.

Ah that's great news Jude13 :)

I almost skipped today, but decided at the last minute to get my workout in before dinner (turkey burgers and sweet potatoes). I found a takeaway menu earlier in a drawer... I'm so glad I don't live in a city anymore or I would have been having a feast this evening :)

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

Fair play Eskie, I am very fond of turkey burgers. My sweet potatoe fries are so meant to be healthy but with the amount of olive oil I push on them in the cooking process means they are scratched off the list at the moment.

Had a very active rest type weekend. I had a trip to ikea, and then quite a bit of DIY which kept the steps up. It was also quite hot out so I lost a bit of water weight which gives an unrealistic view. I have my official weigh in on Tuesday morning and hope to be down from last week.

I had a big smoked beef brisket to last me a few days, for lunch and dinner (with a the fat trimmed). My OH does not eat meat during the week so its all on me. I am bloody sick of it. I never thought I would dread eating lovely BBQ smoked brisket.

Turkey burgers are actually so good, but sweet potato chips just aren't the same without olive oil. They were still yummy out of the oven, threw a few herbs on them and had paprika on the turkey burgers.
    I'm not really one for beef so I would also struggle eating it over a couple of days :)

On rest days I used to be so lazy but quickly learned that it's better to be somewhat active, without overdoing it. My OH is very active at the weekends, so that helps encourage me.
    I would have been up for going for a hike or hill walking today but I noticed that my good knee was a small bit twingey yesterday, and today it's getting painful to bend it.
    I'll see how it feels tomorrow, might be ok, if not I'll take an extra rest day. I'll stick to doing low impact for a while too. Himself is gone for a walk with the dog, and I've the feet up with an ice bag on my knee.

Got up and walked the dog this morning. It is cool enough at 5am to get it done. She is a rescue who can bark at other dogs when on lease. She goes to daycare three days and gets great socialization, but on a leash she can be tough. 2.5k steps and a bit of a work out holding her 30kg when other dogs went by. Weigh tomorrow morning.

I had a shake this morning with berries as usual but I am starving now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My dog is 8kg and I can barely control her on walks sometimes! :D

I know, and when she is so low to the ground she could pull a cart. Keeps my forearms fit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Got up and walked the dog this morning. It is cool enough at 5am to get it done. She is a rescue who can bark at other dogs when on lease. She goes to daycare three days and gets great socialization, but on a leash she can be tough. 2.5k steps and a bit of a work out holding her 30kg when other dogs went by. Weigh tomorrow morning.

I had a shake this morning with berries as usual but I am starving now.

My dog is 35kg and he loves nothing more to run and jump at people who say hello to him when he are out for a walk. The arms are ripped off me from time to time. But I like to think it’s all bicep work :P

Mine is very protective. If a dog gives a bark at her she returns the bark with interest. As she's usually a lot bigger than the other dog, and looks a little scary some owners tell me to calm her, though she is simply replying to the, usually smaller, other dogs instigation. Anyway, its great exercise for us all and dogs will bark, its what they do.

• Advertisement

Don't have a dog however my 18 month old sounds very similar........minus the lease :D

You can get a harness for kids, they look like a tiny backpack :pac:

My dog is 7kg and is socially awkward, so we go for our walks very early in the morning to avoid people and dogs. She's a sweet little thing, but if we meet anyone, she gets really over excited and anxious. She doesn't know what to do with herself, she just wants to love everyone :D We sometimes meet another early riser, they have a lovely calm Jack Russel terrier that just wags at my lady. I'm hoping over time she'll stop sounding like a weird gremlin whenever she sees them :)

I'm almost finished the programme I started 2 weeks ago, 3 days left to do, and I'm quite happy with the results. My love handles/muffin top are getting smaller, my face has lost a bit more chub, and jeans aren't awful to wear. Feeling fairly tired, but very positive :D

I'm almost finished the programme I started 2 weeks ago, 3 days left to do, and I'm quite happy with the results. My love handles/muffin top are getting smaller, my face has lost a bit more chub, and jeans aren't awful to wear. Feeling fairly tired, but very positive :D

Fair play Eskie, always good when hard work pays off. Stick to it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's brilliant, Eskie! Always good when you can feel a difference in your clothes. :D

Great work Eskie! Keep it up.

I had my weigh in yesterday morning for the end of week 3:
    Week 1: -2.9kg/6.4lbs
    Week 2: -0.7kg/1.5lbs
    Week 3: -2.1kg/4.6lbs

Cumulative loss: - 5.7kg/12.6lbs over three weeks. I have 5 weeks of the progamme left. I am struggling for concentration. I am daydreaming to beat the band. I am also having a battle of wills with my trainer in relation to leg weights. At the outset I said I didn't want to do anything that will make them bigger. I have issues with trying for years to get jeans that fit, and having to to get the pants of suits tailored for me. He is saying that the leaner they are the slimmer they will be. That's all well and good if I keep the weight off. My gray suit is unwearable after three week as even though I am down 5.7kg they are like cycling shorts on my thighs. I will push back hard tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thread popped up in my feed this morning. Good timing and I’m going to go for a small goal. On food plan for one week. Just one. Any longer ambitions lately and I crash and burn. But my weight is up and my asthma is awful so I can’t exercise so it has to be food if I’m to get control. I’m unhappy in my clothes and that makes me sad. So one week. I’m just finishing steroids for my chest and haven’t slept well so back to sleep now and then I’m going to clear out the kitchen of temptation. I actually ordered a very healthy shop yesterday anyways and that’s due at 11

Thanks for the motivation folks. hopefully I can follow through

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I am also having a battle of wills with my trainer in relation to leg weights. At the outset I said I didn't want to do anything that will make them bigger. I have issues with trying for years to get jeans that fit, and having to to get the pants of suits tailored for me. He is saying that the leaner they are the slimmer they will be. That's all well and good if I keep the weight off. My gray suit is unwearable after three week as even though I am down 5.7kg they are like cycling shorts on my thighs. I will push back hard tomorrow.

I had that problem for years too, had a 32" waist but always needed to buy 34" trousers or my thighs would be bursting out of the trousers or jeans, hated it. Have since found that not bothering with the gym (been years since I went near one) & just doing cardio has them slimmed down to the extent I can wear slim fit jeans which suits me perfectly. I'd be pushing back on bulking up again too, I shredded quite a bit when I stopped playing and put a stop to the weights and much prefer the shape I am now, albeit it requiring regular maintenance, though nothing like at the level my old shape did. Absolutely push back if its not what you want, its your body & you know it better than some PT.

Congrats on the overall loss btw, thats near enough a stone, good work fella! Am back under the 12st mark for the first time in a few months as of yesterday myself, so just 5lbs to go & I'll be back to my preferred 'running' weight. Managed to take a hurling training session last night & my hip whilst a little sore at the start loosened up nicely & feels okay this morning, so fingers crossed its well on the mend now meaning I can get a few runs in.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Top work on the loss Jude, that is a great result for week 3.

Still have similar issue to you and DvB re thighs v waist, have to wear a belt with all my trousers/ jeans and that is still after not been doing weights much in the last couple of years.

Have got back into it in the last couple of weeks however limiting reps and calories (most of the time) to keep them in check!

• Advertisement

Ye are all doing mighty! :D

I ended up quite hangry yesterday evening. It was like a switch, I was happy out, and then the dog started barking at someone walking out on the road. That's when I felt the full force of a headache, so I just said shush and got her to follow me out of the room that she'd set up guard in. I was over tired, and my patience was fading fast, when usually I'm full of beans in the evening. If I feel the hangriness sneaking up on me again today, I'm going straight to bed! I hate feeling cranky :o

Advertisement