Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

My wedding was a big catalyst for me also. I got down to 7kg more than I am now. I was starting from a much higher weight. The morning of my wedding I went for a 10km doing laps of St Stephen's green, mainly to keep me away from pals in the boozer.

I am feeling like I am over it. My trainer seems to be more into it so he can tell his boss I lost X. I have 26 more days. I snacked last night on some chorizo, I nearly opened a bag of humous crisps.

Just had shed load of chicken and broccoli.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jude13 wrote: »
    I am feeling like I am over it. My trainer seems to be more into it so he can tell his boss I lost X. I have 26 more days. I snacked last night on some chorizo, I nearly opened a bag of humous crisps.

Just had shed load of chicken and broccoli.

I'm only 3 days in and I'm over mine haha. I keep getting emails/offers from takeaway places. :mad:

The only consolation, I have 3 and a half weeks left then I'm having 4 days off-plan. (Toy show/ChristmasFM launch/Tree going up)

Then back on plan for 3 weeks. Then off plan for 2 weeks of Christmassy joy. And then no doubt will be back on plan in January in the depts of it.

Chicken and Broccoli (and carrots and green beans) is my dinner for tomorrow and Friday night :)

I say this every time I'm on plan and sticking it to 100%, is it just me or does your sense of smell and taste get so much stronger when you are on plan?

It definitely gets stronger. My OH got a hazelnut latte a few days ago and I had a sip. It tasted like sugar syrup, incredibly strong.

I also realize that though I said I would carry on till the end of November I told the trainer I would until mid December. It was in a moment of strength after having a good weigh in. We also have a drop dead date for a huge commission around mid December so to keep me off the booze and at top efficiency I thought it was a good idea.

Im having a baileys or something for Christmas fm launch!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,133 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Tahts a known phenomenon when dieting/shredding, your veering towards cleaner, healthier foods tend to mean less additivies (flavourings) so once your taste buds adjust the stronger flavours definitely seem sweeter/saltier etc.

For example I never add salt to anything, so when i taste something with either added they tend to be way too salty for my tastes. Whilst others who add salt to everything think mine is bland & tasteless... its all about what we're used to.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I'm a salt person, add it to almost everything whether I am dieting or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

I'm not going to sugar coat it but it has been way tougher than expected. I thought I could tough out the hunger, I was right, but I had no idea that it was going to make me so tired and grumpy. No my OH says she doenst notice and that its just in my head but I notice.

5am starts for gym 3 days a week, 1250 cals a day, only two (that I can remember slippages, not having lean meat and having chicken wings) slippages, got sloppy the last two weeks not weighing my food. I would murder a magners and a bag of chips.

I have a google doc of my weight every day, fitbit steps, exercise taken, food intake (macros grams), supplement info, sleep hours. In the last 30 days I have run about four 5kms, a good few 8kms, and two 10kms. 300k steps is no easy feat. Take really really small steps.

Hi, Just jumping on here as I'm on a permanent battle with weight, need to lose for BMI (need a lower one for surgery) more so than Christmas as I won't be easing off them either.

I've just noticed your calories for a day, was this given to you by your trainer. I don't know your weight or height but thats an excess deficit, thats toddler levels of calories. I get given out to regularly by my trainer for calories that are too low

I'm not surprised its effecting your mood levels and would be worried when you start to move up to maintenance that would be a good 1000 cals or more per day, how that would impact your weight.

Good luck with it all

It's more than enough to get by, I am cranky mainly due to work stress. it was calculated by a doc and a trainer. I was overweight so I have loads of energy in fat to burn so even at less cals it would be grand. I still manage about 30km running a week and three sessions in the gym. Toddlers don't generally have that fat reserve.

I used to think that a deficit like that was too low but it was a cop out on my part so I could still eat what I want. It's also for a defined period until I hit a certain weight, then back up to 2k plus to maintain.

Good luck with the surgery.

Bench, close grip row, farmers walk, sleigh and prowler today. I puked a little water for the first time since day 1. On the sleigh I had 40kg and the trainer. The farmers walk tore the palms off me. Good to be back in the gym.

I had a shake shake burger last night, no bun, in a lettuce wrap. It was date night so i thought screw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Out of interest is your trainer a 'shouter'??

"light weight baby!" no he is not, as I think he knows he would get it back in spades. I push myself to puking so I think there is no need.

• Advertisement

I push myself to puking so I think there is no need.

ugh, i remember those days.... freely admit, never, ever again! I enjoy training & keeping fit but the days of pushing myself that hard are gone. Years of hard training have me done with that level of physical activity. Fair play for still having the will to do it yourself though, you're stronger willed than I am, that's for sure.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

My "trainer" is on YouTube so there's no shouting, I much prefer positive encouragement :) I am determined this year to undo all my bold habits so I do push myself. If I ever feel im close to puking, I find that laying on the nice cool floor until the feeling passes helps :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Loughc wrote: »
    I'm doing a 300,000 step challenge this month, it's just an excuse to get me moving more and I weirdly like going for walks on cold dark nights.

55,000 steps in the bag after 5 days. I need to build a Bit of cushion as I’ve a lot on work wise next week. So that will be harder to get out.

Loughc wrote: »
    55,000 steps in the bag after 5 days. I need to build a Bit of cushion as I’ve a lot on work wise next week. So that will be harder to get out.

Start as you mean to go on... good work fella!

Great work Loughc.

DvB, it's more my lack of fitness rather than the level of activity, its also activity specific. For example I have only puked twice in the 10 or so weeks. Both were leg day/plyo day. It's usually after the weighted sled or farmers walk.

I never thought I was pushing myself enough in preseason back in the day unless I was puking or passing out. It was my skill, as I didn't have other skills, that I could push to my limit where most give up at 60%.

I did a workout Thursday, then golf. Friday ran a 10km on a treadmill (not the same but it was too hot), yesterday I did an 8.5km in the morning and nearly died with the heat and it was only about 30. And the scales have barely moved.

I keep saying this but i need to weight my food again.

Good that you can identify the reasons so Jude. Had the odd barf in pre season training, usually on the beep test after 2 weeks on the beer in some sun resort.

I got a pleasant surprise yesterday when weighing myself, down 6lbs in the week and for the life of me have no idea how, other than my last weigh in was artificially high due to my week off and a night on beer and snacks.but id done little in the way of exercise last week other than the 2 coaching sessions with the kids. Bizarre but ill take it, back to.my normal walking around weight. So plan to lose about 5 or 6 lbs to get back to my feeling good/running weight.

Flipping hell that is a big loss. I kill myself for a week and half to achieve that.

So week 1 of my newest challenge and I am glad to report I am down 4.5lbs. That's the 4lbs from my week off gone and a little extra. Still soooo much to go, but it's moving in the right direction.

It wasn't easy deffo struggled a bit on the weekend. Loving getting out at nighttime to get those steps in so that's good.

Speakin of steps after 8 days of November I am on 88.5k steps. So slightly ahead of the 10k steps a day.

This week will be hard to get the steps in squeezed in work so lunchtime walks will be gone, going to get up earlier and go for a longer morning one and out straight after work to clear the head.

2kg/4.5lb in one week is massive fair play. My weigh in is tomorrow and I may be on the naughty list.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Down 8.5kg since January 1st! Will probably put it all back on between now and Christmas!

• Advertisement

It's getting tougher and tougher. I had a Shake Shack triple cheese burger with lettuce wrap last week when we had a date night Christmas shopping, I also ate two whole bags of microwave popcorn during the week (salted no butter). THen at the weekend I had two triple cheese burger with lettuce wrap. I am beginning not to care. Only down .9kg/1.98lbs this week.

My trainer is not impressed as it was meant to be 1.5kg/3.31lbs per week from now on. Plus from the launch of Christmas fm I can have a drink. The original plan was 01 Dec for all this to end, I extended with a little push from my trainer to keep going till the 12th Dec. That looks like a step too far.

End of week 10:
    Week 1: -2.9kg/6.4lbs
    Week 2: -0.7kg/1.5lbs
    Week 3: -2.1kg/4.6lbs
    Week 4: -1.1kg/2.43lbs
    Week 5: -0.5kg/1.1lbs
    Week 6: - 1.2kg/2.65lbs
    Week 7: Holiday I didn't weigh in.
    Week 8: -1.7kg/3.75lb (over 2 weeks)
    Week 9: -1.9kg/4.19lbs
    Week 10: -0.9kg/1.98kg

Cumulative loss over 9 weeks: - 13.0kg/28.66lbs over ten weeks.

2 stone is still a great return though Jude, and that kind of lifestyle is never sustainable anyway, so I'd not feel in any way guilty about ending it whenever you decide to ease up. The key then will be maintaining, if you can sustain the weight loss & still have the odd drink & treat happy days. There'll be other exercise/diet regimes in the new year but try not to let it become all encompassing to the extent your life is no fun!

Fair play Jude 2lbs in a week is exceptional going and 10 weeks in as well that's the tougher part.

I honestly don't know how you're doing it. I'm only 2 weeks into mine and I really don't care for it any more haha. The only thing keeping me going is my light at the end of the November tunnel.

As the lads said, fair play Jude, great effort on the overall weight loss and more importantly for sticking at for 2 1/2 months. That takes serious will power and no doubt a certain amount of stubbornness. You've done the majority of the hard work so can look forward to easing back a bit and finding that maintaining balance.

Cheers fellow elves. TRS30 stubbornness is my super power.

I am happy to share how I did it in every detail but in a TLDR would be:
    1. Set 1,239 cals in to MyFitness Pal
    2. Lift heavy weights (heavy for you, compound lifts and machine) x 3 a week
    3. 12,000 steps a day min (I aim for a 12k average by running 5-10km each day of the weekend or an evening during the week)
    4. No booze, zero.
    5. Consistency.

In a bit more detail

Macronutrient Daily Target
    Calories 1239
    Protein 145g
    Fat 51g
    Carbs 50g

Usual day's food to hit the cals and macros

Brekkie:
    20g of Blueberry
    40g of Strawberry
    20g of Raspberry
    2 scoops of whey protein
    Lunch
    70g of Leafy green veg, I use spinach
    30g of Brown rice (uncooked) [I cut this out the last few weeks to help losing, also means I can use a tiny bit of olive oil and pepper on the salad]
    Tuna (in brine or water) 210g

Dinner
    280g of Chicken leg
    70g of Asparagus (or leafy green)

WEIGH EVERYTHING

No snacks, no 'this is healthy fat' messing. Now all I need to do is get back to the strictness of the first 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

Impressive Jude, well done! And Loughc that a great result in 1 week!
    My problem is I can resist everything but temptation...

I have about 20kg to get rid of. I lost quite a bit by changing habits and walking an hour a day.. then pregnancy happened and with a few issues after the baby was born I was unable to walk with any purpose. So between feeding the baby and no exercise the weight crept up.. I'm only now 5 months later getting back to normal.
    I started go for walks and from start of November and avoided most treats.. I did have a Christmas coffee from Costa but just one! I'm down 3lbs since the 1st so going to keep going.
    I need accountability so will be popping in here if I can join yous?

Mutleyboo wrote: »

I have about 20kg to get rid of. I lost quite a bit by changing habits and walking an hour a day.. then pregnancy happened and with a few issues after the baby was born I was unable to walk with any purpose. So between feeding the baby and no exercise the weight crept up.. I'm only now 5 months later getting back to normal.
    I started go for walks and from start of November and avoided most treats.. I did have a Christmas coffee from Costa but just one! I'm down 3lbs since the 1st so going to keep going.

First rule is dont be so hard on yourself, life is hard, especially so when you have little time for yourself like after having a baby, so the fact you've even made that first step is fantastic. Theres no secret to losing weight & unfortunately it involves hard work & willpower, but you'll get plenty of encouragement in here so feel free to drop in any time, and anyway hang around long enough and it'll be clear that we're all struggling :D

As DvB said its different for everyone, and we are here to keep you going!!

My OH put me on to the programme I set out as she followed similar after the new elf arrived. No idea how she did it, and she didn't get cranky like me. Machine.

Apart from a calorie deficit I think the most important thing is the steps. Keep walking, especially if you space it out throughout the day. Im on my arse 10 hours a day so found it difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

Thanks both! I was on a programme before that worked for me and will be going back to it in Jan when it starts again.. I'm not waiting around for it to start as I can just end up using that as an excuse. Love being back walking so will keep on that.. I have to start organising my weeks food as that my downfall... if I don't have anything planned or ready it's too easy to default to takeaway or a quick bar of chocolate to keep energy going during the day..

• Advertisement

Mutleyboo wrote: »

Con' grat MB on the not so new arrive and the start on your weigh loss journey. As the others said, don't be too hard on yourself and accept you'll have good and bad days and even weeks.

We'll be here to support you and give you a kick up the a@@ even if needed :)

Advertisement