Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,132 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    Always feel that clothes are a much better indicator of how you are doing then a scales.

Absolutely.
    I dont really monitor my weight that much (it tends to be my fitness levels I watch more closely), I usually only check if I notice clothes feeling or looking different & then keep an eye on it, but its definitely the best barometer for putting a few pounds on.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

I broke my diet on Friday night, it was unlimited wings for gods sake. I only had 10 but still. I did an 11km jog yesterday as penance however as we approach the end of my second week training I am really not down much. My first week I lost 2.9kg. This week is not looking so good. I have a weight, fat calipers, and pictures on Tuesday morning. Pray for mojo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Jude13 wrote: »
    I broke my diet on Friday night, it was unlimited wings for gods sake. I only had 10 but still. I did an 11km jog yesterday as penance however as we approach the end of my second week training I am really not down much. My first week I lost 2.9kg. This week is not looking so good. I have a weight, fat calipers, and pictures on Tuesday morning. Pray for mojo.

Praying hard for you :D

I've lit a candle for you!

I was weak and opened a bag of aero snowbubbles last night, my OH had bought them earlier in the week. I didn't like them at all so I only had 2, I'm glad that I didn't ruin my good streak too much...

Two! Tis but a scratch to your diet armour. I would have polished off the bag.

• Advertisement

Two! Tis but a scratch to your diet armour. I would have polished off the bag.

I had fully intended on scoffing them all but they tasted much too sweet so the bag is still mostly full, my OH didn't fancy them either. My cravings were very disappointed, so I had a hot chocolate instead, half skimmed milk, half water.

Ended up having a few guinness on saturday night but managed to stay away from the crisps/snacks that would usually accompany them when having a drink at home, was surprised to see that for my monday morning weigh in they made little difference and my weight has stayed as it was, happy days as I had suspected the few drinks & the poor snacking yesterday may have set me back... having 2 training sessions over the weekend and setting up for my daughters match yesterday obviously was enough to keep the worst of it at bay. Did manage to tweak something in my hip yesterday afternoon when out pucking a few balls with the kids though, very sore for the rest of the vening and stiff / tender this morning, hopefully its minor enough & wont stop me running later.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

This is getting strange, my hip has been in a bad way for the past two weeks since I began trainging again. It was aggravated badly again by pucking a training sliotar off the wall for my dog to react and catch. I was worried it my be a serious hip issue. My OH put me through a few hip opening exercises from yoga and the relief was amazing. Doing them again tonight as I will be doing squats and DLs tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Not a great weekend, stag on Saturday so pints and some junk food. Had 6 choc biscuits yesterday, serious will power not to eat the packet :(

Not going to beat myself up. Enjoy the weekends and be good all week is my plan now.

That's not too bad at all. How many pints? Not shaming Im just jealous and living through you.

• Advertisement

That's not too bad at all. How many pints? Not shaming Im just jealous and living through you.

Could have been worse alright as had the serious hangover munchies all day Sunday.

I want to say 6 however was probably 7 or maybe 8 :eek: Was an early start and was watching the Liverpool game and then the rugby.

Caught up with a few mates I haven't seen since before lock down so was a good laugh catching up.

They had a company come and do a big meat BBQ over a wood fire, pretty much all you can eat!

Don't know if that makes you feel better or worse!!

I noted 7 or 8 and thought you had said stag party. I was thinking that's tame. BBQ meat is all good, its the buns and sauces that get ya. Very jealous.

I noted 7 or 8 and thought you had said stag party. I was thinking that's tame. BBQ meat is all good, its the buns and sauces that get ya. Very jealous.

Most of the people at it where in the late 30s early 40's, married, kids etc so nothing too wild.

Now if we were talking some of the stags the same group of mates went on 10 years ago, was 2 day benders (and still made it into work on the Monday!!).

I'm lacking motivation, I think I'll have to go back to working out earlier in the day. I'm hoping another coffee will help me feel energised enough to get started this evening.

I'm allowing myself a little treat here and there at the weekends too, and I did better than I thought I would. Aero snowbubbles being too full of sugar saved me from doing too much damage. I did have a big beautiful home cooked burger in a bun yesterday with oven chips, and I'm still dreaming about it today :)

I'm lacking motivation, I think I'll have to go back to working out earlier in the day. I'm hoping another coffee will help me feel energised enough to get started this evening.

I'm allowing myself a little treat here and there at the weekends too, and I did better than I thought I would. Aero snowbubbles being too full of sugar saved me from doing too much damage. I did have a big beautiful home cooked burger in a bun yesterday with oven chips, and I'm still dreaming about it today :)

Treats are important. It's what keeps me on the straight and narrow the majority of the time!

....... I did have a big beautiful home cooked burger in a bun yesterday with oven chips, and I'm still dreaming about it today :)
    You're killing me with that, I am constantly daydreaming about food.

So I had my weigh in this morning:
    Week 1: -2.9kg/6.4lbs
    Week 2: -0.7kg/1.5lbs

Cumulative loss: - 3.6kg/7.9lbs

I have also lost 4% body fat according to the calipers. Week 1 is clearly my body wondering what the hell is going on. Week 2 is it digging its heals in.

Im with you Eskie, motivation is low. I am struggling in every way to get out on my no training days to walk or jog.

Good man Jude, a loss is a loss.

I know you know all about fat v muscle, water retention and body adjustment to calories/exercise etc so maintaining the week1 level of loss is tough.

After you mentioned squats/DL yesterday I dusted off the squat rack in the shed and tried to get back into it last night. I'm going to pay for it today however you have to start somewhere!

I'm the same, first week I'm in shock, and then it's a struggle after that to see much on the scales. To make up for my bold burger, I had brown rice and veggies, and it'll be the same again today.

I didn't do a thing yesterday :(

I brought the dog for her walk this morning, and then ran around the garden after the cat that had managed to catch a tiny shrew. I twisted my ankle in the mad dash, hopefully it'll be ok for my work out in a short while. I'm not talking to the cat for the rest of the day.

TRS30 its nearly better to know nothing, sometimes I am second guessing my trainer, particularly in relation to diet. But I am sticking to it as I have not had the discipline the last few years to apply what I know.

The big bonus is the tweaks in exercise, particularly squats, DL's and Olympic lifts. I would have done these from being a teen through to mid 20's, thinking my form is perfect, however after being filmed from each angle there are some improvements to make. I must stress all the above are very light weight with my Olympic lifts barely progressing past the 20kg bar.

TRS30 its nearly better to know nothing, sometimes I am second guessing my trainer, particularly in relation to diet. But I am sticking to it as I have not had the discipline the last few years to apply what I know.

The big bonus is the tweaks in exercise, particularly squats, DL's and Olympic lifts. I would have done these from being a teen through to mid 20's, thinking my form is perfect, however after being filmed from each angle there are some improvements to make. I must stress all the above are very light weight with my Olympic lifts barely progressing past the 20kg bar.

I remember back when I was in the gym, I got chatting to one of the older PT's and they were saying that with the web now people come in with lots of information and challenge them on things were before they would just take what you said.

• Advertisement

Ah lads, try having gone and gotten coaching badges, talk about making you seriously second guess anything you're told. But on the positive side, it has shown me the amount of people that portray themselves as PT's or suchlike and haven't got a clue or at least certainly dont have the the joined up thinking between the different elements and how one can work with or against the other. If i have any doubts or queries now I nearly always ask the older lads who've been around the block & not the ones that have gotten a qualification in personal training from some questionable institiute or another having come straight from school & think their a PL club physio or suchlike... the amount of incorrect & sometime dangerous information/advice i've gotten is actually quite scary.

TRS30 wrote: »
    I'm going to pay for it today however you have to start somewhere!

Exactly. & most of the time the first few steps are the hardest.
    For me the killer is now finding the time to exercise (injuring myself at the w/e doesnt help) so have been concentrating on diet moreso recently, though the frustrating thing for me is that I need the exercise to feel positive about any 'plan' and always find the progress far slower when not getting in 3 or 4 decent sessions a week. I know that diet is king, bit mentally I just feel like I'm not doing enough if I'm not doing cardio. Have started into core exercises for the last couple of weeks though as I've not been getting the cardio & am starting to notice a little difference so gonna stick with that whilst trying to get the runs/cycles in too. All i need is another 4 hours in the day & I'd be flying!

I am the same, time poor. I am only doing three gym sessions a week and get them in at 6am, the other weekday mornings are my OH's so I do all things baby. She was the one who put me on to this kick and has been a great support. Getting up at 5 and getting the little one down by 8ish, then clean up the house gives very little time for cardio especially as Im wrecked from being up early and not eating much.

I get what you mean about coaching badges, I have done some rugby courses where a guy, who I assume is very clever but had no real world experience, tried to school our NZ underage flanker on scrimmaging. The lad was from Sri lanka and his sole experience was as a ref, barely played and certainly not in the pack.

On the time issue, I have tried to replicate my day as much as I can as when I was going to the office. So I try to use the 45/50 mins in the morning or evening when I would have been commuting to do something for myself. Doesn't always work out however trying to stick to it.

Seen enough 'PTs' that stand around chatting to their client and do a few exercises in between, to stay well clear of them. I got a few basics off one of the older guys when I first started to make sure I wouldn't do any serious damage and then just did my own thing.

My PT is a horrible human being, but we have saved and budgeted for this 8 week hazing so I am doing my darnedest to give it my all.

That bloody sweet thread keep drawing me back in.

I get what you mean about coaching badges, I have done some rugby courses where a guy, who I assume is very clever but had no real world experience, tried to school our NZ underage flanker on scrimmaging. The lad was from Sri lanka and his sole experience was as a ref, barely played and certainly not in the pack.

Certain aspects of rugby, set pieces especially are so technical how anyone could try to coach/teach someone and not know exactly what they are doing is beyond me.

In my very limited knowledge I would say more forward coaches are ex players (forwards).

My PT is a horrible human being...

Best ones always are. 'You dont have to like me, just listen to me etc etc'

That bloody sweet thread keep drawing me back in.

I'd stayed away & thought I was doing well, then went into it a few minutes ago without thinking and saw a delicous looking chocolate cake... I ran for the hills...
    seriously need to stay good for the next few weeks or December may tip me over the edge, and I'm not sure I'd have the energy or will to get into a massive weight loss plan again, it nearly killed me 4 and a bit years ago and was determined I'd maintain at worst so have to stop the creep now before I undo all that hard work.

Youre a lucky man DvB, I want to get to a maintain weight that I can go up or down a few kg without having to kill myself.

Two weeks ago I needed to lose 15kg min (33lbs) to be at a good weight.

TRS30 I completely agree, I was late to the forwards after years in the backs. I had a lot to learn, half of what I learned I would only tell a play over 18. There were some coaches who just had gems.

• Advertisement

I just about managed a full hour earlier. My poor noodle arms are going to be aching tomorrow.

Advertisement