Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

I know I'm late to this, but I only just read that Sammy Guevara was suspended for making a stupid rape joke four years ago.

What the hell is going on?!

AEW suspends a guy for making a joke about rape, but they continue to promote and do business with an actual rapist, Mike Tyson.

What a stupid company.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

sirmanga wrote: »
    I know I'm late to this, but I only just read that Sammy Guevara was suspended for making a stupid rape joke four years ago. What the hell is going on?!

Man I don't like this trend at all, digging up something from years ago and presenting it out of context like it's new "evidence" just to take down anyone famous. I agree it's a distasteful use of the word, but this is nastiness masquerading as social justice. And companies cave to it, much like James Gunn getting kicked off Guardians 3. (He had previously apologised for his tweets). Thankfully in the latter case, the cast rallied around him until he got his director's job back...but not everyone has that level of support.

Hopefully since Sasha has publicly accepted his apology he'll be un-suspended.

https://twitter.com/SashaBanksWWE/status/1275140107473956866

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Man I don't like this trend at all, digging up something from years ago and presenting it out of context like it's new "evidence" just to take down anyone famous. I agree it's a distasteful use of the word, but this is nastiness masquerading as social justice. And companies cave to it, much like James Gunn getting kicked off Guardians 3. (He had previously apologised for his tweets). Thankfully in the latter case, the cast rallied around him until he got his director's job back...but not everyone has that level of support.

Hopefully since Sasha has publicly accepted his apology he'll be un-suspended.

https://twitter.com/SashaBanksWWE/status/1275140107473956866

Exact same thing happened to Hartley Sawyer, who played Ralph Dibney/Elongated Man on The Flash, he got **** canned from the show due to years old tweets, that someone had screencapped and revealed when the show had finished it's 6th Season.

It's as if people in the public eye/entertainment industry can't/aren't allowed to make stupid mistakes, then subsequently learn from said mistakes, and change their behavior.

I'm sure Sammy deeply regrets the stupid comments he made 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,803 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm sure if everyone who said something stupidly racist/sexist/derogatory in their lives got fired, the unemployment rates would be through the roof. Plus the economy would collapse due to a very low number of employable people

Night 1 of Fyter Fest this week

Kenny Omega and Adam Page (c) vs. Best Friends - Tag team match for the AEW World Tag Team Championship
    Cody (c) (with Arn Anderson) vs. Jake Hager - Singles match for the AEW TNT Championship
    Hikaru Shida (c) vs. Penelope Ford (with Kip Sabian) - Singles match for the AEW Women's World Championship
    Jurassic Express (Jungle Boy and Luchasaurus) (with Marko Stunt) vs. MJF and Wardlow
    Private Party (with Matt Hardy) vs. Santana and Ortiz

Just seeing that makes me realise a lot of wrestlers are accompanied to the ring. And then we have Shawn Spears, Dustin/QT/Brandi/Allie, Lance Archer, The Librarian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Jericho on commentary either tonight or next week. Pretty certain it's next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,295 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I was just reading Conrad owns the the trademark for The Four Horsemen.

So could The Four Horsemen turn up in AEW.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Conrad is some man I’m guessing bought it off ric

I’d rather they come up with new names then a retread for factions

Not so much factions but I find it annoying when they try to apply things from their old employer to the new one. Like Vicky's "Are you kidding me?!" or in TNA Kurt did the "It's Real"

I think it might be Canada Day, Happy Canada Day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,988 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Opening tag match started off great, but soon descended into indie-riffic nonsense. How on earth is a 300lb man doing a senton bomb NOT the finish.... awful.

Ford really is a great old school heel in the ring.

That was a great great match.

Was the Sabian run-in necessary there? That was Ford's time to shine and it just distracted from the match.

"With his Waffle House menu"

Oh Jericho you are simply brilliant.

Why didn't the women's title match get the in-ring intro like this? Would have boosted its profile a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Just spotted Britt Baker in the Rolls Royce in the crowd!Really hope they have something planned to have her on camera tonight as I'm loving her work lately!

Jericho is gold...Wilford Brimley :)

I love the Darby Allin vignettes

Jericho is the GOAT.

Jericho needs to dial it down around 10-20% on comms. He was perfect when it was just him and Tony. But the latest installments he's been a bit OTT.

Great promo there by Taz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

"We're in a ratings war, ladies and gentlemen."

Is MJF some ultra post-modern heel where he turns even the smarkiest of internet fans against him by being an absolute bucket of cringe?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

J. Marston wrote: »
    "We're in a ratings war, ladies and gentlemen."

Is MJF some ultra post-modern heel where he turns even the smarkiest of internet fans against him by being an absolute bucket of cringe?

The content of his promos has never been good. Really confident delivery at a young age covered up the fact it's the hackiest most boring "you're virgins in your mothers basement" stuff the laziest wrestling fan could come up with in 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

cian68 wrote: »
    The content of his promos has never been good. Really confident delivery at a young age covered up the fact it's the hackiest most boring "you're virgins in your mothers basement" stuff the laziest wrestling fan could come up with in 10 seconds.

Yeah this is what struck me about him as well. Some of his heat involves fans indulging him tbh.

That being said, in ring wise the guy holds himself as the perfect heel. It's amazing how much presence he holds in the ring for such a young age.

So it's Fyter Fest, Fyter Fest, Fight For the Fallen?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Is it just me or has Kenny Omega's "stock" dropped over the last while?
    He was the hottest property in pro wrestling at one point not so long ago. Clearly Kenny doesn't have an ego as he is putting himself in tag matches. Truth be told he could just be hanging back while he could come back up to fued for the title.

But it does feel like he's dipped lately. Probably not the wisest move.

Is it just me or has Kenny Omega's "stock" dropped over the last while?
    He was the hottest property in pro wrestling at one point not so long ago. Clearly Kenny doesn't have an ego as he is putting himself in tag matches. Truth be told he could just be hanging back while he could come back up to fued for the title.

But it does feel like he's dipped lately. Probably not the wisest move.

Ye completely agree.

Think he's been booked horribly since the start.
    Horribly probably too strong a word but he should have been a huge deal from the get go. It's not like he can blame anyone seeing as though he's an EVP. If he wasn't one of the bookers people would be going crazy that he's been booked terribly. Put it this this way, if he went to WWE instead he'd be getting pushed even better than AJ Styles has since he joined imo and would be treated as a major deal.

So much more talented than Cody and would like to see him booked as strongly as him.

Don't get me wrong I like him and Page as a team but he should be the star of the show imo.

Elsewhere in AEW
    Moxley has done nothing for me as champ. Think he's so much better as the challenger and chasing the title.

From the WWE releases, the only people I hope they pick up are Rusev and Mike Chioda (explained why in the random thoughts thread haha). Zack Ryder will definitely be picked up as a mate of Cody's though and will probably have a program with Cody like Shawn Spears :rolleyes:

Anyone else from the releases that people would like to see signed?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I think it wasnt for the Pandemic the Page/Kenny turn would have happened by now as they need to save it for a live crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I agree with the mox since getting the title seems to have cooled obviously not helped by empty arena stuff as he was red hot with the fans but feuds/matches with Hager, Brodie and now cage aren’t doing much

Although tazz promo was really great this week

Tazz even got the dig at WWE in there.
    We expecting Cage to win the title?
    I've said before, that's why new guys shouldn't be going for the title right away, because they either have to pull the trigger and give him the title or else kill any momentum.

• Advertisement

I'd say Cody will definitely have a 4 horseman type stable soon.

My guess would be him, FTR and Shawn Spears.

Advertisement