Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEW - All Elite Wrestling (*Spoilers for Latest Show*)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Just watching road to All Out.

There's a sigificant problem with Adam Page. To be a top guy in this industry, you have to have one or more of three factors: exceptional mic skills, exceptional ring work, exceptional charisma.

He has none of these things. The only exceptional thing about him is how truly unexceptional he is. He's not even above average in any of these categories. He's a good wrestler, with ok interviews, and modest charisma. I cannot understand what they see in him.

The Shawn Spears thing was great. Good finish and he was good the whole way through. Codys stuff continues to be the highlight of AEW.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Why bleep Sandow?

They are bleeping anything that is WWE's intellectual property so as to avoid any potential lawsuits. They also bleeped The Shield when Dustin said that. They can say Bob Holly or Randy Orton because those are not WWE's trademarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Monokne wrote: »
    Both are cable.

Oh I always thought that was one thing nitro had over raw my bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Bringing in Tully and that promo made me care about Spears in a way id never imagined
    Great old style promo work

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

There's a sigificant problem with Adam Page. To be a top guy in this industry, you have to have one or more of three factors: exceptional mic skills, exceptional ring work, exceptional charisma.

Do you know what else it takes to be a "top guy in this industry"???
    Time.

He has potential & at this stage that's all you can judge him on. Having worked for ROH, a few New Japan tours & at nearly 28 years old nobody at this stage can tell where he'll be in 5 years time as rights now he's years away from his peak as a performer.
    raven136 wrote: »
    Bringing in Tully and that promo made me care about Spears in a way id never imagined
    Great old style promo work

The show is an unmitigated disaster but his promo before facing Stan Lane at Heroes of Wrestling is better than it has any right to be considering the match meant absolute nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

He has none of these things. The only exceptional thing about him is how truly unexceptional he is. He's not even above average in any of these categories. He's a good wrestler, with ok interviews, and modest charisma. I cannot understand what they see in him.

The Shawn Spears thing was great. Good finish and he was good the whole way through. Codys stuff continues to be the highlight of AEW.

I haven't seen it so can't comment, but I continue to believe they're just playing placeholder with Page. Jericho will be the first champion; if they can somehow make Page an actual thing in the lead up to that, that's a bonus.

I haven't seen it so can't comment, but I continue to believe they're just playing placeholder with Page. Jericho will be the first champion; if they can somehow make Page an actual thing in the lead up to that, that's a bonus.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Page is going to be the first champion.

The point is that they are attempting to make a big splash & a positive first impression, and having someone so ill equipped in the main event of their big pay per view just prior to the launch on TNT is a mistake.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Do you know what else it takes to be a "top guy in this industry"???
    Time.

He has potential & at this stage that's all you can judge him on. Having worked for ROH, a few New Japan tours & at nearly 28 years old nobody at this stage can tell where he'll be in 5 years time as rights now he's years away from his peak as a performer.

That's true. I agree with everything you've said.

So in 5 years, maybe he should be in this spot.

Now, he should not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,735 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I don't think anyone is suggesting Page is going to be the first champion.

The point is that they are attempting to make a big splash & a positive first impression, and having someone so ill equipped in the main event of their big pay per view just prior to the launch on TNT is a mistake.

Especially when you're more or less booking him as a mid carder leading up to said PPV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

much rather page win the title than fat jericho

• Advertisement

Really title match should be moxley vs omega

But I’m guessing they want the biggest star with the title which is Jericho

• Registered Users Posts: 60,342 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

AEW would be foolish to use CM Punk at All Out if they have by chance been able to sign him to a deal.

If they have signed him to a deal they should just keep teasing him till the TV debut.

Even if they haven't signed him they should keep teasing him till the TV debut anyway to get eyes on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Officer999

AEW would be foolish to use CM Punk at All Out if they have by chance been able to sign him to a deal.

If they have signed him to a deal they should just keep teasing him till the TV debut.

Even if they haven't signed him they should keep teasing him till the TV debut anyway to get eyes on it.

I disagree.

If they have Punk signed up then they need to debut him at All Out to make a big statement. Everyone is tired of the whole Punk saga of will he or won’t he wrestle again.

They need to do what they did with Moxley at Double or Nothing. Create a buzz and have the whole wrestling world talking about AEW.

Because if Punk debuts at All Out they will be a hell of a lot more people tuning in for that first TV episode on TNT than if he doesn’t.

MLW issued a statement saying Schiavone has a contract with them and they knew nothing about him appearing on AEW digital media till after the fact and Schiavone cannot continue to do anything for any other company other than MLW unless they clear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Why bleep Sandow?

Same reason they can't call Cody by the trademarked Rhodes name

100%.

You get one chance to make a first impression. The chances are their audience on night one will be huge.

The idea of debuting him on a pay per view that 100,000 people will buy and maybe half a million hardcore fans will see is foolish. You debut him at the end of the first TV show, in front of the biggest audience possible, and you don't give much away, forcing people to come back in week 2.

People old enough to remember it will tell you the impact that Luger on Nitro had & AEW could repeat that and then some with Luger. I still remember picking up PowerSlam magazine in '95 and thinking "holy **** I need to see this Nitro thing" when I read that Luger had jumped without warning.

I have to agree I wouldn’t debut him at all out as there’s still what another months till they debut the buzz will wear off a little. Now if all out was the same week as tv id debut to try build to tv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Well you would 100% need to announce he's appearing on the TV somehow. They need to promote the hell out of that if it's to happen to get as many viewers watching as possible.

They continue to tease it and have the first live show from Chicago that teases it more you don't have to announce him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

I don't see the logic of not announcing him appearing on your first TV. It makes no sense.

• Advertisement

Because him randomly showing up would build a huge buzz for the next week.

That way you get the big curiousity rating that you are already getting for week one, and you also get the big rating out of week 2 for people who want to see what's what with Punk. Two for the price of one.

The same thing that was done with Luger in 95, basically. Feel comfortable pointing to that as an analogous situation that is still talked about for its brilliance 24 years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Getting started before Smackdown transfers to Fox. Wise decision

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So that's a Wednesday and Smackdown is Friday on Fox?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

1-3 Wednesday morning's for us here in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,350 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    1-3 Wednesday morning's for us here in Ireland...

Not being pedantic, but that’d be Thursday mornings no? The same way Raw is on Tuesday mornings. The 2nd is a Wednesday. It’d space the week’s wrestling out nicely anyway, for anyway willing to watch all three who has no regard for a solid sleeping pattern. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

martyos121 wrote: »
    Not being pedantic, but that’d be Thursday mornings no? The same way Raw is on Tuesday mornings. The 2nd is a Wednesday. It’d space the week’s wrestling out nicely anyway, for anyway willing to watch all three who has no regard for a solid sleeping pattern. :pac:

Ah sugar, it's been a long day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭ThePott

Trailer for it is fantastic

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Getting started before Smackdown transfers to Fox. Wise decision

Am I missing something? What does one have to do with the other Gerry?:confused: It's on a different night...

• Advertisement

Of note is the wording of the press release, 'AEW is headlined by Cody, Kenny, the Young Bucks, Moxley, Jericho and Adam Page'. Sure would make it seem like they plan to keep him at that level.

Was noted by a lot of people that the Lucha Bros aren't mentioned in it, which I'd imagine is down to them being primarily contracted elsewhere.

EAQND5ZW4AASFif.jpg

Advertisement