Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

191 reg cars...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

GeneHunt wrote: »
    I think VW are doing pretty okay as is, the current Golf is at 10 place. They have five models in the top 25 cars sales!

The dying the family saloon segment, has the Passat (440 sold) still at the top in 24 place, it's nearest rival is the Skoda Superb (398) (the same group - VAG) at 26 place the next rival is the Ford Mondeo (204) at 49 place followed by the Opel Insignia (146) in 58 place and the Hyaudai I40 (141) at 61 place followed by the Mazda 6 (133) in 63 place and the Peugeot 508 (61) in 99 place.

I’m not disagreeing with you but the Golf is down 1/3 YoY. I think when the new Golf launches VW will see an uplift or people could wait until next year. I do expect VW to be too if the table again at years end. I do believe there are some issues with their diesels so could explain some of their slow start, but that’s only hearsay.

But yes i Think the Saloon is going to be replaced by the SUV. I think the saloon will essentially be the executive car and not the family car. Personally I would have never considered one until I had to rent one last year. I can definitely see where families will flock to them. I’m still happy enough with my polo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Seen a lovely blue 191 VW Polo and a silver 191 Qushqui today.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Oh I nearly forgot to say I seen a really nice 191-MH-XXXX Audi A6 Avant :cool: on Friday morning, sorry no photos

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

I drove past a 191 Focus this evening with a 3/19 tax disc in the window

Who taxes their brand new car for three months? Rental I assume. But odd to see all the same

I know..little to be worrying me..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yeah that is strange, as I have noticed since about 2016/ 2017 Mercedes sitting in driveways that used to have Audi's and BMW's. There C & E class sales have almost halved.

The Mercedes Benz C Class with 112 (2019) vs 198 (2018)
    The Mercedes Benz E Class with 261 (2019) vs 536 (2018)

The really strange one is the Mercedes Benz GLA Class with only 5 (2019) vs 49 (2018), but I think the Volvo XC40 is drawing in a lot of customers with 90 (2019) vs 8 (2018) and maybe BMW stole a few sales with the X2 too with 27 (2019) vs 1 (2018).

We were interested in a GLA for new in January. Sat down, with the sales guy in Cork.
    Ok, so interested in the GLA 1.6 petrol for 34K.
    That’s now 38K.
    What?
    Yes, everything gone up. Roadtax on the 1.6 is €570...
    Goodbye.

I was told by a friend of mine, who works for a massive German company, that Mercedes owned up to the emmissions cheating, just as EU inspectors were walking into HQ. I’ve never seen anything else to back it up, but its an interesting story, and would seem to be borne out by the increases.

Also spoke to Audi at the time, and he told us that the A4 is struggling badly to make emmissions in manual petrol. He told us that anyone who ordered a manual was going to get an automatic, as it was the only one that makes the cut.

Lexus also went up 3K on the CT200, but road tax stays at €180, so I doubt that was due to emissions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Who taxes their brand new car for three months? Rental I assume. But odd to see all the same

Or someone who wants the new reg but can just about make the payments and can only afford to tax it three months at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Or someone who wants the new reg but can just about make the payments and can only afford to tax it three months at a time
    Or someone who wants their tax renewal to come in in March and not January when they renew it for 12 months next time? I've done something similar in the past to stagger motor tax and insurance so they didn't both fall in the same month.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Or someone who works in the Ford dealer and its their demo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Or someone like me who likes to insure and tax their car 6 months apart.

A6 40 TDI in a a grey in Cork city, not too gone on it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,614 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

whiterebel wrote: »
    We were interested in a GLA for new in January. Sat down, with the sales guy in Cork.
    That’s now 38K.
    What?
    Goodbye.

I was told by a friend of mine, who works for a massive German company, that Mercedes owned up to the emmissions cheating, just as EU inspectors were walking into HQ. I’ve never seen anything else to back it up, but its an interesting story, and would seem to be borne out by the increases.

Also spoke to Audi at the time, and he told us that the A4 is struggling badly to make emmissions in manual petrol. He told us that anyone who ordered a manual was going to get an automatic, as it was the only one that makes the cut.

Lexus also went up 3K on the CT200, but road tax stays at €180, so I doubt that was due to emissions.

WLTP assessment caused the increases, nothing nefarious but a different more realistic test method.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

R.O.R wrote: »
    Or someone who works in the Ford dealer and its their demo.

First thing I thought, demo or courtesy car.

That’s now 38K.
    What?
    Goodbye.

WOW, €570 road TAX for a 1.6L petrol is really a deal breaker as we've got used to road tax of approx €200... I wonder how many other people said "goodbye" too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Someone with cash flow difficulties after Christmas and buying a brand new car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If things are that tight.....

Ms

Seen a 191 Seat Ateca today in a strange colour. At first I thought it was a Skoda Kodiak as there was a Tourag parked beside it but when I went over to look I seen it was smaller so tought Koraq than seen it was a Seat Ateca.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

If things are that tight.....

New cars are ordered months in advance, circumstances easily change, illness, a bereavement etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭sk8board

https://stats.beepbeep.ie/

Some other things that stand out:

Tesla only registered 13 sales, versus 12 last year. They are still just playthings for wealthy early adopters. €125k for a model S would get you a LOT of nicer cars.

Also, Porsche only registered 3 sales, versus 23 last year. 2 macans, 1 panamera. The effects of not selling diesel Macans taking hold I assume. Still unbelievably low - height of the financial recession low

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭appledrop

I see too many now to keep track so will just list the more unusual ones. A brand new 191 aircoach! Whatever brand/model that is . Also a 191 mini. The led lights at the back were mad. Looked a bit like Union Jack.

Yeah thats a thing now, the rear lamps have union jacks in them. Its an option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Yeah thats a thing now, the rear lamps have union jacks in them. Its an option

Pretty sure I saw a 181 Mini with those lights! Not sure it's new to the 191 model.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I mean with the new model generally so 2017(?) or so onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 14,500 ✭✭✭✭elperello

n1ck wrote: »
    Pretty sure I saw a 181 Mini with those lights! Not sure it's new to the 191 model.

It's a Brexit Special Edition. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

That’s now 38K.
    What?
    Goodbye.

Also spoke to Audi at the time, and he told us that the A4 is struggling badly to make emmissions in manual petrol.He told us that anyone who ordered a manual was going to get an automatic, as it was the only one that makes the cut.

No issues with the manual petrol - its the manual diesel that is delayed and its a free upgrade to automatic diesel. No such offer on petrols.

RedorDead wrote: »
    No issues with the manual petrol - its the manual diesel that is delayed and its a free upgrade to automatic diesel. No such offer on petrols.

Is this issue only with the Audi A4 or are other Audi diesel models affected?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Is this issue only with the Audi A4 or are other Audi diesel models affected?

I believe it's both the A4 and the A5.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Toyota sales figures down 36% in January- way more than for other Marques. Pushed to no 4 in the sales charts.
    Were the new Corolla, Camry and Rav 4 too late? Was in a Toyota dealer three weeks ago and there was a huge hullabaloo going on.

Ms

road_high wrote: »
    Toyota sales figures down 36% in January- way more than for other Marques. Pushed to no 4 in the sales charts.
    Were the new Corolla, Camry and Rav 4 too late? Was in a Toyota dealer three weeks ago and there was a huge hullabaloo going on.

Too late for January sure but maybe in the long run they will be a good move by Toyota. Its only one month maybe if they are still down that much after the year is out then that could be bad for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭mengele

Are new cars just gone too expensive now in general. Go back less than 10 years ago you could of had a new Renault fluence or megane for 15k with scrappage. Same car now is about 24k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Remember the days we could get a Lada for £4995 in old money...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

mengele wrote: »
    Are new cars just gone too expensive now in general. Go back less than 10 years ago you could of had a new Renault fluence or megane for 15k with scrappage. Same car now is about 24k

That's 24 k list vs a subsidised by Renault and Govt recession price yes?????.

Advertisement