Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

191 reg cars...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭GusGus

Big drops for most .

I guess a lot of new cars only coming later this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

AMKC wrote: »
    Patience is a virtue. Whats the rush? That's the problem these days everyone is impatient and wants everything now.

It's 9.30, Feb 1.... how many 191's registered I wonder today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

GusGus wrote: »
    Big drops for most .

I guess a lot of new cars only coming later this year

Toyota were winding down old models.

Only 25 Auris (old model been phased out) sold for example.

311 Corolla - again the old Saloon been phased out and new model not available in January.

Electric cars showing a significant increase 811 EVs sold vs 104 in January 2018.

Remarkably the Kona EV was the most popular option in the Hyundai Kona range

• Registered Users Posts: 51,205 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Are those Konas actually sold though as opposed to them being blitzed by Hyundai Ireland to their dealer network as "demos". Or are many people really spending 37k on a small electric SUV?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Would be interesting to get the stats for the last few days of January to see how many cars were registered just to push up the numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

bazz26 wrote: »
    Are those Konas actually sold though as opposed to them being blitzed by Hyundai Ireland to their dealer network as "demos". Or are many people really spending 37k on a small electric SUV?

Difficult to say - but the fact the EV had more registerstions then petrol or diesel makes it more likely that the cars were genuine sales.

Because Hyundai are more likely to be caught blatently inflating sales figures if they do it in a way that makes the EV more popular then diesel or petrol.

Yes they can pre reg the EVs but I would take the view that if they were to do so - it would mean "selling" less EVs then petrol.

I mean diesel only sold 60 in the Kona - "sell 100 EVs" and youve outsold diesel.

My understanding from comments ive read is that dealers were allocated something like 3 cars per dealer to sell as new cars when the Kona EV arrived late last year.

What they've been allocated since and for what purpose I don't know.

Even taking diesel out of the equation, I just find it difficult to believe that more people went out and spent circa 30k (taking the grant into account) for a small crossover when the equivalent petrol model starts at 22k.

As for manufacturers fudging figures, they have been at that for years, look at all the prereg models for sale. If you look at the SIMI stats they are based off new registrations figures which I presume include vehicles registered by dealers with zero miles. It's all about bragging rights regarding the best selling brand/model in the first month/quarter of every registration change. For example Hyundai and Toyota have been been battling each other here for market share for a number of years now, both claiming this and that around based on new registrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Old diesel wrote: »

Electric cars showing a significant increase 811 EVs sold vs 104 in January 2018

This could be a disaster for electric car owners, as it currently stands, there isn't enough chargers around the country. I have noticed over the last few months a good few charging locations full, but if the sales jump by that much, we will see people queuing to get their car charged.

GeneHunt wrote: »
    This could be a disaster for electric car owners, as it currently stands, there isn't enough chargers around the country. I have noticed over the last few months a good few charging locations full, but if the sales jump by that much, we will see people queuing to get their car charged.

Old link, but relevant nonetheless https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2264588/75-petrol-stations-40-years-forcing-drivers-travel-pay-tanks.html

If I were to buy an electric car, the obvious thing to do would be to have a charging system in my home. Electric cars owners generally know what they are doing, and tend to do far more research than 'normal' car buyers.
    I also doubt that Hyundai are stocking up on electric models, and registering them to make figures look good. A recent review of the Kona in one of last Sundays papers would be enough to boost sales.

That's exactly what did it the year before last with the Tucson as did Toyota with the CHR at launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Even taking diesel out of the equation, I just find it difficult to believe that more people went out and spent circa 30k (taking the grant into account) for a small crossover when the equivalent petrol model starts at 22k.

0% BIK and a useable range. I'd say a huge chunk of the Kona EV reg's were company cars.

It makes no difference if the Kona's were company cars, pre registered or whatever, the fact is that they exist, and are here. I doubt they will sit gathering dust. Just face the fact that there is a viable option to petrol, diesel or hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

They're €38 k AFTER the Grant AFAIK - from an ad on Carzone: Full Retail Price is €48999. Price quoted is after VRT Exemption/SEAI Grant/Residual VRT have been removed. Terms and Conditions appl

Keep your pants on, nobody claimed they were going to be gathering dust or denying that are here. But tax incentives for business users is a big insight behind these numbers whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Here is the latest overall in a bit more detail.

abEtJ1j.jpg

There's a few big jumps in sales on a few of those cars listed.

The biggest surprise for me is the Ford Ecosport with 211 (2019) vs 29 (2018) as they are out a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

I think with Skoda and Seat having decent deals on was the cause of their YOY increase. I definitely have seen a number of new Skodas of all varieties in Sligo. I also wonder if VW will get a spike later in the year when the new golf and t-cross are out. I think people could be holding off here on making a new car purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Anything that's not one of those fake SUVs is getting hammered.

Mercedes have taken a pounding, can't understand why.

Diesel now below 50% of new car sales for the first time since 2008.

Toyota being hammered with no Auris/Corollas available, so much for the advertising telling us they had 1500 handraisers etc! Pricing is also outrageous for these cars as well, even when supply improves it's hard to see why someone would chose one when they could have a Focus for €5k less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭ofcork

GeneHunt wrote: »
    There's a few big jumps in sales on a few of those cars listed.

The biggest surprise for me is the Ford Ecosport with 211 (2019) vs 29 (2018) as they are out a few years now.

EcoSport has been facelifted looks much better similar to the edge/Kuga.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭GusGus

ofcork wrote: »
    EcoSport has been facelifted looks much better similar to the edge/Kuga.

The Eco Sport is one seriously ugly car imo. It’s just all wrong in its stance and shape .

• Advertisement

ddarcy wrote: »
    I think with Skoda and Seat having decent deals on was the cause of their YOY increase. I definitely have seen a number of new Skodas of all varieties in Sligo. I also wonder if VW will get a spike later in the year when the new golf and t-cross are out. I think people could be holding off here on making a new car purchase.

I think VW are doing pretty okay as is, the current Golf is at 10 place. They have five models in the top 25 cars sales!

The dying the family saloon segment, has the Passat (440 sold) still at the top in 24 place, it's nearest rival is the Skoda Superb (398) (the same group - VAG) at 26 place the next rival is the Ford Mondeo (204) at 49 place followed by the Opel Insignia (146) in 58 place and the Hyaudai I40 (141) at 61 place followed by the Mazda 6 (133) in 63 place and the Peugeot 508 (61) in 99 place.

Mercedes have taken a pounding, can't understand why.

Yeah that is strange, as I have noticed since about 2016/ 2017 Mercedes sitting in driveways that used to have Audi's and BMW's. There C & E class sales have almost halved.

The Mercedes Benz C Class with 112 (2019) vs 198 (2018)
    The Mercedes Benz E Class with 261 (2019) vs 536 (2018)

The really strange one is the Mercedes Benz GLA Class with only 5 (2019) vs 49 (2018), but I think the Volvo XC40 is drawing in a lot of customers with 90 (2019) vs 8 (2018) and maybe BMW stole a few sales with the X2 too with 27 (2019) vs 1 (2018).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭sk8board

Merc bmw and Audi all with pretty huge falls - bmw can rightly say the 3 series isn’t available for test drive until this month, and it’ll sell by the truckload.
    However Audi and Merc have pretty new lineups and any older models got the refreshed infotainment etc.

The Mercedes YoY fall is a complete mess really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

sk8board wrote: »
    Merc bmw and Audi all with pretty huge falls - bmw can rightly say the 3 series isn’t available for test drive until this month, and it’ll sell by the truckload.
    However Audi and Merc have pretty new lineups and any older models got the refreshed infotainment etc.

The Mercedes YoY fall is a complete mess really.

Buy a nearly new UK at massive discount with sterling over last while

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I think a lot of people in that end of the market are willing to buy a nearly new Merc/BMW/Audi from NI/UK and save thousands rather than buy a new or nearly new one here.

Worth mentioning that the likes of Merc and BMW were offering reduced list prices or dealer contributions this time last year due to the weak sterling. They ain't doing it this year and are paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

More or less the entire Mercedes range is either in the process of getting new engines for WLTP, or there's a new model on the way.

E Class is about the only model available from stock or that can be ordered at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,329 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Surprised with those electric sales. wonder if the lack of proper infrastructure is the factor holding it back.

R.O.R wrote: »
    More or less the entire Mercedes range is either in the process of getting new engines for WLTP, or there's a new model on the way.

E Class is about the only model available from stock or that can be ordered at the moment.

Didn't Mercedes only launch a few new models in 2018 though? A Class, CLS and most recently a revised C Class? I'd hope those were WLTP approved when launched and apart from the CLS I'd think the A and C Class would be their volume sellers along with the E Class.
    OSI wrote: »
    Yes. Each dealer got an allocation for the year and most sold before last year was even up.

Indeed as ROR was saying earlier, 0% BIK meant there was a big uptake from businesses on them. Would be nice to see a breakdown of registrations by business v private individuals but the figures are not that granular. 38k for an EV Kona versus 23k for a petrol Kona is a huge gap all the same and one I'd say a lot of private individuals would struggle with even with total cost of ownership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

We get a lot of mileage at work.

Twice in last while I've turned down vehicles.

Car van at 5% bik no use as 2 kids.

Not paying the bik on a car. Prefer my mileage.

I'd drive a 0% EV once the range suited me. Kona might do 90% of my days. The other 10% ibcould surely find a charger somewhere. Or plan accordingly

Advertisement