Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

191 reg cars...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

I wonder if any new 508 have been sold yet.

34 so far month to date compared to 37 at same stage last year. Poor for such a nice looking car.

GusGus wrote: »
    Hi - thanks for stats !

Have you list of brands and how they are doing ?

Updated now with brands - added models picture twice :D

ELM327 wrote: »
    Wonder how many of the Konas were Kona EVs? Have seen a rake load of them recently on 191 plates

Fuel Split so far:

Petrol 244
    Diesel 56
    Electric 245

GusGus wrote: »
    Hi- any actual figures of what makes are selling ?

Dm19JIC.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

RedorDead wrote: »
    34 so far month to date compared to 37 at same stage last year. Poor for such a nice looking car.

What's the supply situation - sometimes the supply coming in could be low when the car still so new.

I see a few 1.5s on Carzone but if buyers are coming in looking for 2 litres those aren't much use.

I suspect that going by what's on Carzone Peugeot here have generally been selling 1.6 diesels.

Not sure whether someone seriously looking at the new 508 will go the small engine route if a conquest sale from a car where 2 litre is the norm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

OSI wrote:
    But they couldn't actually order any from the factory, it was literally closed for near 3 months.

But they still sold plenty of new cars in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

That’s some drop for Toyota..
    See if their strategy pays off by year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ongarite wrote: »

What about drop of mercs and bmw?! I wonder if UK imports have much to do with it. Donedeal is filled with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,221 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Wonder how much of the reductions are due to supply shortages that they simply can't get certain models for months?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭CorkMan_

UK Imports have to have a big effect on the likes of BMW, Merc and Audi. Two friend have gone to the UK to get new A6's recently. And they are not the only ones doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,221 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

CorkMan_ wrote: »
    UK Imports have to have a big effect on the likes of BMW, Merc and Audi. Two friend have gone to the UK to get new A6's recently. And they are not the only ones doing that.

With the VAT and VRT would there be a saving on new purchase?

ongarite wrote: »

They are in model change over......

No new Corolla in those figures, no Camry until around April.

Now I know people will argue that Camry won't go well but we can't measure Camry performance when the cars arent even in the country yet.

Toyota will measure their success on a world wide level so in their deliberations losing a few diesel drivers in Ireland wont really register

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭greendragon3

spotted this in sligo today

IMG-1067_zpsnowkdrqg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,584 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It looks like the rear door on that Merc was not closed right. You would think with all the technology now that when locked or locking the car either an app, the car or the car key could tell the owner of the car if all the doors are closed or not.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Seen 6 today. They are getting more frequent so I'll stop counting soon. Today's list was a Nissan Qashqai, Dacia Duster, Ford Kuga, Audi A4 or A6 couldn't tell, Audi Suv and an enormous Range Rover. All were dark colours ranging from navy, grey or black.

One of the D regs in 7000's. Anyone any idea what we are up to for D regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

RedorDead wrote: »

I think that number of 508's is the older out going model, The new model 508 isn't out yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

appledrop wrote: »
    Seen 6 today. They are getting more frequent so I'll stop counting soon. Today's list was a Nissan Qashqai, Dacia Duster, Ford Kuga, Audi A4 or A6 couldn't tell, Audi Suv and an enormous Range Rover. All were dark colours ranging from navy, grey or black.

There's at least 6 in our carpark at work.
    1 ateca - my wife has one at home too
    1 5008
    1 tuscon
    1 citroen van - berlingo?
    1 ceed

The crossover is undeniably king of middle income Ireland and I can no longer jeer as we have 2. Also my parents have 2 and my inlaws are buying 1.

AMKC wrote: »
    So did you buy after and if so what?

Sorry yeah bought ateca.
    Grand car. Wife driving it happy out.
    Looks well and drives fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There's at least 6 in our carpark at work.
    1 ateca - my wife has one at home too
    1 5008
    1 tuscon
    1 citroen van - berlingo?
    1 ceed

The crossover is undeniably king of middle income Ireland and I can no longer jeer as we have 2. Also my parents have 2 and my inlaws are buying 1.

They have become the default for a lot of buyers.
    You are well placed for a bit of market research there.
    Why do you reckon those five purchases are crossovers?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Crossovers, small SUV’s, soft roaders, mummy wagons... whatever you want to call them... they are now the dominant seller in Ireland for sure. Members of my own family that previously bought Focus’s and Golfs are now in Tiguans and the likes.

Large mid range saloon sales have completely tanked, barring perhaps the Passat, which is still clinging on to some degree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

appledrop wrote: »

Garage registered my new 3008 today. They’re up around 9500 now.

elperello wrote: »

Not much of a sample size.

All 5 crossovers owners are women.
    4 of 5 have young kids

4 of 5 between say 30 and 40
    1 of 5 over 60

Crossovers have become the family car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Most of the 19 plates I seen seems to be Peugeot 3008/5008 seems to be a lot of them on the road

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Most of the 19 plates I seen seems to be Peugeot 3008/5008 seems to be a lot of them on the road

Maybe you just saw the same cars several times?

Not much of a sample size.

All 5 crossovers owners are women.
    4 of 5 have young kids

4 of 5 between say 30 and 40
    1 of 5 over 60

Crossovers have become the family car?

In 1988 the typical sensible driver bought a Toyota Carina 1.6.

In 1998 they were looking at a VW Passat 1.9 TDI because 50 mpg in that big car lots of room body.

In 2006 we started seeing signs of the SUV gaining ground with the Hyundai Santa Fe starting to gain some traction. The things started appearing in noticeable numbers.

Indeed you could probably draw a correlation between the Hyundai brand and market development in Ireland and the SUV growth in Ireland.

The aforementioned Santa Fe even in its Mk 1 guise was probably the first car from Hyundai that could attract Middle Irelands interest in Hyundai as a brand they could buy into.

Remember when the Mk 1 Santa Fe was selling - the rest of the Hyundai range had "delightful" delights like Atoz/Amica, Accent, Elantra and the Sonata.

The Santa Fe was like a revelation in that line up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

This morning's list- Skoda Superb, Hyudai Tuscon, Another Ford Transit van(They must be offering a good deal) + Toyota CHR which I think are very ugly. They remind me of a quad bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

elperello wrote: »

Switched from a Leon to an Ateca this year for a few reasons. In a nutshell they are hilariously practical. Boots on some saloons are huge, but the openings are tiny. I'm picking on BMW, Passat there.

My reasons are below:

- I wanted a 1.5 or above petrol engine, I wasn't doing the miles for 2L diesel anymore - seems to be more readily available in crossovers
    - The Leon was way too low for getting the kids in and out of. Also the FR spec with the 18 inch wheels was a very firm ride..
    - The Ateca is just as quick off the line as the Leon, despite the size difference, so don't miss the poke.
    - Bigger boot

There's a world of difference between a Focus hatch and a Kuga with the same engine and trim. The hatch us better to drive, lighter and therefore quicker. It's also lower so handles better. I don't understand why anyone would pay extra for more height, weight and inferior dynamics.

Looking at the various cars I outlined earlier from Carina II to Santa Fe and noting as well the MPV popularity in early 2000s with the likes of Seat Alhambra/Ford Galaxy/Opel Zafira.

One can pick out some common things in the context of what the mass motoring public want in a car.

Ease of ownership

In 1988 you bought a Carina II because on a normal non Mercedes budget it was the most reliable car you could have. In 2019 you are going PCP on the Ateca because you don't like repair bills.

Fuel economy

In 1988 the Carina was very good on fuel for a car that had good room and comfort.

In 1998 the Passat B5 was offering a 50 to 55 mpg car with a level of room and comfort that previously was not compatible with 50 to 55 mpg. Plus VW had built up a good diesel reliability reputation via the old 1.6 diesels*.

In 2019 the Ateca offers you various good fuel economy options.

Decent space

The Carina was good - the Passat was outstanding in 98 giving you space previously only offered in next class up. The Ateca is really good now for its size.

Smooth unannoying comfortable driving....

In 1988 the Carina was offering a lovely slick Japanese gearbox, a smooth quiet modern new technology 16 valve engine. Comfortable car but not a big tank size wise.

These days we consider the VAG 1.9 tdi unrefined - but imo it was always at its best in a Passat B5. In 1998 a Passat TDi felt very good refinement wise vs what we were used to in a diesel. A smooth car on the road - great long distance machine with 50 mpg.

In 2019 an Ateca is set up nicely for daily driving although you need to choose spec carefully. That's a big change in 2019 vs 88 and 98. Previously you walked in - did a deal on a Carina or a Passat and that was that. With Ateca you have more options.

To sum up....

A 1988 Carina is a significantly different car to a 2019 Ateca but the buyers were looking for a lot of the same things. It's just the answer has evolved.

Edit *the turbodiesels werent so good in the 1.6 old school VW diesel - but they were really scarce in the VW so everyones VW diesel perception was based on the normally aspirated "last forever" reputation.

• Advertisement

There's a world of difference between a Focus hatch and a Kuga with the same engine and trim. The hatch us better to drive, lighter and therefore quicker. It's also lower so handles better. I don't understand why anyone would pay extra for more height, weight and inferior dynamics.

Bigger.
    Bigger boot, more room behind driver due to vertical space.
    Higher for lifting kids.
    Way way handier for a big double buggy
    Similar money. Mondeo lot dearer.

Driving a crossover as I do big mileage and wife doesn't, so I took her low mileage kuga for 2 years to average out.

Far prefer a normal car myself but such is life.

My wife won't notice dynamics or weight or cornering. Neither do 80 to 90% of drivers.

I nearly put kuga in ditch twice coming from 5 series. Awful in a bend.

But I can still see why they sell well.

An estate would be the answer really. Not a hope in hell of my wife driving any estate in that price bracket (30k new).

Kuga is an extreme example too. Very high and no need for it. Her ateca much lower and drives better for it.

Advertisement