Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More than 5 rounds....

Options
  • 31-12-2018 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hi,
    So has anyone tried - or is it doable to apply for a pistol (rimfire .22lr) with more than 5 rounds?

This, as I understand, it is then a restricted firearm, but its not a centerfired. So could it be granted? Or does the legislation disallow it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It's a restricted short firearm, can't be licenced anymore. Calibre makes no difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As above the SI does not say it has to be a centrefire only that restricted short firearm licenses are no longer to be granted. So as soon as the license becomes restricted (centrefire, or rimfire with more than 5 rounds) the license cannot be applied for let alone granted.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

If I remember correctly the legislation stated that the magizine capacity is restricted to 5.
    So that's fairly black and white.

Don't suppose anyone knows the link to the actual legal portion of the statute book?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Zxthinger wrote: »
    If I remember correctly the legislation stated that the magizine capacity is restricted to 5.
    So that's fairly black and white.
    Not so.

You are referring to the SI (21/2008 as amended by 337/2009) which is different from the primary legislation that makes any new restricted license unobtainable.

The SI only lists what is classed as restricted in terms of firearms and ammunition. The Primary legislation says why you cannot license a restricted short firearm since Nov 2008 unless you previously held a license for it.
    Don't suppose anyone knows the link to the actual legal portion of the statute book?
    Section 30 of the 2009 Criminal justice and miscellaneous provisions act which amends section 3 of the principal act to include three new sub sections. (b)(C) & (D).

The one you want is section 3(d).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭clivej

Friend has a restricted .22 pistol license so he can put more than 5 rounds in the mag. Had this before 2008

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭gunny123

What gets up my nose is they could not stretch a point and make it six rounds rather than five.
    I have had a barney more than once with the gardai over this while trying to licence my revolver.
    Tbe whole thing is a farce anyway, its like lads with five or six shot semi-auto shotguns, plugging them with a bit of wooden dowel to restrict them to three rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dc99

So thats a no go, thanks for the info - I always wondered if it was legally possible

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

I tried and failed cant be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭alanmc

As a slight tangent, are there any groups or individuals currently lobbying to get these 2009 ammendments changed/reverted?

I don't have much of an interest in handguns myself, but the 'ban' seems a little ludicrous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭gunny123

alanmc wrote: »
    As a slight tangent, are there any groups or individuals currently lobbying to get these 2009 ammendments changed/reverted?

I don't have much of an interest in handguns myself, but the 'ban' seems a little ludicrous.

There is one group, but the remedy is worse than the disease :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

alanmc wrote: »

Reading the posts here for the last six or seven years or so, it seems that you'd have more luck re-making a fried egg.

gunny123 wrote: »
    What gets up my nose is they could not stretch a point and make it six rounds rather than five.
    I have had a barney more than once with the gardai over this while trying to licence my revolver.
    Tbe whole thing is a farce anyway, its like lads with five or six shot semi-auto shotguns, plugging them with a bit of wooden dowel to restrict them to three rounds.

The law states that only short arms which are designed to run with mags holding 5 or less rounds can be licenced.
    Technically a revolver has no mag so as such they are either allowed in 6 shots or in actual fact any revolver is actually restricted.

That's the BS the pairs us green.

I tried that argument with a S&W 17, stating that the cylinder was integral to the handgun and not a separate magazine. I was told its the thing that holds the bullets and if it takes more than 5 then no chance, i was even told that if i wanted 6 rounds in a handgun to load 1 into the chamber then the mag holding 5. I asked would that not be the same as a 6 shot revolver, I was told no ?. Very hard to get satisfaction from a person like that.

The problem is that they, the clowns have technical made revolvers restricted. They are a bunch of anchors. Lol

And what's more is that we let them. We all stood there and endorsed the nonsense by saying that "oh yes revolvers are now restricted to 5 shots"

The fizzing law now states that a short arm has to be restricted to shooting .22LR and that if must have a magizine restricted or designed to carry 5 or less rounds.
    As some of you noted 'Revolvers don't have Magizines'

So where does that leave us.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

This 5 rounds malarky, is this an EU or an Irish reg? If it's EU wide then manufacturers may put products on the market to facilitate that market but if it's just Ireland they wont

I don't know of ANY other nation in the EU that limits the capacity of a magazine, or reduces the capacity of a revolver by physically preventing a cartridge from being loaded.

Yes because if we had 6 in a revolver that would turn us all into homicidal maniacs, we should be thanking our wise and all knowing government for keeping us shooters and the general population safe by only allowing us to have 5 rounds.
    As usual the only thought the PTB put into this was how can we f**k it up for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

judestynes wrote: »
    This 5 rounds malarky, is this an EU or an Irish reg? If it's EU wide then manufacturers may put products on the market to facilitate that market but if it's just Ireland they wont

It's an Irish thing. The powers that be mustn't have looked at the types of pistol competitions being shot in Ireland or if they did, then they set out to screw things up for us on purpose.

They saw that Olympic pistol comps used 5 rounds so they ignored the fact that what most of us compete in involves strings of 6 shots (t&p, multi-target etc.) and decided that 5 rounds was enough for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

solarwinds wrote: »
    As usual the only thought the PTB put into this was how can we f**k it up for everyone.

More like Fuddism and vested interests on our side doing it for us all again.:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's an Irish thing. The powers that be mustn't have looked at the types of pistol competitions being shot in Ireland or if they did, then they set out to screw things up for us on purpose.

They saw that Olympic pistol comps used 5 rounds so they ignored the fact that what most of us compete in involves strings of 6 shots (t&p, multi-target etc.) and decided that 5 rounds was enough for us.
    Are 5 shot revolvers or 5 shot magazine available commercially though? Why only liscence a product that isn't available to buy.

• Advertisement

Are 5 shot revolvers or 5 shot magazine available commercially though? Why only liscence a product that isn't available to buy.

5 round .22lr revolvers are manufactured but the vast majority of revolvers are 6 rounds or more. There are a good few pistols that have 5 round magazines (especially ones designed for the Olympics) but the vast majority of .22 pistols would have 10 round magazines.

But what the fcuk good is a 5 round revolver when the course of fire is 6 rounds. Same with an Olympic stype pistol such as a Walther SSP which is a state of the art target pistol but isn't worth a fidlers fcuk here when doing t&p or multi-target and many other 6 string competitions. Pure stupidity.

Presumably when writing new legislation in anything the government get input from experts in that particular field like changes in construction legislation they'd get advice from engineers or builders or medicine from doctors. Who advises them in relation to firearms? Can't just be the gards.

Presumably when writing new legislation in anything the government get input from experts in that particular field like changes in construction legislation they'd get advice from engineers or builders or medicine from doctors. Who advises them in relation to firearms? Can't just be the gards.

They seem to get their info from Google.

They seem to get their info from Google.
    If that were true we'd have bazooka's lol.

If that were true we'd have bazooka's lol.

I can't remember exactly and I'm sure Grizzly or one of the guys will be able to tell you but I think one Government expert gave evidence and said a rifle is dangerous out to 5 miles. Must be some rifle.

They seem to get their info from Marvel Comics.

FIFY.

I can't remember exactly and I'm sure Grizzly or one of the guys will be able to tell you but I think one Government expert gave evidence and said a rifle is dangerous out to 5 miles. Must be some rifle.

Also, and it might just have been the same Einstein of Firearms, a comment was made that the .303 was FAR too accurate to be allowed in the hands of civilians...

You'd be hard-pressed to make it up.

Did this "expert" quantify their statement expresiing what kind of rifle. What calibre, propellent, load, bullet weight all these unimportant things us non experts know nothing about?

Did this "expert" quantify their statement expresiing what kind of rifle. What calibre, propellent, load, bullet weight all these unimportant things us non experts know nothing about?

I'll let someone else answer that one as I don't rightly know but I doubt it.

I think one of our experts did a weekend course in a college in Scotland.

• Advertisement

Did this "expert" quantify their statem
    ent expresiing what kind of rifle. What calibre, propellent, load, bullet weight all these unimportant things us non experts know nothing about?

IIRC the expert was talking about the common or garden .308Win.

Advertisement