Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More than 5 rounds....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

tac foley wrote: »
    IIRC the expert was talking about the common or garden .308Win.

Goes 5 miles??? Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,951 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I can't remember exactly and I'm sure Grizzly or one of the guys will be able to tell you but I think one Government expert gave evidence and said a rifle is dangerous out to 5 miles. Must be some rifle.

There have been a few comedians like that in courts and spewing their BS on Irish MSM as well. The comedian that said that was from the Irish officer corps, who has /had set him up quite comfortably as "technical advisor" to RTE and the Irish Times as well as a teaching job in one of Dublin's tech schools /colleges on all things military related.
    I dunno what or who he was commanding in the Irish army, maybe he was OC in digging latrine pits or Hesco/sandbag filling? But he knew Jack sht about firearms in one hatchet job on shooting in prime time investigates back in 07. Then when he realised what sort of damage he did to his reputation, he wrote an article in the IT on how good shooting really is in Ireland.

"Inspector Google" was the nickname given to the then AGS ballistic expert. Not by us shooters mind! But by his own dept and the DOJ!
    So yes in a way Battle corp was spot on !. This is the expert who was ......No! I just can't mention some of the stuff and incidents in courts across the land that I both witnessed, experienced, and heard about. Especially when he was facing his mentor and trainer in ballistics in the witness box.If it weren't so serious, it was the stuff of Father Ted episodes.
    I think one of our experts did a weekend course in a college in Scotland.

Yup.Inspector Google's apprentice and current man in charge? in the AGS ballistics dept.Got a degree in either engineering or technical studies and this weekend course off some Scottish university.[Edinburgh or Dundee methinks]Compared to what most EU ballistics experts working for the police have..Things like doctorates, masters ten plus years experiance working in the arms industries and proof houses etc...

Still, he was the good fellah that stated in his expert opinion, that the EU directives on noise abatement, and shooting in valleys where the shot will echo multiple times and spook livestock,is good enough reason to grant a .308 silencer to me. So I can't write him off completely.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Zxthinger

solarwinds wrote: »
    As usual the only thought the PTB put into this was how can we f**k it up for everyone.
    It's seems that's their plan alright.

Also, and it might just have been the same Einstein of Firearms, a comment was made that the .303 was FAR too accurate to be allowed in the hands of civilians...

You'd be hard-pressed to make it up.
    Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Sika98k

They seem to get their info from Google.

And the movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

I don't understand this when our defence forces have competent armourer's well capable of giving insightful and pertinent evidence in court.

One of us posters here is in that position,and I'm sure he'll tell his story one day,as to what kind of dirty tricks were pulled on him for being in that position as both a gun owner and for trying to go as an independent witness for gun owners by AGS.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

I can't remember exactly and I'm sure Grizzly or one of the guys will be able to tell you but I think one Government expert gave evidence and said a rifle is dangerous out to 5 miles. Must be some rifle.

5 miles is 8km.. for comparison the max range of the Defence Forces 120mm Ruag Mortar is 7.5km..

so ive no idea what kind of “rifle” this “ expert “ is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

GolfVI wrote: »
    5 miles is 8km.. for comparison the max range of the Defence Forces 120mm Ruag Mortar is 7.5km..

We said already - the actual rifle was not mentioned, just the calibre - .308Win.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

We said already - the actual rifle was not mentioned, just the calibre - .308Win.

Must have been fired out of one of hitlers rail guns so

• Advertisement

Maybe someone more advanced than I could include a pole upon which we could vote on some of the law that we would like to see changed.
    The we could quote percentages at political puppets and make statements that 97% of shooters agree that air rifle laws need to be relaxed as the sport is being stifled.

Seriously though these posts just turn into sessions of mad posts.

Air rifles need to be given some consesions thereby allow civilian shooters to actually have, dare I say it, fun..

Air rifles are nearly a completely different branch of shooting. Let us have some degree of modern freedom by reducing the shackles of standard licensing protocol which severs to curtail the free trade in these "5mile guns" and leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

I suppose this would be possible if you pointed your 308 at a 45 degree angle into the air. Not that you'd be able to hit anything accurately.

Dropping a rock from a helicopter at a height would be far more lethal if it hit anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

As a member of an Garda Siochana firearms bureau, based on my knowledge of firearms, I can categorically state that the firearm weapon in that picture is a .22lr.*

*May not actually be a member of An Garda Siochana.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I suppose this would be possible if you pointed your 308 at a 45 degree angle into the air. Not that you'd be able to hit anything accurately.

Technically the Garda is right. The .308 bullet can easily go 5 miles........ If you fire it in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

As a member of an Garda Siochana firearms bureau, based on my knowledge of firearms, I can categorically state that the firearm weapon in that picture is a .22lr.*

*May not actually be a member of An Garda Siochana.

And it has a magazine capacity of less than 5 rounds, a barrel longer than 4". Happy days I expect good news from my application.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Can't have more than 5 rounds so put one up the spout and 5 in the mag for a t&P, multi etc.as you go on the line ? Are they insane ?

A holstered gun with a round chambered. Jeez what could go wrong there...

Just as well anyone with common sense won't do that but can still fire a course :rolleyes:

Must have been fired out of one of Hitler's rail guns so

The Nazis "Dora" or "Big Gustav" gun in the pic. Only needed to fire.
    A 500 man crew to fire it.1,500 man crew to disassemble, move, reassemble, on a special train of 25 cars on double railway tracks at its new position, and about a month of work to get it ready to fire. 250 shots and the barrel is kaputt,and needed replacement.
    But it could lob a 7metric ton AP/HE shell 40 kilometres that could go thru 8meters of re-enforced concrete combined with 1meter re-enforced armour plate. The Germans only needed 47 shots to reduce the Crimean fortress peninsula along with the city of Sevastopol to an utter ruin within 6weeks.

Utterly trifling firepower altogether compared to the "Irish 308":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Must have been fired out of one of Hitler's rail guns so

The Nazis "Dora" or "Big Gustav" gun in the pic. Only needed to fire.
    A 500 man crew to fire it.1,500 man crew to disassemble, move, reassemble, on a special train of 25 cars on double railway tracks at its new position, and about a month of work to get it ready to fire. 250 shots and the barrel is kaputt,and needed replacement.
    But it could lob a 7metric ton AP/HE shell 40 kilometres that could go thru 8meters of re-enforced concrete combined with 1meter re-enforced armour plate. The Germans only needed 47 shots to reduce the Crimean fortress peninsula along with the city of Sevastopol to an utter ruin within 6weeks.

Utterly trifling firepower altogether compared to the "Irish 308":rolleyes:
    Not 308 you mean 303 lazer rounds surely.

Advertisement