Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To all the hard working Migrants on Xmas Day - thank you

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Yeah mate its so fresh you memorized and quoted all of it.

Eat my ass shorts.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Omackeral wrote: »
    I actually have gone back through your posts for the giggles and you are indeed a scholar. I retract my precious statements such is the profundity of your viewpoints.

Deep.

So to speak.

‘No actual reply. Let me quote your post history instead’

LOL strawmanchild

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Its an umbrella term. The one ‘’conservatives’ here are referring to is immigration, meanwhile it can also mean modes of economy, political ideology, languages, pluralism, religion, syncretism etc etc etc.

In other words, its the default state of humanity. To say that its bad while speaking the english language, while wearing a bangladeshi t shirt then drinking heineken with the lads is why im pointing out the myopic view of the people here. Ireland would be clans picking off gourds from Blathnaids farm like that isolated tribe in madagascar if it werent for cultural exchange

Do you live on Sesame Street or what ?

Do you live on Sesame Street or what ?

Dundrum. Why? No actual reply?

strawmanchild

Was that a word of the day from one of your favourite bloggers?

• Advertisement

Dundrum. Why? No actual reply?

My reply is that your failed attempt at a definition was vague, wooly-woofter nonsense, upon which no sane society would make actual immigration policy.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Was that a word of the day from one of your favourite bloggers?

Portmanteau of strawman and manchild.

My reply is that your failed attempt at a definition was vague, wooly-woofter nonsense, upon which no sane society would make actual immigration policy.

When did i say that? You asked me the definition of multiculturalism. I replied with a precise one.

Youre still thinking multiculturalism means immigration when you can have one without the other. And multiculturalism means a lot of other things.

This is pretty simple.

When did i say that? You asked me the definition of multiculturalism. I replied with a precise one.

Youre still thinking multiculturalism means immigration when you can have one without the other. And multiculturalism means a lot of other things.

This is pretty simple.

Conflating multiculturalism with cultural exchange is not precise.

Secondly, trying to downplay the huge importance of immigration in relation to multiculturalism is one thing. Doing it in a thread that is about 'Migrants', is a bit much.

Thirdly, in the real world where people are using the term in a non-theoretical way, to discuss eg social policy, and mistakes that have been made around the multi-cultural approach to it, it means something completely and totally different to anything you have referenced.

Conflating multiculturalism with cultural exchange is not precise.

Secondly, trying to downplay the huge importance of immigration in relation to multiculturalism is one thing. Doing it in a thread that is about 'Migrants', is a bit much.

Thirdly, in the real world where people are using the term in a non-theoretical way, to discuss eg social policy, and mistakes that have been made around the multi-cultural approach to it, it means something completely and totally different to anything you have referenced.

Its not ‘conflating’. One is a facet of the other.

If you dont like sociological terms, why use it?

Just admit you hate brown people, that’d get your point across clearer than watching you stumble over terms you clearly dont know.

• Advertisement

Its not ‘conflating’. One is a facet of the other.

Just admit you hate brown people, that’d get your point across clearer than watching you stumble over terms you clearly dont know.

You want to reduce it to a sociological term, but on that you are patently wrong.

It's very clear that you are the one who doesn't know what the word means, when it is used by people in power, like Merkel, Cameron et al.

They have not used it a sociological explanation of 'how things are and have always been'.

They use it to describe a political programme. One which has failed.

That is a far more important use of the word than your schoolbooks, and you are completely unaware of it.

You want to reduce it to a sociological term, but on that you are patently wrong.

It's very clear that you are the one who doesn't know what the word means, when it is used by people in power, like Merkel, Cameron et al.

They have not used it a sociological explanation of 'how things are and have always been'.

They use it to describe a political programme. One which has failed.

That is a far more important use of the word than your schoolbooks, and you are completely unaware of it.

? You could simply say immigration. Theres no need for reductionism, just say the correct term. Im using the term as textbook accurate as possible because thats how debates and dialogue happen. Otherwise its just a screaming contest.

Ive disambiguated everything so far, and im wondering if i should just answer your side for you.

Tbh, unmitigated immigration is no doubt bad for a multitude of reasons.

But multiculturalism isnt inherently bad. Unless you wanna live in a hut without internet or electricity, gathering berries for the rest of your life.

Thousands of years of multiculturalism is what led up to us talking over DARPAnet, using english, about a nation using the nordic economic model.

The predictable smear tactic of calling people racist is really a very dangerous road to go down, and should not be unchallenged.

For anyone who wants to see the serious consequences of such dishonesty, look at the experiences of the Labour MP Ann Cryer, when she tried to raise the issue of grooming in Rotherham.

? You could simply say immigration.

No, that is absolutely incorrect.

Cut to the chase here.

What do Merkel and Cameron mean by using the term ?

Cut to the chase here.

What do Merkel and Cameron mean by using the term ?

‘Mate’ ive disambiguated everything. They and you both mean mass immigration.

Meanwhile im saying multiculturalism means a bunch of other things, vast majority of which are beneficial.

‘Mate’ ive disambiguated everything. They and you both mean mass immigration.

Meanwhile im saying multiculturalism means a bunch of other things, vast majority of which are beneficial.

You have disambiguated nothing, by your very narrow insistence of it being a sociological term.

You said -

You have completely ignored the fact that it is also a political philosophy term. You seem oblivious to that.

It disambiguates nothing to say that multiculturalism means mass-immigration to me or anyone else.

One is an approach to the other. Which has failed.

You have disambiguated nothing, by your very narrow insistence of it being a sociological term.

You said -

You have completely ignored the fact that it is also a political philosophy term. You seem oblivious to that.

It disambiguates nothing to say that multiculturalism means mass-immigration to me or anyone else.

One is an approach to the other. Which has failed.

? Not a refutation

http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780195396577/obo-9780195396577-0361.xml

‘Multiculturalism is actually an umbrella term that covers a number of distinct subliteratures‘

Funny how sociology and anthropology is useless academia but philosophy isnt lol.

Arguing with strawmen i guess

? Not a refutation

http://www.oxfordbibliographies.com/view/document/obo-9780195396577/obo-9780195396577-0361.xml

‘Multiculturalism is actually an umbrella term that covers a number of distinct subliteratures‘

So, not just a sociological term then, as we already knew.

What does your online dictionary say about it from a political philosophy point of view ?

Funny how sociology and anthropology is useless academia but philosophy isnt lol.

Arguing with strawmen i guess

What's your obsession with straw ? Are you a donkey or what ?

Don't answer that.

• Advertisement

What's your obsession with straw ? Are you a donkey ?

Don't answer that.

Nothing. Just pointing out cognitive dissonance in your context and arguments

So, not just a sociological term then, as we already knew.

What does your online dictionary say about it from a political philosophy point of view ?

I wanna know what YOU think it means.

Cause i was just enjoying a cup of Cappuccino (Italian) while watching Transpotting 2 (Scottish) and wondering why this guy hates other cultures so much lol

Its the only form of "personal abuse" that is acceptable here on boards, so it seems.

Call someone a pŕick and you'll get a ban.

‘Im not racist. Also deport all brown people’

?

The predictable smear tactic of calling people racist is really a very dangerous road to go down, and should not be unchallenged.

A trend I've noticed is that the term "brown people" is only ever used by so-called liberal people on here. I don't think I've really seen anyone ever straight up say "I don't like brown people". Maybe one or two assholes ever but none who have lasted on this site.

I wanna know what YOU think it means.

Because you don't know yourself, although I already asked you.

Do you no harm to research it, surely ?

Anyway, despite your disgusting inferences in relation to 'brown people', here are a few words from Trevor Phillips - I suggest strongly that you inform yourself about who he is.
    In 2004 Trevor Phillips, chairman of the the Commission for Racial Equality - now the Equality and Human Rights Commission - told the Times that multiculturalism was out of date because it "suggests separateness" and should be replaced with policies which promote integration and "assert a core of Britishness".

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-12381027

Note the word 'policies', underlined. The real world of decisions that affect other people.

Merkel and Cameron I've already referenced in the thread.

A stark example from two Labour MP's of how multi-culturalism has FAILED. I don't think it has to do with not enough lettuce in the doner.

First, here is a Labour MP on the Rotherham scandal -
    Last week, Denis MacShane, the former MP for Rotherham, admitted he might have not done enough about child sexual exploitation by Asian men in his constituency because he was a "Guardian-reading liberal leftie".

"I think there was a culture of not wanting to rock the multicultural community boat, if I may put it like that." Last week, he said Cryer did what others should have had the courage to do.

The Cryer here is Ann Cryer, former MP for Keighley
    In 2002, when she was Labour MP for Keighley, Cryer became the first public figure in Britain to talk out about allegations of "young Asian lads" grooming underage white girls in the West Yorkshire town. As a result, she was shunned by elements of her party, a panic button was installed in her house and Nick Griffin stood against her for the far-right British National party (BNP), claiming that she was not doing enough to protect young white girls.
    Cryer is adamant that she can't have been the only politician to have heard such stories. "There must have been councillors and MPs, I think, all over the country who knew what was going on but were terrified. It's a genuine fear, to be terrified of being labelled a racist. No one wants to be called a racist, least of all someone who isn't a racist."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/aug/30/rotherham-girls-could-have-been-spared-ann-cryer

Cause i was just enjoying a cup of Cappuccino (Italian) while watching Transpotting 2 (Scottish) and wondering why this guy hates other cultures so much lol

There is more beneficial culture in my yogurt than there is in your life, QED.

But who from my personal collection of world music shall I name-drop here as though it were in any way relevant... LOL

Ali Farka Toure (Mali) ? Ibrahim Ferrer (Cuba) ? Jacques Brel (France) ? Paolo Conte (Italy) ?

Perhaps I might settle down to watch a DVD from my collection -Andrzej Wajda's (Poland) Krajobraz Po Bitwa maybe, or Ziemia Obiecana ? What about Federico Fellini's (Italy) Amarcord.

Maybe I'll just re-listen to John Coltrane's (USA) Giant Steps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Thanks to all the migrants who worked on xmas day, especially all the Muslims who never celebrated xmas in their lives and have no intention of ever doing so. It must have been really hard for you, especially on a Monday. If it wasn't for Muslim migrants we'd probably have to cancel xmas altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Thanks to all the workers who worked on xmas, migrant or non-migrant, because of you I was able to buy fags on xmas day.

The working class revolution is just around the corner, all power to the soviets & workers councils!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

AllForIt wrote: »
    Thanks to all the migrants who worked on xmas day, especially all the Muslims who never celebrated xmas in their lives and have no intention of ever doing so. It must have been really hard for you, especially on a Monday. If it wasn't for Muslim migrants we'd probably have to cancel xmas altogether.

Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,347 ✭✭✭AllForIt

magentis wrote: »
    Monday?

Always loose track of what day it is this time of year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement