Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To all the hard working Migrants on Xmas Day - thank you

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To all the hard-working Paddys who built up England - thank you. Subtext: Those lazy English bastards would be lost without you.

Yeah, that's about the jist of this stupidity. You could have just thanked everybody, but you chose to make some affected right-on r point. I once worked any Christmas Day I was offered as it was better money. And i got quadruple pay for working overnight in NYE 1999/2000. Why I deserve special thanks for that I don't know - but it seems clear from this thread title that I don't actually deserve special thanks at all. Why? Because I'm not a "migrant". Jesus. How to oppose discrimination by supporting it. Embarrassing stuff.
    Nail on the head.
    sk8erboii wrote: »
    Youre saying its not?
    Oh its a great idea, but one that in practice at a certain level turns out to be not so great.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nail on the head.

Oh its a great idea, but one that in practice at a certain level turns out to be not so great.

Yeah i really hate speaking (Language derived from Germanic dialect) during (Holiday derived from Christian tradition) while watching (American Movie) on my (Korean UHD TV) with my (Extended family from France, America and Spain) after singing (Traditional Irish and German Folk songs)

Multiculturalism is so sh*t honestly, cant see how it benefits society at all.

We should all go back to the grey insular days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Yad swear they were working for charity. Probably getting paid triple time.
    Just the Irish workers? And perhaps they're not getting triple time, and would prefer to be with their families?
    Try_harder wrote: »
    Virtue Signalling the gammons go to expression
    Then says "gammon" - the irony. Who's Jan? Are you going to answer this time?

Thanks to all working today - in particular those who celebrate Christmas but have to go to work, some jobs being very tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yeah i really hate speaking (Language derived from Germanic dialect) during (Holiday derived from Christian tradition) while watching (American Movie) on my (Korean UHD TV) with my (Extended family from France, America and Spain) after singing (Traditional Irish and German Folk songs)

A multicultural telly? Who knew, its a bad day u dont learn something!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

fatknacker wrote: »
    There was an Irish person working in my local shop today. I purchased cream and whipped cream then gave out to her for stealing migrant's jobs from them as I walked out the door.

Did you smear the whipped cream all over your prone naked body ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

In work we have plenty of Indian, Chinese, Japanese and a couple of Pakis and they were all happy to wish a happy Christmas to us despite the fact they don't celebrate it themselves. I think they enjoy the celebrations leading up to the 25th as much as I do to be honest

enricoh wrote: »
    A multicultural telly? Who knew, its a bad day u dont learn something!

Is there an Irish television brand?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You do understand(hope springs...) that there exists a difference between cultural exchange and population migration?

Oh and by the by everything you noted there is European in origin and/or culture. Yep including your Korean telly. Take Europe and its colonies out of the mix and chances are extremely high there wouldn't even be tellies for Koreans to make. The progressiveness you spout comes from the same source, as does the majority of tech, fashion and wider culture. It's an accident of history and geography and a few thousand years ago it would have been the Middle East, Greece and China but since the enlightenment it is what it is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Is there an Irish television brand?

Ferguson lol

You do understand(hope springs...) that there exists a difference between cultural exchange and population migration?

Oh and by the by everything you noted there is European in origin and/or culture. Yep including your Korean telly. Take Europe and its colonies out of the mix and chances are extremely high there wouldn't even be tellies for Koreans to make. The progressiveness you spout comes from the same source, as does the majority of tech, fashion and wider culture. It's an accident of history and geography and a few thousand years ago it would have been the Middle East, Greece and China but since the enlightenment it is what it is.

So youre saying multiculturalism is good?

• Advertisement

DellyBelly wrote: »
    a couple of Pakis
    eh...

nthclare wrote: »
    Ferguson lol

UK tho

So youre saying multiculturalism is good?
    So you're saying a particular type of multiculturalism is good? You wrote what you wrote. You didn't address my first question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

nthclare wrote: »
    Ferguson lol

T. O'Shiba?

So you're saying a particular type of multiculturalism is good? You wrote what you wrote.

Im glad we agree that multiculturalism is good. As you pointed out Europe is Full of cultural syncretism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

DellyBelly wrote: »
    In work we have plenty of Indian, Chinese, Japanese and a couple of Pakis and they were all happy to wish a happy Christmas to us despite the fact they don't celebrate it themselves. I think they enjoy the celebrations leading up to the 25th as much as I do to be honest
    Don't think you're supposed to call them that. If you were in the UK you'd be in right trouble. Over there it's like calling a black american an N-word.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Try_harder wrote: »
    Im very relaxed. Xmas is about spreading love and joy and peace to all mankind after all

Some guy was nailed to a cross for saying stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

rgodard80a wrote: »
    Some guy was nailed to a cross for saying stuff like that.
    It's grand though. He came back to life after three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Im glad we agree that multiculturalism is good. As you pointed out Europe is Full of cultural syncretism

Effective integration might be "not bad". I fail to see the upside of multi culturism especially when it's often ineffective and widely rejected.

rgodard80a wrote: »
    Effective integration might be "not bad". I fail to see the upside of multi culturism especially when it's often ineffective and widely rejected.

What language are we speaking in?

• Advertisement

Im glad we agree that multiculturalism is good.
    Again you're avoiding my question, wilfully or from ignorance it's hard to gauge.
    As you pointed out Europe is Full of cultural syncretism
    Indeed, so is it only European origin "multiculturalism" you're OK with? Seems to be the case.
    What language are we speaking in?
    English, yet another European cultural import. One that was "imported" on the back of an armed invasion. That cool with you too?

Again you're avoiding my question, wilfully or from ignorance it's hard to gauge. Indeed, so is it only European origin "multiculturalism" you're OK with? Seems to be the case.

English, yet another European cultural import. One that was "imported" on the back of an armed invasion. That cool with you too?

This lad’s off his meds.

Me: Multiculturalism is good because it makes life interesting. We borrow many things from Europe, a place full of culture, including languages, traditions, and art.
    You: WTF BRO ARMED INVASION. EUROPE IS ONE CULTURE. THE CHINESE FORGOT TO ADD THE SWEET N SOUR SAUCE

This lad’s off his meds.

Me: Multiculturalism is good because it makes life interesting. We borrow many things from Europe, a place full of culture, including languages, traditions, and art.
    You: WTF BRO ARMED INVASION. EUROPE IS ONE CULTURE. THE CHINESE FORGOT TO ADD THE SWEET N SOUR SAUCE
    So you won't answer then? OK. Again; is it only European origin "multiculturalism" you're OK with?

So you won't answer then? OK. Again; is it only European origin "multiculturalism" you're OK with?

Mate can you not read context?
    Any beneficial cultural exchange is beneficial. Love chinese takeaway, canadian jackets and south american cocktails.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

Any beneficial cultural exchange is beneficial. Love chinese takeaway, canadian jackets and south american cocktails.

And if a million Sao Paolo barmen come with that it would still be good ?

No chance.

You are confusing - deliberately or otherwise - cultural influences from elsewhere and mass multiculturalism which rarely if ever ends well for the indigenous population.

And if a million Sao Paolo barmen come with that it would still be good ?

No chance.

You are confusing - deliberately or otherwise - cultural influences from elsewhere and mass multiculturalism which rarely if ever ends well for the indigenous population.

‘Too much of a thing is too much’

You dont say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Multiculturalism, and beneficial cultural exchange, are mutually exclusive terms.

Multiculturalism, and beneficial cultural exchange, are mutually exclusive terms.

Cultural exchange is a type of multiculturalism. The proper sociological term is ‘Cultural pluralism’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Cultural exchange is a type of multiculturalism. The proper sociological term is ‘Cultural pluralism’

But when Merkel or Cameron, erstwhile cheerleaders for 'multiculturalism', give up on it, and say it has failed then we know in what sense they are using the term, do we not ?

eg
    Attempts to build a multicultural society in Germany have "utterly failed", Chancellor Angela Merkel says.

She said the so-called "multikulti" concept - where people would "live side-by-side" happily - did not work, and immigrants needed to do more to integrate - including learning German.

- Angela Merkel, 2010

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-11559451

"Multiculturalism leads to parallel societies and therefore remains a ‘life lie,’ ”
    - Angela Merkel, 2015

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.106baba217af

David Cameron has criticised "state multiculturalism" in his first speech as prime minister on radicalisation and the causes of terrorism.... Frankly, we need a lot less of the passive tolerance of recent years and much more active, muscular liberalism," the prime minister said.
    - David Cameron, 2011

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-12371994

• Advertisement

But when Merkel or Cameron, erstwhile cheerleaders for 'multiculturalism', give up on it, and say it has failed then we know in what sense they are using the term, do we not ?

eg

- Angela Merkel, 2010

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-11559451

- Angela Merkel, 2015

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.106baba217af

- David Cameron, 2011

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-12371994

Whoa. Its almost as if politcians arent really sociologist or anything..

Advertisement