Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1bn cost overrun for new Children's Hospital

Options
1363738394042»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Shock someone bursts a pipe while constructing a building.

Happens every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I’m inclined to think there are are plenty of reasons to be annoyed over this project and BAM but not sure hitting a water mains in another hospital is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Were they digging the hole with a crane?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Odelay

steves2 wrote: »
    BAM cut the water off in Tallaght Hospital last week by accident while digging, apparently didn't have a Banksman present while doing the work. It nearly closed the hospital down. These clowns are inept and yet the incompetence of the tendering process all across the Children's Hospital sites lets them claim for extra costs.

Hey, I went looking for a source for your complaint, is this it?

https://www.impartialreporter.com/news/national/15919677.burst-water-main-forces-four-hospitals-to-cancel-operations/

Were you getting the information from Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

steves2 wrote: »
    So they're doing a great job you think?

Haven't inspected their work or verified your particular claim - so I couldn't possibly say.

The thing is, I doubt you could either TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I think the taxpayer already knows that this project will be another expensive disaster due to bad planning and negotiation.
    At the same time, the government should be giving regular updates on the costs in order to focus the civil servants on getting value for money
    and managing it tightly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/official-quits-as-national-childrens-hospital-costs-spiral-958558.html
    The State’s chief procurement officer, who failed to flag the spiralling costs of the National Children’s Hospital with the Government, has resigned from the hospital development board.

The shock resignation comes as Taoiseach Leo Varadkar signalled in a letter to Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin that there may be more overspending on the hospital.

The project is already €455m over budget and the cost looks set to rise further as contractors involved have submitted numerous claims.
    The board, as of August, was still awaiting a final figure for the circa €2bn project from developers BAM and that the HSE was still working off an estimate.

Clueless.

Advertisement