Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has ignoring red lights gotten a lot worse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

Sounds like BS.

Why did they have to turn off the camera?

They could have left the camera on, and used the information for their own safety controls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not sure which trial is being talked about, but the first result on a google shows 1,300 detections, 747 which sent for prosecution, and 411 which were by cyclists.

https://www.thejournal.ie/luas-red-lights-4501812-Feb2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭ARX

What the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's amazing how many people on the Irish internet have been hit by speeding cyclists on footpaths and then subjected to all kinds of abuse.

A while back some idiot on Twitter had such a story saying it was his girlfriend, I then clicked on his profile and he was commenting elsewhere saying it was his grandmother who was hit by the cyclists. I called him out and he blocked me. I don't believe any of these bullsh*t stories tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Shouldn't be paying a garda anything - this is the stuff that can either be automated or done by civilians (or a combination of both). There seems to be no will to make use of camera/ ANPR technology in this state. Even leaving aside speeding (no idea why we've so few vans), red lights, yellow boxes, tax, insurance, nct etc. etc.

• Advertisement

So the camera wasn't switched off.

"The camera was introduced as a pilot measure in June 2015 at the junction where the Luas red line crosses Blackhall Place in Dublin. The National Transport Authority (NTA) confirmed yesterday that the trial ended in December that year. The camera has been running but not used for enforcement."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Have you lost sight of the important issue here? The issue is that so many drivers were breaking red lights at this one junction that Gardai couldn't keep up with prosecutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭blackbox

Ignoring red lights has always been an issue since I started driving 40+ years ago.

If there was no "grace period" on red and you knew the other light went green at the same time yours went red, people might be more careful. The "grace period" is the amber light.

The alternative is proper enforcement - i.e. cameras.

Also, the amount of people who cross the white line is amazing. They seem to think it's OK to go a metre or two further. Again, cameras are the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The standard of driving has gotten a lot worse... ive just finished a 35 minute journey as a passenger through heavy traffic.... and its a sea of cùntsville idiocy out there... just so must impatient, crap, careless, dangerous and illegal driving......

Some fùcking toolbag in a taxi who presumably got a fare over the radio or phone and trying to crash his way into our lane .. we physically cant move as traffic is bumper to bumper but hes pointing and roaring through his open window... the car doesnt have an invisable mode prick you driving AT us and stopping inches short of us....thick cùnt... car behind us left him sitting there too and blasted him out of it.....

People who disregard red lights usually dont care about disregarding the rest of the rules

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ten minutes ago i had someone driving in front and to the left of me in a bus lane (illegally), swing out in front of me without indicating, so they could swing left into their driveway. the amazing thing is you'd think by now they'd have learned how to pull into their own driveway without trying to cause a crash i beeped at them and they seemed taken aback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I know relatively speaking, those people that can’t stop correctly at a stop line and have to straddle it instead, aren’t as dangerous as the ones that just blast on through on red, but it still boils my piss when I see it. Especially when it’s accompanied (as it usually is) by the constant creep forward, starting already halfway over the line, trying to anticipate the green, because they’re just that f***ing important that they can’t sit still for a couple of seconds and pull away when the light actually changes.

I mean, how **** a standard of driving do you want to show the world you’ve got 😡

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Did they ever reset the phases that they introduced to prevent pedestrian build up during the co-vid lockdowns?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There is scope for automated enforcement in a variety of areas, but red lights has to be one of the most straightforward applications and should have been done years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

No they didnt, Hanlons corner is a bloody pain to get through at certain times of the day and there's several places elsewhere where the lights are green for as little as 10 to 15 seconds before going red for another 2min. This is exactly the kind of passive aggressive engineering thats led to an increase in red light running as drivers patience runs out along with a lack of proper sequencing with neighbouring light sequences.

Personally I wish I could move out of Dublin to somewhere less crowded its a bloody mess these days and sadly public transport isnt a reliable option for me due to shift work.

Maybe if you could ask drivers to just put their phones away, they might notice when the lights have gone green, instead of taking 10-20 seconds later?

This is exactly the kind of passive aggressive engineering thats led to an increase in red light running as drivers patience runs out along with a lack of proper sequencing with neighbouring light sequences.

i see eye wateringly late red light jumping at junctions where pedestrian light timing is not an issue. people do it simply because they get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭Macy0161

For decades motorists have blamed the sequences for red light jumping. It's one of the vicious circle things though - sequences are as they are due to all the red light jumping...

Anyway, Red Light Cameras already - just have a box at every junction and randomly rotate the camera's.

Can't come too soon.

Just be prepared for a flurry of nonsense whingy discussion items from Pat Kenny and others bemoaning the further oppression of the "hard pressed motorist" who is "just trying to get home" (Yes, he has previously used that exact phrasing in relation to taxi drivers driving 60-80kph down the quays of Dublin at weekend nights !)

The volume of such discussion items is probably directly linked to why we still don't have it after all this time.

• Advertisement

No problem having RL cameras, just put the phasing of the lights back to how they were, after all, people complain about exhaust fumes as being a big problem but insist on making vehicles wait at lights for longer periods idling.

I used to make use of the stop/start function on my car, now I switch it off in "traffic light" dense areas to enable quicker get aways on shorter green sequences

i’d say it’s pretty safe to say that phone distraction and general inattentiveness at the lights accounts for much more delay than engine auto stop-start systems ever will. Seems a bit misguided to switch it off- just leave it on and be a bit kinder to the planet and those around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, it's insane the amount of drivers that have their heads stuck in their phones when the lights go green.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Phones play a huge part. Sometimes I like to walk by traffic and count how many drivers I can see with their phone out for an aul scroll it's always a very high percentage of the total and surprisingly or maybe not its not always the younger drivers who are the worst offenders.

Well I'd say your wrong, in my experience it's the time taken for a start/stop system to resume. Especially if it engages just as the lights change to green that holds me up, reset the traffic light sequencing to pre CoVid timings, simple

Have you spoken to the dealer about this apparently unfit for purpose equipment you bought?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why? Traffic issues should not be a reason to alter the sequence in a way that de-prioritises pedestrians.

If traffic (which you are part of) is too heavy for the junction then change your route or change your method of travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'm all for prioritizing pedestrians but some of the changes made were stupid.

Busy junction and green light for a few seconds, barely enough time to get 3 or 4 cars through even with all cars taking off straight away, the traffic is created by the changing lights as every change results in a certain amount of dead/inactive time for the junction, the more changes the more inactive time when no traffic/pedestrians are getting through junction.

Cycling pedestrian lights at a junction even when no pedestrian has pressed the button, whats the reason for that.

I'm all for red light cameras though. If system is automated it really shouldn't take much resources. Camera and software detects someone breaking red, send the fine automatically with pictures or link to footage. Let the person appeal if they want and it only needs review then.

Maybe we default the lights to green for pedestrians, and have a little button on a pole for drivers to press when they want to get through? Or maybe a phone app to request a green light, seeing as most of them dive for the phone as soon as they get a red light?

Are pedestrian lights really cycled where no one presses a button? Where have you seen this happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

When you make idiotic arguments I assume you agree with me.

I don't for a moment believe most drivers dive for the phone, there is a lot but the vast majority don't.

On the south quays the junction onto Lombard street, normally has a flashing orange arrow, but I recently approached with no-one around and the light was red for turning right, with green pedestrian lights, OH said it has happened her a few times at that junction too.

Advertisement