Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

klaaaz wrote: »
    It's great to hear of the enormous turnout of local people tonight to help this terrified elderly family who are in their final years, the terror of the violence inflicted on them by the black clad thugs in their own home can have long lasting health consequences for old people, hopefully they will recover from their trauma.

I don’t consider mid 50s to mid 60s elderly.

In order for the business man to owe €177,000 in VAT, his business must have some turnover.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

blanch152 wrote: »
    Ridiculous.

This was a complete conman who took money from a number of banks, never paid them, and owed Revenue nearly half a million.

He then managed to con enough people into storming his farm to take it back. Incredible. They should all be put away.

I agree, if this guy defrauded revenue he should indeed be put away.

Doesn't mean I can't despise the private banking sector and everything it represents, and any claim it makes that anyone in society owes it literally anything at all after all the sh!t it pulled and pain it put us through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Why are heavies of dubious legality being allowed enforce evictions? As long as the government and Gardai continue their see no evil attitude on this problem it's inevitable that dissident republicans and other dirtbags will capitalise on the opportunity to drum up support with vigilantism. I note the government criticisms of the strokestown raid carefully avoided any comment on the hired muscle enforcing the eviction.

Ridiculous.

This was a complete conman who took money from a number of banks, never paid them, and owed Revenue nearly half a million.

He then managed to con enough people into storming his farm to take it back. Incredible. They should all be put away.

Are KBC giving you decent Christmas hours off?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I don't think that has any relevance to whether a bank has the right to turf people out of their homes for not paying debts, or hige private security thugs to help them do so.

People who don't pay revenue should be arrested and tried for that. If it was the revenue who was seizing assets in response to a non payment of tax, I'd have far less to say about it. The private banking sector is rotten to its core and I have absolutely no respect nor sympathy for it.

You will probably be whinging next week about the higher variable rates paid by Irish mortgage holders. Do you not realise that if banks cannot get their hands on the property of the defaulters, they have to charge everyone else more?

• Advertisement

Edz87 wrote: »

You didn't refute a single fact in my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I've heard (reliably) that mortgage was taken in 2004 and not one payment was made since drawdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

368100 wrote: »
    I've heard (reliably) that mortgage was taken in 2004 and not one payment was made since drawdown.

If that's true then thats a bloody awful hill for people to die on

I agree, if this guy defrauded revenue he should indeed be put away.

Doesn't mean I can't despise the private banking sector and everything it represents, and any claim it makes that anyone in society owes it literally anything at all after all the sh!t it pulled and pain it put us through.

The banking system collapsed because people didn't repay their debts. There would never have been a problem with the banks if everyone like your friend in Roscommon had paid back their debts.

One of the biggest problems of the lot was the people's hero Sean Quinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭bb12

Anything about this online? Any streams on Instagram, Twitter, YouTube etc we should be watching to keep updated?

https://www.facebook.com/anna.kavanagh.102

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

You will probably be whinging next week about the higher variable rates paid by Irish mortgage holders. Do you not realise that if banks cannot get their hands on the property of the defaulters, they have to charge everyone else more?

Some people don’t have to worry about mortgages as their house is heavily susidised by the tax payers.

These people don’t feel the pinch by paying a mortgage so don’t care if people don’t pay their debts back.

Ironic ay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

#Ireland Irish police allow 30 ‘security’ thugs from N.Ireland to violently evict 3 elderly people from their home in Roscommon on behalf of a Bank.Later that night 150 locals violently evict 8 of the ‘security’& burn all their vehicles. #FightBack 😎ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Literally any ****e passes for fact on social media nowadays. You should see the replies too.

The odd one has a half a sentence of something vaguely containing a couple of true words. Closest one was that they owed 400k and tried to make payments but kbc said no. No mention that they would take 30 odd years to pay it off the figure they quoted with the one they didn't (1000)

Quoting myself a bit from earlier

"To be honest this whole case highlights the rather large downside to social media which basically seems to replicate and amplify a drunken pub rant into what passes for news and informed discussion"

It's hard to see how this ill informed genie can be coaxed back into its bottle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Anything about this online? Any streams on Instagram, Twitter, YouTube etc we should be watching to keep updated?

https://www.facebook.com/anna.kavanagh.102/videos/10216323508787656/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

Omackeral wrote: »
    They do plenty of good work. Work that takes balls. Not everyone has the bottle to do the job. Easy to talk them down from behind a keyboard. Let me ask, do you face the threat of being slashed across the face every time you go to work? Do you have your family threatened?

Do I have my family threatened? Like McCabe you mean? Take the work glasses off, your organisation is rotten to the core. Gladly debate you in real life if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The banking system collapsed because people didn't repay their debts. There would never have been a problem with the banks if everyone like your friend in Roscommon had paid back their debts.

One of the biggest problems of the lot was the people's hero Sean Quinn.

No it didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Jeff2

bubblypop wrote: »
    Nope. Not the same. Non payment of TV licence & contempt of court are different.
    Completely.
    You really don't know what you are talking about

If after getting fined by the judge for not having a licence and not paying.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

Edz87 wrote: »

I think kbc are getting a raw deal out of this. Have they not sold the debt to Cabot financial

Demanding that individuals pay debts to organisations which had their own debts forgiven on the foot of the Irish taxpayer does imply a hypocritical mindset, though.

Ridiculous nonsense.

There is a value to the public of a functioning banking system. There isn't any value to the State of a serial conman who ripped off Revenue, several banks and local businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

NIMAN wrote: »
    Attack a KBC bank in Dublin with ordinary workers in it, the staff don't deserve that.
    Because the cowards know the bank staff have no protection.

• Administrators Posts: 53,527 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Demanding that individuals pay debts to organisations which had their own debts forgiven on the foot of the Irish taxpayer does imply a hypocritical mindset, though.
    Christ on a bike will you read the fcuking thread?

When did the Irish taxpayer bail out KBC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

KBC wasn't bailed out by the Irish taxpayer.

Jeff2 wrote: »
    If after getting fined by the judge for not having a licence and not paying.?

That's not contempt of court.
    A TV licence inspector summons you to court, where a judge fines you for non payment.
    Nothing to do with contempt of court

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭0cp71eyxkb94qf

368100 wrote: »

I think most right minded people have no problem evicting non-payers, they have an issue with how the matter was handled and responded in kind. Had the debt collectors went about it in a civilised manner and not have been involved in loyalist activity, this would gave been a non-story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

awec wrote: »
    Christ on a bike will you read the fcuking thread?

When did the Irish taxpayer bail out KBC?

Exactly. Look theres a genuine grievance at the banks that were bailed out. Trouble is the mob mentality is directing this anger at the wrong target. This will only discredit people who rightly speak out against it. Its bloody incompetence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Omackeral wrote: »
    With all due respect, you've been talking absolute pony on here. What's ordinary about owing 18,000 to a fellow business man in town? Owing 6 figures in VAT? This isn't owing your ma a score. Cop on.

I'm talking in general terms. So what absolute pony have I been talking?

There are people out there being brought to court for not paying a tv licence yet the bankers who helped destroy this country got away with what they did.

Tensions brewing in the area again tonight.

The 'security firm' are back in the area... Reports saying they are stationed (blockading according to some reports) at either end of the through road where the home is situated, with up to 100 neighbours standing around the home in question. Pretty clear that these guys have no good business in this area in the dark of night, whatever the rights and wrongs of what's happened last week there is an obvious public order 'event' brewing and these lads should be moved on.

Long night ahead in Strokestown....

You are right, those 100 neighbours have no good business hanging around in the dark of night, threatening the legitimate repossession of the farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

The banking system collapsed because people didn't repay their debts.

Sadly your simplistic explanation is not true.

The entire worldwide banking system collapsed as banks were handing out money to every Tom, Dick and Harry.

Sub prime is the term if you wish to Google.

The thing about a worldwide economic depression is many people lose their jobs, this then exacerbates the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

So people are ok with thugs from Northern Ireland physically assaulting people because theres a court order.

I just listened to a neighbour of the family say that one man was kicked to the ground and his teeth were knocked out.

But thats ok because they are law enforcers from Northern Ireland I dont care if they are loyalist or unionist. These people are scum.

These people hate everything Irish they hate our flag our language and our culture we are 2nd class citizens in the eyes of those Thugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Quoting myself a bit from earlier

"To be honest this whole case highlights the rather large downside to social media which basically seems to replicate and amplify a drunken pub rant into what passes for news and informed discussion"

It's hard to see how this ill informed genie can be coaxed back into its bottle.

TBH, its showing both the good and bad sides of social media.

You're correct in saying they there is a lot of rabble rousing and bullsh1t comments on both sides but in truth Ms Kavanagh has done some service highlighting the heavy handedness of the 'security firm' and the overall shady enforcing of the eviction last week.

It's clear she has an agenda, but at the same time without her live Facebook videos this would be swept under the carpet. If only the lads up the road in Castlerea had someone to video them on Facebook 'beating up the Garda', as was the report all over the media last weekend, they would have been better off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

I think most right minded people have no problem evicting non-payers, they have an issue with how the matter was handled and responded in kind. Had the debt collectors went about it in a civilised manner and not have been involved in loyalist activity, this would gave been a non-story.

I agree.....but 14 years later you would have to assume that all the nice debt recovery processes were exhausted, particularly since CCMA came in force.....so its reasonable to think this was last resort. Not a single payment would say to me that they fully intended not to pay it when they took it out

Advertisement