Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strokestown **Mod Note in Post #4461**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭KevRossi

BattleCorp wrote: »

Do you think a local would buy it, lets say in the next 5 years?

Possible, but I don't think so, for the simple reason that there's always decent land for sale in Roscommon and they'd have less clueless PITA's coming up to them ranting at them in the mart, pub or wherever.

I reckon it'll be bought by a large farmer/group in the midlands or the east, they'll put a proper manager on it and run it professionally. If they do, there's plenty of people in Strokestown who'll be happy to do business with them.

If it's split into lots then a few locals might buy bits of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

KevRossi wrote: »
    Possible, but I don't think so, for the simple reason that there's always decent land for sale in Roscommon and they'd have less clueless PITA's coming up to them ranting at them in the mart, pub or wherever.

I reckon it'll be bought by a large farmer/group in the midlands or the east, they'll put a proper manager on it and run it professionally. If they do, there's plenty of people in Strokestown who'll be happy to do business with them.

What big a farm is it acres/hectares wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Fcuked if I'd chance that job to be honest. While I agree that the previous owners might not have the support of all the locals, it's a risky business taking on that land.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Fritzbox

seligehgit wrote: »
    What big a farm is it acres/hectares wise?

If I recall it was around 90-100 acres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/busted-developers-house-hits-market-for-500000-29059181.html

The Hanleys only live a few miles away from the McGanns house and are seen as great businessmen in the area, owing hundreds of millions around place and the taxpayer,
    The McGanns are seen as idiots and fools for owing a few hundred thousand, looks like if your going to owe money, you might as well do it right.

And before anyone thinks i'm defending the McGanns, i'm not, the should have being evicted years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

pgj2015 wrote: »
    it wasn't the IRA anyway. just a bunch of thugs.
    Is there a difference?

You can feel the frustration of the judge in that article.

There’s an amateur reporter who supports them called Anna Kavanagh. Comments on her Facebook give an insight into the mentality of their supporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

There’s an amateur reporter who supports them called Anna Kavanagh. Comments on her Facebook give an insight into the mentality of their supporters.

I truly despair.

mgn wrote: »
    The Hanleys only live a few miles away from the McGanns house and are seen as great businessmen in the area, owing hundreds of millions around place and the taxpayer,

There is SFA respect in the area for the Hanleys, especially Alan Hanley. Bertie owed plenty of money in the 80's and only paid it back years later. Alan paid none of what he owed from the noughties.

People are sick of them too. Yes, they still employ a lot of people locally, but there's little love or respect for them.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    A forrestry would be burned. Crops would be burned. Social housing would be burned. Fcuk it, if you dug a hole there, it would be burned.

Not at all. Some of the lads that buy these houses would as quickly burn the locals out. Besides, give it a couple of years and no one will give a sh/te. It'll be sold one way or the other.

The only hope these morons have is convincing a friend to buy it for them, at a knockdown price, and trying to get it back that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭pgj2015

mgn wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/busted-developers-house-hits-market-for-500000-29059181.html

The McGanns are seen as idiots and fools for owing a few hundred thousand, looks like if your going to owe money, you might as well do it right.

And before anyone thinks i'm defending the McGanns, i'm not, the should have being evicted years ago.

Did anyone buy the house or did they get to keep it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I doubt the IRA care about a farm in stroketown. wanabe IRA maybe?

Their political wing seems to care about it enough to act as spokespeople for the McGann family

https://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/51917

https://www.mattcarthy.ie/carthy-to-host-stop-the-vultures-stop-the-evictions-event-in-strokestown-this-thursday/

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

I doubt the IRA care about a farm in stroketown. wanabe IRA maybe?

Lotta big sheds there though....save them building a circuit court an a prison if they gets into power.

Judge and punish in the one building like .....

Smart bize them Shinners...IRA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

There is SFA respect in the area for the Hanleys, especially Alan Hanley. Bertie owed plenty of money in the 80's and only paid it back years later. Alan paid none of what he owed from the noughties.

People are sick of them too. Yes, they still employ a lot of people locally, but there's little love or respect for them.

Do they own a quarry?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

blackwhite wrote: »

Unfortunately for themselves and at the expense of not getting future votes from the middle classes the Shinners always support anyone who is looking for something for nothing or those who pay nothing.

timple23 wrote: »
    Do they own a quarry?

Yes. And several construction companies, most of which went to the wall 10 years or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Yes. And several construction companies, most of which went to the wall 10 years or so ago.

Whut is they livin on ..this poster wonders...The Disabilithy ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,116 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Howley needs to give ‘em a ring up, Nev.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

timple23 wrote: »
    Do they own a quarry?

you cant trust anyone who owns a quarry in my experience

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    you cant trust anyone who owns a quarry in my experience

:eek:

Jaysus.....

I’d imagine that two of the siblings and two of the arrested have pensions.

The quarry still makes plenty of money and has been doing a huge trade the past 6 years. They'll get a big boost as the new N5 bypass is going right beside the quarry so they'll be in a good position to get a low tender in for that.

They had such a massive turnover and so many companies on the go here and abroad that i'd be shocked if they didn't have several million invested elsewhere.

Alan Hanley was big into his cars, always had a couple of Ferraris, Lamborghinis etc on the go, even at the height of the recession there were a couple of Lotus Espirit's parked outside. Bertie had a RR (or Bentley) for a long time and the usual Porsche's etc were always there. So they have always had some form of income.

The quarry still makes plenty of money and has been doing a huge trade the past 6 years. They'll get a big boost as the new N5 bypass is going right beside the quarry so they'll be in a good position to get a low tender in for that.

They had such a massive turnover and so many companies on the go here and abroad that i'd be shocked if they didn't have several million invested elsewhere.

Alan Hanley was big into his cars, always had a couple of Ferraris, Lamborghinis etc on the go, even at the height of the recession there were a couple of Lotus Espirit's parked outside. Bertie had a RR (or Bentley) for a long time and the usual Porsche's etc were always there. So they have always had some form of income.

Were they ‘garaged’ in the big sheds out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Odelay

Nothing like having two completely unrelated stories in the one thread for a bit of confusion.

Odelay wrote: »
    Nothing like having two completely unrelated stories in the one thread for a bit of confusion.

How come ?

Lookin at the big picture, me.

Do explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Yes you`re right but there is not too many local people who would give the Hanly`s much support at this stage but maybe I`m wrong. Bertie scorched a lot of issues back in the 80`s and 90`s and Alan did the same in the noughties so there is a fair bit of wreckage behind them. Speaking of which where is Catriona these days, have`nt heard sight or sound for a long time

Were they ‘garaged’ in the big sheds out the back.

Yes they were. One or two seriously interesting machines there that were never registered here and are back in the UK now. He had a mad idea about opening a supercar museum in Ballyfarnon, but that was put to bed a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Yes they were. One or two seriously interesting machines there that were never registered here and are back in the UK now. He had a mad idea about opening a supercar museum in Ballyfarnon, but that was put to bed a long time ago.

Why do you think that was a mad idea?

• Advertisement

Why do you think that was a mad idea?

Because only mad tossers would have any interest in it.

Wait... :eek:

Maybe not..........

Advertisement